The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
The final touch could be the leather parchment case
;)
Definitely debatable! :cool:

BushRanger,

Misterhyde

How fast are people going through wand batteries? I have 2 sets for my wand but wondering if it wouldn't hurt to get more.

Misterhyde,

Beansuppa

How fast are people going through wand batteries? I have 2 sets for my wand but wondering if it wouldn't hurt to get more.
I feel like that's going to really come down to your personal usage, will be hard for any of us to judge. But I think if you have an extra pair for backup and an external charger, that's probably enough?

But everyone's different...if you're medicating every couple of hours then maybe a 3rd pair and a charger with 4 battery slots would be useful.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I use 3 sets of batteries, during the week - a set will usually last me 1-2 nights... well not the default aspire batteries, but the others last at least a full night. I think a spare set is all most people will need most of the time, I use up to 2 sets on a sunday so having a third comes in handy but during the week ones being used, ones being charged (default aspire set plus I have a set of 2 Molicel P28a and a set of 2 Samsung INR18650-30Q)
So, this means you removed that cooling spiral in the stem (or different stem, what kind?), flow setting 2/3, tapped carb hole? Massive and dense clouds sound like a win win :)
he changed the Helix tube for the Direct tube which bypasses the internal cooling spiral and directly sends the condenser hot vapour to the mouthpiece with very little cooling, very dense hot clouds so its a good way to do little puffs like a joint or its also a great setting to use in a bong.

In addition he rotated the sleave that goes around the cap to set the airflow to 2/3 open.

He leaves the carb airflow open but usually closes it with his fingers

Well, the hype levels can't get much higher, so it's gonna be really tough for this device to meet expectations. I am really hoping, and am pretty confident, that it will.
like with everything, there is a learning curve and I think thats been the most interesting thing watching people get it, maybe not get the experience they wanted, but didn't really try out the device properly, didn't change Helix to Direct or didn't try and use it in a bunch of different ways and found the experience they wanted. Longer people use it and dial it in it seem in general the excitement continues...

The Tempest is top 2 of my vapes and its not complete yet... I can list about 40 vapes or more that I have owned (most have been given away) and the Tempest blew a handful back into boxes and they haven't come back out...

Last edited:

Misterhyde

I use 3 sets of batteries, during the week - a set will usually last me 1-2 nights... well not the default aspire batteries, but the others last at least a full night. I think a spare set is all most people will need most of the time, I use up to 2 sets on a sunday so having a third comes in handy but during the week ones being used, ones being charged (default aspire set plus I have a set of 2 Molicel P28a and a set of 2 Samsung INR18650-30Q)

he changed the Helix tube for the Direct tube which bypasses the internal cooling spiral and directly sends the condenser hot vapour to the mouthpiece with very little cooling, very dense hot clouds so its a good way to do little puffs like a joint or its also a great setting to use in a bong.

In addition he rotated the sleave that goes around the cap to set the airflow to 2/3 open.

He leaves the carb airflow open but usually closes it with his fingers

like with everything, there is a learning curve and I think thats been the most interesting thing watching people get it, maybe not get the experience they wanted, but didn't really try out the device properly, didn't change Helix to Direct or didn't try and use it in a bunch of different ways and found the experience they wanted. Longer people use it and dial it in it seem in general the excitement continues...

The Tempest is top 2 of my vapes and its not complete yet... I can list about 40 vapes or more that I have owned (most have been given away) and the Tempest blew a handful back into boxes and they haven't come back out...
Thanks. You convinced me to go ahead and grab some Molicel P28A while they where on sale. I only have the 2 sets with 1 being the aspire ones that came with the wand. I suspect these ones are not as good and I thing my wand will be working a lot harder soon.

Misterhyde,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Thanks. You convinced me to go ahead and grab some Molicel P28A while they where on sale. I only have the 2 sets with 1 being the aspire ones that came with the wand. I suspect these ones are not as good and I thing my wand will be working a lot harder soon.
*smiles* while I never want to be the reason people spend money, happy to help :p

VapingYogi,
Reactions: RxPlorer

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
Is the Direct tube included in the kit or we need to buy separately?

To use in a bong, I think I'd prefer the WPA...those 8mm stem adapters with 10/14/18mm joints.

May I ask if single flame torch (Vapman model) is ok for heating Tempest?

BushRanger,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Is the Direct tube included in the kit or we need to buy separately?

To use in a bong, I think I'd prefer the WPA...those 8mm stem adapters with 10/14/18mm joints.

May I ask if single flame torch (Vapman model) is ok for heating Tempest?
The Helix tube and the Direct tube are included.

I use a Ed's TNT wooden 14mm WPA with my Tempest (8mm connection is right)

Yeah you can use a single flame, but the Tempest does eat a LOT more heat than a Dynavap so it will take longer with a single flame than a triple flame and I think most people are using triple flame torches at the moment. The Tempest doesn't have the same heating constraints as a Dynavap.

Just a reminder there is a manual which can help :)

Tempest_manual.jpg

Manual

PossumMD

The Helix tube and the Direct tube are included.

I use a Ed's TNT wooden 14mm WPA with my Tempest (8mm connection is right)

Yeah you can use a single flame, but the Tempest does eat a LOT more heat than a Dynavap so it will take longer with a single flame than a triple flame and I think most people are using triple flame torches at the moment. The Tempest doesn't have the same heating constraints as a Dynavap.

Just a reminder there is a manual which can help :)

Tempest_manual.jpg

Manual
What about a chef's torch? Cos that's what I use for my Dani now and it is significantly faster than any other torch I've had.

PossumMD,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
What about a chef's torch? Cos that's what I use for my Dani now and it is significantly faster than any other torch I've had.
oh that will do the job lol most of my single flames are smallish... a blazer style big single would be totally fine and fast

VapingYogi,

RedZep

Another musing on the vape signature. Although it's clearly convection heavy, I do wonder if towards the end of the heat cycle the ratio changes to allow more conduction.

I believe that the "grounded" feeling is the hard edge of convection being shaved off right at the end. Seemingly allows for a convection signature that feels comfortable to apply in late evenings, where I would usually think twice about using something like a Sticky Brick.

Feel free to ignore for those who don't enjoy signature discussion. Just thought I'd chime in.

Smknbud

Well, the hype levels can't get much higher, so it's gonna be really tough for this device to meet expectations. I am really hoping, and am pretty confident, that it will.
I kinda know what you are saying, but as of the last drop all that's going to change is click discs that are calibrated correctly and the bowl screen being updated to better quality/fitment. Other than that, as far as I know of course, the Tempest is pretty much ready for prime time.

Smknbud,
Reactions: Brenyo

Brenyo

Manufacturer
@Brenyo , any plans to release an induction heater in next 6 months for the tempest. Trying to decide whether I should buy a Wand during Black Friday.
Sorry for the late reply, it def won’t happen in the next 6 months, best case is end of next year if it’s happening.

The problem with the Sense IH is that the wand works too well. If I go ahead with the my version it could easily cost twice as much without too many extra functions apart from the smaller size, adjustable power (wouldn’t get used a lot) and magnet. The proper temp control wouldn’t work with different devices.

I don’t have enough customers or sold devices at this point to make an expensive IH for it, most customers would just buy the much cheaper wand.
I can’t make less than a few thousand of them for it to be worth making.

I’m considering making a cheaper IH instead ( below 125 usd) without proper temp control or just keep the wand for now if most ppl are happy with it as is. TBD after the release

Using the original batteries it can heat up the cap from cold with zirconia balls about 15 times. 18 with glass balls. 2 sets of batteries are plenty in my opinion.

What about a chef's torch?
Smaller ones like a triple torch is easier to control in my opinion, but it should work.

Thanks for the reviews everyone, much appreciated!

I’m getting way too many emails about another pre-release drop, so I’m trying to arrange that now for them to arrive before Christmas to the US. No promises though and I’d expect it around the 10th, hopefully with final bowl screens. 50 or 100pcs.

RedZep

Sorry for the late reply, it def won’t happen in the next 6 months, best case is end of next year if it’s happening.

The problem with the Sense IH is that the wand works too well. If I go ahead with the my version it could easily cost twice as much without too many extra functions apart from the smaller size, adjustable power (wouldn’t get used a lot) and magnet. The proper temp control wouldn’t work with different devices.

I don’t have enough customers or sold devices at this point to make an expensive IH for it, most customers would just buy the much cheaper wand.

I’m considering making a cheaper IH instead ( below 125 usd) without proper temp control or just keep the wand for now if most ppl are happy with it as is. TBD after the release

Using the original batteries it can heat up the cap from cold with zirconia balls about 15 times. 18 with glass balls. 2 sets of batteries are plenty in my opinion.

Smaller ones like a triple torch is easier to control in my opinion, but it should work.

I’m getting way too many emails about another pre-release drop, so I’m trying to arrange that now for them to arrive before Christmas to the US. No promises though and I’d expect it around the 10th, hopefully with final bowl screens. 50 or 100pcs.
I would be interested in a simple IH like the wand, that is simply smaller. I would take my wallet out for that. I love how the wand works, but it's a touch too big and heavy when outdoors imo.

Not sure how viable that design is, or what trade offs it would take. Perhaps one battery instead of two.

BlazeyMcBlazeFace

I want nugs not hugs

Amazing!!! 🙌🏻🥳 hopefully I can snap out up! 😬🤞🏻🥳💚🌬️

BlazeyMcBlazeFace,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Another musing on the vape signature. Although it's clearly convection heavy, I do wonder if towards the end of the heat cycle the ratio changes to allow more conduction.

I believe that the "grounded" feeling is the hard edge of convection being shaved off right at the end. Seemingly allows for a convection signature that feels comfortable to apply in late evenings, where I would usually think twice about using something like a Sticky Brick.

Feel free to ignore for those who don't enjoy signature discussion. Just thought I'd chime in.

TLDR: I don't think there is a single simple signature for the Tempest. The users technique has a very significant impact on the experience and as such its very hard to simplify the experiences the Tempest caters for - with a simple single signature.

I have been playing with the language a bit myself to try and work out ways to explain the experiences I am getting when using the Tempest and its very hard to explain things without using terminology that is controversial :p regardless...

The Tempest is a convection heavy hybrid vape.

Unlike a lot of other vapes that kind of have one way of using it (session, on demand) and one way to heat the oven (as determined by the vape whether its the Tiny Might and on demand convection to the Mighty and session style hybrid heating) - The Tempest is able to provide a number of different experiences based on how you use it.

The Tempest is capable of low temp complete extractions over a long time and can also be used to have or multiple back to back bowls while the Tempest is hot.

When you do either of these techniques, you increase the radiant heat in the oven and over time, there is a fair amount of conduction to the bowl due to the Tempest being at, or above "peak heat" for long enough, for the heat to transfer both directly from the cap to the bowl, but also from the heat of the vapour itself which is where @Brenyo said most of the heat transfer to the stem is coming from.

Alternatively; You can use the Tempest like an on demand device and do really hot quick extractions in one of two breaths, most of the time when I use these devices, I might have one or two hits but I usually let the device cool at this stage before having another. Both of these techniques either allow the device to cool between uses or uses the cool air introduced to reduce radiant heat and conduction to the bowl and maintains a convection dominant experience. However, depending on the temperatures used, you could get a more heady excitable experience at lower temperatures, or at a higher temperature, you cold get a more grounded and yet still heady experience.

Theses factors, the technique of the user and how they choose to draw air through the device, as well as the temperatures used, the orientation of the device when in use, the method of heating and where on the device was the focus for the heat when heating, for example how close to the bowl is the heat source, how low on the cap you choose to heat the device, all this stuff changes the experience and effects that the user experience.

** While these variables are present in all devices, the Tempest's signature IMHO is as variable as the ways you use the device **

For example :

First bowl of the day, Tempest is room temperature, I heat the device up the usual way I do and I have a "convection" heavy experience, moderate temperatures, 30-40 second total duration, I'm usually smiling and a little more relaxed but still all about the task that I have in front of me.

As the day goes on, lunch comes and goes, I'm sitting down trying to knock the pain on the head so I can do whatever is next, I decide to smash 6 bowls in a row, as I progress through the bowls the roast gets progressively darker, both from the higher temperatures achieved by doing the same heat up each time but not letting the tempest cool, in addition there is significant conduction to the bowl, by this time its so hot it could burn easily enough and the Tempest is taking 70 seconds to go through the VI cycle.

Its at this stage I start to move into a more grounded experience, I get to my 5th or 6th bowl and forget to do my next one and I know I have reached the point to stop. Its a more physical experience, more sedative (calming is probably a better word) and I finally have an appetite and might eat for the first time that day.

Night, always is bowl after bowl OR hash and higher temperatures, in both cases there is both a high level of conduction but also higher temperatures for convection, both of those combine to make for a heavier, calmer experience and is where I end up when relaxing and preparing to sleep.

Just a opinion

RedZep

TLDR: I don't think there is a single simple signature for the Tempest. The users technique has a very significant impact on the experience and as such its very hard to simplify the experiences the Tempest caters for - with a simple single signature.

I have been playing with the language a bit myself to try and work out ways to explain the experiences I am getting when using the Tempest and its very hard to explain things without using terminology that is controversial :p regardless...

The Tempest is a convection heavy hybrid vape.

Unlike a lot of other vapes that kind of have one way of using it (session, on demand) and one way to heat the oven (as determined by the vape whether its the Tiny Might and on demand convection to the Mighty and session style hybrid heating) - The Tempest is able to provide a number of different experiences based on how you use it.

The Tempest is capable of low temp complete extractions over a long time and can also be used to have or multiple back to back bowls while the Tempest is hot.

When you do either of these techniques, you increase the radiant heat in the oven and over time, there is a fair amount of conduction to the bowl due to the Tempest being at, or above "peak heat" for long enough, for the heat to transfer both directly from the cap to the bowl, but also from the heat of the vapour itself which is where @Brenyo said most of the heat transfer to the stem is coming from.

Alternatively; You can use the Tempest like an on demand device and do really hot quick extractions in one of two breaths, most of the time when I use these devices, I might have one or two hits but I usually let the device cool at this stage before having another. Both of these techniques either allow the device to cool between uses or uses the cool air introduced to reduce radiant heat and conduction to the bowl and maintains a convection dominant experience. However, depending on the temperatures used, you could get a more heady excitable experience at lower temperatures, or at a higher temperature, you cold get a more grounded and yet still heady experience.

Theses factors, the technique of the user and how they choose to draw air through the device, as well as the temperatures used, the orientation of the device when in use, the method of heating and where on the device was the focus for the heat when heating, for example how close to the bowl is the heat source, how low on the cap you choose to heat the device, all this stuff changes the experience and effects that the user experience.

** While these variables are present in all devices, the Tempest's signature IMHO is as variable as the ways you use the device **

For example :

First bowl of the day, Tempest is room temperature, I heat the device up the usual way I do and I have a "convection" heavy experience, moderate temperatures, 30-40 second total duration, I'm usually smiling and a little more relaxed but still all about the task that I have in front of me.

As the day goes on, lunch comes and goes, I'm sitting down trying to knock the pain on the head so I can do whatever is next, I decide to smash 6 bowls in a row, as I progress through the bowls the roast gets progressively darker, both from the higher temperatures achieved by doing the same heat up each time but not letting the tempest cool, in addition there is significant conduction to the bowl, by this time its so hot it could burn easily enough and the Tempest is taking 70 seconds to go through the VI cycle.

Its at this stage I start to move into a more grounded experience, I get to my 5th or 6th bowl and forget to do my next one and I know I have reached the point to stop. Its a more physical experience, more sedative (calming is probably a better word) and I finally have an appetite and might eat for the first time that day.

Night, always is bowl after bowl OR hash and higher temperatures, in both cases there is both a high level of conduction but also higher temperatures for convection, both of those combine to make for a heavier, calmer experience and is where I end up when relaxing and preparing to sleep.

Just a opinion
Not much to say other than I agree with all this. Nice insights. Tempest experience is versatile in all dimensions.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Not much to say other than I agree with all this. Nice insights. Tempest experience is versatile in all dimensions.
*smiling* thank you

Truthfully, I get ask so much "How is the Tempest like to use?" that I started to try and break it down... now I ask a few questions to be able to figure out how they want to use it and then think of the configuration that "might" work, remember what experience/signature is like when you use it in that configuration - in that way so i can explain things in the context of the person I am talking to wants to use the Tempest - for example; a bong smoker wants a different experience to a joint smoker and the Tempest can do both - well, it just a little configuration change and a few techniques (breathing style, heat style, do you draw straight away after the heat finishes or give it a second to equalize temperature across the whole cap) and all this little things make a significant difference.

Plus, I just enjoy a healthy debate, so I tried to combine what I think we were both trying to express, as I felt we were on a similar page, with more of the language and perspective that @bhasma has been trying to use to try and see if I could explain "both" - but more importantly explain the strengths of the Tempest which is sort of more important.

[bed / night]

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

I can certainly understand being uncomfortable developing something that Is reasonably expensive and may have a limited audience. Nobody wants to be the maker of a white elephant, especially after significant investment. At the same time, I will admit to a little nervousness about being reliant on an unaffiliated 3rd party to produce the heater that you want to use with your device. If actual temperature control is not really an advantage in its use, then there may be lots of other options, eventually. One can hope that the release of the Tempest and other wider headed IH driven vapes might lead to other IH makers making devices with larger coils and the issue would be moot. I would love to see, however, what you might come up with as an alternative to the Wand at a similar price point...
All that being said there is always the torch.

Last edited:

TankeyPankey

@VapingYogi You mentioned earlier that Tempest is a top 2 device for you right now. What's the other vape in the top 2? Do you see the tempest moving into a clear top 1 after more use? Or are your top 2 devices for different uses?

If this is too much of a comparison question, feel free to move into the other thread.

TankeyPankey,

Smknbud

I get about half at best the number of heat ups from cold that you are with the stock batteries and stock zirconia balls. I mean, I'm not completely depleting the batteries, but when I put them in an external charger (Nitecore) there is only one bar left. Don't get me wrong, it's not a big deal since I have extra Molicel batteries, but just saying......

Smknbud,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
At the same time, I will admit to a little nervousness about being reliant on an unaffiliated 3rd party to produce the heater that you want to use with your device.
Obviously if there is no good alternative available the IH would be a priority without question. :)

The Tempest is not even released so it’s hard to say how popular it will be which is what I have to base this decision on. I already spent a significant amount of money and time on it so it wouldn’t take too long to finish it though.
Also since I won't be able to sell the Wand it makes it a bit more likely to happen as well.

I get about half at best the number of heat ups from cold that you are with the stock batteries and stock zirconia balls. I mean, I'm not completely depleting the batteries, but when I put them in an external charger (Nitecore) there is only one bar left. Don't get me wrong, it's not a big deal since I have extra Molicel batteries, but just saying......
I ran it at 300C until timeout and depleted the batteries completely where it was still working nearly as well as fully charged. It should be correct, but I’ve started a new count now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom