The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Wylie

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Are there any other options for a portable battery operated IH other than the wand that will be good with the Tempest? While the wand may work fine I want something closer to the Yll 2. Never have liked the look of the wand and I like the wattage options on the Yll and the simple small block design.

RedZep

So I got a surprise letter today containing a VI (thanks @Brenyo ) I immediately disassembled the one I had installed. I noticed the new one is bigger. Wraps round itself 4 times as opposed to 3. I had all the parts laid out then when I went to place the new VI it was missing.

I looked all over. Searched on the floor, through all my gear. 30 mins of searching to no avail. I thought I was losing my sanity. Then I thought "ok calm down. It can't disappear. What if it stuck to magnet somewhere" lo and behold...

I had the lid facing magnet side up. So this was hidden underneath. I could have went months/years and never known it was under there :D

I can report that installing VI is not as scary as it seems. Just need a decent pair of tweezers.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Are there any other options for a portable battery operated IH other than the wand that will be good with the Tempest? While the wand may work fine I want something closer to the Yll 2. Never have liked the look of the wand and I like the wattage options on the Yll and the simple small block design.
I know that the Induction heater by Camofleut has been used (not the same I know) but I wonder does anyone have other IH's and have managed to test them with the Tempest?

Again not the same but - I know someone (shop owner) who has a test Vestratto Forge being sent to them - I also know that he lends his test products to a aussie mate who does a youtube channel who is getting a Tempest sent to him after last pre-release drop - If I remember correctly the test Forge is due to arrive 4th January and the youtuber will have his Tempest before Xmas so that will be an cool additional thing to see (hopefully).

Oh Brenyo said this before :
Will the tip fit into a VapOven? I am looking to build one but obviously only if tempest compatible
It will but it's very tight. I'd recommend getting the glass for the Tempest Wand adapter and use that for the build.
It might not be very convenient to keep the button pressed for 30-40s so a "timed" IH like the Wand is a better fit for these devices I think.

EDIT : @RedZep Totally excited to hear how the testing with the VI goes.. so cool.... is there a envy or jealousy enmoji :p:D
I can report that installing VI is not as scary as it seems. Just need a decent pair of tweezers.
I ordered some, they didn't come, went out of stock, I have ordered more today as they are back in stock and will have tracking Monday and (depending on postal service) ill have them Friday...

I would be so upset if I %$#@ it up though I have butterflies at the idea...

I'll go back to catching snakes for a living instead please

Last edited:

RedZep

I know that the Induction heater by Camofleut has been used (not the same I know) but I wonder does anyone have other IH's and have managed to test them with the Tempest?

Again not the same but - I know someone (shop owner) who has a test Vestratto Forge being sent to them - I also know that he lends his test products to a aussie mate who does a youtube channel who is getting a Tempest sent to him after last pre-release drop - If I remember correctly the test Forge is due to arrive 4th January and the youtuber will have his Tempest before Xmas so that will be an cool additional thing to see (hopefully).

Oh Brenyo said this before :

EDIT : @RedZep Totally excited to hear how the testing with the VI goes.. so cool.... is there a envy or jealousy enmoji :p:D

I literally ordered a ceramic tipped tweezers and it went out of stock at the time because of the sales... I ordered a new pair tonight... I just want to see if I can make it work...
Yeah I'm excited. Good excuse to modify my wand adaptor also so I can see the VI while in use. Need to do that after work. I'll report back with my findings.

RedZep,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Yeah I'm excited. Good excuse to modify my wand adaptor also so I can see the VI while in use. Need to do that after work. I'll report back with my findings.
so happy for you mate - merry Christmas :) I am going to take my 4am - to scared to fix his VI ass to bed.

You'll have to take video of it in action when you get it dialed in so we can see how the vapour production and indicators align, will be cool to see how low / high it ranges

VapingYogi,
Reactions: RedZep

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
On the whole cleaning thing... I realised that my dirty balls where actually leaking in to the class cup in the wand... my wand cup had reclaim in it - I was wondering where the hell the smell was coming from after I had cleaned the cap and balls and put it all back together... I pulled the cup out and it was... way dirtier than I expected... I am either the dirtiest old bastard or I was loosing a lot of the rosin I put in the chamber by being really lazy and not sandwiching it properly...
Yeah, i guess for that stuff the radiant heat from the heating tip is enough for it to start dripping.
If you don't sandwich (or use vapewool) and just drop some rosin (or even hash) on top i think it's a good idea to heat it in the wand tip upworths?
I try to avoid any debris in there tbh so when i doubt i heat it accordingly.

I wonder: was you VI stuck from the beginning or did it get stuck along the way?
Since you say that the reclaim drips out of your tip into the wand insert i assume there's quite a lot so i guess that also the VI and the click discs, if you had them, are covered in that sticky stuff, could that be the reason of the stuck VI?
I reckon this could interfere with the calibration and the clicks tbh so i try to keep the top as pristine as possible.

666Honeybadger,

rebelFarmer

Yeah, i guess for that stuff the radiant heat from the heating tip is enough for it to start dripping.
If you don't sandwich (or use vapewool) and just drop some rosin (or even hash) on top i think it's a good idea to heat it in the wand tip upworths?
I try to avoid any debris in there tbh so when i doubt i heat it accordingly.

I wonder: was you VI stuck from the beginning or did it get stuck along the way?
Since you say that the reclaim drips out of your tip into the wand insert i assume there's quite a lot so i guess that also the VI and the click discs, if you had them, are covered in that sticky stuff, could that be the reason of the stuck VI?
I reckon this could interfere with the calibration and the clicks tbh so i try to keep the top as pristine as possible.
I have smoked a decent amount of hash in mine with the odd chunk of conentrate also as a bowl topper and have not had an issue doing it the normal way. Still have not cleaned it either (although after being rather intimidated by it before, some of the folks in this thread have made me think it is not a big deal).

Just saying that this issue has not been an issue for me.

rebelFarmer,

Wylie

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
vap hot box 3D
Thx. Seems to be sold out and lacks features.

I know that the Induction heater by Camofleut has been used (not the same I know)
Again, thx, but yeah not battery operated or very portable.

Hopefully some more options become available soon. I am sure I read somewhere YLL may bring out a Tempest compatible IH.

Wylie,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
from the jump / the very start, I videoed and sent it to Brenyo in the first day

I have smoked a decent amount of hash in mine with the odd chunk of conentrate also as a bowl topper and have not had an issue doing it the normal way. Still have not cleaned it either (although after being rather intimidated by it before, some of the folks in this thread have made me think it is not a big deal).
its more rosin than hash to confirm

For about week I was almost exclusivily using my Tempest in a WPA in my Prophet and I would put the IH over the top of the Tempest standing upright in the Prophet... I would at this time just drop some Rosin on the top as it would soak into the herbs and then be perfectly extracted with the herbs....

... but my stand broke and I would do everything the same but I would put the Tempest into the IH upside down to heat up before putting it into the Prophet and its during this time that I think I dumped a bunch of reclaim onto the balls.

I did have problems with dry kief / dry compressed resin / dry hash where particles would drop onto the balls at first... but when I got some cotton that stopped as I would use it native with cotton.

Here is @Brenyo in his secret VI lair trying to achieve the perfect calibration
Now want Brenyo to post a photo of his Lair so we can compare :)

... now I want a Prophet & stand again... really do like using them with the Tempest, its almost made for it imo...

Last edited:
VapingYogi,

rebelFarmer

its more rosin than hash to confirm

For about week I was almost exclusivily using my Tempest in a WPA in my Prophet and I would put the IH over the top of the Tempest standing upright in the Prophet... I would at this time just drop some Rosin on the top as it would soak into the herbs and then be perfectly extracted with the herbs....
That makes perfect sense! I do use cotton actually but never on the top and I don't think I have tried rosin yet. In the past I have noted exactly what you are describing with a dyna though so I get it now!

Jojofernz

All this talk of coarse grinds made me order a flower mill plate kit lol cause all I have is the medium and sometimes I find it’s finer than I like. Looking forward to trying coarse and extra coarse!

Last edited:
Jojofernz,
Reactions: TedJones

ahm123

All this talk of coarse grinds made me order a flower milk plate kit lol cause all I have is the medium and sometimes I find it’s finer than I like. Looking forward to trying coarse and extra coarse!
All I own is medium bcg and am contemplating ordering coarse as well but only do half bowl on tempest. I read it’s preferred on full bowl but is it worth taking the leap for half?

ahm123,
Reactions: lluther

grognard3r

Update on Tempest Taste, Bowl Size, Temperature, and Miscellaneous

When I woke up this morning and went through my Saturday wake and bake ritual with my trusty Tempest, I felt inspired to give more concrete info on a post I made several pages back.

At one point of my review, I wrote that it would be hard for me to go back to most of my previous vapes before using the Tempest. I have now found a perfect way to musically express what I meant: the song, “The Thrill is Gone.” While B.B. King sings to a lover, the sentiment he captures in his farewell song could be me singing to 99% of my former vapes.

The Tempest fills a vape void.

It can hit differently depending on my mood/needs. I can chase flavor–exclusively– if I want to, which is often the case. Man, no other vape I own can bring out the Mowie Wowie pineapple-mango taste bud explosion as the Tempest. The same goes for GMO: no other vape I own can bring out the ueber garlicky-oniony-mushroomy-danky nuances. So for sure, the thrill is gone with all my other vapes that can’t bring on the taste like the Tempest.

I can’t think of a vape I own that can ramp up or down on demand like the Tempest. If I want to go “French roast” style of my ABV, I could do it. Personally, I have only done that one time because it kills the flavor for me. To be explicitly clear, I have never even taken my Tempest to maximum temperature/heat time (letting the “Time Out” signal appear on my Wand IH). The furthest I have ever gone is when the VI is just a hair to the left of the furthest possible point on the VI indicator itself. I need not go any higher in temp for my own needs, but I can see there are plenty of other users who push the envelope like that. I fully admit I have not taken the temp to its highest possible limit, which means there is still a lot of unexplored “heat space” that I just won’t venture into.

I 100% recommend cutting off some of the white tubing around the Wand internal adapter cup. You can easily see the VI move if you do, and it is so helpful in dialing in 100% repeatable results. So cool. If you have not yet done it, go do it now. Trust me, you won’t regret it because the Wand and the Tempest become an inseparable toy. It is a fun ritual.

Another important bit of info I left out in my previous post: I have not once used the full bowl, and I know I do not need to do so. I can go about 90 seconds of continuous vapor production on that ½ bowl amount. The Tempest has got to be one of the most energy efficient vapes I own.

I am a former cigarette smoker, and the Tempest, even on half bowl, can produce vapor for “about half the time of a traditional tobacco cigarette,” but that is just a guess (as it has been years since I have had a cigarette). The way the Tempest feels in your hand–from a former cigarette smoker–is pretty awesome, like a futuristic Terminator/Robocop style cigar.

I stated I do not like to use a torch because it introduces all kinds of hard to control variables, such as wind, spin speed, etc. I think the Wand IH is the best way to use your Tempest; as an aside, the Wand has gone unused for months because other heaters imo are better for Dynavap tips (like VapHotBox). For me, though, I sadly think I will need to put everything Dynavap in its resting place, much like this farewell scene to Prohibition from Once Upon a Time in America.

In any case, the lighters I recommend if you really must:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzom...ition-and-Flame-Lock-330194/301134308#overlay This lighter holds a lot of butane, and it produces a very strong single flame, which is superior to a triple flame because it focuses the heat on a single point.

Another good one (with a lot less fuel space but excellent ergonomics because of the angle you hold it in relationship to the tip): https://www.amazon.com/Scorch-Torch...ords=scorch+torch&qid=1702748551&sr=8-20&th=1

I DO NOT RECOMMEND a BLAZER torch, at least the smaller ones like the PB 207, because the head gets clogged too frequently for such a high price point. The above two cheaper options are better imo.

Mad Heaters, do you know if you have any plans to make an adapter for the Venty so that the Revolve/Tempest body can be attached to a Venty cooling unit? If so, it would make the Venty a lot more usable to me. Here is an example of a similar adapter for the Mighty: https://simrellcollection.com/products/titanium-adapter Heck, you might even be able to draw in some business from the S&B crowd because the Venty as it is (without your stem on it) produces a nasty “Bickel tickle” cough.

If such an adapter were available for the Venty, it would be an instabuy for me. The adapter for the Mighty is awesome because I can attach the Revolve/Tempest body there, and that takes care of most of the harshness. Sadly, the adapter size on the Venty will need to be a bit larger than the one for the Mighty.

I see a lot of discussion of grinders. I use an old Santa Cruz shredder. It works with zero problems.

TedJones

All I own is medium bcg and am contemplating ordering coarse as well but only do half bowl on tempest. I read it’s preferred on full bowl but is it worth taking the leap for half?
Not in my opinion. I’m liking the medium or even fine plate for half bowls. If you have other vapes that may benefit, then it might be worth getting.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I would say no honestly, not for just half bowls, however, a full coarse bowl loosely packed holds less than a full bowl loosely packed with medium or fine so, you are using less with coarse by having large air pockets/airflow

Not in my opinion. I’m liking the medium or even fine plate for half bowls. If you have other vapes that may benefit, then it might be worth getting.
I agree - I only just saw this :) - Medium is fine for all... but I do like coarse on full bowls - but half it doesn't pack well.

Update on Tempest Taste, Bowl Size, Temperature, and Miscellaneous
you rock, thank you for sharing, I enjoyed the read.

VapingYogi,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Since my balls fell out and I got to see just how dirty they had become over the last month, I’ve since been cleaning the cap over night each night and it’s noticeable; specifically, the Tempest heats up faster and reaches a higher temperature and it takes less time to cool to room temperature, it’s most noticeable at the bottom end of the cooling process, by that I mean, when it’s dirty, it seems to hold heat and stay warm for longer (not hot, warm) so it takes longer to drop from around ~100c to room temperature.

Anyway

I realised, I was to afraid to clean the cap regularly because I was afraid I’d somehow break it, loose the screen or the balls.

Soaking it over night and then rinsing it with hot water in the morning while it’s sitting in a strainer with holes smaller than the balls has eliminated my stress around cleaning it…

And I superglued my Wand stand into a position so I can once again heat the Tempest upright so my laziness doesn’t make my cleaning job more difficult.

RedZep

Since my balls fell out and I got to see just how dirty they had become over the last month, I’ve since been cleaning the cap over night each night and it’s noticeable; specifically, the Tempest heats up faster and reaches a higher temperature and it takes less time to cool to room temperature, it’s most noticeable at the bottom end of the cooling process, by that I mean, when it’s dirty, it seems to hold heat and stay warm for longer (not hot, warm) so it takes longer to drop from around ~100c to room temperature.

Anyway

I realised, I was to afraid to clean the cap regularly because I was afraid I’d somehow break it, loose the screen or the balls.

Soaking it over night and then rinsing it with hot water in the morning while it’s sitting in a strainer with holes smaller than the balls has eliminated my stress around cleaning it…

And I superglued my Wand stand into a position so I can once again heat the Tempest upright so my laziness doesn’t make my cleaning job more difficult.

I cleaned mine this morning. Soaked tip and cap in iso while I was drinking my morning coffee. Rinsed them off, assembled, ran a heat cycle with torch to boil of the water. Rapid and effortless.

I seem to be treating the Tempest the same way a Navy seal treats his rifle. Cleaning is so easy that it's actually fun keeping on top of. I never had that with other vapes. I would usually wait as long as possible before cleaning. I love the feeling of waking up to a clean Tempest, charged wand batteries, and ground herb in the reload. Feels like the universe is in order.

Oh and I did the spiral honey covered nug this morning and it has changed my plans for the day. I wasn't expecting that kind of potency. I can barely open my eyes. I think I will only do that in the evenings in future :D

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Mad Heaters, do you know if you have any plans to make an adapter for the Venty so that the Revolve/Tempest body can be attached to a Venty cooling unit?
It’s not planned, I don’t think I could sell enough of them to justify a production.

Is the official release still on for January 15th?
No, that date was never announced. Best case is end of January now, the click discs are still not ready :(

Top Bottom