The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

dtrdrk

Should we soak these in iso for an initial cleaning? Is there any burn in procedure? Thanks

dtrdrk,

TedJones

I gave mine a soak in ISO, then a good rinse in hot water, dry off and use.
I actually took my cap completely apart as I wanted to see what everything inside was like.
But you can just soak the cap as a complete unit.
I did the same but just left the cap alone (no soak). Think Red & Brenyo said an initial burn would be sufficient for that.

Singularity Walker

Three months in with the Tempest.
I am still very happy with the Tempest. It is the device I reach for without even thinking when it comes to dry herb.
I've gotten things to the point it has been a while since I combusted
My biggest complaints about it after 3 months all relate to the final not being out.
I've bought so many Revolve G2 (sleeves & parts) & Tempest wood sleeves just to dress it up because I don't have multiple Tempest units to switch between.
Another time/area I wish I had a second one to use during cleaning.
The closest I've come to using another device for dry herb in the past 3 months was putting the Tempest head on the WPA and using it with my coffee mug bong.

EDIT: you know what happened right after I said I haven't done it in a while. D'oh.

Last edited:

grognard3r

I think the native stem can easily feel like a pocket bong if you do your experiments right and make note of your settings (all of them, not just temp). Once you think you have a perfect fit, I challenge you to experiment more: I'm pretty sure you will find another awesome set of settings that gets you in a super happy place.

Until recently, my standard Wand setting had been around 560 to 590 F. I've since dropped that to around 520 to 540 F. I had also previously set the airflow tip to wide open.

Now, I am closing the airflow off way more (less than a quarter open to as closed as I can get it). This is especially true when I'm using the native stem.

Those settings on the Wand and Tempest preserve taste the best imo.

Your ABV comes out a caramel color, and you can decide to hit it again if the mood strikes you. I mostly don't.

Technique question:
I saw mention of a "horizontal" torch method above but can't find the post/link. Could someone point me to that?

Regarding torch vs IH, I'd say go with the IH. As an aside, many users have already made good posts about torches and such. I know it is maybe a pain to skim back through old posts, but it sure is interesting to see how people's reactions and feedback evolve over time towards this amazing vape. This is especially true if you find yourself developing a strong attachment to your Tempest: you can peer back into its infancy, background, good (old) tips to try out, etc.

Back to the point: go with the Wand. Why?

1. From my own experience, the Wand makes it EASY to experiment with temperature, find a setting you like, and then come back to that exact same experience without any guesswork.

2. I also think it it significant that MAD ships the Tempest to you with a custom made adapter for the Wand. A lot of thought went into how all these parts work together. I'd go with settings the manufacturer recommends.

Other IHs:
I also own a VHB (not 3D). They are excellent for DynaVap stuff, probably the best (except whem using the Armored Cap because the plastic top surface around the glass ring began to melt at the temps/long heat time needed to heat it).

Old VHB (previous to 3D) do NOT fit the Tempest. Even if it did, I personally wouldn't want to try it out. The VHB is great--for DynaVap tips. I haven't seen the new VHB 3D IHs, but on mine old ones (the old mini and the larger unit, I forget its name) I don't think I could insert the Tempest head into the VHB coils AND see the VI AND not burn my flower. As noted, though, my VHB models do not fit the Tempest. Just be cautious if you can't see the VI and you place the flower in a position it would get heated (instead of the balls).

Btw, my friend is blaming me he cant enjoy his Mighty no more, after i gave him to try Tempest for few times... :lol:

I can totally understand his sentiment. Revolves killed my Simrells (and they had killed my standard DynaVaps). Without adding the Mad Revolve stem to the Mighty, I refused to use the Mighty because the MAD stems cool so well. My Tempest, I am sad to say, has kind of killed my Revolves and Venty. (Disclaimer: I still use Revolve parts, like wooden and glass sleeves, except on the Tempest.)

ezpz

I’ve been testing the “horizontal” heating technique (flame is vertical, tempest is horizontal). I actually like torching this way better. I can see the VI easier (but still need my reading glasses). Vertical heating took about 1min 20secs on average. Horizontal heating has been under a minute every time (around 50secs).

With the wand (610f), the VI will be just shy of the third mark. With horizontal heating, I need to stop torching at the 2 and a half mark, and this is RTL type extraction. Wand would need to be set at 640f for similar results.

Still testing though. But enjoying torching a little more with horizontal heating.

ahm123

I think the native stem can easily feel like a pocket bong if you do your experiments right and make note of your settings (all of them, not just temp). Once you think you have a perfect fit, I challenge you to experiment more: I'm pretty sure you will find another awesome set of settings that gets you in a super happy place.

Until recently, my standard Wand setting had been around 560 to 590 F. I've since dropped that to around 520 to 540 F. I had also previously set the airflow tip to wide open.

Now, I am closing the airflow off way more (less than a quarter open to as closed as I can get it). This is especially true when I'm using the native stem.

Those settings on the Wand and Tempest preserve taste the best imo.

Your ABV comes out a caramel color, and you can decide to hit it again if the mood strikes you. I mostly don't.

Technique question:
I saw mention of a "horizontal" torch method above but can't find the post/link. Could someone point me to that?

Regarding torch vs IH, I'd say go with the IH. As an aside, many users have already made good posts about torches and such. I know it is maybe a pain to skim back through old posts, but it sure is interesting to see how people's reactions and feedback evolve over time towards this amazing vape. This is especially true if you find yourself developing a strong attachment to your Tempest: you can peer back into its infancy, background, good (old) tips to try out, etc.

Back to the point: go with the Wand. Why?

1. From my own experience, the Wand makes it EASY to experiment with temperature, find a setting you like, and then come back to that exact same experience without any guesswork.

2. I also think it it significant that MAD ships the Tempest to you with a custom made adapter for the Wand. A lot of thought went into how all these parts work together. I'd go with settings the manufacturer recommends.

Other IHs:
I also own a VHB (not 3D). They are excellent for DynaVap stuff, probably the best (except whem using the Armored Cap because the plastic top surface around the glass ring began to melt at the temps/long heat time needed to heat it).

Old VHB (previous to 3D) do NOT fit the Tempest. Even if it did, I personally wouldn't want to try it out. The VHB is great--for DynaVap tips. I haven't seen the new VHB 3D IHs, but on mine old ones (the old mini and the larger unit, I forget its name) I don't think I could insert the Tempest head into the VHB coils AND see the VI AND not burn my flower. As noted, though, my VHB models do not fit the Tempest. Just be cautious if you can't see the VI and you place the flower in a position it would get heated (instead of the balls).

I can totally understand his sentiment. Revolves killed my Simrells (and they had killed my standard DynaVaps). Without adding the Mad Revolve stem to the Mighty, I refused to use the Mighty because the MAD stems cool so well. My Tempest, I am sad to say, has kind of killed my Revolves and Venty. (Disclaimer: I still use Revolve parts, like wooden and glass sleeves, except on the Tempest.)
completely agree with everything you said

ahm123,

Beansuppa

Small request for the regular community here, just as an aid for everyone else who might be learning their new devices or for those who haven't experimented as much:

When you're mentioning IH temps, it would be super helpful if you also mention timings; whether that's as simple as waiting on no blinks, till time out, or literally just timing it. Temp is helpful but it's not the only piece of the puzzle. There's a lot of variables that affect performance on this device!

This is especially helpful as not everyone's vape is calibrated the same so knowing timings is a lot more helpful than only mentioning a temperature setting or "until X line on cap". But "610f until time out on cold device" is universally useful no matter if you have the first beta wave or a final release Tempest. Obviously things get murkier on reheats and back-to-back bowls, but a solid starting point is useful for everyone :).

Thanks for listening! Just hoping to make things easier on everyone since this thing is so easy to combust in if you're just learning it.

PS this isn't aimed at anyone, it's just a trend I've noticed so I wanted to make this post!

RedZep

Those who use the half bowl setting, with Direct flow tube + SCU. Please could you share your favourite stem and tip airflow settings.

TedJones

Those who use the half bowl setting, with Direct flow tube + SCU. Please could you share your favourite stem and tip airflow settings.
For the cap, I like it closed just a little bit. Good airflow though there helps with my more “aggressive” pulls I think. Closing it more might be better if you’re taking your time with it. Stem I like the 1/2 closed carb mark (either far left, or right). Those are the most restrictive and if I heat it up good enough, won’t have to cover that carb for a seamless draw(s). Still trying to get that down. If going for a second bowl, I switch the stem to the middle setting for more airflow due to hotter cap.

grognard3r

Beansuppa made a fair request about time and temp.

Sorry. I have not included times in my recent posts (older ones, yes).

For me, and I think many others would agree, here are some timings you should try out, regardless of temperature (none of the below is valid for higher than 590 F in my experiences):

1. Wait until the Wand light stops blinking. Inhale. Take note to compare what you think of the settings below.

2. The Wand light will continue a steady glow for another 20 seconds (or thereabouts) AFTER the blinking goes out. Pull out the Tempest any time before timeout. I like to pull the Tempest out this way about 14 seconds AFTER the light goes steady, especially if I am at above 580 F. If you pull out before timeout, just remember to turn the Wand off to save power.

3. Wait until timeout, and this is super at low temps, like 520 F. I suppose low/high is all relative. I tend to use this timeout setting as a default now.

Last edited:

HaggisHunter

Small request for the regular community here, just as an aid for everyone else who might be learning their new devices or for those who haven't experimented as much:

When you're mentioning IH temps, it would be super helpful if you also mention timings; whether that's as simple as waiting on no blinks, till time out, or literally just timing it. Temp is helpful but it's not the only piece of the puzzle. There's a lot of variables that affect performance on this device!

This is especially helpful as not everyone's vape is calibrated the same so knowing timings is a lot more helpful than only mentioning a temperature setting or "until X line on cap". But "610f until time out on cold device" is universally useful no matter if you have the first beta wave or a final release Tempest. Obviously things get murkier on reheats and back-to-back bowls, but a solid starting point is useful for everyone :).

Thanks for listening! Just hoping to make things easier on everyone since this thing is so easy to combust in if you're just learning it.

PS this isn't aimed at anyone, it's just a trend I've noticed so I wanted to make this post!
When I'm indoors I've been using mine on 300c-310c, I find anything higher starts to get risky depending on how hard you draw on it.
I'm at 305c most of the time. I was using 320c to start with, but on the auto shut off it it was getting close to the line for me and the taste was a bit off.

First heat up is just using the timer/auto shut off mode, let it do it's thing and hit it when the lights go out.

Any back to back bowls are then hit using the wand upside down going by my VI as it's calibrated on my device.
I heat that manually/holding the button till the VI is in the area in the photo and hit it from then.
I've found that if I go past that when the cap already has a lot of heat inside from the previous bowl, it makes combustion much easier so I error on the side of caution.

As mentioned before, the force of your draw/pull whatever you want to call it makes a massive difference.
The harder you pull/inhale with higher temps the more you risk combustion I think.

One thing that needs to be repeated for new users is doing back to back bowls on timed/auto shut off mode, it should be avoided as it generally results in combustion for me no matter what temp I've tried.

Jojofernz

590f on the wand until timeout for first bowl. Consecutive bowls I pull when the light turns solid. Easy repeatable experiences for me. Gets it to the third notch every time, half bowl roasted in one heat.

I don’t ever like heating the tempest twice for one bowl, unless I’m twaxing!

Cheers hope all the new users loving the tempest! It’s my all day every day vape since I got it.

Jojofernz

Do you prefer the Tempest over Anvil?
I’ve shared some thoughts in the comparison thread, and should probably share some more there haha

But, overall, yes, I prefer the Tempest. Anvil wins in terms of thick clouds on a glass piece, but I can get basically the same level with the Tempest, I just have to push it more. With the anvil it’s pretty simple heat til second click for big hit. But tempest wins out in everything else for me, biggest being native use. Flavor and cooling. I can puff on the tempest all day natively, like a pocket bong or cooled joint. Anvil I can’t even manage one hit off the native stem.

If I could only have one, Tempest. But I think they fit their own need and is worth having both. Tempest on the go, Anvil would stay at my home on glass for me.

Beansuppa

Thanks everyone!! This is all great info to have.

Personally, when I'm running the tip through water for the 1 hit extraction (using a full bowl), I've gotten really good results doing 610f until time out. I pull fairly hard through my bubbler until I can't anymore. This gets me like 90% there. Sometimes I'll have one or two small pieces of herb that might have a bit of green but the rest is mostly tobacco colored.

From here, if the bowl is still hot and I wanna do another, I'll use the same settings but I watch my VI till it gets to the second notch. This is generally 10-20s but it depends on how soon I reheat as this tip holds heat like a vice lmao.

I also like running the cap airflow wide open but I'm going to experiment more with closing it slightly to see if this gets the roast more even.

Through water has been my preferred method on this vape, as I find the vapor a bit to hot for me native. I need to experiment more for native use to get that more enjoyable!

Smknbud

Beansuppa made a fair request about time and temp.

Sorry. I have not included times in my recent posts (older ones, yes).

For me, and I think many others would agree, here are some timings you should try out, regardless of temperature (none of the below is valid for higher than 590 F in my experiences):

1. Wait until the Wand light stops blinking. Inhale. Take note to compare what you think of the settings below.

2. The Wand light will continue a steady glow for another 20 seconds (or thereabouts) AFTER the blinking goes out. Pull out the Tempest any time before timeout. I like to pull the Tempest out this way about 14 seconds AFTER the light goes steady, especially if I am at above 580 F. If you pull out before timeout, just remember to turn the Wand off to save power.

3. Wait until timeout, and this is super at low temps, like 520 F. I suppose low/high is all relative. I tend to use this timeout setting as a default now.

I haven't changed a thing for most part since having the Tempest. It's wide open from tip to stem and I play the carb hole like a flute when I hit it for desired results. From a cold start it's the wand at 625F/330C till time out and for the reheats, typically for concentrate sandwich loads, I'm in manual mode with Wand, and still at 625F, and use VI to tell me when to stop heating.

I've stopped turning the Wand off/on all the time since stand-by mode seems to drain battery very minimally.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Don't have a Tempest yet. I'm waiting for the official release but for my Stunner, as I don't have a visual indicator or clicker, when it comes to re-heats I just start heating with the Wand and take a small pull every 5s or so while heating. As soon as there's decent vapor production just remove the Wand.

Even in cold starts, which are very predictable when using your favorite timings, I still like to take little puffs while heating just 'cause they're so tasty.

Last edited:

KindBuddyBud

This conspiracy theory post was brought to you by a sticky brick jr, red sangria bud, and Chardonnay as I wait for my tempest. Just missed out on the drop, I’ll have to wait a couple of weeks like @Kudzu407 here’s my theory.

I think the next iteration of the tempest will have haptic feedback when reaching temp. Imagine, at the super duper weed cannabis cup festival, after you’ve passed around the quarter-pound doobie and the lights are dim, everyone’s jammin’ to the tunes. But wait, you still wanna fill the room with some tasty clouds. You pull out ur tempest, pack it, ih heat it, buzz buzz, puff puff. Ppl are like, yo, are you dabbing?

You’re like no, this is flower, and we’ve got a bunch here at the super duper weed cannabis cup festival. Clouds for days from this quarter oz, haha who doesn’t like efficiency? haha. Sorry if I distracted you from the sciencey science 😎 just wanted to break up the monotony (Bob Marley Kaya link). Keep jammin’ with me as we wait (link for one spliff a day)… the herb get otta…

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Cleaned up and gave the different sleeves a go.
Running the titanium sleeves etc at the moment, but going to start using the woods after the next clean.

I can't wait until I can get a ebony sleave, very cool.

I think the next iteration of the tempest will have haptic feedback when reaching temp
I wonder if you can feel the click discs as you can on some devices (Anvil for example), I haven't used a tempest with click discs yet (obviously)

Do you prefer the Tempest over Anvil?
I know you weren't asking me but, I have been playing with the ThermoCore oven lately because the clicks honestly, and its a very different experience to the Tempest. I have stopped comparing them. I think they are both great for different experiences.

Top Bottom