The Screwball by Vapvana

Kiwi Vapor

Have you checked out Thick Ass Glass? I've ordered nothing but their factory seconds and I have yet to be disappointed. They do the adapters and downstems as well, if you want to just change a current piece, and they ship from Colorado so the wait time is reasonable.
Cheers man, will check them out. Problem is I'm in New Zealand so hopefully they ship my way :) Thank you.

BlazeyMcBlazeFace

I want nugs not hugs

Shipping Update​

Happy December y'all! :rockon:

The tracking number I've received has updated, and the first round of 110v kits are expected to land this Wednesday the 6th :love:

US & Canada Orders (110v)​

If all goes as planned, I will have your orders shipped out the same day they land (Wednesday), or the next day the very latest (Thursday).

International Orders (220v)​

These are in the second half of the order, and I'm still waiting for them to be shipped to me. I'm hoping to have them within 1 week of receiving the 110v kits.

Once I receive a tracking number, I will update all orders via email.

International Bonus​

Because there is a minor delay to the international kits, I am working on adding in a gift to all orders. :luv:

IMO, it feels like international ENThusiasts always get the short end of the stick.... And although this is slightly out of my control, I'm doing my best to provide similar experiences no matter where you order from.

Deluxe Stand​

I agree that the deluxe stand should have some type of heatshield / guard. A sturdier base would be nice too

Thanks for your input!

One of the problems with an earlier prototype was how hot the stand got because it acted as a 'heat sink'.

As of now, the idea in my head is a mix of wood + metal to provide a nice sturdy, yet elegant solution.

Glass For Dry Herb Vaping​

If we are viewing our vaping experience as a complete 'ecosystem', then the glass is another variable that plays a role in the overall equation/experience.

For example, I have over 10 different dab rigs that have 10mm joints. Depending on the rigs airflow, certain quartz bangers won't work well with them.

I think the airflow and percs used are the biggest factors for glass, and combustion tubes/rigs are designed to have airflow compatible with combustion.

Custom Glass for the SB​

My goal with custom glass for the SB is to give our 'seal of approval' for the rigs/designs we offer.

In other words, I want customers to know that each rig has been tested with the Screwball and was designed to enhance your overall experience.

IMO, it sucks when you order a new glass piece and it doesn't end up working well with your complete setup.

Low Temp Video​

This was from a few posts back, but highlights an all convection hit at 420f

Consistent Cannabis Vaping​

Whether I'm vaping concentrates or flower, the goal is to find my preferred consumption method and make it as repeatable as possible.

I wanted the SB to provide consistent results AND be effortless (aka easy to use). Rather than use a lighter, just put the heater on the bowl and inhale.

The funny thing to me is that throughout all my testing I used the Screwball for mainly convection and never did a preheat. It wasn't until it was featured on Troy & Jerry and I saw them preheat that I realized other people will use the device differently to reach their desired outcome.

IMO, conduction is bad for taste with DHVs because it isn't an efficient heating method, so it leads to easily overcooking your herb on the perimeter. It will also have you leave the 'flavor zone' cooking by preheating your herb.

Quartz bangers work via conduction, so in order to preserve the flavor you need to keep the temp low enough to not overcook your oil.

100 Hit Montage​

Over the past couple of days I sent out over 100 personalized messages with a thank you hit from the SB. Here's a timelapse of the ~4 seshes it took to get through it all :freak:

Thanks again for everyones early support! :rockon:

Bowl vs Herb Preheating​

IMO, I think there are two ways to use preheating:

Bowl Preheating​

Because the bowl absorbs heat from the airpath, if we are able to preheat the bowl walls to the same temperature of the convection air then in theory, more heat should transfer into the herb rather than the wall.

IMO, this is why using a glass bowl with an injector can cause the 'green ring of doom' -> because the glass walls aren't getting hot enough to vape the herb around the edge.

IMG_8974.jpg

Bowl + Herb Preheat​

When you preheat the bowl and the herb, you are changing the starting point of the herbs internal temp before introducing the convection air stream.

If you change the starting herb temp, it will allow the convection herb to bring the herb temp to a hotter final temp.

sb-preheat-powercurve-graph.png

IMO, the benefit of preheating the herb allows you to lower your convection air temp. By lowering the air temp, it should reduce the heat/temp of the vapor going into your lungs.

IMO, preheating the bowl could be beneficial if it's your first hit of the sesh, and your bowl is still room temp.

If you're doing multiple hits/bowls in a sesh, after the first hit the bowl will reach temp pretty quick. I wouldn't recommended preheating the bowl before putting the herb in with the Screwball because it doesn't seem necessary.

If you want to preheat your bowl with the SB, I'd recommend putting the housing on the bowl (with herb in it) for 2-10 seconds. This shouldn't bring the herb temp up too much (depending on your PID temp)

conduction-test-results.png

Well said! :clap:

If conduction is always going to be an element, the question is how can we use it to our advantage instead of disadvantage?

At the end of the day, we all have our desired roast color/end temp and a preference on how to go there -> one hit extraction vs sesh style.

SB_Convector_Power_Curve.png

IMO, I prefer the flavor and medicinal effects of keeping my convection air temp as low as possible. I designed the Screwball to maximize all the variables in our control to keep the air temp down, which meant using conduction to assist in certain situations.

Can conduction lead to overcooking and bad flavor? definitely, but I think it can also be avoided by understanding each device works and what elements are in play to reach our desired outcome :rockon:

Omg that time lapse video is a moment for the history ebooks of the future! 🤣 hahahahahahaha you look so wrecked at moments & look like you want to give up! BUT YOU DIDNT! 🙌🏻🥳🤣 fucken dead set legendary!

Vapvana

Manufacturer

Presale Shipping Update​

It has been truly a surreal experience seeing people excited about shipping. It seems like the other day I was on your end, waiting to receive the next product to scratch my VAS itch. :luv:

I'm beyond grateful for the opportunity to serve this community, and thank you all for being a part of this journey :bowdown::clap:

US Orders​

All domestic orders have officially shipped! It seems like theres a mix of tracker numbers showing for Saturday and Monday :rockon:

Expect another video message from me tomorrow going over your onboarding instructions :D

Limited Kit Drop​

I put up 10 US kits on the website that are ready to ship out. These will most likely be the last kits available until next round of production is done.

Orders before 2pm MST will be shipped out same day :rockon:

International Orders​

Orders to Canada go out tomorrow!

Tracking on the international kits (220v) is showing for Monday, and I shouldn't have any issues getting out the orders same day. I will send an update if anything changes.

FC Presale Orders​

Thanks to all the FC members who filled out the presale form!

@Casualt @80Sixed @Oden @whatscooking @Alex3oe @VASked_Avenger! @jasp3r @mekkles_au @BadDuckChuck @add1noob @Huethevision @unlessFudlic @Kaptan

You all should have received a draft invoice from me, unless I saw you already purchased directly from the site during the presale.

If you filled out the form and didn't complete a purchase, but would still like a starter kit from this round, please send me an email to hi@vapvana.com and I'll get you taken care of :tup:

14mm SB Bowl​

Thanks Cal for all the updates. Looking at getting another glass piece but all the really good ones, at good price, have a 14mm joint. Are there plans to have a 14 mm bowl? Also, sorry if this sounds silly, (I'm new to Ball Vapes, never used one before), but what is "Half Bowl Setting"? Do you sit the screen higher in the bowl?
One of the most requested things has been a 14mm bowl.

I'd like to test a version with a hybrid joint (18mm to 14mm) and one with a dedicated 14mm joint. After testing is completed, one of the options will be offered.

The half bowl setting is similar to the dynavap - you can set the screen at the bottom of the bowl for a 'full size' or there are slits half way up the bowl to set it higher - giving it a 'half bowl setting'

Omg that time lapse video is a moment for the history ebooks of the future! 🤣 hahahahahahaha you look so wrecked at moments & look like you want to give up! BUT YOU DIDNT! 🙌🏻🥳🤣 fucken dead set legendary!
It was a fun challenge! Even though I think it destroyed my tolerance :freak:

(worth - would do it the same all over again :rofl:)
Texas myself. Here's the bubbler I got to go with it :)

It's the sky glass lunar with full silver fuming
Beautiful piece!

It seems like the updated bowls should work directly into that recessed joint - but please let me know if that isn't the case.

Either way, looking forward to some rip shots out of it! :science:

Pretty jealous but also excited for you US folks here as I doubt the international kits will reach Australia before Christmas but fingers crossed.
I know it sucks being an international customer and ordering from the states :(

I've got a little gift I'm including in all international orders. Thanks again to everyones patience overseas! :luv:
is this thing the same wiring as the DC controller? I want to give my dad my DC controller and z8 when this comes in but want to make sure I can use my zx on the controller that comes with the SB. it's currently on my DC.
They are compatible!

Only thing to note is that theres a temperature offset with the DC PID. So you'd have to increase the temp on our supplied PID by ~75f to be the same as the DC PID.

For example: DC PID = 500f would be equivalent to ~575f on our supplied PID

Next Update​

I'm working on getting the unboxing / onboarding materials done for the presale orders. Hopefully I'll get a video uploaded here before kits arrive on Saturday.

If you have any questions or need anything please send an email to hi@vapvana.com

Otherwise I'm looking forward to the next wave of Screwballers joining the club :)

Cheers,
Cal

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
@Slimjob Dopamine I feel your pain, I have a package from Canada sent on the 11/November that is sitting in the Sydney Depot having gone through customs last week.... anything hitting the international postal system at the moment isn't going to reach Aussies until Next Year.

@Vapvana Just wanted to say Cal, I have enjoyed the info drops, that's probably my favorite part of this thread. I am looking forwards to the your onboarding / knowledge base as the posts about the development of the screwball have been great, so I am curious what tips and tricks your including for new Screwballer's in the onboarding stuff.

Also, coming to this thread to find a way to contact you and find out more about the screwball after finding it difficult. I am impressed with the level of effort you have put in over the last month to really bring the customers into the fold and make them feel part of the Vapvana family by leveraging, as you mentioned, your experience's being on the other side of this sort of transaction, but also the personalization - done in person, was a nice touch.

Top Bottom