The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Zow237

Been playing around with heating with both wand and torch. I get good results with both individually and could be all in my mind but wonderful clouds, great to get those RTL hits. Heated in wand til first notch, then pushed with torch til indicator just hits third notch.

This is the results im looking for hhaha but cant seem to get it. super jealous
@PeePhlegm also probably wont wait till then. When Ive had big clouds its just really really hot vapor and not enjoyable. This one isnt for me

Last edited:
Zow237,

Jojofernz

Yeah it’s really a bummer seeing folks not get good results as it has treated me well nearly from the jump. I did have to play around and figure out my wand technique and torch technique. I do think the calibrated VIs and click disks at release will help most people get it sorted.

Also, I only use the half bowl setting. For the wand though, everyone’s seems to perform a bit different and require a different positioning of the insert, as well as what temp you use. I say this because when I first got mine, I saw lots of different temps and wand insert positions, that I would either combust on or get little to no vapor. I started low around 570f and after fiddling and finding my sweet spot I usually do 590f til timeout from cold, and on a back to back bowl, I pull it when the light goes solid.

I think you have to play around more before you get the calibrated ones to get yours dialed in but it’s a fantastic vape when you do.

IMG-4938.jpg
IMG-4936.jpg
IMG-4935.jpg

Was trying to post these in my last comment but I can never get formatting right with images on mobile haha so if can be merged.

Don’t know if this will help at all, but here’s some photos trying to show where my insert is from the bottom and how deep my tempest sits in it for comparison to your own!

ljstavy

ball vapes are new to me was checking the unfinished tempest website and saw under the parts page it had 2 different sizes for the zirc balls. does the size make a huge difference? also what does the difference in size change. I'm a total noob to ball vapes and very eager to get away from my dynavap haha

ljstavy,
Reactions: ahm123

Zow237

Yeah it’s really a bummer seeing folks not get good results as it has treated me well nearly from the jump. I did have to play around and figure out my wand technique and torch technique. I do think the calibrated VIs and click disks at release will help most people get it sorted.

Also, I only use the half bowl setting. For the wand though, everyone’s seems to perform a bit different and require a different positioning of the insert, as well as what temp you use. I say this because when I first got mine, I saw lots of different temps and wand insert positions, that I would either combust on or get little to no vapor. I started low around 570f and after fiddling and finding my sweet spot I usually do 590f til timeout from cold, and on a back to back bowl, I pull it when the light goes solid.

I think you have to play around more before you get the calibrated ones to get yours dialed in but it’s a fantastic vape when you do.
I would agree with you but im using the half bowl and the most i can get is one small ploom and decent ploom and everything is beat in the bowl or its just hot af and just combusts. Ill even have phantom bowls where no vapor and the bowls are spent. Not a good experience at all haha. Same weed in the anvil just plooms of vapor

HaggisHunter

@PeePhlegm also probably wont wait till then. When Ive had big clouds its just really really hot vapor and not enjoyable. This one isnt for me
That's a shame but fair play. I was using a torch to start with and it did take some getting used to.
Couple of things that helped me were holding the torch further away and not drawing/pulling as hard to start with.
I think the draw is one of the more important things when using a torch for some reason. Most of my early combustion issues were caused by drawing way too hard.
I have combusted a couple of times with the wand but that's because I wasn't paying attention.
Anyway, you got your anvil and I'm sure you won't have any issues moving it on at least.

HaggisHunter,
Reactions: TedJones

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
@Zow237 How close to the flame tip are you holding your cap when heating? What's your airflow setting at the cap? How much time are you torching to get to the 2nd mark on VI?

To me it sounds like you're torching too close, so heat spreads to the bowl and VI, cooking the herb and moving the VI too fast. Cap should be 1cm from tip of the flame as stated in manual, that's even more important with double/triple torches imo. Also, tip of the flame isn't visible in the sunshine or bright spaces, you need some shade. Very easy to hold the flame too close if you can't see the flame tip clearly.
Another thing could also be your airflow at the cap is too opened, which can be more noticeable with 3mm balls.

I was wondering, @Brenyo in his YouTube demonstration vid with triple torch, holds the cap very close, like 1cm into the flame tip. But in his manual he states we should torch 1cm away.
With single flame torch I like to be closer to the flame, but with triple+/bigger torches I prefer being at the flame tip or to 1cm away as stated in manual, depending if ambient is cold or warm.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
This one is just not for me. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just doesnt work the way I want it to. Im just too dumb for this one haha
You didn't mention whether you took a look to make sure your balls weren't missing per @Brenyo 's suggestion above. Other than that possibility I'm not sure what could be causing the problem you're having.
When I can't get a hit easily, the first thing I check to make sure of is that I've loaded the Tempest. I've tried to get a hit off an empty Tempest a couple of times and that's not going to happen. :lol:

Zow237

You didn't mention whether you took a look to make sure your balls weren't missing per @Brenyo 's suggestion above. Other than that possibility I'm not sure what could be causing the problem you're having.
When I can't get a hit easily, the first thing I check to make sure of is that I've loaded the Tempest. I've tried to get a hit off an empty Tempest a couple of times and that's not going to happen. :lol:
there are balls haha. And my no vapor has had bud in the chamber that was fresh and then it was spent with no vapor
@Zow237 How close to the flame tip are you holding your cap when heating? What's your airflow setting at the cap? How much time are you torching to get to the 2nd mark on VI?

To me it sounds like you're torching too close, so heat spreads to the bowl and VI, cooking the herb and moving the VI too fast. Cap should be 1cm from tip of the flame as stated in manual, that's even more important with double/triple torches imo. Also, tip of the flame isn't visible in the sunshine or bright spaces, you need some shade. Very easy to hold the flame too close if you can't see the flame tip clearly.
Another thing could also be your airflow at the cap is too opened, which can be more noticeable with 3mm balls.

I was wondering, @Brenyo in his YouTube demonstration vid with triple torch, holds the cap very close, like 1cm into the flame tip. But in his manual he states we should torch 1cm away.
With single flame torch I like to be closer to the flame, but with triple+/bigger torches I prefer being at the flame tip or to 1cm away as stated in manual, depending if ambient is cold or warm.
anything but open on the cap is undesirable for me on airflow. The more i close it the harder it is to draw and the more my neck flares up.

Anyways i cleaned up everything up and put it back together. Went further away from the flame this time and got it to 2.5 and 3 without combusting and it was me adjusting my inhale. I want to just rip it so thats prolly where alot of the problem is. I did have 2 back to back bowls that were pretty good. But compared to other things Im not sure ill be keeping it. For whatever reason I draw from my chest with this device and my body doesnt like it.

TedJones

2 different sizes for the zirc balls. does the size make a huge difference? also what does the difference in size change.
I wouldn’t say a huge difference, but noticeable (with carb closed or covered). Air moves more freely through the 3mm. Probably better suited for DTL but you can do either style with either size really.

HERE’S a few pulls with the 3’s, cap pretty open, wpa on a larger rig. Thought I had more lung capacity for the 2nd.. sheesh. Really surprised by the unexpected flavor with the diffusion and travel space. Still get impressed by this thing :sherlock:

TedJones,
Reactions: ezpz

kokolokokolokon

Maybe im another lucky guy. I can use triple torch until third line for zirconia or sic, and until the second line (third is ride the line) with glass with great results. I just did combust like 3/4 times with the tempest….all of them when i was reading being high and i reheated it soon because i was vaping hash :lol::D

Now, lot of little clouds! Mtl with the setting we can read on the new tempest manual, 350C, hash (traditional), full open airflow (i should show more configs):

(With glass you can get bigger mtl cloud with a faster heat up but not that number of hits)

General Disaster

A Country Member
I would agree with you but im using the half bowl and the most i can get is one small ploom and decent ploom and everything is beat in the bowl or its just hot af and just combusts. Ill even have phantom bowls where no vapor and the bowls are spent. Not a good experience at all haha. Same weed in the anvil just plooms of vapor
This does sound odd. I'm not the most graceful and coordinated person (clumsy and ham fisted A.F.), and combusting is just the sort of thing I'm apt to do, because it just didn't seem quite ready (or whatever). So personally I was rather surprised, even using a cheapy pocket torch, that very first hit was amazing (beginner's luck I'm sure). And subsequently the only time I've part combusted (and I'm looking for the higher roasts so to speak, so close to the line) is when I've tried a reheat from hot to make sure it's been finished.

Have you tried any experimentation? i.e. try gradually heating, watching the indicator, and every so often try a pull to see how much vapour comes (if any). Not to get a good hit, but just to see how it behaves as you get hotter, maybe start trying pulls when the indicator meets the first marker? Then heat up half way to next marker, and try again, and repeat, a little bit more each time, to see how it progresses. As you find where the vaping starts, remember that point, clean and reload and start again (from a fairly cool temp again) but this time heat straight to that mark, then repeat the last process (moving up a bit at a time) but now you getting closer to the ideal mark. (you need a refil as those test pulls will be leaving less cannabinoids in the bowl so runs low and vapour reduces for that reason too!).

Other considerations: your weed! Does it have good humidity, or is it particularly dry? To some degree also, some strains give a lot more vapour than others. The vids can also be very misleading in that some show more vapour than you may expect to see, simply due to lighting and ambient temperature (for an exaggeration of this, check MH's vid testing the 'pest outdoors in winter with a Wand. The cold air makes the vapour look a lot thicker than in a warm room. Better to try and go by the effects. Look at what you've put in the bowl, measure out the same as you'd use in another vape, then just go by the high more than what the vapour looks like?

I'm pretty new to the 'pest, and to using these types of vape (the more analogue variety) and not the best at getting the feel, so I was quite taken aback at how forgiving the pest can be. That said, these are beta devices, and bought on that understanding, so although pretty close to final product, you need to be more forgiving that a fully released product. You also need to appreciate the normal manual and suchlike are not there in the same obvious fashion, info has to be gathered, no total hand-holding (although breyo is pretty damn good at responding and helping).
But to some degree you're using an experimental device and need to b forgiving to it. But it truly is a well designed and constructed bit of kit, and some people are always going to have some problems at first, if only due to what they are previous used to.

I would urge you to persist, maybe leave it for a bit if frustrating, and just read more and chat etc, and go back to it now and again?
Otherwise, I'll have it! 🤣🤣🤣

HaggisHunter

I felt the power guys. I had one of the biggest non combustion hits and getting one pull done on a bowl now.
Nice one, was there anything specifically that helped?
Once you get it man, it's an insanely potent device.
I was hearing what you were saying yesterday about the vapour just being hot and horrible.
I feel that, I have stomach conditions that make my throat raw, the revolve stem helps a lot with things like Dynavaps, basically they allow me to use one without going through water...
I wasn't sure that my throat would be able to deal with the huge amounts of extra vapour the Tempest creates, or the extra heat, but I can use it natively without issue.
It's easier through a bubbler, but I am well happy that I can continue to use it normally.
I hope your experience continues to improve :)

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I am loving the latest update to the VI I was sent a while back; but have been too sick to play with until very recently.

I love manual vapes and the ritual associated with them - when using a flame.

Since the latest VI update it’s opened up a new world for me being able to heat the device the the temperature I want to the be - as well as keep it at the temperature I want it to be - all while using a tiny single flame torch.

Here’s a lazy video of me using my little single flame and keeping the device at optimal temperature while sitting on my little recovery bed.

ljstavy

I wouldn’t say a huge difference, but noticeable (with carb closed or covered). Air moves more freely through the 3mm. Probably better suited for DTL but you can do either style with either size really.

HERE’S a few pulls with the 3’s, cap pretty open, wpa on a larger rig. Thought I had more lung capacity for the 2nd.. sheesh. Really surprised by the unexpected flavor with the diffusion and travel space. Still get impressed by this thing :sherlock:
I mainly use my revolve gen 2 on a small water piece i find warm vapor semi irritating to my lungs. Would the 3mm be a better option for bong users? I plan on using the tempest like I use my dynavap currently.

edit: i also when using a water piece cut off the air port my favorite way with the glass sleves is this branded packing tape i use i cut a small piece and cover my airport on the glass sleeve. I don't like adding air to my hits for me if the hits are hot the water from the water piece will cool it.

Last edited:

General Disaster

A Country Member
I am loving the latest update to the VI I was sent a while back; but have been too sick to play with until very recently.

I love manual vapes and the ritual associated with them - when using a flame.

Since the latest VI update it’s opened up a new world for me being able to heat the device the the temperature I want to the be - as well as keep it at the temperature I want it to be - all while using a tiny single flame torch.

Here’s a lazy video of me using my little single flame and keeping the device at optimal temperature while sitting on my little recovery bed.

I'm guessing you've probably already tried or considered using IH, but for what it's worth, I just got a Wand after starting with a pocket jet lighter, and this is a real improvement in certain ways. Much much more adjustable and repeatable in a precise and accurate fashion than I could manage with the flame. The heating of the weed is much more consistent, fewer 'hot' spots. The VI becomes almost unnecessary once you find the temp setting on the wand that you like, and adjust the cup to direct the heat at the precise part of the head you want (convection/conduction etc). It's taking around 30 seconds to get from cold to required temp, in about 18℃ room temp indoors. The lighter is still useful for travelling with sometimes, but I'm growing to appreciate the Wand more and more as I use it.

In fact, the biggest issue I've had so far (if you can even call it an issue) is it could do with a simple stand to hold it on it's side, and support the mouthpiece of the 'pest, so the pest can be heated horizontally, instead of upside down, where the weed can fall out the bowl a little bit, and not be quite so well packed. I reckon a fairly simple and small 3d-printed stand would do it very nicely.
- Actually, on reflection, I think a little stand in wood would be much nicer, and only need to be about 4" long by 1.5" wide and 0.5" high.

Last edited:

BreadStick

Would it be possible to make a 14mm and 18mm version of the little 10mm mouthpieces that the airflow tubes sit into? If it was possible to make something like that I think it'd be a lot handier than having to buy a different stem or a reducer. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I've a herborizer sherlock j-hook arriving today and I'm thinking about how I'd get my tempest on it!

BreadStick,

TedJones

I mainly use my revolve gen 2 on a small water piece i find warm vapor semi irritating to my lungs. Would the 3mm be a better option for bong users? I plan on using the tempest like I use my dynavap currently.

edit: i also when using a water piece cut off the air port my favorite way with the glass sleves is this branded packing tape i use i cut a small piece and cover my airport on the glass sleeve. I don't like adding air to my hits for me if the hits are hot the water from the water piece will cool it.
Yea I’d go with the 3mm if primarily using with a bong. I might have combusted in that vid with the smaller. Hot cap with big chug needs to breathe :brow:

Would it be possible to make a 14mm and 18mm version of the little 10mm mouthpieces that the airflow tubes sit into? If it was possible to make something like that I think it'd be a lot handier than having to buy a different stem or a reducer. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I've a herborizer sherlock j-hook arriving today and I'm thinking about how I'd get my tempest on it!
Are you talking about the metal mouthpiece itself? Think most are using glass reducers like so

BreadStick

Are you talking about the metal mouthpiece itself? Think most are using glass reducers like so
Yes that's the part, am I right saying that little metal mouthpiece is a 10mm male joint? I was thinking it might be nice if there was 2 other versions of that part, one that's 14mm and the other 18mm to save you having to use the reducers. It's probably too big a manufacturing challenge for what it's worth. The reducers aren't much of a hassle at home but I'd like to have less glass parts if I can for travel.

Jojofernz

Yes that's the part, am I right saying that little metal mouthpiece is a 10mm male joint? I was thinking it might be nice if there was 2 other versions of that part, one that's 14mm and the other 18mm to save you having to use the reducers. It's probably too big a manufacturing challenge for what it's worth. The reducers aren't much of a hassle at home but I'd like to have less glass parts if I can for travel.
The Z-stem I had made for the tempest by the awesome @Zasquatch has a 14mm taper for the body, so without even having to disassemble the Tempest, I can use it in a 10mm with the mouthpiece or in a 14mm as the body fits. I know you said you didn’t wanna get a separate stem but this is the best option I know of so you can keep the adjustable airflow and helix stem for cooling while also having a couple options at WPA

Strolling&Rolling

I've been having pretty similar experiences to @Zow237 with the Tempest. I'm using a torch too, have tried holding it a little further back but similar enough results.

I've been using a sondiko kitchen torch from Amazon but will purchase a wand when I get paid next.

On visual indicator level 1 and 2 almost no vapor on every 'open' setting. When I open the bowl up the weed is cooked slightly but definitely more to give.

I tried again to go close to heat indicator level 3 and it did produce vapour but I wouldn't say it was massive clouds per se.

I think I'm worried going to level 3 will cause combustion, which is what I want to avoid. If you do accidently combust it can leave a bit of a smokey aftertaste and you have to clean it, so it's out of use for a few hours while I clean and dry it off etc.

Could it be that im heating it too fast or not gradual enough? And the bud isn't heating gradually?

I only consume high grade stuff and I've tried several strains, so I don't think it's the weed.

Top Bottom