The Screwball by Vapvana

coolbreeze

Can I ask the Screwball owners who bought their unit. What did you get as a free gift? Think it was a grinder, a pass through, a dyna stem or a bubbler if in the US that the buyers were to receive if buying the early adopters pack.
Another question. Does your bowl always get stuck? I've tried various bubblers and a pile of carbed pass through adaptors and it sticks every bowl I do. Only asking as it said in the promo posts it doesn't stick and am wondering if I am doing something wrong.
Another thing, anyone know retail release date yet as that's when I've to get my Dyna tip and stem that I won. It was agreed between myself and Cal in DMs that he would send the prize when I purchased the unit and he gave me free shipping as he would have been shipping the Dyna anyway. Now I've to get it when the retail revisions are sent out.
Still love the Screwball, just been thinking.
Mine has stuck a few times. Fortunately, since it's 18mm, I am unable to fit it into my good dropdowns so I have to use a cheapy. I wonder if it can be made a two-piece with an o-ringed gg joint?

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
Mine has stuck too every time I tried removing directly after finishing the bowl.
But doesn’t matter for me, I‘m to lazy after vaping to clean the bowl anyway. Always cleaning before the new filling.

I think it‘s DDaveMod who recommends using some beeswax on a bowl to prevent sticking, but never tried.

2pumpchump

Thats really good to know as i have never tried this style of vape. It is definitely by quite a measure the best vape I have used.

The cannabis hardware output of devices make me think of Apple. Throw in lots of style over function and charge a fortune for it.

Im going to look at BCG right now. Scissors are nostalgic but a pain in thearse.

Edit.
There is a 15 % Sale sitewide on grindersforlife if anyone wants a BCG
idk if GRAV LAB GLASS shipping price shipping to you but i think they have a 20 % sale
to the answer if i have received my FREE PRIZE. i will have to re read what was said. but as far as i know the grand PRIZE FOR THE NAMEING CONTEST WAS AN EARLY ADOPTERS KIT . and a chance in the pot for the tester gig .witch was offered to every one that BOUTHT A KIT OR SINGHED UP ON THEIR WEBSIGHT . so as i did not buy mine i do not expect the extra swag cal is offering with those who did !!!!!!!!!
i did see 2 more contest winners for the screwball last week so that means cal is geting closer for retail soon i think !!! and have been told their will be some changes to the BOWL ......now that said mine sticks 2 out of 3 times#1 if i use a pass trough i dont have RTM or 19(18mm) to 14 mm adapter WILE I HAVE A ORING TO KEEP IT TOGETHER . #2 if i pre heat the bowl in a 19 mm joint for a wile ..... then its stuck till cooldown !!! #3 but if the bowl is heated first dose not get stuck .... i only have 1 18/19 peace i run it in raw dog so it normal sets in a grav 19 to 14 ........i have left it their for over a hr at 450 and not pop on me YET

i have a feeling based on info i was given about some parts changes of the retail kit VS early adopters cal might be waiting for the chance to ship new parts with prize that was wone ????? not sure

Raskolnikov

idk if GRAV LAB GLASS shipping price shipping to you but i think they have a 20 % sale
to the answer if i have received my FREE PRIZE. i will have to re read what was said. but as far as i know the grand PRIZE FOR THE NAMEING CONTEST WAS AN EARLY ADOPTERS KIT . and a chance in the pot for the tester gig .witch was offered to every one that BOUTHT A KIT OR SINGHED UP ON THEIR WEBSIGHT . so as i did not buy mine i do not expect the extra swag cal is offering with those who did !!!!!!!!!
i did see 2 more contest winners for the screwball last week so that means cal is geting closer for retail soon i think !!! and have been told their will be some changes to the BOWL ......now that said mine sticks 2 out of 3 times#1 if i use a pass trough i dont have RTM or 19(18mm) to 14 mm adapter WILE I HAVE A ORING TO KEEP IT TOGETHER . #2 if i pre heat the bowl in a 19 mm joint for a wile ..... then its stuck till cooldown !!! #3 but if the bowl is heated first dose not get stuck .... i only have 1 18/19 peace i run it in raw dog so it normal sets in a grav 19 to 14 ........i have left it their for over a hr at 450 and not pop on me YET

i have a feeling based on info i was given about some parts changes of the retail kit VS early adopters cal might be waiting for the chance to ship new parts with prize that was wone ????? not sure
Yeah that’s what he said, will be shipped with the revisions. Just wondering what people got as their extra for buying the early adopters kit.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Y'all. Is this gonna be like CH where I can just buy a unit or will this one be a PITA to get ahold of? I really want one

Zuhdj,
Reactions: Vapvana

Zillacon

🤠🤠🤠🤠
I had no idea there were any extras given with the early-adopters. The kit came with an extra coil (cal said they weren't to spec at 150w and not to the core 8 height). Otherwise I am a happy early-adopters that received everything I knew I was getting with the steal of $200 kit.

2pumpchump

Yeah that’s what he said, will be shipped with the revisions. Just wondering what people got as their extra for buying the early adopters kit.
thanks for confirming !!!! my current situation i have ben out of touch with every one for the last week now...
but my packet included 1 early adopter kit.. 1 baseball pendant (my # is #1.. ) 1 pack big league chewing gum 1 antiballvape club poster/card 1 thankyou letter 1 extra out of speck 150watt coil ... i beleave that was it .

Raskolnikov

thanks for confirming !!!! my current situation i have ben out of touch with every one for the last week now...
but my packet included 1 early adopter kit.. 1 baseball pendant (my # is #1.. ) 1 pack big league chewing gum 1 antiballvape club poster/card 1 thankyou letter 1 extra out of speck 150watt coil ... i beleave that was it .
Same here. I’m jealous that you have number 1 but it’s only right as you named the monster.
Still loving my Screwball, I know that there probably will be but I find it hard to believe that there are better devices. My first experience with this type of vape and I am loving it so much. Can’t wait to see what Cals next device will be.

Raskolnikov,

2pumpchump

I'm completely stoked to get one in my room
https://vapvana.com/
have you entered for the grand opening giveaway ?
Same here. I’m jealous that you have number 1 but it’s only right as you named the monster.
Still loving my Screwball, I know that there probably will be but I find it hard to believe that there are better devices. My first experience with this type of vape and I am loving it so much. Can’t wait to see what Cals next device will be.
don't be jelly im a bigger screwball than you .:mental: .... i noticed you quote F1 cars ..... a side joke for you.
do you know the problem with every race car ?????
THEY PUT A LOOSE NUT BEHIND THE STEARING WHEAL.... LOL
ok i know how bad that was pleas dont ban me

2pumpchump,

2pumpchump

I did not enter because it seemed like they were going to announce my real name on a stream if I won. There were other de-anonymizing questions but I can't remember now.
i can completely understand i am some ware it dose not take 2 hrs to load a page on a website tonight i will look at it myself ??? as i understand prizes are PR stunts Cal understands privacy as well ..... witch now has me wondering dose everyone hear know my real name ??????

edit
OK SO ON THE WEBSIGHT !!!!!! question #2 your ask for your email !!! IT CLEARLY SAYS WINER WILL BE NOTEAFIDE BY EMAIL ....
so i think cal will work with people and a user name on hear or other SM platform like i said he understands privacy as well
NOTE IF YOU WONE SOMETHING ON (FC) EMAIL HIM IF YOU HAVE NOT BE CONTACTED !!!!! his respect for privacy may be that reason lol

Last edited:
2pumpchump,

2pumpchump

@Raskolnikov another reason i tell all FC members to check is their is a reason i have not got the rest of my prize is because i have not gave @Vapvana a answer !!!!!!!
as @GoldenBud said its about $$$ but the question how greed
BUT IF CAL IS WILLING TO TAKE A CHANCE ON ME I WILL TAKE ONE ON HIM ..
that's all i can say till i talk to cal and re read FC rules ...

GoldenBud

@Raskolnikov another reason i tell all FC members to check is their is a reason i have not got the rest of my prize is because i have not gave @Vapvana a answer !!!!!!!
as @GoldenBud said its about $$$ but the question how greed
BUT IF CAL IS WILLING TO TAKE A CHANCE ON ME I WILL TAKE ONE ON HIM ..
that's all i can say till i talk to cal and re read FC rules ...
Yeah there are a lot of ball vapes already that look the same or almost the same.... Boring

Waiting for something new like ball vape that can be attached to 2 coils (much longer and heavier head than regular ball vapes nowadays)

2pumpchump

Yeah there are a lot of ball vapes already that look the same or almost the same.... Boring

Waiting for something new like ball vape that can be attached to 2 coils (much longer and heavier head than regular ball vapes nowadays)
why only 2 coils ?

2pumpchump,

Vapvana

Manufacturer
Hey Y'all!

Thanks for everyones patience with my lack of updates / communication. I am the process of transitioning to working on this business full time, and will be more active on here moving forward.

Y'all I want oneeeee!!! How many weeks till us normies can get our hands on one would you say?
I'll make a post once I have a more definitive timeline, I'm currently waiting for an updated bowl prototype to be made and sent for my approval.

The goal is to get the early adopters changes to the bowl approved then move into production. After production starts there will be a presale for the Screwball Starter Kit.

I'm also working on ideas for a deluxe kit and other accessories, that will come soon after the Starter Kit.

I have my screen wedged up so high in the bowl, roughly 2mm from the top rim . I can barely squeeze 1/2 a scoop in at the moe. I much prefer it this way 2 quick blasts @460 and the bowl is done . On with a freshy if I like .
The new bowl design addresses this and has a cutout halfway up the bowl.

I've went through loads of variations and find filling the bowl level then tamping down a little works best for me.Between 450 and 460.
This is also my preferred method.

Rather than a tamp I use the back of the SQP to level off the top and it naturally pushes / tamps down the herb.
I find myself using a scoop and a half to two scoops and filling it to the brim. Otherwise the temps need to be cranked up with smaller bowls. As others have stated you’re better off loading it up and “sipping” than trying to make microdose bowls. I would love to see a more shallow bowl option in the future and I believe Cal may be working towards making that happen.
For smaller loads (1 SQP or less) it seems like doing a preheat helps with the vapor production. I personally prefer a full bowl, but have been doing more testing with less amounts to see how the experience varies.

A half bowl insert like the infinity bowl from OWW would be the fire.
0.2g closest to the diffuser will allow greater efficiency to finish the bowl in one draw.
But I also don't see the point of making a micro-dosing bowl for the Screwball.
From my testing having the herb closer to the diffuser does help with efficiency. The new bowl should address most of the concerns listed so far.

If the screwball had 2-3 grooves for the screen to sit in it would at least give the option of having different sized loads without Sacrificing efficiency. On top of this, the airflow from the wider vapes and bowls is easier on my throat and lungs, despite my desire for smaller bowls
We are on the same page! Going to post the new bowl mockup in the next post :tup:

What is the deal with this one? What does it aim to do differently?

I saw Thinkdank video on it. They were very impressed. They mentioned the designer wanted the device to perform optimally with low temp extraction? Does it achieve this? How does it achieve this?

Is the thin bowl thin on purpose? To what end?
@coolbreeze did a great job summarizing my thoughts! Not sure I could have said it better myself :D
It does achieve this. I think he's created a good airflow with the head being sort of wide and shallow with a perforated cap and bottom screen. The gem chamber is deep enough and the gems create enough surface for the air to heat sufficiently, Together they allow a lot of hot air flow the very close distance to the wide shallow herb bed (relatively speaking). The diffuser style mating ensures evenness and no green ring; the thin metal is to allow conduction. My understanding is it works best fully loaded, heated up through conduction, and then pulled as needed with no stirring. Higher temps will make it effectively a one hitter, as Cal's videos have shown, but it really shines (for me) down around 400-440f. Flavor stays good for awhile and the roast is perfectly even with no stirring over 6 or more big hits.

I think he intends conduction as part of the process. The coil even extends about halfway down the bowl when mated. Some folks like the flavor, some folks like the stoney quality it adds to the roast. I have not really tried it this way since I'm trying to extend the flavor of the herbs over several hits rather than few stoney lungbusters, but I think that's the idea.

It works really well and the use/flavor/effects are all great and it's priced well. I'd definitely recommend it especially to those who are looking for a big hit, though it does really nicely in session mode, too.

One thing worth mentioning, use an adapter or dropdown, the bowl may stick sometimes.
Next post will address the issue with the bowl sticking.

I find that my B0 works pretty well at low temps. At 430F on the DC pid I can get a few good lighter hits before I crank it up to 550-600F and finish off the load. The Screwball appears to be an interesting concept, but would it make a difference big enough to justify a potential purchase?
Its worth noting that the DC pid has a temperature offset of ~70f. So when users mention going 420f on the provided Crossing PID, it'd be similar to using the DC at 350f

I've been testing the draw using my b1 and SB, both diffuser.
on open rigs very little difference, both very open.
I then tried a much tighter downstem and there was a noticeable difference with the SB more restrictive and milking much faster. It was a very pleasant surprise.
To me the SB draw is impacted by the rig being used and I really like that.
So the SB can be really open or more restrictive depending on the set up. More variation and fun imo.
This is what I've noticed too - which is why I've been working with some glass artists to make rigs designed specifically for the SB .

Can I ask the Screwball owners who bought their unit. What did you get as a free gift? Think it was a grinder, a pass through, a dyna stem or a bubbler if in the US that the buyers were to receive if buying the early adopters pack.
I ended up including free gifts that weren't listed on the bullet points. US orders received a 2nd quality coil and International orders received a 2nd quality scoop.

If any of the early adopters would like one of the other gifts please send me a message. I will include it in your updated parts package.

I also didn't send out prizes with the international orders to minimize the chances of there being an issue with customs. The prizes / extras will be going out with the updated parts (please send me a message if you'd like it sent out sooner).

My bowl sticks every time.
I won't use without an adapter.
I'll address this in the next post :rockon:

Vapvana

Manufacturer

Screwball Starter Kit Update​

Hey y'all! Here is my current plans for the SB Starter Kit.

Goals​

• Turn the Early Adopters Kit into the SB Starter Kit
    • Make basic changes to the bowl based off of early adopters feedback

• Focus on making the Starter Kit available ASAP
    • The kits will go on presale once the changes have been finalized and production starts.
    • Kits will be available on our site and recommended vape supples to start.
    • The Presale price will be discounted from the retail price (final pricing still TBD)
    • The goal is to ship kits 4-6 weeks after starting the presale

• Work on the more advanced accessories for the Deluxe Kit
    • Better lid, stand, glass bowl, mesh screens, etc
    • Collaborations with glass and wood artists

Bowl Changes​

Based off of the early adopters feedback here are the current changes being tested / implemented:
  • Update the handle threading to 10-24 to be compatible with CH Shovelhead handles.
  • Increase the joint length to work better with recessed / dewar joints.
  • Add a second cutout + ledge halfway up the bowl.
new-sb-bowl-mockup.png

(current prototype mockup)

Bowl Sticking Issues​

Some notes about the bowl:
  • IMO, there is a difference between the bowl sticking vs ceasing to the glass joint.
    • IMO, due to the nature of the design (conduction heating), it may not be possible to prevent the joint from sticking 100% of the time.
    • The bowl should be difficult to remove with one hand, but not impossible when using two hands (the older versions would completely cease together and wouldn't come undone until it cooled)

• The bowl is designed to be kept in the glass joint until you need to empty it.
    • I don't recommend lifting it up to clear your rig.

• The thickness of your glass joints makes a difference
    • Thinner walled joints are more prone to ceasing
    • The tolerances of glass joints can vary

• How long you heat the bowl makes a difference
    • The hotter you heat the bowl the more the metal expands increasing the chances of it ceasing
    • What temperature you have on the PID makes a difference

• I remove the bowl by doing a quarter turn and a lift:
    remove-hot-screwbowl-gif.gif

Deluxe Kit & Accessories​

Here is a little teaser for some accessories that are in the works (I will make a separate thread for vapvana glass collaborations soon)

Glass Bowl by SCC​

Rig Prototypes by GOBs Glass​

I currently have these in hand and are testing them:
IMG-8148.jpg

New Lid Design​

This is a new lid design I had that I'd be curious to get everyone's feedback on.
Screen_Shot_2023-08-20_at_5.28.41_PM.png

It may be hard to tell from just looks, but here are some of the main differences of the SB vs other coil based vapes:

• The SB uses a 25mm coil instead of a 20mm coil
    • This is over a 50% increase in surface area
      IMG-7374.jpg
  • The SB uses 2.5mm gem cut rubies instead of 3mm balls
    • It holds ~750 2.5mm gem cut rubies (or ~230 3mm balls for volume comparison)
      IMG-8329.jpg
  • The SB uses true hybrid heating
    • This allows for more efficient heating and lower operating temperatures

• The SB + Bowl is custom designed / machined to work together.
    • I went through ~9 iterations of the bowl to create a more refined experience.
      bowl-lid-prototypes.jpg
  • The SB has a 100 day guarantee and lifetime warranty
    • If you don't like your SB for any reason you can return it for a 100% refund within 100 days, no questions asked.
    • After 100 days, all items in the kit are covered by our lifetime warranty.

Vapvana Team & Stakeholders​

For those that don't know, my name is Cal and I'm the founder and 100% owner of Vapvana.
IMG-8330.jpg

(I'm on the right - picture from when I met my Manufacturer this past May and we took a trip to Stanford University)

I've been working on Vapvana since ~December 2021, and have invested all my savings, thousands of hours, and several pounds of cannabis for testing, in order to bring my dream business / vape to life.

Although I've been approached by investors, I have zero intentions of bringing in outside money. My vision is to have Vapvana as a platform for community members to grow together - without the influence of making decisions purely on profits.

It has been one hell of a journey, with more challenges coming up than expected. I've done my best to work through the obstacles behind the scenes, so once I was happy with the product, it would be worth your time, attention, and $.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve this community, and appreciate everyone's patience and understanding as I transition to working on this project full time (and being able to pay myself haha).

Thanks again for everyone who has contributed so far, I have a lot of exciting things in the works for y'all. :rockon:

Cheers,
Cal

coolbreeze

Screwball Starter Kit Update​

Hey y'all! Here is my current plans for the SB Starter Kit.

Goals​

• Turn the Early Adopters Kit into the SB Starter Kit
    • Make basic changes to the bowl based off of early adopters feedback
  • Focus on making the Starter Kit available ASAP
    • The kits will go on presale once the changes have been finalized and production starts.
    • Kits will be available on our site and recommended vape supples to start.
    • The Presale price will be discounted from the retail price (final pricing still TBD)
    • The goal is to ship kits 4-6 weeks after starting the presale
  • Work on the more advanced accessories for the Deluxe Kit
    • Better lid, stand, glass bowl, mesh screens, etc
    • Collaborations with glass and wood artists

Bowl Changes​

Based off of the early adopters feedback here are the current changes being tested / implemented:
  • Update the handle threading to 10-24 to be compatible with CH Shovelhead handles.
  • Increase the joint length to work better with recessed / dewar joints.
  • Add a second cutout + ledge halfway up the bowl.
new-sb-bowl-mockup.png

(current prototype mockup)

Bowl Sticking Issues​

Some notes about the bowl:
  • IMO, there is a difference between the bowl sticking vs ceasing to the glass joint.
    • IMO, due to the nature of the design (conduction heating), it may not be possible to prevent the joint from sticking 100% of the time.
    • The bowl should be difficult to remove with one hand, but not impossible when using two hands (the older versions would completely cease together and wouldn't come undone until it cooled)
  • The bowl is designed to be kept in the glass joint until you need to empty it.
    • I don't recommend lifting it up to clear your rig.
  • The thickness of your glass joints makes a difference
    • Thinner walled joints are more prone to ceasing
    • The tolerances of glass joints can vary
  • How long you heat the bowl makes a difference
    • The hotter you heat the bowl the more the metal expands increasing the chances of it ceasing
    • What temperature you have on the PID makes a difference
  • I remove the bowl by doing a quarter turn and a lift:
    remove-hot-screwbowl-gif.gif

Deluxe Kit & Accessories​

Here is a little teaser for some accessories that are in the works (I will make a separate thread for vapvana glass collaborations soon)

Glass Bowl by SCC​

Rig Prototypes by GOBs Glass​

I currently have these in hand and are testing them:
IMG-8148.jpg

New Lid Design​

This is a new lid design I had that I'd be curious to get everyone's feedback on.
Screen_Shot_2023-08-20_at_5.28.41_PM.png

It may be hard to tell from just looks, but here are some of the main differences of the SB vs other coil based vapes:

• The SB uses a 25mm coil instead of a 20mm coil
    • This is over a 50% increase in surface area
      IMG-7374.jpg
  • The SB uses 2.5mm gem cut rubies instead of 3mm balls
    • It holds ~750 2.5mm gem cut rubies (or ~230 3mm balls for volume comparison)
      IMG-8329.jpg
  • The SB uses true hybrid heating
    • This allows for more efficient heating and lower operating temperatures
  • The SB + Bowl is custom designed / machined to work together.
    • I went through ~9 iterations of the bowl to create a more refined experience.
      bowl-lid-prototypes.jpg
  • The SB has a 100 day guarantee and lifetime warranty
    • If you don't like your SB for any reason you can return it for a 100% refund within 100 days, no questions asked.
    • After 100 days, all items in the kit are covered by our lifetime warranty.

Vapvana Team & Stakeholders​

For those that don't know, my name is Cal and I'm the founder and 100% owner of Vapvana.
IMG-8330.jpg

(I'm on the right - picture from when I met my Manufacturer this past May and we took a trip to Stanford University)

I've been working on Vapvana since ~December 2021, and have invested all my savings, thousands of hours, and several pounds of cannabis for testing, in order to bring my dream business / vape to life.

Although I've been approached by investors, I have zero intentions of bringing in outside money. My vision is to have Vapvana as a platform for community members to grow together - without the influence of making decisions purely on profits.

It has been one hell of a journey, with more challenges coming up than expected. I've done my best to work through the obstacles behind the scenes, so once I was happy with the product, it would be worth your time, attention, and $.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve this community, and appreciate everyone's patience and understanding as I transition to working on this project full time (and being able to pay myself haha).

Thanks again for everyone who has contributed so far, I have a lot of exciting things in the works for y'all. :rockon:

Cheers,
Cal
Bowl updates look great. I can't wait to try the smaller fill. Is the new cap design any more restrictive? The openness is really one of the great things about this vape, imho. Appreciate your responsiveness to the feedback. The Screwball is a ton of fun.

Vapvana

Manufacturer
Is the new cap design any more restrictive? The openness is really one of the great things about this vape, imho.
Good question! The cap is only in the idea stage, and I haven’t received any prototypes yet.

The goal is to keep the airflow the same as the current version while moving the hole intakes to the side.

My assumption is by having the flat top it will retain the heat better and make it slightly more efficient.

It also clears up space for logos / designs to be put on top.

If all goes well with testing then the new lid would be added into the deluxe kit :rockon:

Top Bottom