Not open for further replies.

Summer

Long Island, NY
. I would have linked to Amazon but

OK to link to Amazon.

@badbee,

No pic probably because OOS after 420 sale:

https://epicvape.com/product/plastic-storage-tubes-3pack/

Maybe @cybrguy,can put a link to the soda whatchamacallit sleeve that he uses & that can be purchased readily off ebay.

@jarr92,

use postimage.com, imgbb.com, tinypic.com or any pic hosting service of your choosing, except imgur.com because it's not working properly on FC anymore -- FC's been banned.

My votes for postimage.org because it's super easy to use.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/how-to-post-pics-using-postimage-org.34584/pics

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-sandbox-make-test-posts-here.

Last edited:
Summer,
Reactions: Goatbass

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Maybe @cybrguy,can put a link to the soda whatchamacallit sleeve that he uses & that can be purchased readily off ebay.
Actually the one I use is a little different. It is a little narrower than the ebay one and then flares out at the cap end to accommodate the joint. I got mine from HerbalAire with accessories in it. They do sell them for a bit more than the ebay ones but they fit the custom XL8R like a glove.
2exocxx.jpg

Summer

Long Island, NY
CG, someone posted here or on the Z thread about buying the soda tubes. But I forgot what their proper name is -- "soda"-WHAT? Anyone??

Summer,

jarr92

Where does one even get the other attachments for the Splinter? Such as the cool-down stem or wpa. Not seeing anywhere listed on retailers for it.

jarr92,

jbm

All the official retailers should have them. I got mine from Vgoodiez.
Yep, I bought the King kooling kit there along with a 19/22 to 14 male male adapter for my custom Z, though is 19/19 actually the correct one?

jbm,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
CG, someone posted here or on the Z thread about buying the soda tubes. But I forgot what their proper name is -- "soda"-WHAT? Anyone??
Soda Bottle Preforms I think...
Yep, I bought the King kooling kit there along with a 19/22 to 14 male male adapter for my custom Z, though is 19/19 actually the correct one?
I also got my custom XL8R from VGOODIEZ. And I believe the Custom Zs are still 19/22 until RBT uses up the glass he has in stock.

Last edited:

Plutonic

I now have both a v1 and v2 (and love them, although the v2 was a pure VAS purchase). Anyway, both of them have some hotspotting right in the center, which I can largely address with slowing down the draw, loose packing, etc., but the v2 is especially inclined to hotspot.

I'm thinking one way to deal with this might be to channel or disturb the airflow in some way. For example, I use the "screen sandwich" method (material placed between a flat internal screen and the top hat screen), and one could imagine a redesigned top hat with a tiny dollop of solid stainless steel or some other inert material right in the middle (maybe a tiny glass bead cemented on? But is there temp-resistant glue one could use?). Or I could create a center indent on the flat internal screen pointing toward the heater so that material couldn't sit in the center at all.

Anyway, just starting to think about this, and wondering if anyone had ideas about how to tweak the airflow or the placement of material in order to avoid a hotspot.

Plutonic,

flammy

I now have both a v1 and v2 (and love them, although the v2 was a pure VAS purchase). Anyway, both of them have some hotspotting right in the center, which I can largely address with slowing down the draw, loose packing, etc., but the v2 is especially inclined to hotspot.

I'm thinking one way to deal with this might be to channel or disturb the airflow in some way. For example, I use the "screen sandwich" method (material placed between a flat internal screen and the top hat screen), and one could imagine a redesigned top hat with a tiny dollop of solid stainless steel or some other inert material right in the middle (maybe a tiny glass bead cemented on? But is there temp-resistant glue one could use?). Or I could create a center indent on the flat internal screen pointing toward the heater so that material couldn't sit in the center at all.

Anyway, just starting to think about this, and wondering if anyone had ideas about how to tweak the airflow or the placement of material in order to avoid a hotspot.

Which stem are you using?

flammy,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
For me the more instructive question would be which mod are you using? I have heard few if any complaints about hot spots from folk using DNA mods. I get none unless I really push it. I DO occasionally get them when using my RX 2/3 but they are manageable.

cybrguy,

flammy

For me the more instructive question would be which mod are you using? I have heard few if any complaints about hot spots from folk using DNA mods. I get none unless I really push it. I DO occasionally get them when using my RX 2/3 but they are manageable.

I asked that Q because in my limited experience, my draw speed made a big difference in performance. When I was using the short stem, it was just too hot for me and I over compensated with draw speed. That led to hot spots. Now using a cooling stem which allows for a more consistent draw at a more reasonable speed and those hot spot issues are gone.

badbee

The Arizer Air Stem Caps fit very well.

https://arizer.com/product/stem-cap-pack/

Thanks Alex3oe, I thought Arizer stems were narrower. I'll have to look into that.

It turns out I do have a tube I forgot about that looks just like the picture @cybrguy posted. It was the container for a glass syringe of distillate I haven't finished yet. Perfect size for the long XL8TR and heavy duty considering it was just the packaging.

One challenge is that the shipping costs more than the items for little stuff like this. I guess I'll have to buy something else to make it worthwhile. :)

Thanks to everyone else who made suggestions, too many to reply to all...

badbee,
Reactions: cybrguy

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thanks Alex3oe, I thought Arizer stems were narrower. I'll have to look into that.

It turns out I do have a tube I forgot about that looks just like the picture @cybrguy posted. It was the container for a glass syringe of distillate I haven't finished yet. Perfect size for the long XL8TR and heavy duty considering it was just the packaging.

One challenge is that the shipping costs more than the items for little stuff like this. I guess I'll have to buy something else to make it worthwhile. :)

Thanks to everyone else who made suggestions, too many to reply to all...

If you can get the red vxl caps they use on new evos they are a perfect fit...

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I asked that Q because in my limited experience, my draw speed made a big difference in performance. When I was using the short stem, it was just too hot for me and I over compensated with draw speed. That led to hot spots. Now using a cooling stem which allows for a more consistent draw at a more reasonable speed and those hot spot issues are gone.
Just to be clear I am not surprised that which stem you use can make a difference in this regard, especially as it relates to draw speed. I'm just suggesting that the biggest factor may be the mod. Certainly not the only factor. Other factors include how heat soaked the load is, temp or wattage or coil settings on your mod, battery status, etc.
That last one is interesting to me as I have found I am much more likely to singe a load if my batteries are nearing depletion. That surprises me a little because the mod should be smoothing that out, but the mods are still mysterious to me.

cybrguy,

flammy

If you can get the red vxl caps they use on new evos they are a perfect fit...

Thank you for that. Mine are in a box getting zero use...thats about to change.

Just to be clear I am not surprised that which stem you use can make a difference in this regard, especially as it relates to draw speed. I'm just suggesting that the biggest factor may be the mod. Certainly not the only factor. Other factors include how heat soaked the load is, temp or wattage or coil settings on your mod, battery status, etc.
That last one is interesting to me as I have found I am much more likely to singe a load if my batteries are nearing depletion. That surprises me a little because the mod should be smoothing that out, but the mods are still mysterious to me.

Makes sense. I'm new to mods too. Trying to help by giving my personal impressions but also trying to make sure I don't spread misinformation (which I hope I haven't done). I only have experience with a DNA mod which is why I didn't think of the mod as a variable but I can see how that would be.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Just out of curiosity are you getting any hot spotting with your DNA mod?

You don't need to answer as I reread your post above where you said you were getting some with the shorter stem. :p

cybrguy,
Reactions: flammy

Plutonic

For me the more instructive question would be which mod are you using?

Good questions! I'm using an xl8r stem and a Paranormal mod. To be fair, it's now pretty rare that I get a hotspot with my v1, but even with xl8r/dna help, it's still pretty easy to get a hotspot with the v2. But you guys are absolutely right: switching from a non-dna mod really helped, as did slowing the draw WAY down.

The real reason I got a v2 is I assumed a ceramic heater was healthier than a mica one, but I really don't know. From a health point of view, is one preferable to the other?

flammy

Good questions! I'm using an xl8r stem and a Paranormal mod. To be fair, it's now pretty rare that I get a hotspot with my v1, but even with xl8r/dna help, it's still pretty easy to get a hotspot with the v2. But you guys are absolutely right: switching from a non-dna mod really helped, as did slowing the draw WAY down.

The real reason I got a v2 is I assumed a ceramic heater was healthier than a mica one, but I really don't know. From a health point of view, is one preferable to the other?

I struggled with this initially but I did my own research and I still use my v1 that has mica. Mica is commonly used in cosmetics and even has full FDA approval to do so while other additives have restrictions. This obviously doesn't mean that you can inhale it but we are talking about a scenario that will most likely only happen under atypical use of the device when you stress it for a long duration. I'm not a cloud chaser as it is but for the aforementioned reason, I never try to max out the power on any of devices.

Additionally, its not as though inhaling ceramic can really be any better. Inhaling particles of any kind is most likely just a bad thing. I really don't know the whole story about the mica vs ceramic in the splinters but IMO, creating two versions only goes to make people anxious about the mica version. Case in point here.

flammy,
Reactions: Plutonic

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I have read that mica powder is bad for your lungs, but the solid chunks of mica used as insulators in these vapes are unlikely to break down in a dangerous way. But I suppose it is not impossible...

Ahhh, @flammy beat me, but I'm with him/her... ↑

Last edited:

Plutonic

Thanks @flammy and @cybrguy. My understanding is that ceramic can also be vitrified, i.e., hardened, making it less likely to degrade at high temps. Maybe @RastaBuddhaTao is using vitrified ceramic?

But I'm in general agreement with you both, that the small amount of GRAS material we're talking about (whether mica or ceramic) is probably undergoing very little decay, so is probably pretty harmless.

Plutonic,

Consolidated 1

Unapproved commercial account.
Hi all. I am new one here (FC) and generally the vape world is strange enough for me... I don't use tabaco for years and i smoke my herb in water pipe or bong.
Early April i got a dynavap M '19 - pre order and received with Karma model, actually two M . I used some friends vaporizers these years without much luck.
Last Wednesday I received my v1 from Vapefiend. And BOOM. ...
I use a TnT wooden stem , my mod : Eleaf istick 100w .locked at 38w.
It's first time after vape a bowl and i don't run to my water pipe.... that says a lot to me.

Last edited:

Plutonic

Re health concerns about heater material, this post from @firewood last year is calming:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/firewood-vaporizer.9306/page-164#post-1307998

The concern with ceramics is overblown anyway. Even vitrified or kiln fired parts can produce hazardous silicates and other particles when they are ground up, but the issue is quantity. People who need to worry are people who are in regular contact with dust clouds that they can breath in - for example people who mine stone, people who grind stone, dirk bikers or anybody riding a vehicle frequently on dirt roads where there is a lot of dust, people who live in desert where there are frequent dust storms, etc. Those people need to use proper protective equipment to be safe. The amount of ceramic dust that can be produced by a vaporizer on the other hand is less than what you would breath in after a slightly windy day at the beach... the beach is nothing but a ton of silicate particles rubbing against each other (sorry a ton is actually a massive under exaggeration). You probably have already breathed in a larger mass of silicate particles in your lifetime than exist in all of the firewood's ceramic parts (and those aren't in particulate form). I wouldn't worry about this, I honestly really don't think there are any concerns with the safety of ceramics in any vapes.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Switched my Splinter V2 from Reuleaux dna250 to this new Sinuous P80 and loving it so far. Temp control is cool, but I don't know wattage just might feel better, a more effective way to get that RBT signature full bodied vapor experience!

IMG-20190427-223917.jpg

Its so portable, ergonomic, and sleek now, a perfect fit. I might like it even better than my Z on the RXG3D... Really great value here, especially from vgoodiez of course! Need to spend more time with it, though I also have a new Milaana2... That's a bacote Ed's stem and standard Jr cooler there as well btw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom