The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
That reminds me.... after a lot of playing around, after multiple different torches.... I decided I prefer the use of the Wand as an initial heat up for the Tempest, to get a full, consistent heat across the whole oven as compared to using a butane torch...

I HATE admitting that as I wanted it to be torch first... however - I can't add heat with the Wand - so after the VI drops below the first mark, I can't successfully reheat with the Wand unless I let it cool, but with a single flame torch I can add additional heat and get more out of the bowl without having to cool the device... so It kind of saves the ritual by having that in the process to complete a bowl (usually a sandwich/rosin bowl - - a single heat is often enough to extract the herbs without requiring a reheat / adding heat during the session)
You never fully explained why you can't add heat with the Wand. I'm guessing it's because the indicators don't work as expected if the Tempest is already warm?

No matter. I suggest that you can add heat with the Wand and you can do it at any point in the heat cycle without combusting. I use my mouth as an indicator. Just re-heat with the Wand at the end of the Tempest, freehand, while taking sips every couple of seconds to test for vapor production. Once you feel the vapor coming, you can just put the Wand down and keep puffing. Repeat as necessary.

I've never combusted using this method with the Stunner that has no click or visual indicators.

Its like my lungs have an absorption limit, it can only absorb so much THC out of the air at one time. If I take the whole bowl in one breath, it doesn't have the same effect as if i take the same bowl and spit it over 5-7 smaller breaths. To me it feels like taking smaller breaths allows the body to absorb more overall in comparison to taking one big large breath - in addition to having a layering affect, with each breath layering the affects on top of the last.

*shrugs* just my subjective experience
Inhaling over a larger number of smaller breaths vs one massive inhale does indeed maximize absorption. There's a thread discussing the physics of this somewhere.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
No matter. I suggest that you can add heat with the Wand and you can do it at any point in the heat cycle without combusting. I use my mouth as an indicator. Just re-heat with the Wand at the end of the Tempest, freehand, while taking sips every couple of seconds to test for vapor production. Once you feel the vapor coming, you can just put the Wand down and keep puffing. Repeat as necessary.
its 1am, I will explain what I mean tomorrow about addinh heat but I did figure out a way that worked with the Wand after I posted and was to lazy to go back and fix it.

Inhaling over a larger number of smaller breaths vs one massive inhale does indeed maximize absorption. There's a thread discussing the physics of this somewhere.
I will search around - the Tempest gives both options anyway

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Had a poker game a few days ago, the other partaking guys were all combusting J-smokers.

Pretty early in the game i had a good hand on a decent pot. I used that moment to take out my

Licence to Chill

Not made for it but it's the perfect fit!

Took out the wand, threw the Tempest in and started it up while i pretended to be focused on contemplating my next move.
Waited till wand timed out, took a big hit and said
"Hmmmmm..... All in"
just before exhaling a huge cloud of fragrant vapor, clouding their judgement! (Concentration was successfully compromised! LoL)
Proceeded with some small puffs, increasingly bending the minds of the combusters around me!
Smokers were like: "WTF dude??"
Two of them took my puffing for bluffing and called me!
Good hand!

Let a few of them try it out (after warning them officially) and sure enough: they got too high too fast (first time vaping) and lost their chips ever so smoothly to yours truly! :brow:
(un)fortunately we play for small amounts so i didn't feel guilty afterwards... :lol:
Future Tempest buyers were made!!

grognard3r

Good idea, thanks, there’s plenty of space for 2. I thought it would reduce the airflow quite a bit, but it’s perfectly fine actually. You can tighten the 2nd screen onto the first and it’s pretty much fixed in place then, it def won’t move anywhere. It’s not easy to tighten it without the Reload tool, other screwdrivers can slip out. The leather case will have a tool for it as well.

That's a solid idea. I will do THAT 2nd ball screen for sure.

Whenever the final drop goes live, I'll add those screens to my wishlist (along with glass sleeves, rosewood stem, Wand stand, bowl screens, and gosh, I wish I had a money tree...)

@Brenyo, I sure hope your stock will be HUGE! Based of my own nerve-wracking experience of waiting for drops/ordering, I anticipate another "sold like hotcakes" phenomenon. I mean, I'm so glad there is the hype. I wish you a ton of success with this absolutely fantastic device.

I touched my Venty the other day (in over a month) and felt "meh" about it. The Tempest is what I use. In my view, other vapes are inferior.

I haven't had the balls out of my Tempest head yet, intentionally or otherwise. I have still been cleaning the balls by soaking the head in ISO and rinsing with hot water. I have occasionally unscrewed the screen to see if the balls look dirty, which they usually do. But they look fine after a good soak and rinse. I have never had the balls come out accidentally. I did get 100 2.5mm balls from ebay as backup should I lose some. When the Tempest is released I will likely add some 3mm balls from MH to the wood stem and additional head I intend to order just to try them out. While I have intended to pull the balls out and clean them in a spoon with the flame from a torch, I haven't yet done that. I have since read that the shock of that could cause some of the balls to crack or break, but that may only be larger balls that that is likely to happen to. Regardless, since I have backup that is not really a concern for me.

I've NEVER had a problem with a ball screen falling out. It has been a source of worry, though. I've handled my Tempests like babies because of it. (Yeah, I patiently waited through 2 drops--Nov 2023 and Jan 2024--nail-biting.)

(Knock on wood) I'll not ever have the "my flaming balls fell out" scenario. Based on my own record, the ball retaining screens have remained 100% firmly in place.

I saw the "spoon" method of ball cleaning, but I just do NOT want to risk taking a 100% secure screen out and fucking it up upon reinstalation.

For any of you out there who are like-minded ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it"), try ball cleaning as described below. I don't mean this previous comment as a knock to those who easily slip tiny parts in and out of other tiny parts. I'm a fit 50+ year old guy who still can control hands well, but I'm just not as skilled as a younger me with my former dexterity.

The short version of ball cleaning: create a heat inferno with a MASSIVE torch (until the Tempest tip glows red...minus the VI and spring housing). Any debris that had been gunking airflow up will be incinerated. Keep that red glow going for as long as you are comfortable. It's a bit of a game of chicken to see how long you can sustain that inferno. I keep my glowing for about 10 to 15 seconds.

Believe me: once you heat clean your balls, you will ask yourself why you waited so long. Taste and overall enjoyment go way up with cleaned out balls. Before you clean that intense way, take at least one more hit with what you think are "clean" balls. Take note for future comparison.
Amazing tip for your tips!

There has been a lot of swapped ideas back and forth about what the best way to clean the balls in the tip of the Tempest.

I have stumbled upon (what I think is) the absolute best tip to unclog any mess on your Zirconia balls!

The best part is you do not need to soak in ISO and/or take the balls out. Just leave your balls where they are, and you can get them spotless!

Secret fear: someday I will drop the Tempest and dislodge the balls. I remember a post from months ago when this happened to someone else. I sure hope I did not tempt the Gods with that statement.

Get yourself a mega torch. I mean BIG!

Click on that above link to take you to the profile of the "Big Buddy" torch by Blazer so you know what to look for. The price is in US dollars, but for those of you outside the US, I am sure you can find that big-ass Blazer torch in a local tobacco shop. I do not recommend buying from that Blazer website, and I REALLY do not recommend the Blazer PB 207 (for things like Tempests or Dynavaps). I bought my Big Buddy from a brick and mortar tobacco store.

Warning: I DO NOT recommend the Big Buddy torch to heat up anything to inhale. Use this ONLY for cleaning purposes. I originally got this mega torch to try out the VHB Glass Slide. One of the links on that page shows just how large a flame you need to heat the glass up. Btw, that VHB slide is a (clunky) "relative" to the Tempest if you see how it works (except on the Tempest, there is no slide that goes up/down).

BEST METHOD to clean Zirconia balls
(sorry, I can't load photos today); maybe later in the week):

Remove the cap with the spring and VI at the tip top. Set it aside on a magnet. Then remove the outer shell that you rotate to open/close the tip's airpath. You want the tip of the Tempest as naked as you can get it.

Find some sturdy tweezers, and they need to be big, like here. In that link, I used the tweezers second from the left. Lodge the ends of the tweezers into the tip of the Tempest so that they rest just below the screen that holds the balls in place. Make sure the hold is firmly in place.

Be sure you have a safe place to gently place a massively burning Tempest tip in a moment to cool! I made the mistake of placing it inside Scruffy Woofers cooling stand, and the tip was soooo hot that it loosened the magnet from the base. I was able to fix that, but I recommend being right next to a hunk of metal where you can place the tip the moment you are done throwing flame onto it.

Use the Big Buddy flame to encase the Tempest tip so that it glows. Just bathe those balls in fire for about 20 seconds. Your Tempest head will glow to a dark red. Maybe I was imagining it, but I thought I could see the balls through the glowing walls.

*********************ONE MORE WARNING: keep the flame located ONLY on the area with balls. If the flame slips lower down, it will leave a scorch mark. My Tempest head is black, so visually it is hard to see the scorch, but it is there. I can live with that scorch mark, but some of you might not be cool with a blemish like that. I hope you avoid this, especially if you have other colors that would show more visibly if it had been heated to an extreme.

Let that head cool off for a LONG time. I do not recommend placing the heated head on a piece of metal and then placing that metal on something else, like a wooden table or plastic. Just put the head down and leave it alone.

Once you re-attach everything to your Tempest, I am 100% sure you will notice a HUGE difference in air flow.

I have had a Tempest since the beginning of December 2023; until now, my cleaning routine had included bathing the balls in ISO. I will no longer use that method. I had been under the impression that ISO had been enough to clean the gunk, but man, I was wrong! It really blew my mind what a difference there now is in ease of airflow. I truly recommend cleaning this way.

I hope this helps someone!

Btw, today I entertained the idea of selling all my former vapes off in a bundle. I have some great Dynavaps, Simrell stems, a Mighty, and a Venty. I'd take that money from my former vapes, and get another Tempest. I don't use/need any of the others now that I have my Tempest. If I could pick one vape to go with me to an isolated island (with lots of herb), it would be the Tempest hands down.

Also, I simply have to say that this Tempest is one product that I could get behind as a salesperson. I have not really felt that way about any other product in my life so far.

How many of you live in areas of the world where cannabis is legal, and you often have companies, such as Mad, come into the dispensary to market their products? I bet if Mad came to set up shop in one of the local dispensaries here (in CA), they could sell a ton of those Tempests. As a bonus besides making a ton of money via Tempest sales, Mad could road trip around California--and try out the famous weed in their famous vape.

Feyd2blak

I've had mine since Nov, no issues with the ball screen, usually has a little bit of give backwards but has never come close to falling out. Cleaned the balls in the head in iso but probably prefer giving them a torch in a metal sieve. Can see the results and frankly just very satisfying :evil:I just work over a big bowl when removing them, even if some get loose it's too big for them to bounce out and can just pour back in with a funnel.
@Brenyo will the upgrade kit for test kits include the new 3mm balls or best to order some with the kit?

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Is there new wooden stem stock coming too?
The Revolve wood sleeves won’t be available anymore, just the new one.
@Brenyo will the upgrade kit for test kits include the new 3mm balls or best to order some with the kit?
Still unsure on the final size, the 2.5mm fits better as you have to be very specific with the number of balls on the 3mm making the assembly more difficult. It might come with a free bag of balls of your choice instead.

ahm123

The Revolve wood sleeves won’t be available anymore, just the new one.

Still unsure on the final size, the 2.5mm fits better as you have to be very specific with the number of balls on the 3mm making the assembly more difficult. It might come with a free bag of balls of your choice instead.
what is the correct number of 2.5 balls when using a second screen? i too had the same issue with the balls falling out but thankfully happened into my reload.

ahm123,

rebelFarmer

Is that only hash, no flower? How do you load the hash? A thin strip along the walls?
I cannot speak for them, but I love hash in my tempest. I make a flat disk or multiple and wrap it in cotton and vape it that way. I find you can be very aggressive with hash, I often do it at around 500-525F and sometimes multiple goes, minimum cotton is nice as after I make it into a little hash cotton ball and that get's thrown into a jar for extraction later.

I have combusted with flower a few times, (usually cos I was already a bit far gone and doing back to backs) never have done it with hash. I sometimes mix a bit of hash into flower but always find that it means I either have to extract the flower too far for my liking or not get the hash to where I like it.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
What glass is that?
That piece is about 200 bucks from the vendor @BushRanger suggested in clear glass. If you don't mind getting a Chinese clone this piece is about 40 Bucks US delivered and is pretty close in design. I have one and it has become my daily water piece. The quality of joints, etc. Is never as good as the original vendors when they do a clone. But functionally there's no problem with them at all. Or at least that's been my experience. You can get it with or without a second stage.

cybrguy,
Top Bottom