Thermal Accumulator by phattpiggie

General Disaster

A Country Member
Thanks for the support everyone both @VGOODIEZ and myself really appreciate it.
Well thanks for the excellent vape gear in return! 🎉✨😵

Though I have to say I've started to find the downsides of the TA!
I'm getting far too blasted far too early in the day, cos I'm finding it hard to resist trying yet another go to refine technique, and also because it's simply nice to handle and use. Tactility being all for me. I'm suspecting a conspiracy of UK designers to produce stuff I can't put down regardless of needing a hit or not! This is personal targeting folks! I may be paranoid, but they're still out to get me!! 😨

They are too good! We can't let this continue! It may seem all nice and friendly now, but just you wait and see! This is going to bring on the apocalypse, mark my words! ⚡🔥❄🌡🌊🌊🌊

Last edited:
How big is the bowl compared to a Dynavap? Also I see you can adjust the bowl by pushing down till click. Is it easy to reduce again? Wondering whether it's easier to just set at max and then half fill. Would it still perform as well?

For a Dynavap I never bothered reducing and just put less material in if wanted half bowl.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

How big is the bowl compared to a Dynavap? Also I see you can adjust the bowl by pushing down till click. Is it easy to reduce again? Wondering whether it's easier to just set at max and then half fill. Would it still perform as well?
Mine holds about .1g at the deepest setting. It doesn't have grooves to catch the screen as you set it, but the screen is a formed dome and very stiff. Using the little dowel it's easy to press it to wherever you want it and friction holds it pretty solidly. You might use a chop stick or wooden skewer to push up from the neck.
For a Dynavap I never bothered reducing and just put less material in if wanted half bowl.
Might require a light tamp as you would probably be holding it horizontal; you'd want the screen to stay covered.

Last edited:

General Disaster

A Country Member
Mine holds about .1g at the deepest setting. It doesn't have grooves to catch the screen as you set it, but the screen is a formed dome and very stiff. Using the little dowel it's easy to press it to wherever you want it and friction holds it pretty solidly. You might use a chop stick or wooden skewer to push up from the neck.
I may have misread, but from mine (TA3) there is a metal ring that the domed gauze sits on, and this ring slides smoothly down the bowl as you push on it (and the gauze of course) with the dowel. It fits tightly enough to just leave it at any height, or it can go down until it stops dead at it's lowest level. I work on full bowls and just either pack less tightly if less weed, or let it settle a bit lower, doesn't seem a problem.

I think (but not 100% sure) that to raise it back up, it may be easiest to push or pull the gauze out completely, then the ring can be prised out with a metal probe or similar from above (top of bowl) or below, and then reset inside at desired level, and gauze reinserted (or replaced with a new one).

Oh yes, on the tamping thing and holding it horizontal, I found generally that after a toke that produces some vapour, this often seems to bind the weed together better so it doesn't fall out so easily. I think it's the volatile compounds melting and soaking into the plant material, and sticking it all together as it cools a bit. But that's a guess, though it does seem to bind better once hot whatever the reason.

For some reason I thought the bowl was bigger than a Dynavap bowl, which from my understanding holds 0.1g.

In that case gonna have to go full size and no half measures. 😜

Last edited:

General Disaster

A Country Member
For some reason I thought the bowl was bigger than a Dynavap bowl, which from my understanding holds 0.1g.
Well without actually filling and weighing I wouldn't like to dispute, and also the strain of weed and it's humidity will effect how much fits (not to mention how loose someone likes it, etc) but my impression was more like about 0.15 to 0.17-ish (depending on those previous factors). From the amount of avb, it's less than 0.2g, but I doubt it's a lot less than 0.15g. Regardless, it's not just the amount, it's how much the device can strip out of that bowl, and my (limited) experience with a DV was that it didn't have the heat capacity in the head, or the airflow (including bowl diameter which effects this greatly), and I'd prefer a 0.1g almost totally extracted, to 0.15g only ⅔ extracted and taking more tokes to clear it!
My personal suspicion is that once you get the method off pat, the TA is much more consistent in the heating, fewer hots spots and the like than a smaller device.

General Disaster,
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

I may have misread, but from mine (TA3) there is a metal ring that the domed gauze sits on, and this ring slides smoothly down the bowl as you push on it (and the gauze of course) with the dowel. It fits tightly enough to just leave it at any height, or it can go down until it stops dead at it's lowest level. I work on full bowls and just either pack less tightly if less weed, or let it settle a bit lower, doesn't seem a problem.
Once again you are correct. I didn't see that the ring was shoved and gooed in at the bottom of the bowl; in any case the screen is also easily adjustable without it. (the ring is a made of a couple wraps of stiff wire.) I cleaned it up and it moves again but even if it may not be absolutely necessary to set the screen it will help for sure, and it adds a spacer to hold the screen off the bowl's bottom, for much better airflow through the herbs.

I reweighed the herbs at the maximum bowl depth with the ring holding the screen slightly off the bowl's bottom, straw-packed and brushed level, then scraped out into the scale's pan; it was about the same as above.
IMG-7097.jpg
IMG-7100.jpg
IMG-7105.jpg
IMG-7107.jpg

I think (but not 100% sure) that to raise it back up, it may be easiest to push or pull the gauze out completely, then the ring can be prised out with a metal probe or similar from above (top of bowl) or below, and then reset inside at desired level, and gauze reinserted (or replaced with a new one).
I followed this successfully. After some ISO.
Oh yes, on the tamping thing and holding it horizontal, I found generally that after a toke that produces some vapour, this often seems to bind the weed together better so it doesn't fall out so easily. I think it's the volatile compounds melting and soaking into the plant material, and sticking it all together as it cools a bit. But that's a guess, though it does seem to bind better once hot whatever the reason.
Indeed. And with the screen near the top of the bowl a small am't fills the space pretty well.

It looks bigger, I'm surprised it measured the way it did, but I believe that was the full bowl with the screen held off the bottom slightly by the ring. I think if you set the screen at the bottom without the ring you could fit a little more.

Last edited:

sedentree

IMG-3796.jpg
I just set my full bowl, filled it with the straw method from my aroma-3, slight tamp with the provided dowel, came out at 0.13g for me.
I’ve been using it on the setting it came with as it were, maybe half or two thirds. Early days still but I’d say the consistency of the extraction is very good, excellent flavour, and I have the TA3 set quite closed and the experience is really to my liking, the best mouth to lung experience with a vape I’ve had.

General Disaster

A Country Member
Once again you are correct. I didn't see that the ring was shoved and gooed in at the bottom of the bowl; in any case the screen is also easily adjustable without it. (the ring is a made of a couple wraps of stiff wire.) I cleaned it up and it moves again but even if it may not be absolutely necessary to set the screen it will help for sure, and it adds a spacer to hold the screen off the bowl's bottom, for much better airflow through the herbs.
It was part guess work, plus what I could see and feel from adjusting it to full size.
But my best reason for keeping it in there is to provide a small space between the screen and the bottom of the bowl, the part surrounding the hole leading to the stem. It's possible (I didn't pull the screen out to look) that without that ring, the screen may settle on that circle of bowl base, and reduce the airflow!

That may of course not be an issue at all, even preferred, but I wanted biggest airflow for DTL's, and I found the same thing on a Dani Fusion 2 - when the screen was pushed right down to the bottom of the bowl, it significantly reduced the airflow, and I had to push it back up by 1mm or less (prob 0.5mm, but couldn't measure accurately at the time), and this opened it up back to how the half bowl setting had been, huge improvement. Of course the base of the bowl could be shaped (maybe grooved radially) so that wouldn't happen, or be much less an effect, but I can't say without looking beneath the screen.

I followed this successfully. After some ISO.
I'd drink some ethanol instead next time before trying this! ISO makes my eyes go all wobbly! 😉

IMG-3796.jpg
I just set my full bowl, filled it with the straw method from my aroma-3, slight tamp with the provided dowel, came out at 0.13g for me.
I’ve been using it on the setting it came with as it were, maybe half or two thirds. Early days still but I’d say the consistency of the extraction is very good, excellent flavour, and I have the TA3 set quite closed and the experience is really to my liking, the best mouth to lung experience with a vape I’ve had.
I think we all shred our different strains differently and pack the bowl in our own unique way, and using weight to measure bowl size isn't the best way? If I recall, didn't the bowl size originally get specced in volume not weight? (I may be thinking of something else though).

General Disaster,

sedentree

IMG-3798.jpg

580f until time over. Full bowl, maybe five great hits and two or three not bad, wasn’t really paying attention to the number of hits really 😅

Edit
I should mention i am not hitting this like any other of my vapes which are mostly longish slowish draws for me

coolbreeze

It was part guess work, plus what I could see and feel from adjusting it to full size.
I was stoned and my eyes barely work! ; )
But my best reason for keeping it in there is to provide a small space between the screen and the bottom of the bowl, the part surrounding the hole leading to the stem. It's possible (I didn't pull the screen out to look) that without that ring, the screen may settle on that circle of bowl base, and reduce the airflow!
Exactly.
That may of course not be an issue at all, even preferred, but I wanted biggest airflow for DTL's, and I found the same thing on a Dani Fusion 2 - when the screen was pushed right down to the bottom of the bowl, it significantly reduced the airflow, and I had to push it back up by 1mm or less (prob 0.5mm, but couldn't measure accurately at the time), and this opened it up back to how the half bowl setting had been, huge improvement. Of course the base of the bowl could be shaped (maybe grooved radially) so that wouldn't happen, or be much less an effect, but I can't say without looking beneath the screen.

I'd drink some ethanol instead next time before trying this! ISO makes my eyes go all wobbly! 😉
Lol. I woulda read the label if my eyes worked.
I think we all shred our different strains differently and pack the bowl in our own unique way, and using weight to measure bowl size isn't the best way? If I recall, didn't the bowl size originally get specced in volume not weight? (I may be thinking of something else though).
True, not intended to be definitive just a ballpark figure of what'll fit. I'm still surprised it measures the way it does, tbh.

General Disaster

A Country Member
It looks bigger, I'm surprised it measured the way it did, but I believe that was the full bowl with the screen held off the bottom slightly by the ring. I think if you set the screen at the bottom without the ring you could fit a little more.
Ah! I think I may not have been so on the ball this time. Just tried weighing out a couple tests. One came to more than 0.1g, but because it was a particularly dense batch of blueberry! And maybe a little on the dry side, not terrible, but enough to make it a little denser.

On trying something a little more usual, it indeed comes to about 0.1g, pretty much exactly what you found! Light packing, but only just enough to stay inside the bowl (I usually just press with a little finger tip, to set the level a tiny bit below the bowl wall). But that said, I've also been trying tearing small chunks off a stickyish bud and just jamming it in there, which works surprisingly well (as long as each little lump is small enough, and the air can flow around them, so loose packing), and I'm sure it packs more in, but I need to repeat and weight to be sure.

Alligator427

I will use the stem of the tempest at the beginning when I will received my TA3, but I would like to have a stem/wpa dedicated. What will be the best option to use with bubbler/bang ?
I preffer glass and I will pick a wand at the end of this month.

General Disaster

A Country Member
I will use the stem of the tempest at the beginning when I will received my TA3, but I would like to have a stem/wpa dedicated. What will be the best option to use with bubbler/bang ?
I preffer glass and I will pick a wand at the end of this month.
Just to say, if you do go the route of using Tempest stem to start with (makes sense financially) I'd advise getting something to insulate the metal from your fingers. My experience with the Revolve2 and TA3 showed there was a lot of heat dumped into the stem following one bowl extracted, especially on the bowl side. A wooden sleeve is probably the best although it has a small reduction of cooling but mostly toward the end of the bowl, and not enough to make the vapour hot at all! But that heat has to go somewhere and the half of the stem nearer the bowl gets pretty warm to the touch with the metal. PP's bobbin for the Revolve would be ideal if no wooden sleeve, but would need reaming out 1mm (give or take) as the 'pests stem is a fraction thicker than Revolve2.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Quick one on the subject of 'how much does the bowl hold'.

To me it's nonsensical to give out weights when talking on this subject.

As we all know weed has variables such as destiny and moisture content. Take any information given like this as a rough guide.

In my opinion the only true numbers you can rely on with no variables is through measured volume.

Measurements taken full bowl with no screens fitted using the screen groove as the height. The screens will take up a bit of space or add a bit if dished.

VC as a comparator.

M bowls are approximately 0.5cc.

TA are approximately 0.94cc.

btka

Just to say, if you do go the route of using Tempest stem to start with (makes sense financially) I'd advise getting something to insulate the metal from your fingers. My experience with the Revolve2 and TA3 showed there was a lot of heat dumped into the stem following one bowl extracted, especially on the bowl side. A wooden sleeve is probably the best although it has a small reduction of cooling but mostly toward the end of the bowl, and not enough to make the vapour hot at all! But that heat has to go somewhere and the half of the stem nearer the bowl gets pretty warm to the touch with the metal. PP's bobbin for the Revolve would be ideal if no wooden sleeve, but would need reaming out 1mm (give or take) as the 'pests stem is a fraction thicker than Revolve2.
Sh** thought pp‘s wood bobbin will fit also on the tempest stem…

Top Bottom