Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

StonerSloth

cui bono?
You forgot the ones that started them all: BULLI and Project, in the DIY sub-forum.

Yeaaaaaaa @Pipes :science:

How many herbal atomizers are in the works now anyways?
  • Splinter
  • DT Gen2
  • Modpod
  • iHeat
edit: In development in the diy sub-forum:
  • @Pipes's Project, & Bulli atomizers
  • @rat949's '510-Compatible' atomizer
Any more?

It seems that the splinter has the best chance of being mass-produced, at least first to market. Besides the dt, which really doesn't seem up to par with the others; maybe a gen3 will come along and change that.

Exciting times for the vaporizer market, modularity!

:popcorn:

The core components of a pure convection 510 vaporizer cost very little and what is really worth paying for is engineering/design. You don't need fancy materials or expensive parts to make a convection vape - you just need a heating element and a bowl. It's the finer details that make a good device.

The evolution of vape mod tech is definitely exciting and awesome - but I am always hesitant to buy any of this shit because it's bound to get better and cheaper so quickly. I have a Joyetech VTC Mini ($30?) and a Cuboid ($40?) and they are perfectly adequate for doing just about anything I need them to do... Maybe I will upgrade to a fancier one in time for my Splinter delivery :cry:

I bought a DC Gen 2 because VAS and I used it twice. Not worth it.

My focus is on the Splinter now!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
You should give the DC2 another go but using a different angle. I didn't test it but I think @PPN liked it? But anyway it's not an on-demand convection unit, rather a nearly on-demand conduction unit.

So I think it would benefit from longer heat up time, slower sipping (and not ripping) and keeping it close to set temperature for longer (like a session vape)

I wholly agree that the Devil is in the detail: you can't just slap a random coil inside a glass or SS tube and call it a day. Getting convection right amounts to an Art.

little maggie

For those who ordered the splinter: do you need to be knowledgeable about mods and that kind of equipment to use the splinter?

little maggie,
Reactions: Summer

AJS

Calm Consistency
For those who ordered the splinter: do you need to be knowledgeable about mods and that kind of equipment to use the splinter?
I ordered. I'm not knowledgeable at all. I imagine I buy one with the suggestion of someone here, screw in the Splinter, set a low wattage using some buttons, and vape. If it's too cool, I'll find some other buttons that move the wattage up. And up. And up. Until I find a place I like.

grokit

well-worn member
It should be easy enough to mimic someone else's success without too much trouble, using the stock firmware of a particular device. It would take a little more effort to download custom firmware onto a device, then copy somebody's settings using the same device & firmware as they are but that's also do-able. That's what these forums are about, is sharing information like this to stay on the edge, ahead of the curve.

:tup:

StonerSloth

cui bono?

Not really - you can use a pretty basic mod with basic settings with this device. I think 50 watts minimum is the only real requirement.

You can go to a local vape shop - you will probably find that the people working there are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic and helpful - but they will have a big mark-up compared to the big online retailers...

TNT_error

Considering it works in wattage mode right out of the box ( I'm on the waiting list unfortunately), any mod that can provide the recommended 34w will do. You don't gotta mess around with tcr like the DV.

This vape looks perfect for all the mods I got laying around @RastaBuddhaTao !

EDIT: directvapor.com has a lot of box mods for cheap plus free shipping :rockon:

grokit

well-worn member
I thought I read that the splinter works pretty well in 'cruise mode' with some mods :hmm:?

grokit,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
No, no, cruise mode is just TC mode with automatic trigger press for a set duration. The guy who said that is just lazy (hehe), and uses it with a low wattage setting and a short duration just as a mean to not have to hold the trigger that long. But you gotta set a wattage that corresponds to your draw speed in order to get only a gentle rising temperature curve.

If TC is not working because the coil resistance doesn't change enough, when using the stock firmware from joyetech/wismec/eleaf (same company more or less) then it will kick out of TC and back into power mode. This has been a bane for me at times with other attys and led to combustion events.

I don't know if FJ disabled this safety in his cruise mode implementation or not. Anyway, real cruise mode only works when the "coil" supports TC. For now we didn't find any mean to have those mesh heaters work in TC, but there's still hope we can find some kind of edge case setting where it appears to kindof work, but I'm not holding my breath.

little maggie

Any thoughts on when ordering will be open for those of us who missed the preorder? Especially given that shipping is supposed to start soon for those of you who did manage to order.

little maggie

I know this doesn't belong here but I think someone here probably knows the answer: what is a zi-log?

little maggie,

TheRobbo

I know this doesn't belong here but I think someone here probably knows the answer: what is a zi-log?
I think RBT provided @Alan with some Zion heater assemblies and you would have the option to choose either Alans heater or RBTs when it is your turn on Alans wait list!
No idea if this is still an option or not, I vaguely remember a Zi-log thread but could also be imagining that :sherlock:

TheRobbo,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I think RBT provided @Alan with some Zion heater assemblies and you would have the option to choose either Alans heater or RBTs when it is your turn on Alans wait list!
No idea if this is still an option or not, I vaguely remember a Zi-log thread but could also be imagining that :sherlock:

Alan's project is his own now (he had Mi heaters not Zi). Not sure if/when we'll see RBT logs, will be well after Splinter for sure either way

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Bought a mod and atomizer for e liquid with a rebuildable coil just to mess around with while waiting for the Splinter and while I was testing my coils I had it set to 200f. Somehow it got switched from tc to wattage mode, and it was set to the default max of 200w instead of degrees. I pressed the button again without realizing and my coils instantly got white hot and MELTED. Scared the shit out of me lol. Just posted this to tell everyone who doesn't really know anything about this stuff (like me) to be careful and pay attention to what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom