The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

RedZep

ok... so first observation... with the quantity I vaped, the Mike Tyson variety lives up to its name quite badly! I'm still standing 😁

More seriously, thank you very much @Brenyo and @phattpiggie
This is a superb vaporizer.
Well done, well done, well done.
I am very demanding and I am really happy with my purchase.

Now...some thoughts...
for context: I've never owned Mad Heater (@Cheebsy 😉) Vaporizers before. I've had a lot of portable vaporizers but for what interests us, I've had a dynavap, I have an anvil or even a Terpedo.

So... I don't fall in love with my vaporizers in general and it takes me a little time to appreciate them.
But I already really like The Tempest. No honeymoon thing with me either. Nor overflowing enthusiasm... I'm too critical for that!

But... The object itself is incredible, really... It lacks wood for me and I'm not necessarily sensitive to the aesthetics or the feeling of the metal heat shield, but I am forced to recognize that this shield is super well thought out, machined and, in a sense, beautiful.

The rotating mouthpiece, the ring and the air path and flow adjustment system, the way everything is well fitted and smooth, the thermal management, the visual indicator... wow... no... waaaaahouuuuu. .. the way to install the additional cooling spiral... what??? I adore...

I think the fact that the threads of the bowls are so thin could cause problems for some users. I think that if they aren't kept pretty clean, it might get stuck a little... but maybe I'm wrong...
in any case, given the thin thickness of the walls of the bowl, it can't be much bigger... you'll understand when you see it... but I love this bowl 😁 and the threads will stay clean!

@Brenyo
(Although it loses its usefulness with the Wand) the visual indicator works well for me as set. And it clicks between the second and third lines. that suits me too. I will try to heat a little further, but just for the test because the current settings allowed me to quickly find my "sweet spot"...

So much for the object itself.
for the rest, my comments are provisional...
Especially with the airflow and air path settings, this vape seems super flexible... I didn't play with these settings this evening. I installed the direct tube and basically stayed in direct open mode with the hole half closed. But I think I'll like the "direct bypass" mode... I turned the ring once to test, it made me want to try again. and besides, it's great to be able to change modes so easily during the session by turning a ring... really well done!

On the taste... I'm really picky. My avb is generally quite clear. I never go near the line and, sometimes, even when staying reasonably far from combustion, I can't stand the almost burnt taste.

I can't say definitively this evening! I'm not disappointed in any case, that's for sure. I'm quite happy to get a darker avb than I usually get, with a taste that suits me until the end.
But other tests will be necessary... and it's so subjective that you will make up your own mind on this point!

As for the high... well, I'm still standing and can return to combat, so... maybe direct bypass will suit me better...?

Regarding the duration of a session... This thing is really cool!! I neither timed nor counted the number of puffs. I was able to take 2-3 big puffs then several small ones afterward. Or more small ones. But I think you could also just take one or two huge drags.
Considering the size of the bowl, I think it’s a very good performance!

ah and... on cooling... I think that Brenyo's reputation in this area is well established... well, it works well, ahah! I plan to use it exclusively natively so it's very important to me...
even though it tickled me a little once or twice... it works well!

I have yet to discover vaping and I haven't mastered it yet so... to be continued!
But I am hopeful that I will find a very, very satisfying ritual!

And, for me, it's also going to be another experience with the Wand... The combo is going to be super practical. that's exciting !

I'll stop there!
thanks again @Brenyo

and as usual... happy vaping everyone! 😁💚

Nicely written. Lovely photos as well. How is your experience with the de-bowler tool?

lluther

@Brenyo Just wanted to checkin and ask, do you think that an updated YLL 2.0 that works with the tempest, would be ready at the tempest launch ?

lluther,

HeadInTheClouds

@garett
@VapingYogi

This can be very frustrating.

It is possible that the next carrier uses another tracking number.

Maybe you can find it on the parcelapp.com site, you have to scroll down and look for "Next tracking numbers" or one of the new references, than you start a new Search on the website.
Eventually you could also use the new tracking number on the new carriers site.

It worked for me, dpd UK is stuck on Friday for me, but with this method I was able to track my parcel with DHL and it's currently in delivery.

Good luck.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
It worked for me, dpd UK is stuck on Friday for me, but with this method I was able to track my parcel with DHL and it's currently in delivery.Good luck.
thanks I saw everyones posts and did the same, no luck, but i'm sure we both just got unlucky and it will turn up in a few days.. or a week :p

VapingYogi,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
@Brenyo
(Although it loses its usefulness with the Wand) the visual indicator works well for me as set. And it clicks between the second and third lines. that suits me too.
Thanks for the initial impressions / review :tup:
You can use the visual indicator in the wand as well if you cut the silicone part a little shorter (about 2 lines) or push the silicone into the wand first so the bottom of the glass is visible with the indicator. Which is actually the opposite of how I recommend it normally because that way you won’t be able to push the glass cup to the top fully as the silicone will bulge a bit in between them (but you don’t want to anyway, it’s too far up)

It will make more sense when you have it in hand :D

ah and... on cooling... I think that Brenyo's reputation in this area is well established... well, it works well, ahah! I plan to use it exclusively natively so it's very important to me...
even though it tickled me a little once or twice... it works well!
The direct tube that you’re using is not for cooling, it’s actually bypassing the cooling system. Try the standard helix tube for native use.

Simply Drop your Tempest in Wand until light turns off(stops blinking)
The light will still stay on for a while before it says “time out”, this is the difference between my 2 recommended settings. 400C if you want a quicker heat up, but you have to keep an eye on it as it will continue heating past the set point. Or set it a bit lower (320C) and wait an extra 15sec without having to worry about going past the ideal temp.

Also if you use the debowler then add +20C in both modes because of the extra mass.

@Brenyo Just wanted to checkin and ask, do you think that an updated YLL 2.0 that works with the tempest, would be ready at the tempest launch ?
It depends on how late the Tempest is :ko: The YLL will need more changes, not just firmware. They’re working on the updates but it’ll likely be somewhat slower than the wand.

What’s the size of the bowl mesh screen?
10.25mm

garett

t is possible that the next carrier uses another tracking number.
Yes i know. The parcelapp website gave me the new tracking number. But it still says „in transit switzerland (not available)“ Austrian post says the same. I hope it will magically appear in the next few days, but i am starting to worry. Usually parcels need 5 days from UK or France. I would feel better if it is stuck in customs instead of „not available“

garett,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Yes i know. The parcelapp website gave me the new tracking number. But it still says „in transit switzerland (not available)“ Austrian post says the same. I hope it will magically appear in the next few days, but i am starting to worry. Usually parcels need 5 days from UK or France. I would feel better if it is stuck in customs instead of „not available“
What he said

VapingYogi,

HeadInTheClouds

So I got an update from DHL...

It seems that I was not at home (I am) and they couldn't deliver the parcel (they didn't even try, there's no DHL truck nowhere) they want to bring it to an post office, but will send me the notification through mail, you know since I wasn't there, they obviously couldn't leave the notification in the mailbox... :doh:

HeadInTheClouds,
  • Angry
Reactions: VapingYogi

fangorn

Thanks for the initial impressions / review :tup:
You can use the visual indicator in the wand as well if you cut the silicone part a little shorter (about 2 lines) or push the silicone into the wand first so the bottom of the glass is visible with the indicator. Which is actually the opposite of how I recommend it normally because that way you won’t be able to push the glass cup to the top fully as the silicone will bulge a bit in between them (but you don’t want to anyway, it’s too far up)

It will make more sense when you have it in hand :D

great, thank you !
I don't know yet what option I'm going to choose, but it's very good to be able to!!

The direct tube that you’re using is not for cooling, it’s actually bypassing the cooling system. Try the standard helix tube for native use.

Yes thanks ! I wanted to explore the warmer and more flavor-oriented option, to know the limitations of that side.
You do well to point that out here!
I forgot to specify, but "I know what I'm doing" by testing this tube first. I'm going to continue with this tube for a few days. then I will test the Helix tube.

and then I will change configuration to explore the other side of this vaporizer... fresher but with a more "diluted" taste.

but I didn't think that this tube "bypassed" totally the cooling system... wow, it makes me want to try the cooling system in this case 😯!

Also if you use the debowler then add +20C in both modes because of the extra mass.

very interesting info!! Thanks !

RedZep

A heads up to people getting their Tempest soon. I've been experimenting a lot with airflow options (including adjustable airflow on tip). In short you have a huge range to select from, and in doing so you can change the experience quite drastically.

I'm now at a combination of settings where I don't bother feathering the carb and I'm getting lovely thick vapour. Feels like one of those vapes we will be learning things about for months.

RedeyeDezign

Accessory Maker
A heads up to people getting their Tempest soon. I've been experimenting a lot with airflow options (including adjustable airflow on tip). In short you have a huge range to select from, and in doing so you can change the experience quite drastically.

I'm now at a combination of settings where I don't bother feathering the carb and I'm getting lovely thick vapour. Feels like one of those vapes we will be learning things about for months.
Care to share those settings?

RedZep

Care to share those settings?
So I have it set to %Bypass" with the Helix tube. This means the vapour is traveling up the primary cooling spiral, without being diluted with air. The air coming through the carb hole instead goes straight to the MP. I turned it further to reduce the amount of air doing this. So in effect it's undiluted vapour, with a touch of fresh air also entering lungs.

I have the air slot on the tip fully open as seen in second pic. You can adjust this to any degree. Could have it 67% closed off if you wanted it.

When you consider how the two adjustable airflow sections combine and compound, it leaves the user with full control. Especially since some airflow settings fundamentally change how the device operates. I feel like I'm no where done experimenting with this.

Fromthesticks

So I have it set to %Bypass" with the Helix tube. This means the vapour is traveling up the primary cooling spiral, without being diluted with air. The air coming through the carb hole instead goes straight to the MP. I turned it further to reduce the amount of air doing this. So in effect it's undiluted vapour, with a touch of fresh air also entering lungs.

I have the air slot on the tip fully open as seen in second pic. You can adjust this to any degree. Could have it 67% closed off if you wanted it.

When you consider how the two adjustable airflow sections combine and compound, it leaves the user with full control. Especially since some airflow settings fundamentally change how the device operates. I feel like I'm no where done experimenting with this.

this is pretty much how most people I know operated the revolve gen 2 when putting anything with heat mass through it.

edit: think this amount of airflow was known as alien head due to the slit it created on the 2nd gen.

Fromthesticks,
Reactions: RedZep

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.

ah man, you just make me want it more :)

wait lmao everyone in Australia readies their bowie knife if their express post item isnt at their house in 2 days, ask the americans about usps if you want bad service.
our postal service just keeps changing the rules all the time, express is not express, requires signature is a photo of a box on your doorstep, we just don't know what to expect because every other day they change, like they stopped delivering on thursdays... why? wtf? lol

I feel like I'm no where done experimenting with this.
Well let us know your favourite configs when you figure them out :)

RedZep

this is pretty much how most people I know operated the revolve gen 2 when putting anything with heat mass through it.

edit: think this amount of airflow was known as alien head due to the slit it created on the 2nd gen.
That's really interesting, thanks. I didn't experience the Revolve so this is all new to me.

Next I'm going to keep the dial setting where I is, while changing the airflow on the tip.

HumbleLivings

The light will still stay on for a while before it says “time out”, this is the difference between my 2 recommended settings. 400C if you want a quicker heat up, but you have to keep an eye on it as it will continue heating past the set point. Or set it a bit lower (320C) and wait an extra 15sec without having to worry about going past the ideal temp.

hey I appreciate the correction brenyo, I have noted and revised this on my notes, excited to try this, thanks for all the hard work and always staying active in here ✌️

HumbleLivings,
Reactions: VapingYogi
Top Bottom