The REAL "How To Search the Forums"

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
I don't know for you guys, but it's very frustrating to use this site's search engine. It only shows the Topics as results, not the actual posts so it is pretty much useless...

So here's how to find exactly what you are looking for, using the power of Google.

1) Go to Google.com
2) Enter the following string in the search box: [search criteria] site:www.fuckcombustion.com

For example, if I want to search all the posts about the BC-700 battery charger, I would enter this in Google's search box:
'bc-700 site:www.fuckcombustion.com' (without quotes) and get the following results.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
:peace:

Vaporisateur,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Thanks for the info, might be nice once a mod moves it to the proper spot on the forum... maybe even sticky it up top. cheers, nice tip.

IAmKrazy2,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Great idea, Vaporisateur. That does give better results.

Thanks!

Stu,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Vaporisateur said:
I don't know for you guys, but it's very frustrating to use this site's search engine. It only shows the Topics as results, not the actual posts so it is pretty much useless...

So here's how to find exactly what you are looking for, using the power of Google.

1) Go to Google.com
2) Enter the following string in the search box: [search criteria] site:www.fuckcombustion.com

For example, if I want to search all the posts about the BC-700 battery charger, I would enter this in Google's search box:
'bc-700 site:www.fuckcombustion.com' (without quotes) and get the following results.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Wong section...

But in the thread at the top of this section, about how to search, it says the following

vtac said:
Show results as controls how the results are displayed; as topic titles or individual posts.

Purpl3_Haz3,

Vaporisateur

Senior Marijuanist
I stand corrected about displaying Posts instead of Threads! :uhoh:

However, I still think that Google's advanced search allows for a more precise search on this board. It also gives you a short description of the post in the search results list, I like that.

Please move to the appropriate section, sorry for posting this in the wrong forum!

Vaporisateur,

crawdad

floatin
yeah, the drop down "Show results as" is useful when you know the topic that is going to get hit a lot has 50 or more pages in it. and welcome.

crawdad,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I see so many folks have trouble searching here but that changing results to posts instead of topics really is key!

The google search idea is good too ;) Thanks!

Lo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
This topic comes up ever month or two because the darn default is "Topics" not "Posts". I don't know if it's possible but it would be really helpful if that were changed.

I've posted the Google tip before, and there is another tip that's been around for a while:

smartfast said:
If you want to search this thread (or any thread) for all occurrences of a term .. do this:
1) Use the Firefox Browser
2) Download the "repagination" add-on for firefox from here (the link is "my hack")
3) log into Fuckcombustion, go to the first page of this thread, right click the page "2" link and choose Re-paginate > All
4) Go grab a beer or make yourself some tea. Come back in 4 minutes and the ENTIRE thread will be loaded into your browser. Simply scroll down to read the whole thing.
5) Bonus and main point of doing this: You can use the browsers find function (ctrl + F) to find all the occurrence of a term in this thread. VERY helpful for doing research
another edit: it makes the waiting faster if you edit your forum preferences and allow the maximum amount of posts per page, 75

pakalolo,

momatik

On the left site of Google where "everything" is highlighted, select more and click "Discussions" if you want to search mostly message boards in general.

Maybe we could encourage members who have made useful posts in large threads to include links to them in their signatures?

momatik,
Top Bottom