The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

garett

One thing I started doing and haven't had any issues like that since was not heating it with the wand laid flat on the table. I think some of my material was falling from the bowl and sitting on the screen which got it a bit too roasty-toasty for me. I've since dialed the temp back to just shy of halfway between the 2nd and 3rd indicators for my happy place. I've heated horizontal or resting the wand down on top of the cap recently and not sure if that affects it or me getting more used to handling it
I will try this, but it kills the form factor, if i do this then i cant use it handsfree.
But you can be right.

Atm i can only vape outside. My wife hates the smell but has nothing against me doing it. Its just that she get headaches from it.
Its 10C outside, and all my DV, Dani and now the Tempest cool down pretty fast.
Everyone says that they can vape for a good minute or two. Not in my case, it feels i have to rush a bit. I hope thats just because if the cold temps outside. But can someone of you maybe try to vape one bowl outside in the cold and tell me if its really shorter? Can you take a look at your AVB after one heat cicle? This would help me to compare with mine.

My AVB looks pretty dark at top, but light brown in the middle. But with a second heat cicle, it starts to taste burned, sure because of the dark top part. I think thats because of the cold temps outside, but i dont know exactly.

Can someone pleas post a photo of the wand adapter, and how deep you pushed it in? Maybe mine is to deep, and it cooks the herb instead of the balls?

garett,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
How deep do you push the wand adapter in? Is the closed glass end even with the red silicone on the bottom, or a bit more in/out? I dont know if i have the best position, cause my material is always pretty dark at the top, rest could be reheated, but when i do this it tastes almost burnt. I did it with 320C until timeout.
The bottom of the glass cup should be about 0.5mm inwards from the silicone, just a tiny bit. That's how mine is set up.
There might be slight differences between the exact position of the coil in each wand. I didn't notice much difference though.

It would be great if we had a Wki for all the Tempest knowledge, that could easily be referenced, e.g. heating time cycles recommendations and technique, wand adaptors etc etc.
I'll start working on it soon :tup:

I hope thats just because if the cold temps outside. But can someone of you maybe try to vape one bowl outside in the cold and tell me if its really shorter? Can you take a look at your AVB after one heat cicle? This would help me to compare with mine.
It's definitely much shorter, there is a noticeable difference especially if there's wind. You can still get pretty good results with a few DL hits.

VIDEO:

Last edited:

garett

t's definitely much shorter, there is a noticeable difference especially if there's wind. You can still get pretty good results with a few DL hits.
Ok, there is always wind where i live. So its the same with all my other non battery vapes too. Do you think this could also be the „problem“ with the uneven AVB? Maybe because the bowl cools down so fast, and the top part not because it is closer to the balls?
I tried it with 320C and 400C.

Thx for the wand pic.

Edit: the Video was suuuper helpfull. Thx alot.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Ok, there is always wind where i live. So its the same with all my other non battery vapes too. Do you think this could also be the „problem“ with the uneven AVB? Maybe because the bowl cools down so fast, and the top part not because it is closer to the balls?
I tried it with 320C and 400C.

Thx for the wand pic.
It's not as easy to make it even as it is inside because of the shorter cooldown time. It's also very windy here most of the time and I vape 1-2 bowls daily outside. You can try a looser fill to improve the hot airflow through the herb to make it more even. Try to pack it with the hoover / straw method.

I've linked a video as well above the wand pic, not sure if you missed it. You can see the AVB at the end.

garett

It's not as easy to make it even as it is inside because of the shorter cooldown time. It's also very windy here most of the time and I vape 1-2 bowls daily outside. You can try a looser fill to improve the hot airflow through the herb to make it more even. Try to pack it with the hoover / straw method.

I've linked a video as well above the wand pic, not sure if you missed it. You can see the AVB at the end.
Missed the video at first, but i saw it. That helped alot, thx.

Smknbud

The bottom of the glass cup should be about 0.5mm inwards from the silicone, just a tiny bit. That's how mine is set up.
There might be slight differences between the exact position of the coil in each wand. I didn't notice much difference though.
The bottom of my insert, at least from looking at your picture, appears inserted further into the wand than yours. it is my attempt to keep the bowl from being heated by the IH and just have the Wand heat the Thermal Matrix. I'm not sure if this has an effect on the visual heat indicators this way at all, but since I'm using the time-out mode I'm not sure if it really matters?.

174127596.jpg

174127594.jpg

garett

The bottom of my insert, at least from looking at your picture, appears inserted further into the wand than yours. it is my attempt to keep the bowl from being heated by the IH and just have the Wand heat the Thermal Matrix. I'm not sure if this has an effect on the visual heat indicators this way at all, but since I'm using the time-out mode I'm not sure if it really matters?.

174127596.jpg

174127594.jpg
Thats exactly what i was thinking of.
Yours is pretty far inside right?

Brenyo

Manufacturer
The bowl won't be heated by the IH directly as that part doesn't have the induction layer like around the balls and the indicator. The coils starts a bit further down in the wand than the red silicone on the screen side of the device.

If you have the glass cup higher up then the heating will be focused more on the indicators and less so on the balls and that's not what you want.
You can imagine it the same way as with a DV, if you heat closer to the click disc then it will be a lighter roast because the click happens sooner, same with these indicators. If the glass cup is lower like how I use it then the coils are centred on the ball area.

You can use it that way as well and just ignore the indicator, but the bowl is not hot enough along with the top row of balls so you'll have to draw more heat into those parts as well loosing significant heat in the process and makes the AVB uneven.

Last edited:

Zasquatch

Z-stems
Time for my two cents. Been testing the Tempest hard since I got it and I will start by saying it is beyond the hype. It is game changing. Yes it’s THAT GOOD.

Initial reactions in the hand - this is world class machining and finishing. What you would expect from MH no doubt! Everything is very well thought out, fits perfectly, and the DLC coating on my black version is absolutely fantastic and has a very nice hand feel. As others have mentioned, it’s a bit shocking how light it is. With all the widgets and the extra heat shield sleeve you want to think it’s going to be heavy, but it is super light.

The cap is very impressive. The airflow control is a very nice addition, works smooth. The ball retaining screen is also excellent, a premium touch.

The visual indicator changes how you operate. It’s next level stuff! I’ll get into my use style in a minute but I’ve been using it to track heat retention and when my thermal battery is getting low and needs a quick boost. It moves smooth and seems very well calibrated on mine. Click disk is there and works, but as noted by @Brenyo, it’s early by 6-8 seconds. It’s repeatable tho, so actually gives a nice warning that you’re getting close. Mine is one and done, meaning it fires off from cold, but takes a looooooonnnnnng time to click cold and reset. Like minutes later sometimes. So it’s good for the first heat up but not reheats.

Now for the fun part. I opened my wand specifically to use with the Tempest. Works great as others have noted, and the included adapter cup is pretty idiot-proof. It’s nice to be able to watch the indicator from the bottom. The wand light pulses give a little backlight so you can see the indicator in the dark.

But I hate the wand form factor. Sorry, just not for me. I’ll use it because it works great but it’s just not my preference. So, I decided to F around with my FFP to see if I could get that to work. Cut to the punch line: it’s freakin awesome! It takes some tinkering to set up, but once you do that it’s extremely repeatable. I tried a few different setting but here’s what I did and what I’ve been using the last few nights:

First, you need to remove the glass cup. You’ll need to pop off a capacitor and slip a piece of heat resistant material under the coil to protect the screws from shorting out. I used some silicone sheet. You also need to gently adjust the coils so they are tight and as close to the top as you can get. I’ll include pics below. If done correctly, the coils will be centered around the bands on the cap, and above the indication assembly. I am using powerful mode, at 75W. This gives a 40s heat from cold, landing right between the 2nd and 3rd indicators, slightly towards 3rd. I get 3 or 4 super tasty and dense rips - I haven’t timed how long, but they are casual not rushed. I reheat 20s more and that gets back to temp. 2 more rips or so and the bowl is toasted a very even medium/dark brown. Right where I like to be.

So yeah, absolutely love this thing, am super grateful I was able to get one, am super grateful @Brenyo hooked it up in black, and am pretty F’in thrilled I can rock it with the FFP! This is revolutionary and a huge step for this space. Well done MH and phatpiggy, this is one little ripper.

Coil before:

Coil adjusted:

Here’s the two together, and btw the BFG Dani leather sleeve fits great 👍

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Time for my two cents. Been testing the Tempest hard since I got it and I will start by saying it is beyond the hype. It is game changing. Yes it’s THAT GOOD.

Initial reactions in the hand - this is world class machining and finishing. What you would expect from MH no doubt! Everything is very well thought out, fits perfectly, and the DLC coating on my black version is absolutely fantastic and has a very nice hand feel. As others have mentioned, it’s a bit shocking how light it is. With all the widgets and the extra heat shield sleeve you want to think it’s going to be heavy, but it is super light.

The cap is very impressive. The airflow control is a very nice addition, works smooth. The ball retaining screen is also excellent, a premium touch.

The visual indicator changes how you operate. It’s next level stuff! I’ll get into my use style in a minute but I’ve been using it to track heat retention and when my thermal battery is getting low and needs a quick boost. It moves smooth and seems very well calibrated on mine. Click disk is there and works, but as noted by @Brenyo, it’s early by 6-8 seconds. It’s repeatable tho, so actually gives a nice warning that you’re getting close. Mine is one and done, meaning it fires off from cold, but takes a looooooonnnnnng time to click cold and reset. Like minutes later sometimes. So it’s good for the first heat up but not reheats.

Now for the fun part. I opened my wand specifically to use with the Tempest. Works great as others have noted, and the included adapter cup is pretty idiot-proof. It’s nice to be able to watch the indicator from the bottom. The wand light pulses give a little backlight so you can see the indicator in the dark.

But I hate the wand form factor. Sorry, just not for me. I’ll use it because it works great but it’s just not my preference. So, I decided to F around with my FFP to see if I could get that to work. Cut to the punch line: it’s freakin awesome! It takes some tinkering to set up, but once you do that it’s extremely repeatable. I tried a few different setting but here’s what I did and what I’ve been using the last few nights:

First, you need to remove the glass cup. You’ll need to pop off a capacitor and slip a piece of heat resistant material under the coil to protect the screws from shorting out. I used some silicone sheet. You also need to gently adjust the coils so they are tight and as close to the top as you can get. I’ll include pics below. If done correctly, the coils will be centered around the bands on the cap, and above the indication assembly. I am using powerful mode, at 75W. This gives a 40s heat from cold, landing right between the 2nd and 3rd indicators, slightly towards 3rd. I get 3 or 4 super tasty and dense rips - I haven’t timed how long, but they are casual not rushed. I reheat 20s more and that gets back to temp. 2 more rips or so and the bowl is toasted a very even medium/dark brown. Right where I like to be.

So yeah, absolutely love this thing, am super grateful I was able to get one, am super grateful @Brenyo hooked it up in black, and am pretty F’in thrilled I can rock it with the FFP! This is revolutionary and a huge step for this space. Well done MH and phatpiggy, this is one little ripper.

Coil before:

Coil adjusted:

I wish I was that handy...

Cannabiker

Are there any hardcore Anvil RTL users that have recieved a Tempest yet ? Does it hit as hard that's what I want to know 🤔
It doesn't have that hole-shot, off-the-line dab-like density of the Anvil, if that's what you mean. The Tempest ramps up more slowly. Still, I would say that comparing similar sized loads, the Tempest can produce equal effects, and it tastes better.

Shorner

@Cannabiker Cheers mate, I can see from the vids that the vapor ramps up which I think i will like, good to hear the strength and taste is there too 👍

Shorner,

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Did you try a dani on the one? If the dani doesn’t heat the wand more that it should…then the tempest neither 🤣
This is a good point. I've been heating the Stunner with the Wand with no weird smells or heat effects and the Stunner tip has a 14mm diameter and more mass (I'm guessing?) since it's bigger. It isn't optimized for IH with a SS section like the Tempest but still works fine with approximately the same timeout.

Cannabiker

It would be interesting to know if the Tempest and the Camouflet Inductor work together.
Yes, they do. I've turned the Inductor to its lowest setting, because in my limited experience it seems like the Tempest likes a relatively slow heat-up to thoroughly soak the balls. Even then the Inductor makes the Tempest glow in seconds, but the time to full heat on the visual indicator is about the same as a small/medium torch (I've been using a Blazer GB4001).

What's a bummer is the YLL IH won't recognize the Tempest. It fits, but the sensors don't pick it up. I'm hoping there's a fix for that, because the YLL should have plenty of power.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
It’s not just about the thermal source; the engineering thought that went into a device with this small of form factor while being able to adjust the experience nigh infinitely on both ends of the process is impressive.

Been running a single flame, heating middle to end of tip, and allowing extra cool time between each cycle. The flavor is fantastic and lasts even longer! Not quite the terp smack I get from ZX or even Qaroma, but the achievable flavor is far beyond anything I’ve tried in this form factor.

techtoker

As luck would have it, my VHB 3d came in a few days ago, so I've been using that with the tempest.

Note, prior to that I was using the wand and didn't run into any issues with a smell or unvenen extraction.

I definitely have been under extracting the bowls. I just significantly lowered the VHB chamber (so it's barely above the base), and got a very dark brown, evenly extracted abv that tasted wonderful.

I think that because I'm used to dialing in a device based off the clicks it is taking me longer to figure out the tempest. And remember, the final version will have a clicker. This is also my first ball vape as well.

Having all of these options isn't a bad thing! It future proofs the tempest in several ways. @Brenyo really has created a powerful device that is currently it's own unique category.

techtoker

It’s not just about the thermal source; the engineering thought that went into a device with this small of form factor while being able to adjust the experience nigh infinitely on both ends of the process is impressive.

Been running a single flame, heating middle to end of tip, and allowing extra cool time between each cycle. The flavor is fantastic and lasts even longer! Not quite the terp smack I get from ZX or even Qaroma, but the achievable flavor is far beyond anything I’ve tried in this form factor.
Ditto about the form factor!

@Timps27 what cooling and airflow setup are you using?

techtoker,

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
As luck would have it, my VHB 3d came in a few days ago, so I've been using that with the tempest.

Note, prior to that I was using the wand and didn't run into any issues with a smell or unvenen extraction.

I definitely have been under extracting the bowls. I just significantly lowered the VHB chamber (so it's barely above the base), and got a very dark brown, evenly extracted abv that tasted wonderful.

I think that because I'm used to dialing in a device based off the clicks it is taking me longer to figure out the tempest. And remember, the final version will have a clicker. This is also my first ball vape as well.

Having all of these options isn't a bad thing! It future proofs the tempest in several ways. @Brenyo really has created a powerful device that is currently it's own unique category.
That's cool. Do you happen to know if the VHB 3D 3S (portable version) chamber is equally adjustable?

TigoleBitties,
Top Bottom