The Toad from Morwood

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@Zuhdj et al I've actually been pretty disappointed with a bunch of P28A I just got from 18650 battery store. I don't really notice it in the Toad at all, but in another vape the battery life wasn't really improved over some older P26A I had on hand. I tested the capacity in my charger and the P28A came out to 2600 and change mah (e.g. like 2667), which is closer to the rated capacity of the P26A than what the 28A should have gotten. Maybe it was a bad batch from 18650 Battery store or something and why I was able to get a bunch of them for $3 in a sale 🤷‍♂️.

Kind of OT though: in the toad they perform fine, and I don't notice the battery life drop. I've only used Molicel with my Toad so far, so I can't comment on how something else would perform but the molicel have been otherwise great. It gets up to temp very fast when the batteries are almost fully charged: I will do a fast 4 count vs 8 - 12 as the voltage drops, so you need to be aware of the unregulated nature of the game. Otherwise I happily use them down to ~3.6V, when the heat time becomes noticeably onerous for me such that I have to take very long draws or really lean into the preheat, so around there is when I swap and charge them up.

Still otherwise very happy with my Toad! Its been my go-to vape unless friends are over. I have come to love the unregulated ritual, and now that I know the vape some its pretty easy for me to do lower temp hits even with the high heater. I've taken to taking it along in my bag (or pocket if I'm just going for a walk around a nearby lake) with the wooden stem loaded with the beads, as I still find it pretty hot without some cooling for my tastes.

Its been wonderful as a microdosing vape, but I've been experimenting with larger loads some as well. This will sound really goofy (and it kind of is), but in some sense it is making me a better--or at least more knowledgeable--vaporizer user! I was finding with most of my vapes that the very top layer of flower exposed to the heater always ended up darker than the rest of the avb. It looks like a really uneven bake, but usually dumping the load out onto a paper towel revealed it wasn't as bad as it looked, just the bit exposed to the heater was much darker. I thought this was inevitable: just that layer of flower acting like a "blast shield" or something to that effect. Its absorbing heat from the air stream at its hottest. However, with the Toad I am finding that slower draws beginning at a lower temp (e.g. if I'm aiming to vape at temp x, start at x - y, though I couldn't tell you the variables here at all, the value of y and even x is just something I'm developing an intuition for with my toad) and continuing until I'm up to my desired temp don't cause this and produce a visually more even bake. I couldn't tell you if that is a worthwhile goal to chase after or just a visual artifact of the physics in play in a vaporizer, but its been a pleasant learning exercise for me. I never approached my draws as though I should suck for all I'm worth (the golfball through a garden hose thing), but most of my regulated vapes were so comfortable with a wide open draw that I never bothered to think about draw speed, as I considered it a relic of the unregulated days.

While I'm finding that is true to some extent (again, I couldn't tell you more even colored avb implies that I am extracting more or anything like that), its been cool for me to discover and sort of correct without really trying to consciously fix it. I assume with a faster draw the blast shield thing holds to some extent, its just that when you get to your flower you're hitting an area of restriction: with a more controlled draw the different velocities before and after/while the air passes the load aren't so extreme. With an uncontrolled draw presumably there is more of a difference, and as the faster higher temp air is bottlenecked I guess the excess heat produces the darker colored front.

Most of this is rambling because I enjoyed a bowl earlier, so I apologize if it doesn't all seem as coherent as I might like it to be :)! I'm off today, so just catching up around here and sharing my musings and observations as I've gotten more comfortable with my Toad!

P.S. This is maybe also slightly OT so I can move it to a dedicated wood/woodcare thread if necessary, but has anyone tried https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075LP6ZGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for treating their wood? I've seen a few woodworkers swear by it + their oil. I just ordered the wax for now as I wasn't sure how the oil would work on a vape, but if anyone who knows wood really well wants to share their experiences or suggestions I'm all for ways to keep all of mine nice. Even if its not necessary to preserve the wood, I find it looks and feels a little better after a waxing, and I think it is meant to provide some protection from moisture.

gordontreeman

@gordontreeman Yeah I don't think there is any practical difference between the P28A and the P26A regardless, pretty negligible
Longer battery life is all 200 mah should add to my understanding. The other parameters are supposed to be the same (in terms of cdr and things like that). It’s just disappointing they they tested so far below spec.

gordontreeman,

EarthworldTim

Longer battery life is all 200 mah should add to my understanding. The other parameters are supposed to be the same (in terms of cdr and things like that). It’s just disappointing they they tested so far below spec.
If you check out the molicel 28A review it states that the mah range is within 2600-2800. I'm not a battery expert but I believe there's always some variability between cells/batches.

P28A Review

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Yeah, my point is that that potential 200 mah is a negligible amount of battery life, maybe an extra hit or two or a few, in my experience

gordontreeman

If you check out the molicel 28A review it states that the mah range is within 2600-2800. I'm not a battery expert but I believe there's always some variability between cells/batches.

P28A Review
For sure. I don’t expect all of them to measure 2800 mah on the money. I guess 200 seems like a big swing, but it’s only ~7% of 2600 so maybe that is within normal tolerances.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Here's a fresh batch.

Stats for this batch,

Top 5 Most Popular:

No. 068 – Indigo fade with orange mushroom

No. 059 - Vaporwave style with cannabis leaves (5 people had this as their top choice!)

No. 065 - Misty landscape

No. 067 - Gnarly pine

No. 060 - Green fade with hints of blue

There were 15 available Toads to choose from for this batch and everyone was asked for their top 8 picks. Of the 15 people participating, 7 people got their first choice, 3 people got their second choice, 4 people got their third choice, and 1 person who got their 7th choice decided to wait until next batch.

I'll be offering out 071 (two-tone green) via the Toad lottery - so those who are on the waitlist can watch out for that email today.

Definitely had a lot of fun painting this batch, some old favorites (with a few tweaks) came back, and I'm starting to fall into a deeper groove with my painting style.

------

059 - Vaporwave style with cannabis leaves - Abalone button

DSCF9464.jpg

DSCF9465.jpg

060 - Green fade with hints of blue - Lichen button

DSCF9466.jpg

DSCF9467.jpg

061 - Vintage packaging design - Mammoth ivory button

DSCF9468.jpg

DSCF9469.jpg

062 - Sunset fade with Japanese text - a simplified version of the word "toad" - Ancient bog oak button

DSCF9470.jpg

DSCF9471.jpg

070 - Retro analog design- Japanese text reads "Toad" - Ancient bog oak button

DSCF9473.jpg

DSCF9474.jpg

064 - Dragonfly hunting a butterfly - Lichen button

DSCF9475.jpg

DSCF9476.jpg

065 - Misty landscape - Lichen button

DSCF9477.jpg

DSCF9478.jpg

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Part 2

066 - Rust and cream with logo stamp - Lichen button

DSCF9479.jpg

DSCF9480.jpg

067 - Gnarly pine - Lichen button

DSCF9481.jpg

DSCF9482.jpg

068 - Indigo fade - Orange mushroom button (Northern cinnabar polypore)

DSCF9483.jpg

DSCF9484.jpg

069 - Faux urushi finish - Ancient bog oak button

DSCF9485.jpg

DSCF9486.jpg

071 - Two-tone green - Lichen button

DSCF9487.jpg

DSCF9488.jpg

072 - Forest green with cream - Japanese text reads "toad" - Lichen button

DSCF9490.jpg

DSCF9491.jpg

073 - Weathered industrial design - lichen button

DSCF9492.jpg

DSCF9493.jpg

063 - Soft green and cream with logo stamp - Lichen button

DSCF9494.jpg

DSCF9495.jpg

gordontreeman

Love seeing the new toads! I can see why the Vaporwave piece was so popular! The white sleeve and colors of the design are 🤤, and the button really ties everything together well. I also really, really love the colors on the sunset fade and misty landscape!

Congrats to the new owners!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Alright I love the colors for the sunset fade, don't think we had seen those hues before yet? And obviously I would have chosen indigo fade with the orange mushroom button too... But this batch I gotta give it to the weathered industrial toad 073, that's my number one! Some very lucky new toaders!!

Last edited:

vapour

It blows my mind how diverse of tastes are represented in these batches. I was lucky enough to participate (and got my first choice 64 woop woop) but it's awesome that even in a relatively small sample size of 15 almost half got their first choice. Ranking these was hard af. 073 and 072 were some of my favs but honestly you couldn't go wrong with any of them

99944nt

I was told I would be on the October/November batch, but I didnt get an email? :( did I miss out?

99944nt,

passenger

is this thing on?
I received my out and about device some days ago and it is a joy to use outdoors. It's a work of art! Every little detail of it is amazing. I think Dan really is in his own league - it's amazingly crafted all the way.
Functionwise I think I'm going to love this, I am having a great time with it so far. Flavor is great and I like unregulated, the way I use it I'm probably the high heater type. The heater itself is a work of art too.

Toad-1-von-3.jpg

Toad-2-von-3.jpg

Toad-3-von-3.jpg

Top Bottom