The Oldest Juveniles in the State of California

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Let's talk Grateful Dead! And also talk about any of the variations of the bands and solo projects that evolved from one of the greatest touring groups of all time.

Share stories, post videos and pictures, and ENJOY!

Any of yall going to the Meetup at the Movies TONIGHT (5/11), a remastered airing of Sullivan Stadium, Foxboro MA, 7/2/1989?

I'm going to my local theater.... should be quite the extravaganza!

...but I'm kinda shocked at the lack of promotion, not much fanfare raving about this one.

FlyingLow,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I grew up in the SF Bay Area in the Sixties, but I lived 50 miles away from the city. My first show I think was New Year's Eve, 1970, Winterland. The line was a party before the concert. It's so long ago, that I don't know if my memories are true or a mere amalgam of the many times I saw them. I remember a band called Stoneground played, and whoever was playing when we got in was singing "Okie from Wiskogie" (probably New Riders of the Purple Sage). A young, beautiful woman danced topless next to me, and suddenly all the spotlights were beaming down from every direction on us. Winterland had a huge mirror-ball, and when all the lights hit it, it was as if swarms of light-critters were swirling along the walls and ceilings. Very stony. The Dead were great - the song, "Cumberland Blues" was stuck in my head while we searched for the car afterwards. The concert ended around 3 am.

Last edited:
Top Bottom