The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

_dbw_

-1) I don't think you have to worry about that unless they get high with you. :D
-2) The Wand has a time out mode so no worries there.
-3) You can stick it in a leather carrying sleeve after use if you want I guess, but something like the Reload and some solid surface sure is convenient.
-4) The thermal matrix stays hot for a few minutes at least

Thanks kindly for some counter-thoughts! I just wanted a sanity check, ordered a reload in the MH Nov deal (aka stops me changing my mind...) and will wait patiently.

Is there only one type of insert for the wand that is suitable for the Tempest? (Edit to remove question re leather case - re-read website. and noted they are available as a kit)

Last edited:
_dbw_,
Reactions: Smknbud

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Other than cotton/rayon/hemp fibre… and other that a flower sandwich…

What other methods of using concentrates have you tried in the Tempest? Has there been any stand out methods; be it flavour, effects, cleaning… or just affective and enjoyable (use your own definitions)?

And if you only use cotton/rayon/hemp/flower, what would an ideal concentrate solution be?

Just playing around with things like a dosing capsule full of rubies..

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
Fog GIF

rebelFarmer

Other than cotton/rayon/hemp fibre… and other that a flower sandwich…

What other methods of using concentrates have you tried in the Tempest? Has there been any stand out methods; be it flavour, effects, cleaning… or just affective and enjoyable (use your own definitions)?

And if you only use cotton/rayon/hemp/flower, what would an ideal concentrate solution be?

Just playing around with things like a dosing capsule full of rubies..
I use a dynavap dosing cap full of rubies and an extra screen jammed on top for hash in my dyna, still waiting on my tempest so no word on that yet but figured its an extra point!

Brenyo

Manufacturer
The most annoying to me is that the heat shield moves from its o-ring very easily, such as when you remove the head.
It should stay in place and be very tight normally, did you take off the o-ring and maybe put a smaller one in place?
Make sure that's it's pushed onto the o-ring as far as it can go, you might need to lube the o-ring slightly, when it's completely dry it can be hard to push on. It should align with the end of the inner finned sleeve:

I have also noticed dark roast on top and light on bottom. Both latter problems seem to be slightly improved using a torch over the wand.
Try to push it a bit further down in the Wand, that should help. You should be able to achieve the same heating with the wand that you can with the torch.

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I use a dynavap dosing cap full of rubies and an extra screen jammed on top for hash in my dyna, still waiting on my tempest so no word on that yet but figured its an extra point!
I never tried it in my dyna but I used to put it in my Anvil XL bowl before trying it in the Tempest.

I have used a mighty pad, a dynacoil, all the fibre I could find, dosing cap with rubies, boro balls, sic balls, everything works in the Tempest and works better than in other devices I try the same thing in as its a better extraction in most cases and way less reclaim in all cases.

I just can't find something I really like yet.

It lead me to the best solution to stop any herbs from falling from the bowl, onto the ball screen when the ball screen is hot and combusting... a layer of rosin on the top, works everytime :p

jbm

Mine arrived. Unscrewed the cap and the bowl screen fell out. Got it into the half bowl position though I have yet to see if it stays. Long soak in everclear, then hot water then hot water and dish soap then hot water again. Do I need to do an empty burn off before loading with material?

RedZep

Mine arrived. Unscrewed the cap and the bowl screen fell out. Got it into the half bowl position though I have yet to see if it stays. Long soak in everclear, then hot water then hot water and dish soap then hot water again. Do I need to do an empty burn off before loading with material?
Yes, but more to boil off the water in the ball chamber than anything else. As it's your first time using device I would advise following this by placing it on a magnet to cool to room temp, before begining your first extraction.

RedZep,
Reactions: lluther

Peacefrog78

Yes, but more to boil off the water in the ball chamber than anything else. As it's your first time using device I would advise following this by placing it on a magnet to cool to room temp, before begining your first extraction.
This. I thought i had mine fully dry, but i noticed condensation appear in the glass wand adapter. One heat cycle took care of that

Peacefrog78,
Reactions: Timps27

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I just did iso / warm water and then heated it to 300c until timeout to make sure it was dry.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I spend a lot of time playing a lot with quick extractions, fewest breaths, aiming for "full" extractions, trying to get my AVB to a roast I wouldn't think to bother cooking with as there was nothing left, as time goes on that's becoming repeatable (in controlled environments), so I started playing with flavor and other ways of using the Tempest to achieve other experiences and I have been really enjoying long slow draws, especially with drops of concentrate resting on the top of my flower.

I like that I can overheat by accident and still use it while its cooling.

I pack the bowl of my Tempest half full with flower and tamp it down. I add concentrate to the top of my bowl, a decent serving... and I connect the bowl and cap and put it in my Prophet. I put my wand over the cap using my stand and start my stopwatch and watch it blinking as my balls come to temp, my little timer runs out (to be replaced by the sound of click discs and a pretty visual indicator that one day might stand out in a adonized color against the silver / stainless steel and titanium backdrop) and she's ready.

I start to take a long, drawn out, slow draw... the herbs start out protected, they haven't been heated hardly at all by the Induction Heater, being isolated / separated from the thermal matrix by some space... as the air from the first draw makes it through the system and into my mouth, there is cool wispy vapor, as the terps start evaporate, sending the the flavors dancing around on my tongue and as I pull the Tempest away from my lips the smell hits my nose as the vapor escapes from my lips, the smell tantalizing and suggestive of the experience to come. The wispy terps mix with the more substantial vapor from the other molecules as they evaporate and are released... by this stage the bowl and herbs have come up to a even temperature and it takes less of a breath to produce vapor, you can sip and take little hot puffs or continue to draw consistently slowly and consistently depending on your preference..

Your breath is the way you control the Temperatures of your herbs in the bowl of the Tempest, sometimes when I have overheated the Tempest, gentle breaths can allow me to use it slowly at higher temps than I would choose to as it slows down. How gentle and soft... or how hard and fast you draw breath through the device, dictates the amount of heat that is transferred from the thermal matrix in the cap, in the form of hot air, to the herbs in the bowl. I really apricate the fact that the heat from the Tempest isn't just dumped out in the first breaths that you take which can make you feel like you are running out of time to clear the bowl before the heat runs out. Instead the Tempest feels like you can take 15 seconds explaining it to your mate and at the end they would still be able to catch few good draws, 30 seconds or more.

As you draw air through the device, the heat is transferred from the thermal matrix and the herb slowly starts to heat up, starting with

Misterhyde

It should stay in place and be very tight normally, did you take off the o-ring and maybe put a smaller one in place?
Make sure that's it's pushed onto the o-ring as far as it can go, you might need to lube the o-ring slightly, when it's completely dry it can be hard to push on. It should align with the end of the inner finned sleeve:

Try to push it a bit further down in the Wand, that should help. You should be able to achieve the same heating with the wand that you can with the torch.

I tried to share a video for the first time, hopefully it works. It seems to be pushed all the way onto the o-ring to me. I did not change it, I only did a quick swab out when I recieved. Its not the worst thing ever, it just seems like it moves round more than whats purpose lful.

I moved the insert deeper in this morning and I seem to be getting a more thorough roast. Thanks! I'm definitely really enjoying the device overall. I could see it being my only portable vape one day.

Misterhyde,
Reactions: Beansuppa

kokolokokolokon

Did you find a fitting solid one? I just inverted a dosing capsule cap.
Nope. Im asking a friend for a dani one since if I buy dani screens the shipping cost is almost the twice of the screens price :lol:
What cap are you using?

I have used a mighty pad, a dynacoil, all the fibre I could find, dosing cap with rubies, boro balls, sic balls, everything works in the Tempest and works better than in other devices I try the same thing in as its a better extraction in most cases and way less reclaim in all cases.
did you unwrap the dynacoil to use it on the tempest?
I find it too small for a proper use. And I wouldn’t be able to stop hash of dirtying the ball screen :D

I would search for somekind of capsule for the oily hash on the tempest as temporal solution but damn, as well as the screens, the webs doesn’t say the size of the capsules (and i worry about worsen the taste). I need to awake my Mcgyver dark side :science:

Ps: yesterday i tried rosin with the tempest. I dont use to consume rosin. Just wow 🤣

Edit: @Misterhyde try to let it in place. After some use i find it get harder than the first uses. Right now i find mine super stable (even hard to remove :lol:) as well as the mouthpiece tube

Last edited:

Zagala

I just did iso / warm water and then heated it to 300c until timeout to make sure it was dry.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I spend a lot of time playing a lot with quick extractions, fewest breaths, aiming for "full" extractions, trying to get my AVB to a roast I wouldn't think to bother cooking with as there was nothing left, as time goes on that's becoming repeatable (in controlled environments), so I started playing with flavor and other ways of using the Tempest to achieve other experiences and I have been really enjoying long slow draws, especially with drops of concentrate resting on the top of my flower.

I like that I can overheat by accident and still use it while its cooling.

I pack the bowl of my Tempest half full with flower and tamp it down. I add concentrate to the top of my bowl, a decent serving... and I connect the bowl and cap and put it in my Prophet. I put my wand over the cap using my stand and start my stopwatch and watch it blinking as my balls come to temp, my little timer runs out (to be replaced by the sound of click discs and a pretty visual indicator that one day might stand out in a adonized color against the silver / stainless steel and titanium backdrop) and she's ready.

I start to take a long, drawn out, slow draw... the herbs start out protected, they haven't been heated hardly at all by the Induction Heater, being isolated / separated from the thermal matrix by some space... as the air from the first draw makes it through the system and into my mouth, there is cool wispy vapor, as the terps start evaporate, sending the the flavors dancing around on my tongue and as I pull the Tempest away from my lips the smell hits my nose as the vapor escapes from my lips, the smell tantalizing and suggestive of the experience to come. The wispy terps mix with the more substantial vapor from the other molecules as they evaporate and are released... by this stage the bowl and herbs have come up to a even temperature and it takes less of a breath to produce vapor, you can sip and take little hot puffs or continue to draw consistently slowly and consistently depending on your preference..

Your breath is the way you control the Temperatures of your herbs in the bowl of the Tempest, sometimes when I have overheated the Tempest, gentle breaths can allow me to use it slowly at higher temps than I would choose to as it slows down. How gentle and soft... or how hard and fast you draw breath through the device, dictates the amount of heat that is transferred from the thermal matrix in the cap, in the form of hot air, to the herbs in the bowl. I really apricate the fact that the heat from the Tempest isn't just dumped out in the first breaths that you take which can make you feel like you are running out of time to clear the bowl before the heat runs out. Instead the Tempest feels like you can take 15 seconds explaining it to your mate and at the end they would still be able to catch few good draws, 30 seconds or more.

As you draw air through the device, the heat is transferred from the thermal matrix and the herb slowly starts to heat up, starting with
You make it so exciting @VapingYogi! Thanks for all your contributions to this thread and tips for us waiting for the release. As much as I have been tempted by the test kits, I don’t trust my hands anymore to fiddle with tiny objects to add later the missing pieces. And actually the Ti versions look beautiful but what I want is a Tempest wood kit🥰. In the meantime I received my first Revolve and dressed the Rainbow and the Midnight Blue with wooden stems, and left the Black one raw, I am really enjoying them and my happy introduction to the MadHeaters world that also came with lots of goodies, thanks @Brenyo and I look forward to my Tempest wood kit and extra Midnight Blue head to use with my Revolve and other stems. Thanks everyone sharing your impressions and experience with the Tempest.

Smknbud

I tried to share a video for the first time, hopefully it works. It seems to be pushed all the way onto the o-ring to me. I did not change it, I only did a quick swab out when I recieved. Its not the worst thing ever, it just seems like it moves round more than whats purpose lful.
Yeah, that's way too loose. Double check that the o-ring is the right one even though it's the one that came installed and if you 'lubed' the o-ring it my be the culprit. This reminds me of when I did a deep clean of the Tempest and afterwards the bowl was being difficult to insert and I put some DynaWax on the o-rings and it made insert effortless but it also made the bowl spin when trying to unscrew from the Thermal Matrix. I had to wipe off most of the DynaWax to make things right.

Beansuppa

I moved the insert deeper in this morning and I seem to be getting a more thorough roast. Thanks! I'm definitely really enjoying the device overall. I could see it being my only portable vape one day.
This is exactly how mine is, you aren't the only one. The whole shield moves just pulling it off of the reload magnet.

Feyd2blak

The best 2 bowls:
Last bowl before cleaning, when I take a nugget or 2 and wipe the spirals of the cooling helix with them then vape them.
First bowl after cleaning when the flavors are peak.
Need to try that! I'm finding tempest to get dirty quite quickly, was so gunked up was hard to adjust the airflow, after a week of use
This is exactly how mine is, you aren't the only one. The whole shield moves just pulling it off of the reload magnet.
I found it easy initially to pop the heatshield off just applying pressure somewhere else, if your not holding it in the indents when removing the bowl or mouthpiece, but nowhere near as loose as that video, however having just tried to just lift it off the reload holding by the heat shield and it did click off, that magnet is just too sticky! :spidey: I either just tilt the tempest to remove, or more usually use the underside of the reload lid instead, still plenty strong to unscrew the matrix

Feyd2blak

Stupid me, put the Tempest with the mouthpiece in the Wand.
Hope you noticed before taking a hit! Anyone else notice the mouthpiece getting hot when using in closed mode? Never had a revolve 2 to compare but even on bypass with the carb closed the MP gets warm, using the direct tube not the helix, need to switch back to the helix for more experimentation

Feyd2blak,

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
It's home!!!! :party::D

I'll need some time to get the hang of it before "reviewing' but initial impression is just WOW!!!

Big fan of the Revolve and this baby is clearly the next step! Machining is truly impressive, engineering is cutting edge imo. So many options and very innovative features in such a small device... Beautiful work!!

Love how everything locks together and snaps into place! Gave it an ISO-bath and a shower after.
Ready for liftoff!!!
Great timing: received a wand yesterday and just before leaving work my Tempest was delivered at the jobsite so this is turning out to be a good, good friday!!!

I do have a couple of noob questions wrt the Wand. Never used an IH and searching this thread for the answers is harder then i thought...
So here goes:

How does the insert go in? With the open end on the topside (where display is) or open end on the other side?

I thought i read a post that said the VI could be seen when the tip is heating so i wonder how deep the insert goes exactly. On the instruction that came with the Tempest there's a picture showing the insert bottom more or less level with wand's O-ring (unclear if it's top or bottom o-ring) but like that i can't really see the VI while inserted.

I'm unsure where the wand get's the hottest/what spot to aim at. Does it heat evenly throughout or is there a hotter side?

First bowl i tried with wand on 300c on auto-mode (2 presses and it heats and turns off after X time).
I used wand with insert with open side on the back of the wand (don't ask me why, somehow i thought i read that somewhere but it seems somewhat strange because like that the display/buttons are on the back?)
Anyway....
That's how i did it as first try...
OMG....
Massive clouds but i got extremely close to combustion.
ABV never been this dark before... Didn't count on that so i hit it like there was no tomorrow and now i'm so fucking wasted. From one bowl goddammit... And i had all that testing to do... :smug:
Need to tune it down a bit so wondering if i should change the temperature or play with the position of the insert?

jbm

I need to dial in the wand settings some more, but had 3 half bowls this afternoon. Very impressive. Big clouds, good flavor, vapor quite cool. Half bowl screen staying in place. I’m running the wand at 600f, waiting for the light to stop blinking in automatic mode. The click is occurring pretty close to the light stopping. When people refer to the wand timeout, does that mean some error message appears, or the light stops blinking?

Shorner

I need to dial in the wand settings some more, but had 3 half bowls this afternoon. Very impressive. Big clouds, good flavor, vapor quite cool. Half bowl screen staying in place. I’m running the wand at 600f, waiting for the light to stop blinking in automatic mode. The click is occurring pretty close to the light stopping. When people refer to the wand timeout, does that mean some error message appears, or the light stops blinking?
I use mine at 330c until you get the timeout message and light goes off, the roast will also depend on how far you have the wand insert pushed down, mines about 1.5mm sticking out the bottom.....I'm getting consistently dark avb with these settings.

Shorner,
Reactions: ezpz
Top Bottom