The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

SteveOG

Do you mean revolve with a Dynavap tip? No offense but comparing Dynavap to Tempest is like comparing a bicycle to a rocket ship. Doesn't make sense to even compare.

I'm sure there will be plenty people putting a Tempest tip on a Revolve stem though.
I was more wondering if there were any reviews of the two offerings. Obvioulsy people were happy with the Revolve 2 and the options that came with it so wanted to know what reasons people have to upgrade to Tempest set up

SteveOG,
Reactions: dimmusp

RedZep

I was more wondering if there were any reviews of the two offerings. Obvioulsy people were happy with the Revolve 2 and the options that came with it so wanted to know what reasons people have to upgrade to Tempest set up
It's more that people want the Tempest because it's a gigantic upgrade to Dynavaps. The Tempest stem is designed for the Tempest, but the Revolve can be used.

You realize the Tempest isn't just a stem right? It's a complete vape.

RedZep,
Reactions: Lwd0003

SteveOG

man... now I need this too :)

lower the temp, you need to drop the temp in the wand by 50-75f, the boro heats up more in the same time

I have both a Revolve Gen 2 - which I am using with a Thermal Accumulator - and I have the Tempest. The Revolve Gen 2 is handling the TA3 totally fine (with a Tempest wooden sleeve) but the reclaim screen seems to restrict the airflow noticeably - which is good for the TA as I MTL but its the only thing that I notice that's different in my general use of both of them side by side

This reminds me, the spherical Rubies, when I was playing with spherical Rubies in the Tempest I found that it took longer to heat up and cool down but without increasing the amount of vapour in any meaningful way. I didn't like the extra power that was required to get the spherical Rubies to a adequate temp - its great in devices with a coil as it seems to handle the temp really well in that situation, but I don't like them in my wireless or manual vapes.

Where did you get the metal stands that your pieces are sitting in?

SteveOG

It's more that people want the Tempest because it's a gigantic upgrade to Dynavaps. The Tempest stem is designed for the Tempest, but the Revolve can be used.

You realize the Tempest isn't just a stem right? It's a complete vape.
I do. Thats what interests me. If you compare the complete Tempest aginst a Revolve 2 with the Dynavap cap and stem config

SteveOG,
Reactions: RedZep

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
I do. Thats what interests me. If you compare the complete Tempest aginst a Revolve 2 with the Dynavap cap and stem config
So you mean a full Tempest against a Revolve stem with a DV-tip/cap mounted on it (not sure what you mean with the "stem config" as there is just the Revolve stem and the DV tip/cap, nothing more)

I hate to say so but this comparison cannot be done! :D
There is just no contest... It's unfair towards DV...

In all seriousness: it's a completely different vape.
The Revolve stem shows a lot of simularities with the Tempest stem hence the confusion sometimes: the inside cooling spiral and the mouthpiece are practically the same...
But the real difference is in the top section. The DV tip/cap is totally different compared to the Tempest head.
The Tempest has balls in the (fixed) head of the tip that store heat and deliver enough energy during a long enough period to easily finish a bowl without having to reheat it. Let's say you get a good minute of "puffing time" when you are leasurely taking hits from a hot device.
Where the DV tip will just give you one or two/three draws per heating cycle.
Also: since it's the ball head that heats up the Tempest offers more of a convection style (with some conduction happening along the way) as opposed to the DV tip that works on conduction by heating up the bowl/herb while torching.

Hope that clarifies/answers your questions somehow?

Edit to add: The Tempest also offers two indicators to show it's hot: a click disc and a Visual Indicator!

SteveOG

So you mean a full Tempest against a Revolve stem with a DV-tip/cap mounted on it (not sure what you mean with the "stem config" as there is just the Revolve stem and the DV tip/cap, nothing more)

I hate to say so but this comparison cannot be done! :D
There is just no contest... It's unfair towards DV...

In all seriousness: it's a completely different vape.
The Revolve stem shows a lot of simularities with the Tempest stem hence the confusion sometimes: the inside cooling spiral and the mouthpiece are practically the same...
But the real difference is in the top section. The DV tip/cap is totally different compared to the Tempest head.
The Tempest has balls in the (fixed) head of the tip that store heat and deliver enough energy during a long enough period to easily finish a bowl without having to reheat it. Let's say you get a good minute of "puffing time" when you are leasurely taking hits from a hot device.
Where the DV tip will just give you one or two/three draws per heating cycle.
Also: since it's the ball head that heats up the Tempest offers more of a convection style (with some conduction happening along the way) as opposed to the DV tip that works on conduction by heating up the bowl/herb while torching.

Hope that clarifies/answers your questions somehow?

Edit to add: The Tempest also offers two indicators to show it's hot: a click disc and a Visual Indicator!
Yep. Thanks. Thats a great explanation. I've just ordered a black Revolve 2 stem. If that goes well with me I will then step into the Tempest as an complete upgrade or just the Tempest head. Cheers for the info.

RedZep

Tempest is many times magnitude superior in potency, airflow, taste, cloud production, versatility, extraction.

I'm not being facetious, it's so superior that comparing them becomes a bit of a joke to be honest. They are not in the same league, nevermind weight class.

Someone going to a Tempest from a Dynavap would have their world rocked. Tempest should be compared with desktop ball vapes if anything.

jbm

If you’d like to keep making apocalyptic comparisons, feel free to open a thread elsewhere - device specific threads are for that device alone, not for comparing them. Maybe we just need an “imminent death of Dynavap” thread somewhere where we can all post how whatever we’re using will kill off the old, moribund DV FOR ONCE AND FOR ALL

Last edited:

RedZep

If you’d like to keep making apocalyptic comparisons, feel free to open a thread elsewhere - device specific threads are for that device alone, not for comparing them. Maybe we just need an “imminent death of Dynavap” thread somewhere where we can all post how whatever we’re using will kill off the old, moribund DV FOR ONCE AND FOR ALL
Sure. Bit of an exaggeration though. Dynavap will always have a large market share. That's like saying a new sports car release will end economy hatchbacks.

I tried to keep my answer brief, and not go into detailed technical comparison. I'll refrain from answering such questions in the future.

RedZep,

jbm

Sure. Bit of an exaggeration though. Dynavap will always have a large market share. That's like saying a new sports car release will end economy hatchbacks.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. I remember when the Anvil came out there were a ton of “Dynavap is doomed now” posts, which turned out to be wrong. The Tempest will not end DV.

RedZep

Exactly the point I was trying to make. I remember when the Anvil came out there were a ton of “Dynavap is doomed now” posts, which turned out to be wrong. The Tempest will not end DV.
I don't think anyone said the Tempest will end it either. Some vapes are simply better than others. Tempest is much better than DV, but also more expensive.

Cannabis is legal in Germany now. Who do you think will have vaporisers in every headshop in Germany soon? My money is on Dynavap. It's cheap, reliable and has substantial brand recognition. It's not going anywhere. So if you are a dynavap fan, I think you have no need to reflect such insecurities every times a better performing vape is released.

In the meantime if someone asks me which is a better vape out of Dynavap and Tempest, they are going to get an honest answer, because in terms of performance there are lightyears between them. Tempest is more comparable with Couchlog, ZX etc in terms of price and performance.

jbm

It's cheap, reliable and has substantial brand recognition. It's not going anywhere. So if you are a dynavap fan, I think you have no need to reflect such insecurities every times a better performing vape is released.
You misunderstand if you would like to simply dismiss me as a DV fanboy. But I’ve hijacked this thread enough. I will simply return to my original point that “technical comparisons” don’t belong in device-specific threads.

jbm,

RedZep

You misunderstand if you would like to simply dismiss me as a DV fanboy. But I’ve hijacked this thread enough. I will simply return to my original point that “technical comparisons” don’t belong in device-specific threads.
I don't want to paint you as a fanboy. I said fan. I'm a fan of Tempest, and several other vapes. I also had no intent to offend. I'm arguing in good faith.

I agree, no technical comparisons in main thread. Mainly as it completely derails the thread in comparative minutia.

Btw I was an OG Dynavap fan. Bought one of the very first units, and have personal email threads from George. It's a great vape in it's price range, but in Tempest price range it is outclassed. All vapes have their place.

SteveOG

I'm not sure of your point/purpose on this. I asked a general question regarding the differences between the Revolve 2 and the Tempest. Both MH iterations of a TED. I'm gateful that people replied and we could have a short "Chat" about it. So technical comparisons do belong in this thread as essentially the Tempest is a Revolve 3 iteration plus more.

RedZep

I'm not sure of your point/purpose on this. I asked a general question regarding the differences between the Revolve 2 and the Tempest. Both MH iterations of a TED. I'm gateful that people replied and we could have a short "Chat" about it. So technical comparisons do belong in this thread as essentially the Tempest is a Revolve 3 iteration plus more.
It's a forum rule to not debate technical differences between vapes.

Any detailed analysis should be done in PM's or in a comparison thread. I have to be honest, making a comparison thread between Dynavap and Tempest would be absurd and a little silly. They don't compare, and nor should they. I guess you could make a thread asking how your experience as a Vaper would change if you purchased a Tempest. My short answer would be a lot.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
@SteveOG there's a couple of video's in this thread showing people hit a Tempest.
It might have "behooved me" or would have been more 'thread-ettiquette-appropriate' if i had refered you to watching those so you could see the difference in performance/use-style with your own eyes instead of me going into detail like i did.
Ever so sorry for hurting any sensitive souls out there... ;) (Just joking here... :uhoh:)
Anyhooo, if you go back a couple of pages i'm sure you will see some video's to check out!

But essentially i stick to my earlier point: it's a completely different vape because of the tip and how it works.
The Tempest is a portable ball vape and not a DV-style TED-variant...
So yeah, not really a fair comparison to make.
They serve a different purpose imo, they offer a different experience and apart from looks they share little to no similarities...

ezpz

Is this an allowable thread specific comparison?
Tempest vs. Tempest head on Revolve gen 2 stem.

Tempest stem is slightly larger than Rev2 stem, so usual benefits apply. Easier to spin, more comfortable to hold, slightly cooler vapor, and most importantly to me, looks. Tempest head is very top heavy. Looks more balanced on the bigger Tempest stem than it does on Rev2 stem. Probably easier to hold with just your lips (if that matters).

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Is this an allowable thread specific comparison?
Tempest vs. Tempest head on Revolve gen 2 stem.

Tempest stem is slightly larger than Rev2 stem, so usual benefits apply. Easier to spin, more comfortable to hold, slightly cooler vapor, and most importantly to me, looks. Tempest head is very top heavy. Looks more balanced on the bigger Tempest stem than it does on Rev2 stem. Probably easier to hold with just your lips (if that matters).

I agree!
While i does work i don't really like the Tempest/Revolve combo. Like you say: it does look a little off and the balance isn't quite right with the heavy head on the slimmer/lighter Revolve. I think performance is ok but the Revolve stem does get quite hot imo (especially with back to back bowls)..

A shame in a way because i really really love my Revolves...
Both to hold and to behold... ;)
I will probably still use the Revolves cooling spirals and mouthpieces but i do feel like the Tempest stem/heatshield is much more fitting and better performing when using the Tempesthead.

johnnyCanuck

70% is best for disinfecting because it doesn't evaporate as quickly, and its longer duration is more effective at killing bacteria. For solvent use, like cleaning a vape, I believe stronger is better.
For disinfecting, the solvent weakens the bacterial cell wall allowing the 30% water in the solution to enter the cell and eventually burst/killing it (lysis).
100% iso just weakens the cell wall but not as effective in killing bacteria as there’s not enough water for lysis to occur.

For cleaning, higher concentration of iso the better.

borbjorbis

Has anyone else experienced a sore throat after using the Tempest? I can't tell if its just the strain I have (it's very terpy), or the temperature I'm vaping at (I prefer low temps), or something completely unrelated to vaping, but I started having what I can only describe as like a citric acid-feeling coating my throat, and it seems to go away after I stop using the Tempest for a couple days.

Using my TM2, Dynavap, and E-Nano, I haven't had the same issue, as far as I can tell. The vapor from the Tempest feels "wetter" than the other three (or maybe I should say the vapor from the other devices is drier), if that makes any sense, and that seems to play a part in the sore throat feeling.

It's a shame because everything about the ritual, signature, and flavor of the Tempest is perfect to me, but this unexpected sore throat thing has me a little worried that maybe I haven't defeated VAS after all.

Last edited:

RedZep

Has anyone else experienced a sore throat after using the Tempest? I can't tell if its just the strain I have (it's very terpy), or the temperature I'm vaping at (I prefer low temps), or something completely unrelated to vaping, but I started having what I can only describe as like a citric acid-feeling coating my throat, and it seems to go away after I stop using the Tempest for a couple days.

Using my TM2, Dynavap, and E-Nano, I haven't had the same issue, as far as I can tell. The vapor from the Tempest feels "wetter" than the other three (or maybe I should say the vapor from the other devices is drier), if that makes any sense, and that seems to play a part in the sore throat feeling.

It's a shame because everything about the ritual, signature, and flavor of the Tempest is perfect to me, but this unexpected sore throat thing has me a little worried that maybe I haven't defeated VAS after all.
Never had anything like that. Is your device clean? I use mine multiple times a day, and therefore clean it twice a week.

RedZep,
Top Bottom