The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Wozz

Unfortunately, my wallet is not so well filled at the moment, so I'm wondering whether I should buy the "pre-release" or wait until the "final release".
Likewize šŸ‘

If I do go for this drop I'll not be rushing out to get the wand .. I've had to save up for the Tempest as is. . From what I've read I do not consider the wand a necessity .
If you do get a Tempest, get a Wand if you do not already have one. I am guessing (correct me folks if I am wrong) that most users would agree that the Wand IH is superior, at least for now on today's market, to use with the Tempest.

Maybe grognard3r " Wow, what a tough call"
will get us all a wand... Has 2 already and planning on a second Tempest....

Wozz,

dtrdrk

Thanks TedJones,
I cant find the thread for more detailā€¦. i was just wondering since the cap does not seem to be the same diameter across its length. Its a little wider towards the body. Id need to know if the 12mm are the thickest part towards the stem. If so, what is the diameter at the top? Im just trying to find out if this will fit my IH physically as my IH uses a 14mm to 10mm adapter as an insert. Thanks

dtrdrk,

TedJones

Thanks TedJones,
I cant find the thread for more detailā€¦. i was just wondering since the cap does not seem to be the same diameter across its length. Its a little wider towards the body. Id need to know if the 12mm are the thickest part towards the stem. If so, what is the diameter at the top? Im just trying to find out if this will fit my IH physically as my IH uses a 14mm to 10mm adapter as an insert. Thanks
The VI is recessed at the tip so thatā€™s 12 also, down the adjustable sleeve until it stops. Then it widens for the threading. Thickest part there is in the middle of the ā€œgripā€ notches, 14mm.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
I have since learned how to only use the Wand and a timer: I now count 10-15 seconds past the point when the Wand stops blinking, so this is about 5-10 seconds before the Wand times out.
May I ask why do you use a timer and not set it in a way where it's good either when it stops blinking or times out?

(some 10 seconds after the VI runs against the farthest point to the right).
I think you have the adapter too far up or the VI is not installed correctly. The farthest point should be combustion

Thickest part there is in the middle of the ā€œgripā€ notches, 14mm
* 13.5mm

Im just trying to find out if this will fit my IH physically as my IH uses a 14mm to 10mm adapter as an insert.
If it doesnā€™t fit and you can re-wind the coil, you could use the Wand adapter that comes with it instead.

Blue, green and purple pictures are updated on the website, it's pretty close now to how it looks IRL.

LINK

Last edited:

HaggisHunter

Howdy folks, hope you're all well and enjoyed the festive period šŸ˜

Now that I've had my tempest a while, I'm totally in awe of it.
It's now my only vape.
I've been itching to get one for months, as soon as I read about it I felt it would hit every mark I needed it to. Turns out, it does!

With a reload it's seamless, such a nice experience using them together.
I was using it with a torch to start with but I'm now using it with the wand pretty much all the time.

My first bowl from cold is between 300-320c depending on how I'm feeling and that's always on the automatic timer/shut-off mode.

If I do back to back bowls I just refill, turn the heater over and watch the VI, soon as it creeps past the middle marker the following bowl is ready and so on.
Sometimes when I'm at home, I actually do a dry run to heat the balls up and then start filling the bowl.

When I've been outside in the cold recently I've had it up to 330c and it works great. Holds the heat long enough to nail the bowl, even when it's absolutely freezing outside, and it actually cools quite quickly too when it's nippy outside which I was surprised at, I thought it would still take an age to cool.

I don't like the form of the wand, it doesn't sit well in my pockets and that's a problem for portability.

I think a lot of people (myself included) want the moon on a stick when it comes to induction heaters, but I assume that as time goes on we will get there eventually. I'll definitely be checking out the flare that yll are making for the danivape though.
Will also be checking out the Dynavap FFP as that's earmarked for summer and folk have been using the beta FFP with tempests so that could be a goer too.

Either way, with the amount of large vape of this type available now, there's definitely a space in the market for a premium portable induction heater.
The wand works, but that's it, it works.

There are a couple of really minor things I'm less keen on, but they're minor and haven't affected my high opinion of the device.

I'm still not getting these 90sec sessions I've read others can get, I've had dry and sticky in it and they all last about the same for me, full or half bowl, I'm good though, it's doing what I want it to. I think it's down to draw times, I draw for longer most of the time.

I generally stick with half bowls as I think I get a better extraction in two half bowls than I do with one full bowl.
Plus, I like using half bowl because I like using the device, if I went to a full bowl, I'd either half the amount I'm using the device which I wouldn't want to to, or I'll end up doubling my intake, which I can't afford to do šŸ¤£

Either way, thanks @breyno/mad heaters and phatpiggie, your products are elevating, innovative and have brought an injection of freshness into the scene. Bravo.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
.... turn the heater over and watch the VI, soon as it creeps past the middle marker the following bowl is ready and so on ...
It's great to hear such good experiences from people with just a working VI on no click discs (which most dynavap/butane vape people are used to using) it really shows how successfully the idea of a visual indicator for temperature was implemented... can't wait to try it myself... I still think the eventual adonizing of the indicator arm is going to a really cool addition :p

HaggisHunter

It's great to hear such good experiences from people with just a working VI on no click discs (which most dynavap/butane vape people are used to using) it really shows how successfully the idea of a visual indicator for temperature was implemented... can't wait to try it myself... I still think the eventual adonizing of the indicator arm is going to a really cool addition :p
It's a brilliant function, maybe induction heaters need to start thinking of having little windows to see them, haha.
Handy that the wand you can just flip it.

I anodised my indicator but ended up taking it back to normal, darker colours the VI blended into the dark background it sits in and I couldn't see it moving.
Normal/silver and gold worked fine, didn't try the colours higher up the voltage scale as I decided I just wanted to make sure I could actually see it.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I enjoy other peoples excitement about getting a test kit. I feel the excitement almost as if its my own :)

In part its because I am in bed with very little else to do... but mostly its because Brenyo is still putting the finishing touches on the device and its not done until the final release actually happens, as parts are being tested, recalibrated and tested again between drops.

It was fun, for example, seeing the differences in the way the VI moved between devices in different videos from the earily drops before the last release candidate... (broken record) I haven't had the sound on my computer so I haven't heard any click discs in any videos (and I feel like I am the only one who is trying to watch out for updates on the click discs, I keep seeing "who needs a click disc!" and all I am thinking is "me" :) ) but each drop makes me feel one step closer to the completed Tempest cap; complete with working visual temperature gauge, calibrated click discs - all put together in a cap by someone who knows what they are doing... and one step closer to a black wood sleave - I wonder if the black wood sleave will replace the Titanium for daily use, I guess it depends on the way it feels and how it handles the heat, excited to eventually try it out...

I am sure I lost track of my point just now.... anyway...

Getting to sort of relive the excitement of the presale kit drop, the stress of the shipping period and the lack of updates from those horrible postal services; and then inevitable joy - and often awe that seems to pepper someone's post as they first try to write about there experience's with their new Tempest is kind of keeping the joy alive in this thread.

Thank you everyone for sharing your reviews; even those who find the device isn't for them, the one person I have talked to so far who has said that, provides cool info about the device and I am enjoying this process.

I am looking forwards to seeing the new colours, new sleaves you all manage to get on the 10th... I enjoy how the energy in the group lifts in the moments before the drop and in the days when people start to receive their Tempests.

I really want to see the Accessories too like the new concept of debowler and leather sleave....

While I wish I could get it all now... I am really enjoying this journey with you guys... I am trying to not get so tied up on when I am going to get to the destination (when I am going to be able to use my Tempest again)... and instead enjoy living vicariously thought your reviews and stories (so share more people :))

I guess I am trying to take the @Fox 's attitude to heart :)

HaggisHunter

After seeing previous discussion about whether to clean the glass balls or not, I had a look at mine yesterday, most of them were a dark brown, some were almost black.
Tried the usual cleaners and the dirt wouldn't budge.
Then tried sugar soap, after a few minutes and some agitating they were back to looking like new.

Made a difference as well. Cleaning the stem is fine but I think I'll be doing the balls every 4/5 cleans.

Probably worth getting an extra set or two as well.

grognard3r

Maybe grognard3r " Wow, what a tough call"
will get us all a wand... Has 2 already and planning on a second Tempest....
That would be nice, wouldn't it? I don't have a money tree, but I like to trade tips and ideas here to help me get the most efficient use of my herb. Also, I do think Mad Heaters deserves appropriate positive user feedback. I am not ashamed to say I am pinching every penny I can to save up for a second Tempest. To further my point, I would say that my Tempest helps me conserve herb (and money) because I can use much less of it in a more powerful way.

May I ask why do you use a timer and not set it in a way where it's good either when it stops blinking or times out?
Personal preference. I like my herb not so "French roast" looking when the Wand times out. My Wand is actually set up in a way that I get great extractions if I inhale 10 to 15 seconds after the blinking light goes out OR if I let the IH screen display "time out." I enjoy the taste so much more if I do not let the Wand time out. It's simply the way I dial in my vapor intake, especially the first of the day. I only use this particular counting method on a totally cool head; I will combust if I go a second cycle in that way, so I let the entire device cool before another hit.

I think you have the adapter too far up or the VI is not installed correctly. The farthest point should be combustion
That might be true. I actually installed the coil in the Tempest cap several times. Each time got different results, and the setting I currently have it on just goes to show you, I suppose, that you really DO NOT need a working VI if you have a Wand and want 100% consistent/repeatable performance. The way my coil (in the Tempest head) is set up: the Wand will continue to blink for another 10 seconds past the point the VI hits the far right stopping point. I could go back and fiddle with it, but I am totally ok with my setup as is. Thanks for the feedback, though.

After seeing previous discussion about whether to clean the glass balls or not, I had a look at mine yesterday, most of them were a dark brown, some were almost black.
Then tried sugar soap, after a few minutes and some agitating they were back to looking like new.

Every 2-3 days when I do a cleaning, I unscrew the tip-top if the cap and soak the ball section in iso. I do a deep clean of all the other parts in ethanol because I save that glorious resin for later use in extractions for edibles. The iso ball soak just keeps thinks squeaky clean. I think it improves taste and efficiency in the long run. Don't let your ball gunk build up.

While I wish I could get it all now... I am really enjoying this journey with you guys... I am trying to not get so tied up on when I am going to get to the destination (when I am going to be able to use my Tempest again)... and instead enjoy living vicariously thought your reviews and stories (so share more people :))

I agree with that sentiment. I have always kept away from social media. I still do with this forum being the single exception. I enjoy the journey this device takes me--and us--on. There is so much to explore.

Either way, thanks @breyno/mad heaters and phatpiggie, your products are elevating, innovative and have brought an injection of freshness into the scene. Bravo.
100% agree with this.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

Made a difference as well. Cleaning the stem is fine but I think I'll be doing the balls every 4/5 cleans.

Probably worth getting an extra set or two as well.
I am kind of surprised that the balls are getting that dirty. Given that the balls are the heat source and sit before the bowl in the vapor path I would expect them to stay reasonably clean. I can only guess that as the heat liquefies the active ingredients prior to vaporizing them that gravity pulls them down into the balls. If that is the cause, then I imagine doing the process "backwards" and holding the wand on top of your device rather than dropping the device into the wand might prevent this occurrence.
I know there are users using this method, is your experience with dirty balls different?

TedJones

heat liquefies the active ingredients prior to vaporizing them that gravity pulls them down into the balls.
Hmm.. interesting. Iā€™d assume most torch users have it somewhat vertical while heating so it wouldnā€™t be the case there too. I let mine sit upside down to cool off whether Iā€™m loading another or not. Rarely find that any abv had fallen onto the screen. I canā€™t see any discoloration just by looking through my screen and I havenā€™t taken them out yet. Have done a few cap iso soaks just cause.

TedJones,
Reactions: cybrguy

leanpubpackage

came across a nice batch of hash and have been enjoying it with the tempest. crumble a nice layer over a thin layer of herb and the tempest head provides plenty of heat to thoroughly extract. I heat with the bowl facing up of course

RedZep

I am kind of surprised that the balls are getting that dirty. Given that the balls are the heat source and sit before the bowl in the vapor path I would expect them to stay reasonably clean. I can only guess that as the heat liquefies the active ingredients prior to vaporizing them that gravity pulls them down into the balls. If that is the cause, then I imagine doing the process "backwards" and holding the wand on top of your device rather than dropping the device into the wand might prevent this occurrence.
I know there are users using this method, is your experience with dirty balls different?
I notice I often blow in the device a little bit while brining it to my lips. Can see a small puff of vapour go out through the cap. This probably contributes to balls being dirty. Even so I find I can go a long time without cleaning. However I clean the cap often now since realising how easy it is.

Might be the easiest vaporiser part to clean I've ever owned, since it requires no disassembly and is self drying. Just soak in iso, rinse, shake, torch.

HaggisHunter

My first heat is on timer mode and it's upside down. Following heat ups in that session are in manual mode and the tempest is the right way up so I can see the VI.
I wouldn't imagine I'm doing much different to anyone else.

When it's cooling down it's sitting upside down in a little heatsink.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I notice I often blow in the device a little bit while brining it to my lips. Can see a small puff of vapour go out through the cap. This probably contributes to balls being dirty. Even so I find I can go a long time without cleaning. However I clean the cap often now since realising how easy it is.

Might be the easiest vaporiser part to clean I've ever owned, since it requires no disassembly and is self drying. Just soak in iso, rinse, shake, torch.
I didn't raise a question of how often do people clean there balls for no reason :)
In this instance it happens when I'm accidently blowing on the MP, when i'm clearing my lungs for inhale.
just heat it upright and take notice and you will see vapor escaping at times

Vapor escapes, oil can drip down if you have sticky material, fine particles of keif get through and melt. It's so easy to clean (assuming you use a strainer with smaller than 2mm holes :), I am still dropping it in iso over night (when I am using it during the day) then a quick hot water rince and shes almost good to go. You notice the difference trying to keep it clean

RedZep

I didn't raise a question of how often do people clean there balls for no reason :)

just heat it upright and take notice and you will see vapor escaping at times
I clean my tip/balls every time I clean my bowl now. About twice a week. It takes no extra effort. I used the device for months before cleaning the balls and couldn't notice deleterious effects, but makes sense to keep on top of now, since it's no bother. If it was an irksome process to clean, then I would probably get lazy with it and not bother.

Yeah I'm not doubting it happens. I'm just specifically mentioning how I'm accidently blowing vapour into the balls. I had same issue with Sticky Brick, but with different results.

I also don't doubt people saying they notice negative effects of not cleaning the balls. I just didn't notice any myself. If I tested side by side I bet I would detect a difference in taste for example. And if balls were incredibly dirty you would expect airflow to suffer.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Yeah I'm not doubting it happens. I'm just specifically mentioning how I'm accidently blowing vapour into the balls. I had same issue with Sticky Brick, but with different results.
I blow in the cap on occasion to blow the herb that might be on the screen off, I have noticed that when the balls are very dirty and you blow in it you can get a littel reclaim on your fingers when holding the cap. This is the extreme obviously and only happened for a week before I realised what I was doing... but I notice the difference now if I forget to clean it the night before, the heating time is different.

I am nit picking, honestly it works perfectly for weeks without a proper clean but as soon as any performance issue happen, clean the balls firt imo

Top Bottom