The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Smknbud

Some of them are leaking unfortunately as soon as I want to make more than a few at once, which is not ideal. I'm working on a way to make them consistently and also considering changing the material to polypropylene.

Have you tried using the 0.2mm nozzle? Better print quality than the 0.4mm nozzle standard even though print time increases significantly and clogging resistance takes a hit. The 0.2mm nozzle also works with PETG. I read up on using PP filament with Bambu Lab printer (I've assumed at this point your using the X1C) and that seems like a pia, initially at least, especially to someone like me that likes to use Bambu Handy app for printing.

Smknbud,
Reactions: Brenyo

Jojofernz

Yeah I’m all for different vape signatures and believe they exist, but 2-3+ bowls out of any of my vapes and I’ve kinda lost being able to tell any difference and I’m just stoned/high as hell haha. I can definitely tell a bigger difference between what strain I’m using than the vape when I’m using back to back.

jbm

Spent a very pleasant day yesterday switching between Lost Oak sour brûlée type 3 and OSCC Deception OG, a really solid GG4 and Dosidos cross. Direct tube, closed airport, wand at 600F till the blinking stops. Unground 18-10mm adapter in the CC Prophet. Flavor is on point, clouds, super terpy.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Idk I personally don't think convection vs conduction are going to give you that much of different highs.
I'm not exactly suggesting its convection vs conduction. On my Screwball at about 500f just convection (no presoaking of the bowl just the quick transfer) I can get that stoney feeling but at lower temps its more ... the normal convection sort of feeling - its hard explaining the feelings but its where its heavily, more sedative, you go quiet - that sort of thing, its either high temps or a good conduction oven usually so I assume there is a way... maybe its the top of the VI range at around 250c ... maybe its heating around the bowl for a period of the time... there has to be a way to get those effects as you can - or I can - with the same flower on the Screwball or TA. I assume its technique and I just haven't figured it out yet.

I stopped experimenting with heating lower after I combusted doing it. I like the pure convection as it's my all all day vape. Not sure how much conduction we will be able to get out of it.
I am not sure you need conduction - it just makes it easier, but I have added conduction with a single flame torch and mixing the heat lower at first and then only at the top, but you have to spin it otherwise the bowl catch

Conduction is known to produce more CBN than convection.
CBN gives the couch lock Stoney feeling.
Conduction OR higher temperatures convection ovens with some level of conduction (screwball), that's what i think I am doing with the boro balls as they get hotter faster, I think I am able to get a higher temperature for long enough to get enough conversion to CBN to get those stoney effects. I just haven't got it repeatable yet.

Yeah I’m all for different vape signatures and believe they exist, but 2-3+ bowls out of any of my vapes and I’ve kinda lost being able to tell any difference and I’m just stoned/high as hell haha. I can definitely tell a bigger difference between what strain I’m using than the vape when I’m using back to back.
I ... use way way too much as a medical patient (>4g a day) and it takes a lot to really feel it I guess, most of my bowls have Rosin and or BHO just to get a decent kick, but I definitely get different affects with he same ovens with different techniques

Maybe try different strains.
same strain, different devices, I get different effects.... 490f in the Screwball - stoney.... in the Tempest is relaxing but just mellow... in the TA its stoney... so I don't think its strain, I think its temperature either in the form of conduction or higher convection temps.... Anvil it was just mellow but I am having heating issues with my bowls and clicks.... Screwball @ 450f - its more like the Tempest - relaxing and mellow... its got to be science.

Last edited:

Jojofernz

Could it be the amount possibly? I don’t know how much screwball holds but I would imagine a decent bit more than the tempest.

I think I understand where you mean with that heavier feel. Other than strain, the way I can achieve this with tempest or other convection vapes with that heady signature, is running a few more bowls in it. Tempest can get me that energetic uppity feel, especially when paired with a strain like Jack Herer. But regardless of strain, if I hit maybe 3 of those half bowls ripping it in a piece, I’ll get to that heavier stoned feeling compared to puffing on one half bowl natively getting me going for the day.
Whereas it can be achieved easier and quicker with a big bowl in my ball vape or a larger quantity in the Terpcicle.

Yes different vapes have different effects, but I believe lots of factors come into play on the high besides just what vape you use. Weed strain and strength, as well as amount being used especially. If I’m hitting my nighttime strains in the morning, I don’t think it will matter much to the vape haha and I will be on my couch snacking or gaming compared to a energetic strain which has me doing chores and cleaning the house or ready for work.

Though I also know personal experiences can vary greatly especially with vapes/weed/high so sometimes hard to try to get a repeat experience based on what someone else does as ymmv.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Could it be the amount possibly? I don’t know how much screwball holds but I would imagine a decent bit more than the tempest
I can get the same effects in the TA though so I don't think its the size of the dose as such

I think I understand where you mean with that heavier feel. Other than strain, the way I can achieve this with tempest or other convection vapes with that heady signature, is running a few more bowls in it. Tempest can get me that energetic uppity feel, especially when paired with a strain like Jack Herer. But regardless of strain, if I hit maybe 3 of those half bowls ripping it in a piece, I’ll get to that heavier stoned feeling compared to puffing on one half bowl natively getting me going for the day.
Yeah I don't get that layering effect as I just way to much, I need almost a dab like extraction to get the stoney effect, the TA can do it so I assume its possible in the Tempest... I just have to figure out how.

Yes different vapes have different effects, but I believe lots of factors come into play on the high besides just what vape you use. Weed strain and strength, as well as amount being used especially. If I’m hitting my nighttime strains in the morning, I don’t think it will matter much to the vape haha and I will be on my couch snacking or gaming compared to a energetic strain which has me doing chores and cleaning the house or ready for work.
same strains all day - Jealousy and Amethyst for the last 4 days - both indicas and both 22-25% - in different devices I can achieve different effects - when you use a lot the method is more important than the strain (imo)

Though I also know personal experiences can vary greatly especially with vapes/weed/high so sometimes hard to try to get a repeat experience based on what someone else does as ymmv.
I do.

I am hoping someone else is a bit of an experience chaser like myself and can help me try and science this shit and make the Tempest hit in that kind of way.

Last edited:

Jojofernz

Well another suggestion I have and enjoyed for pushing the tempest for some heavy hits and clouds is combo with the wand and a torch when heating. I’ll heat in the wand til first notch, then heat with a torch til just about the third. I use 3mm sic balls but biggest difference I find is with airflow over the 2.5mm zirc, slight differences in heat like I gotta stop earlier on my VI but not by much.

I’m also a heavy medical user and trying to offer my suggestions for ya but maybe you need to experiment to your own personal needs and tastes since we all different! I find a strain switch up or chaining a couple more bowls can alter it. Or the technique mentioned above to really push the extraction of a single bowl. But it may do nothing for you.

I also am curious why you would want to change the signature so much? Just to experiment? I enjoy having different vapes for different situations and why I love the tempest for use throughout the day. I can certainly push it to get those nighttime/stonier feels but would rather just rip a double decker in the kettle for that desired effect.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I also am curious why you would want to change the signature so much? Just to experiment?

I’ve found recently that different techniques on the same device has produced vastly different results.

I would like to be able to achieve those effects on the Tempest as it’s not something I’ve been able to do.

It’s mostly experimental, I enjoy the Tempest’s signature as I experience it - but if there are techniques I haven’t figured out yet, that is capable of the effects I’m talking about - I’d love to know the technique.

kokolokokolokon

I’ve found recently that different techniques on the same device has produced vastly different results.

I would like to be able to achieve those effects on the Tempest as it’s not something I’ve been able to do.

It’s mostly experimental, I enjoy the Tempest’s signature as I experience it - but if there are techniques I haven’t figured out yet, that is capable of the effects I’m talking about - I’d love to know the technique.
Did you try to use a triple flame? I get punched using a triple flame till third line in the Vi with 2,5 zirc or the second line with 2,5 glass balls

kokolokokolokon,

SonicBacon

So it happened. I dropped my tip on the ground and it exploded like a grenade! By any chance does anyone know or have suggestions where I could source new pearls in Canada or in the USA. Preferably Canada and type of pearl should I get for maximum flav. Has anyone used rubies ? Thanks super bummed out. Hoping to get this sorted asap!
I have been getting my balls from Soothing Vapours in Canada, I’m not sure what sizes they have available but it’s worth a look

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I bought 100 from China on ebay, but they were not as cheap as one might expect. 2.5mm Zirc were about $15 delivered.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Have you tried using the 0.2mm nozzle? Better print quality than the 0.4mm nozzle standard even though print time increases significantly and clogging resistance takes a hit. The 0.2mm nozzle also works with PETG. I read up on using PP filament with Bambu Lab printer (I've assumed at this point your using the X1C) and that seems like a pia, initially at least, especially to someone like me that likes to use Bambu Handy app for printing.
It’s better to print with a wider nozzle in this case, but using thinner layers. I'm currently printing it with PP; it took some time to get it to stick. I don't think I can print them in batches though, so I'm looking for another, cheaper alternative.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I bought 100 from China on ebay, but they were not as cheap as one might expect. 2.5mm Zirc were about $15 delivered.
Oddly this order describes the balls as both zirconium and silicon nitride. Why would they use these interchangeably? They are not the same. And I wonder how different their heat profiles might be...

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Did you try to use a triple flame? I get punched using a triple flame till third line in the Vi with 2,5 zirc or the second line with 2,5 glass balls
Going to have a bit more of a play, I haven't really tried the Triple flame since I got the working VI / discs.... grabbing it now, thanks for the idea

What I'm saying is twisting the tempest head or changing the mouthpiece isn't going to change your high. Putting it in full bowl and finishing it in 1 heat up might.
I agree the configuration isn't the key to changing the experience, the way you heat it and how you hit it is probably the key to getting the type of extraction I am trying to achieve.

I was collecting balls at one stage and there is some 3mm Zrc's I have a from Vgoodiez (link) $60US there's 2mm, 3mm, 3.5mm (link) on the Stunner site for $35US and there was a Aussie place but I can't find it in my history...

VapingYogi,
Reactions: cybrguy

Axel_420

Going to have a bit more of a play, I haven't really tried the Triple flame since I got the working VI / discs.... grabbing it now, thanks for the idea
To your knowledge are your visual and auditory indicators the final ones, of the version that is to come out?

I also tag @Brenyo for this question. And Brenyo, are there things that you are working on regarding the Tempest that have yet to be finished? Are there any issues or things that you'd like to improve upon from the final version that will be put out, and then we'll see maybe in the next iterations over time?

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
To your knowledge are your visual and auditory indicators the final ones, of the version that is to come out?
The click discs are one of the parts that Brenyo has been trying to get calibrated perfectly. The pair of click discs I have are not the release candidates as there has been at least one iteration of them since I got mine, I remember when Brenyo gave them to me he mentioned that there was a new lot coming with some minor changes but the ones he was giving to me worked. I think the Visual Indicator coil I have is the release candidate, the click discs I have and the coil I have match up - by that I mean the first click is perfectly at the middle mark and the second click is perfectly at the third mark of the visual indicator.

Last edited:

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I’ve been using Tempest with my Inductor a lot recently and one small drawback is that the barrel sleeve will rotate slightly from time to time as you heat on the lighter head; if you like the airflow as open as possible this might cause some hits to be a bit more restricted than you intend.

A funny aside, when @Brenyo suggested to pinch the sleeve a bit to help it friction fit I was all like :doh: damn I really should have had that. Then I tried it and noticed it was still rotating a bit sometimes. So I pinched it harder…and harder again. And then as I was staring at the red hot sleeve from the Inductor I was all like :doh::doh:, pinch it all you want dude, it just going to deform back when you get it real hot. :lol:

A small price to pay for a hot Tempest in about 20 seconds. :D

Brenyo

Manufacturer
are there things that you are working on regarding the Tempest that have yet to be finished? Are there any issues or things that you'd like to improve upon from the final version that will be put out, and then we'll see maybe in the next iterations over time?
All the last parts are being made now, it should be finished in a few weeks.

I'll probably want a VI that's moving a bit quicker near the end and a thicker ball screen depending on more feedback.

A funny aside, when @Brenyo suggested to pinch the sleeve a bit to help it friction fit
You have to pinch it when it's off from the cap :D It shouldn't deform back and stay in place then

shadymilkman

Thats great news, thanks for the update. Do you have any insight on if the mouth piece have a smaller gap to the helix tube?

shadymilkman,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Thank you!

I have always hated the triple torch, I got one as a freebie many moons ago. It was a pain in the ass, trying to use a triple flame with the dinovap I was using at the time, so I shelved it & would have never thought to pick it back up had you not said anything - so thank you.

Using a triple flame torch with the Tempest is my new favorite way to use the Tempest... the heat transfer is quick and efficient, significantly faster than with an induction heater. I wasn't really successful using a Triple torch or any torch on the Tempest without the calibrated VI, but with click discs and a working VI, using a triple flame torch is pretty easy and is the first way I have found to get those really solid "stoney" hits - I wasn't totally sure this was possible to be honest - @Duba there is a way :) .

Configuration:

I had my Tempest set up with the Helix tube, ebony wooden sleeve, almost completely closed airflow on the Tempest's cap and the airport was closed by my fingers.

I played around with both the 3mm Zrcs and the 2.5mm boro over several attempts. I found the 3mm Zrcs worked the best and I got the most "stoney" effect from them, but you have to be aware of the lag between when you remove the heat from the Tempest and when the oven stops heating up.

The Zrcs take longer to stabilize across the oven and therefore the VI & discs can take a few seconds to catch up, if you keep heating with the torch right up until to hit the mark (last VI mark) you have a chance to scorch the bowl or combust. When you remove the flame from the Tempest, it takes ~2-5 seconds for the heat to stop rising and then another ~2-5 seconds before the VI starts to retreat - I wait for the VI to start retreating before I start to draw air through the device.

I tried a bunch of configurations and the above was the best. I tried it with the cap airflow half open (with the 3mm Zrc) so see if that made a difference and it seems to negatively effect the performance, it took 3 heat cycles and I still didn't quite get the effects I was looking for.

When I was using the 2.5mm boro I noticed it heated up much much faster, but the first time I drew air through the device I didn't get the vapour I expected, I have to play around with the boro more, as I found the Zrc's were so much easier to manage I stuck with them until I got the feeling I was chasing.

Method:

I heat the Tempest with the triple flame, past the first click until the VI is getting close to the final mark, but I remove the heat before it gets there, before the second click happens. I let the heat stabilize across all the balls in the oven by waiting a few seconds. The VI continues to rise and the cap clicks a second time & the VI is at the last mark. I watch the VI and as soon as it twitches, as soon as it starts to retreat, you start to hit the Tempest.

How you hit the Tempest seems to be important. The best effects I got was by taking slow, long draws. By slowing the flow of air through the device it seems to allow the herbs to heat up better and you feel the vapour as it starts to build and tickle the back of your throat. I keep going like this until the vapour becomes whispy and / or the VI retreats back below the first mark and then reheat it again with the Triple torch.

However this time, when heating with the torch I am aiming much higher on the cap (at the very top of the oven below the VI) but I do the same thing (however as I haven't allowed it to cool, the click discs haven't reset) I take it again to just before the VI reaches the top, take away the heat, let the oven stabilize and then as soon as the VI twitches in retreat I start to hit it again.

Challenges :

When heating the Tempest with the triple torch, the heat transfer is quick and the VI jump starts. It was at zero as I spun it around and then all of a sudden it jumped up ~2mm to about 1/2 the way to the first mark on the VI.

The same sort of thing happened at the very end, the click from the click disc seemed to cause the VI to jump to the very end, even though there was about a ~1mm or so left from the last mark on the VI, so It can be a little tricky determining when to pull the heat from the oven, as you want to remove the heat before the second click and before the VI reaches the very end to avoid any scorching.

both minor and things and not really issues, just something to compensate for.

Anyway, I am going to go back to playing with the Triple Torch

Last edited:

ljstavy

All the last parts are being made now, it should be finished in a few weeks.

I'll probably want a VI that's moving a bit quicker near the end and a thicker ball screen depending on more feedback.
great to hear about the parts. @Brenyo I bet others would agree about the thicker ball screen and say that's a better idea.

With it being thicker its less likely to pop out of the threads where the screen screws in. I don't have a tempest currently but can totally see when bong users(me) go to use it and the shift from heating in a wand ( cap facing down) then when you go to attach to the bong (cap facing up) you basically rotate the device a whole 180 degrees which can slightly shift the screen because of the tiny space the balls move. especially if there is any current indents in the screen it will eventually make it easier for the screen to pop out when the balls shift.

A thicker ball screen would probably solve that worry and the other users worries of the screen poping out. A more thicker or more rigid screen would definitely help.

Sorry for the essay of a response haha.

ljstavy,
Reactions: dudeguy

Duba

Accessory Maker
Using a triple flame torch with the Tempest is my new favorite way to use the Tempest... the heat transfer is quick and efficient, significantly faster than with an induction heater. I wasn't really successful using a Triple torch or any torch on the Tempest without the calibrated VI, but with click discs and a working VI, using a triple flame torch is pretty easy and is the first way I have found to get those really solid "stoney" hits - I wasn't totally sure this was possible to be honest - @Duba there is a way :) .
I follow the way and I've managed to produce some nice hits with a uniform dark brown avb:love:, which I'm having trouble finding with the Wand, which obviously doesn't suit me too well with the Tempest either (this is already the case with the Anvil, TA and Fusion).
Definitely waiting for the Forge to play with an IH. Thank you for sharing

Top Bottom