The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

RedZep

In the sense that Im not having to inject a 1200c flame into the side of a metal tube for near on a minute to heat balls to then heat roughly the same amount of weed. and couldnt agree more about the reload.
I'm getting 15-20 second torch re-heats. For a full extraction of a 0.15g bowl.

I think I get what your saying, in a Dynavap you heat a thin cap, most of the energy is transferred to the tip, so the energy required to bring the oven to the correct temp is going to be a lot less than the energy required to heat all the balls to the same temperature. So I guess if your goal was to very quickly chain bowls together, I can see your point. I think the key here is how you chain bowls together with the Tempest. As the balls retain the heat for a lot longer than the Titaium / Stainless steal stips in the dynavap, if you take the cap off while hot using something like a leather case or a magnet, you should be able to reload the bowl very quickly and then you just have to heat the balls again to the corrrect temp but they are already at a higher temp, so each subsequent heat up would take less time.

Oh that's exciting.

I look forward to testing that theory, I did find a significant difference between the Taroma 360 and the Freight Train Pro when it comes to hash, so that coloured my opinion a bit
You could try heating lower on the tip with hash to create conduction. I'm happy with the convection hash experience. You may be more of a hash aficionado than me. I probably only get hash in 4-5 times a year.

I've been able to get conduction affects on flower with this technique, and I can confirm it works. I prefer convection though. Especially with how tasty Tempest can be with flower.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
You could try heating lower on the tip with hash to create conduction. I'm happy with the convection hash experience. You may be more of a hash aficionado than me. I probably only get hash in 4-5 times a year.

I've been able to get conduction affects on flower with this technique, and I can confirm it works. I prefer convection though. Especially with how tasty Tempest can be with flower.i appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I expect to mainly use flower, it was more a curiosity, for full melt hash it’s a no brainer, it will be awesome.

RedZep

puts my mind at ease thanks man.
No problem. It's why I love the visual indicator. Apart from being really cool to watch slide up while heating, it's a great way to utilize the residual heat after a bowl. That 50% reduction in heat up time/energy is huge if you like to chain 3+bowls as the efficiency gains multiply. That's why I'm using Tempest as my long session vape also. It's one of many ways it outperformed my expectations. I thought Tempest was going to be an amazing sidekick vape. But it's no sidekick, this thing is Batman.
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I expect to mainly use flower, it was more a curiosity, for full melt hash it’s a no brainer, it will be awesome
No problem. I work from home, and I get notifications from the thread. I love talking about this thing. So ask away.

RedZep

How long it takes for one bowl please
Timed from drawing on device? Or would you like to include loading/heating?

Also I often do big DTL hits. This is much faster than taking multiple small joint puffs. Which would you prefer I timed? I can do both, but I would have to do one later. So do you have a preference?

RedZep,

Fromthesticks

Timed from drawing on device? Or would you like to include loading/heating?

Also I often do big DTL hits. This is much faster than taking multiple small joint puffs. Which would you prefer I timed? I can do both, but I would have to do one later. So do you have a preference?
you run it through a bong yet? I only run DTL find puffing to be infuriating.

Fromthesticks,
Reactions: RedZep

RedZep

you run it through a bong yet? I only run DTL find puffing to be infuriating.
I've ran it through a bong, bubbler, j-hook with direct flow tube. It's nice on J-hook and bubbler. My favourite is massive DTL lungfuls native as the cooling is great. I posted a video doing this on page 25.

I'm enjoying joint puffs enough however that I'm mixing it up in the same session depending on what I fancy.

I do joint puffs when using hash as it's hotter. I don't know if that will change once I have a secondary cooling unit.

You should check out my review on page 24. I don't mind answering questions that I've covered previously at all. But I think the review will have a lot of value to people who have just started looking into the device.

RedZep

How long you get to puff on the bowl from when the click happens or enough heating is done
Ahh sorry I misunderstood you before.

It's hard to measure, as you only know it's still at temp while drawing on it. I just checked back on a video I shot doing relaxed joint puffs. I was getting vapour for 1min 20 seconds. However it was fully extracted. So it stopped producing because the herb was spent.

That's why I keep reiterating that the cycle is more than enough for extraction regardless of DTL or joint style.

I could experiment tonight and keep an eye on visual indicator when it stops producing. Maybe figure it out that way.

VapChap09

Sorry my bad, yeah thats sounding good im just trying to compare to my usual 3 dynavap bowls each heated 3 times with ih

VapChap09,

RedZep

Sorry my bad, yeah thats sounding good im just trying to compare to my usual 3 dynavap bowls each heated 3 times with ih
The 1min 20seconds is refering to how long I was getting vapour from a single bowl.

But that was doing relaxed joint puffs. On page 25 you can see me crush a bowl much faster doing a monster DTL hit.

RedZep,

Beansuppa

I made a video showing my flow when doing extended sessions. IH to torch. Then realised Imgur only allows 1min videos. So I cut it down in to two short vids.

First is IH hit. I fully extract in one single DTL (direct to lung) hit. This shows something I love about this vape, it can deliver big time for cloud chasers. Taste was amazing.

Second vid is what I call freestyle. Heating with torch. Taking short joint style puffs. The video has the beggining and end cut off, so it's not the full heat cycle. It will give an idea of the draw style anyway. You can be more casual than this, as the Tempest holds it's heat so well. You can toke it at the same speed as a joint.

I wanted to give some more reflections also since I've been using it none stop since it came. Someone this week mentioned "honeymoon period" and it got me thinking, and trying to determine how much of my feedback can be contributed to the phenomena. I've experienced loving a vape at first, and some of it fading as negatives come to light more. However i've become quite hard to please lately. I recently bought a Mighty plus after having fond memories of owning one a decade ago. The honeymoon lasted 12 seconds. I used it twice then sold it on ebay.

The honeymoon period on my B0 lasted an hour. It annoyed the hell out of me. Loved the hits, despised the work flow of reloading, pre heating, handling, needing a bong, needing to clean a bong, 10 min pre-heat up. You get the picture. It's an amazing vape and regarded as one of the greatest, but I just don't love it.

So I've been thinking about the variables that make a vape loved past the honeymoon. For me it's hit satisfaction, potency, ease of use, elegance, versatility, ease of reload, ease of cleaning, and the ability to be used casually through the day, or in a prolonged session.

The Tempest nails all of them. I'm past the point of using it constantly for the novelty factor. I'm using it all day because it's my easiest, quickest vape to use. I have it on my pc desk while im working, always pre- loaded (as re-loading is so easy) and when I fancy a bowl just press the IH on. Then I finished work and smashed 3 bowls back to back. I don't think there are many vapes that can smash 0.45g so quickly to be honest.

The hit satisfaction keeps me coming back also. The hits are huge if you fill your lungs. Because you are not powering a large bong like with desktop ball vapes, your full lung power/capacity is free to be filled easily. That huge hit in the video? Didn't make me feel like coughing at all, and it tasted amazing. And being able to switch it up and hit like a joint is just great. So much versatility in airflow, hit style, heat up style. So easy to take with you around the house.

So I don't know how long the honeymoon will last. But I'm pretty sure when it's over the Tempest will be dominating my reach test still.
That second video was awesome. It's one thing hearing you talk about it but actually having a video of it in practice is awesome. A full minute of puffing on that thing with no apparent weakening of the vapor produced goes REALLY far towards showing how powerful this thing is.

December can't come soon enough :drool:

RedZep

That second video was awesome. It's one thing hearing you talk about it but actually having a video of it in practice is awesome. A full minute of puffing on that thing with no apparent weakening of the vapor produced goes REALLY far towards showing how powerful this thing is.

December can't come soon enough :drool:
It was actually producing vapour for another 20 seconds. I had to cut the video short to fit it on Imgur. Imgur only allows max 1 min videos.

mcscruffy

Tempest suits it as if you use a lot, you can do repeated re heats as needed, without even putting in down onto a magnet. So you can have this extended hash blunt experience.
See this is the biggest factor for me. Click discs are great and all, but I plan to chain at least a couple bowls per session and the temp indicator is going to be potentially amazing for my use case, especially in the sense that at any point I can top it up with the wand to keep the temps right where I need them depending on what I'm using be it flower, concentrate, hash, etc.

The Revolve gen 2 is awesome and I expect a similar experience doing hot reloads (cap removed on magnet, load via Reload chamber, cap back on, reheat and hope for no combustion) but time is of the essence for me and often there ends up being a small amount of combustion which I HATE.

You have a stronger stance against combustion from your reviews and additional commentary, so this is something I am very hopeful will translate for me as well!

I'm looking forward to seeing how my unit works for my routine and lifestyle once it's in my hand in the next couple of weeks!

RedZep

See this is the biggest factor for me. Click discs are great and all, but I plan to chain at least a couple bowls per session and the temp indicator is going to be potentially amazing for my use case, especially in the sense that at any point I can top it up with the wand to keep the temps right where I need them depending on what I'm using be it flower, concentrate, hash, etc.

The Revolve gen 2 is awesome and I expect a similar experience doing hot reloads (cap removed on magnet, load via Reload chamber, cap back on, reheat and hope for no combustion) but time is of the essence for me and often there ends up being a small amount of combustion which I HATE.

You have a stronger stance against combustion from your reviews and additional commentary, so this is something I am very hopeful will translate for me as well!

I'm looking forward to seeing how my unit works for my routine and lifestyle once it's in my hand in the next couple of weeks!
Visual indicator is amazing. Mine isn't even the final tuned version. But it's still usable. It's Just in the wrong place on the scale so to speak.

It's an amazing season vape. I sold my B0 and Tempest is handling my extended sessions. I never liked using large bongs so I'm loving the Tempest more than I ever loved B-0.

I've never combusted. I've hit a few RTL bowls though. Potency is off the charts taking it to the edge that way. Because the visual indicator moves smoothly it means you don't overshoot your desired temp.

It should be noted that you can't see the visual indicator while it's in an IH. In the wand it's like that at least. I've been doing an initial heat up with IH followed by torch re heats after reloads. Subsequent heat ups need 50% less time/energy when chaining in a long session.

Last edited:

mcscruffy

It should be noted that you can't see the visual indicator while it's in an IH. In the wand it's like that at least. I've been doing an initial heat up with IH followed by torch re heats after reloads. Subsequent heat ups need 50% less time/energy when changing in a long session.
I thought that might be the case, but when it only takes in the realm of 10 seconds or so to reheat and there is no harm in pulling it out of the wand for a quick check then dropping back in, if needed, I have zero gripes from a theoretical standpoint.

Again, one of those things I'm excited to test out once mine is here!

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
See I can’t stay away 3:33am and I’m back checking RedZep responses… one day I’ll actually sleep.

VapingYogi,
  • Haha
Reactions: RedZep

RedZep

I thought that might be the case, but when it only takes in the realm of 10 seconds or so to reheat and there is no harm in pulling it out of the wand for a quick check then dropping back in, if needed, I have zero gripes from a theoretical standpoint.

Again, one of those things I'm excited to test out once mine is here!
Damn how didn't I think of that. The visual indicator seems to stop moving as soon as you remove the heat source, so it should be easy to get good at that. I'll give it a go later.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
You can kinda see it from below or flip it. Cut the silicone a bit shorter to see it better.

@RedZep, I might have missed this, but what torch are you using with the tempest? I generally prefer an IH, but just curious!

These are the best ones I’ve found. Can heat it up about 10-12 times and it’s very small.

Last edited:
Top Bottom