The Screwball by Vapvana

purplenurple24

Last time an item arrived at the distribution annex, it was delivered that day!

That being said, guess where my screwball landed early this morning? ;)

No update on the glass though :(
I have new glass coming too. It had the same expected delivery as my SB (Monday), but my glass is out for delivery today while my SB seems to be hanging out in Spokane since very early this morning. Wish it was the other way around 😭

JohnnyTorres

Mine got delivered today! I'm pretty close, so don't anyone else get your hopes up.

First impressions are favorable, indeed. First draw was at 600 by accident, that nearly combusted after a 3 second draw. 500 on the PID toasted, but tasted a little green. So far 520 is killing a half bowl in 2 or 3 4-second hits.

When comparing to my SSV43, it is a definite treat. The vapor is more instantaneous, and the roast is more even. I'm especially liking the half bowl setting, since the SSV wand always seems to hold too much in order to work properly. This also just feels more like a "traditional" bong ritual, just replace the lighter with the SB and you're off to the ball game. The SSV felt like I always needed an extra hand, or maybe just longer fingers, and it surely felt like too big of a leap for anyone trying to make a switch from combustion. The downside to the SB may lay in the comparative lack of thermal mass when compared with the SSV43, but that's up to more rigorous testing :brow::brow:

TedJones

Hey all. Got mine today :rockon:Done a full and half bowl so far so very early impression and I'm pleasantly IMPRESSED! Great looking unit and the extraction is phenomenal. My first go was almost a full bowl, coarse grind, and at 495. About 4 milky pulls with a weaker follow up and was floored ;) Very comparable to a QC-18 experience with how I use that. Came out a bit darker than my preference .. but none of it tasted bad!:
:uhoh:
For the half bow, I dropped the grind to medium, and the temp to 485. Now we're talkin:
The bowl has got stuck in this pass through each time, but the second time it released quicker during cooldown. Maybe the adapter just needs to adapt, lol.
Also, my coil slides just a bit on the heater. Should there be a bit of play on that?

Can't wait to dive deeper with this beauty and for others to do the same ✌️

Vapvana

Manufacturer

Presale Shipping Update​

IMG_9130.jpg

After a crazy few days, I'm excited to announce that all presale orders have officially been shipped :party:

It was a nice surprise to have the international kits land early, so I was able to get them all out today instead of Monday :love:
(unless you're in the UK - then your kit is expected to go out Monday via our partner Rec Vape Supplies)

Early Adopters Bowls & Prizes​

I'm planning on getting all these out this Monday & Tuesday. I will update everyone via email if anything changes.

(if you haven't completed / received an updated invoice from me then please check your inbox/spam or send an email to hi@vapvana.com)

Available Kits​

I've listed the remaining kits available from the first production round - 10 US Kits and 10 Int Kits

Moving forward, orders made before 2pm MST will ship out same day :rockon:

Presale Raffle Winners​

I decided to announce the raffle winners randomly on my instagram live stream the other day, here were the results:

Grand Prize: Vapvana Beta Tester Opportunity

Order #1143 - Christopher L

Runner Up Prize: Screwball Starter Kit​

Order #1111 - Ernesto N

Runner Up Prize: GOBs Glass Rig​

Order #1152 - Francois L

Runner Up Prize: Oblivion Glass Dry Catch​

Order #1070 - Will B

Screwball Quick Start Video​

If you haven't received a video message from me yet, here is the quick start video I recorded the other day:

@Vapvana Just wanted to say Cal, I have enjoyed the info drops, that's probably my favorite part of this thread. I am looking forwards to the your onboarding / knowledge base as the posts about the development of the screwball have been great, so I am curious what tips and tricks your including for new Screwballer's in the onboarding stuff.

Also, coming to this thread to find a way to contact you and find out more about the screwball after finding it difficult. I am impressed with the level of effort you have put in over the last month to really bring the customers into the fold and make them feel part of the Vapvana family by leveraging, as you mentioned, your experience's being on the other side of this sort of transaction, but also the personalization - done in person, was a nice touch.
Thanks for the message! :love:

One of the main things I've learned throughout this process is how difficult it can be bringing an idea to life.

I give a ton of credit, and have a lot of respect, for all the other makers in this community who take on both the production and business operations :bowdown:

Although there have been some bumps in the road, I take each experience as a learning opportunity to get better. I'm hoping to get all the operations up and running over the next couple of months :rockon:

Now that is a beautiful piece, just what I'm looking for. Just checked out the price. Think i'll keep looking lol
The plan is to offer an basic bubbler in the $80-$100 range soon.

After the starter kit is up and running, I will start working on the bubbler plus other accessories.

Delivered this afternoon, but I’m not going to be able to unpack and play probably until tomorrow afternoon, sadly. I’ve got the Sky Lunar Bubbler and the CC Vertex ready for testing.
Looking forward to seeing some action shots!

Feedback Responses​

Thanks for taking the time to post feedback already! :love::clap:

It was a weird feeling just now as I saw the notifications come in for new posts... and saw it was feedback before I could finish writing this post :rofl:

Mine got delivered today! I'm pretty close, so don't anyone else get your hopes up.

First impressions are favorable, indeed. First draw was at 600 by accident, that nearly combusted after a 3 second draw. 500 on the PID toasted, but tasted a little green. So far 520 is killing a half bowl in 2 or 3 4-second hits.

When comparing to my SSV43, it is a definite treat. The vapor is more instantaneous, and the roast is more even. I'm especially liking the half bowl setting, since the SSV wand always seems to hold too much in order to work properly. This also just feels more like a "traditional" bong ritual, just replace the lighter with the SB and you're off to the ball game. The SSV felt like I always needed an extra hand, or maybe just longer fingers, and it surely felt like too big of a leap for anyone trying to make a switch from combustion. The downside to the SB may lay in the comparative lack of thermal mass when compared with the SSV43, but that's up to more rigorous testing :brow::brow:
Glad you didn't combust at 600f! :freak:

IMO, anything over 550f has a chance of combustion depending on how you use the device.

I've tried my best to provide enough info to get started - the downside to that is I'd also like some people to fail a little... for science of course :science:

What I've realized is a lot of people have different preferences than myself, and it's been great to see how people fine tune the Screwball to reach their desired experience.

If you run into any issues please let me know so we can work through them ASAP :rockon:

Also, my coil slides just a bit on the heater. Should there be a bit of play on that?

Can't wait to dive deeper with this beauty and for others to do the same ✌️
Thanks for the quick & detailed first impression! :clap:

The coil should fit snug on the housing, and when may need to be pressed down a little to screw the top cap on fully (please do this while the unit is off and cooled down - takes about 30 mins)

Either way - please send me a message with your order number so I can follow up with you via email. I will make sure everything is correct / taken care of for you :tup:

Next Update​

I'm working on getting all the presale orders onboarded and caught up on shipping updated bowls & prizes.

I'd also like to gather everyones feedback to see if any changes are needed before the next round of production.

If anyone has any questions or needs help then please send an email to hi@vapvana.com

Talk soon,
Cal

Kiwi Vapor

Wow, so jealous! But excited at the same time. Got my tracking number yesterday :brow:

Not sure if you have a logo for the Screwball yet Cal but I made these...

Going to try get it printed onto a handle somehow...

I think I like the 2nd one.

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Wow, so jealous! But excited at the same time. Got my tracking number yesterday :brow:

Not sure if you have a logo for the Screwball yet Cal but I made these...

Going to try get it printed onto a handle somehow...

I think I like the 2nd one.
Awesome mate, I dig it...

Initially I preferred the second but the underline reminds me of a cable; like the cable between the PID and the housing; which changed my mind as I couldn't unsee it - so I prefer the first except, I like the positioning of the gem in the second (not that my opinion matters)

Kiwi Vapor

Awesome mate, I dig it...

Initially I preferred the second but the underline reminds me of a cable; like the cable between the PID and the housing; which changed my mind as I couldn't unsee it - so I prefer the first except, I like the positioning of the gem in the second (not that my opinion matters)
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with the positioning of the gem in the first logo... Cheers bro. (Have edited Original post).

80Sixed

Mine arrived on my porch an hour ago. Unpacked, realized I only have 14 mm in house, ran out got an adapter, let it burn off, and then proceeded to melt my face off at 475. While thoroughly enjoyable, decided to turn it down to 460 for bowl two round 1. Once more had quite the delicious but also cloudy af experience, albeit with a couple of extra hits before I called it cooked. Testing will continue, but I’m nice at the moment! A nice fat bong seems like an inevitable purchase in my future.

JohnnyTorres

I've tried my best to provide enough info to get started - the downside to that is I'd also like some people to fail a little... for science of course :science:
Oh, the 600f setting was not for lack of information, let me assure you! It truly was a FAFO moment because I didn't feel like my unit was getting hot enough after burn off. I didn't notice a smell, and the heat radiating from the unit did not feel as warm as I felt it should be. I left it at 600 to see if it would vaporize, a definitive go/no-go test.

With that test and others, I believe I have been sent a faulty PID, and I want to hear about others' experience. Let me explain...

According to my AMES infrared thermometer, the coil does not get above 390f when the PID is set to 530. Jack the PID up to 700f and the coil is at 510f. I have read there is an offset that is previously known of about 50-75 degrees, but this is a 140-190 degree difference. Baseline temps recorded on this thermometer were accurate (Cold wall was 68 and boiling water was 210 at 6000ft) so I trust this reading when paired with use experience.

Any test at or below 500f has a very "green"flavor, and takes many SLOW draws to toast a bowl, while never getting good thick vapor. I have tried 475-485 as others have suggested, and I get next to nothing. 520-530 gets me a medium dark roast after 2 slower hits, almost the roast I want, using the medium-fine grind plate from Flower Mill. I put about .2-.25 in the half bowl making sure to tamp it down over the whole screen. Faster draws at this temp yield thinner vapor but more hits before it's spent. Now at 550 on the PID, I am reading 411 at the head and pushing pyrolization (but not combustion) with 2 short, slow draws.

Does anyone have any evidence to corroborate or correct me? I feel like I should be getting better results at the lower temps, especially with a slower draw and a finer grind, but that 550 combustion point seems pretty close to the mark. I do have one finer grind plate for my Flower mill, and I need to pick up an adapter to try different glass, each of those could throw a new variable into the mix.

zer0k00l

Mine arrived today! I think USPS is working OT closer to Christmas? I did a 30 minute burn off at 555, then went down to 485 and packed one full scoop into the bowl. I plan on keeping the full bowl position. Took two good rips followed by a wispy third, and the bowl was evenly roasted. I stirred once during that first bowl. Then I went up to 488 (cus it’s nicer for my weird brain) and packed the bowl full. Took three HUGE rips and got super toasty from that one. No stirring and the bowl was perfectly roasted. Excellent results so far!

coolbreeze

I feel like I should be getting better results at the lower temps
It seems like you should. I haven't tried the new bowl so maybe the half-bowl is a variable, but I've had great sessions at low temps with various pipes. Maybe it's the restriction or lack on your pipe? I've had some wildly different experience with regards to that factor between even similar vapes. But I would probably suspect the coil or box first, too.

Does the coil fit well?

JohnnyTorres

Does the coil fit well?
The coil to housing fit is tight, with very minimal gem movement, either. The housing to bowl fit has me concerned as a possible culprit. When gripping the head on top of the bowl there is a gap all around. I know Cal mentioned getting an airtight seal without seizing, maybe my tolerances were on the loose side of that.

As for glass, I am using a 14" flower tube with a 6 slit- open bottom diffuser. It is a bit chuggy, but I have used it for my SSV for a while now. I agree, a new piece might be the ticket, and I will be putting in an order for an adapter today so I can try some others.

coolbreeze

The coil to housing fit is tight, with very minimal gem movement, either. The housing to bowl fit has me concerned as a possible culprit. When gripping the head on top of the bowl there is a gap all around. I know Cal mentioned getting an airtight seal without seizing, maybe my tolerances were on the loose side of that.

As for glass, I am using a 14" flower tube with a 6 slit- open bottom diffuser. It is a bit chuggy, but I have used it for my SSV for a while now. I agree, a new piece might be the ticket, and I will be putting in an order for an adapter today so I can try some others.
I'd check with Cal, maybe he has some thoughts on how to shake out the problem. I have the OG bowl with a similar fit but my experience is that even at low temps the gap's not an issue, though it helps to hold it tight.

Just checked: I can turn my coil slightly in one direction, it binds in the other. Can you check--when it's COOL--to see if the cap is tight? That can affect fitment.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,
Reactions: Vapvana

JohnnyTorres

Just checked: I can turn my coil slightly in one direction, it binds in the other. Can you check--when it's COOL--to see if the cap is tight? That can affect fitment

While cool, I can spin the housing in one direction with a good amount of friction, the other direction binds on the coil as well. The cap was tight, still hearing the same gem shifting that I was hearing before. Not a tumbling shifting, but a slight shake.

I love tinkering, so this is more of a fun experiment than a setback to me, but I could see it being an issue for production units.

I'll send Cal an email with these details, and I'll keep the thread posted with any revelations in case anyone else has a similar experience.

Top Bottom