The Nova FX by Ardent

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
That graph is not correct. (according to ardent website).
Even if it was correct, no-one here decarboxylates in an n-hexane solution, I guess.

I contacted ardent for a general question via their website these days and got a quick and detailed reply.

I do not like cooked edibles because of the hangover I feel after. I suppose it is CBN related.
Tincture with mostly THC-a seems to be fine for me. But maybe I am missing part of the effects.
I wonder if I could make THC edibles without the hangover with the ardent.

shredder

I wonder if you can really convert to CBN without using higher temperatures. I've seen lab results for liquid live resin which is fully decarbed for vape pens, and they were decarbing for a few days at like 170F. And the guy had the lab results to show decarboxylation without losing terpenes.

Maybe you could use UV light to force the oxidation, instead of temperature. I believe some parts of Afghanistan dry and cure until the next season before sifting into hash. And Afghani (real) hashish is often further decarbed when heated and "pulled" during production. And some still cure the hash itself for considerable time in that state before consuming. That might be the trifecta of time + heat + light to get the most sedative stone.

Ive read before that with heat it takes about 300F for 15 minutes or at normal temps for longer than normal. I haven't tried heating to 300F yet myself. If possible id like to make it in my nova fx.

When I did the double decarb I most likely did make cbn's but I was disappointed with the lack of buzz. Cbn is not psychoactive though, I probably should not have expected a buzz.

Maybe I need to do a two step procedure. Make cbn's then infuse with thc.

shredder

Even if it was correct, no-one here decarboxylates in an n-hexane solution, I guess.

I contacted ardent for a general question via their website these days and got a quick and detailed reply.

I do not like cooked edibles because of the hangover I feel after. I suppose it is CBN related.
Tincture with mostly THC-a seems to be fine for me. But maybe I am missing part of the effects.
I wonder if I could make THC edibles without the hangover with the ardent.

I'm kinda used to the thc hangover, it's like a buy one, get one free deal, lol. A little coffee and I'm good to go though, except for an extreme example.

When my tolerance gets out of whack, or if I wake up high and it doesn't go away for a while (I call it perma stoned) I just take a little break.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Maybe you just don't like 11-hydroxy-THC from edibles.
Proper sublingual tinctures avoid the first pass metabolism and are absorbed as familiar delta9.
Thanks alot for mentioning! I somehow forgot about this, but this is a very very valid point!
I think I'll have to conduct some tests sublingual vs. eaten.

I also really wonder how THC-a gets metabolized in our bodies. Since THC-a is an available and known product nowadays, there should be some data. But I did not yet stumble over it.

I'm kinda used to the thc hangover, it's like a buy one, get one free deal, lol. A little coffee and I'm good to go though, except for an extreme example.

When my tolerance gets out of whack, or if I wake up high and it doesn't go away for a while (I call it perma stoned) I just take a little break.
now with what @invertedisdead said it could very well be that I get more hungover from the 11-hydroxy-THC than from the "normal" delta9-THC.

I think I will explore sublinguals and sprays a bit more seriously.
(Now I use them mostly as backup when I am out of "inhalables")

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I think I will explore sublinguals and sprays a bit more seriously.

That's funny, I'm experimenting with those right now!
Quite liking the idea of a quick tincture dose before a vape session to stretch the effects out, I feel like I am vaping less since I started playing around with them. I want to try the spray bottle because I feel like that would disperse the mix better atomizing through the mister, than just dropping from the vial, and maybe increase absorption - but that's just a theory.

Kind of curious about VG tinctures due to the taste. I've tried ethanol and MCT tinctures so far, they both have pros and cons to me.
The one I have going right now is half raw concentrate dissolved from cleaning out a dab jar, and the other half melted from my banger, in an alcohol solution. I feel like the banger reclaim tincture is almost a no brainer cause the condensate is strong and clean, essentially distillate. Kinda regretting not thinking of starting some of these years ago instead of washing it down the drain... The condensed oil is a million times better than AVB. Can literally just melt it out of the banger and into a little vial of MCT oil, or whatever medium of choice. I read that concentrate is tricky to dissolve into VG though, so not sure about glycerite extracts and infusions.

I still think some of the best and fastest acting sublingual effects I ever had were from a concentrated alcohol tincture, blotted onto sour gummies, just like the ones you mentioned in a recent thread on here.

shredder

Quite liking the idea of a quick tincture dose before a vape session to stretch the effects out, I feel like I am vaping less since I started playing around with them. I want to try the spray bottle because I feel like that would disperse the mix better atomizing through the mister, than just dropping from the vial, and maybe increase absorption - but that's just a theory.

Kind of curious about VG tinctures due to the taste. I've tried ethanol and MCT tinctures so far, they both have pros and cons to me.
The one I have going right now is half raw concentrate dissolved from cleaning out a dab jar, and the other half melted from my banger, in an alcohol solution. I feel like the banger reclaim tincture is almost a no brainer cause the condensate is strong and clean, essentially distillate. Kinda regretting not thinking of starting some of these years ago instead of washing it down the drain... The condensed oil is a million times better than AVB. Can literally just melt it out of the banger and into a little vial of MCT oil, or whatever medium of choice. I read that concentrate is tricky to dissolve into VG though, so not sure about glycerite extracts and infusions.

I still think some of the best and fastest acting sublingual effects I ever had were from a concentrated alcohol tincture, blotted onto sour gummies, just like the ones you mentioned in a recent thread on here.

I prefer the mct oil infusion over an alcohol tincture. It's easier to get the oil in my state for one.

I mix my winterized rso with liquid lecithin, a few drops of sweet orange oil (for the limonene) in an organic mct oil.

Both MCT (made from coconut oil) and coconut oil do not have to be digested first so they go straight to the liver and the effects come quicker. Although no quicker than alcohol under the tongue but easier to take imo.

My quickest though is mct oil, rso, and liquid lecithin mixed in tapioca maltodextrin.

The tapioca maltodextrin is a light powdery carbohydrate. Mixed and then pushed through a collander it becomes a thicker powder that can be used by itself or in a drink or shake or something.

Between the mct oil and the carbs the effects come almost as fast as vaping.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark

I saw a plant medicine where they use 20% VG (infused with the plant), 15% ethanol (probably shouldn't be lower due to stability reasons), and water. They spray it in the mouth.
I agree with your theory that more mucosa surface reached results in better and faster uptake.
So I tried to roughly replicate this but inverse, as I had some ethanol tincture around.
The tincture was prepared with 80% ethanol, so this stuff burns on the mucosa and should be diluted for consumption.

I went with ⅓ tincture, ⅓ VG, ⅓ Water. This gives a sweet, very consumable spray.

This is what I would do with concentrates, to get them in the VG: Dilute them in a little alcohol and then mix it with the VG.

I am happy I can profit of @shredder 's expertise and experience:
I prefer the mct oil infusion over an alcohol tincture. It's easier to get the oil in my state for one.

I mix my winterized rso with liquid lecithin, a few drops of sweet orange oil (for the limonene) in an organic mct oil.

Both MCT (made from coconut oil) and coconut oil do not have to be digested first so they go straight to the liver and the effects come quicker. Although no quicker than alcohol under the tongue but easier to take imo.

My quickest though is mct oil, rso, and liquid lecithin mixed in tapioca maltodextrin.

The tapioca maltodextrin is a light powdery carbohydrate. Mixed and then pushed through a collander it becomes a thicker powder that can be used by itself or in a drink or shake or something.

Between the mct oil and the carbs the effects come almost as fast as vaping.
Love this recipe.
So you get a sweet powder you can add to food, drinks or make capsules or something?
The sweet orange oil you use, is this essential oil?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I saw a plant medicine where they use 20% VG (infused with the plant), 15% ethanol (probably shouldn't be lower due to stability reasons), and water. They spray it in the mouth.
I agree with your theory that more mucosa surface reached results in better and faster uptake.
So I tried to roughly replicate this but inverse, as I had some ethanol tincture around.
The tincture was prepared with 80% ethanol, so this stuff burns on the mucosa and should be diluted for consumption.

I went with ⅓ tincture, ⅓ VG, ⅓ Water. This gives a sweet, very consumable spray.

This is what I would do with concentrates, to get them in the VG: Dilute them in a little alcohol and then mix it with the VG.

Love this recipe.
So you get a sweet powder you can add to food, drinks or make capsules or something?

That sounds great, are you finding it strong enough when diluted like that? I like the idea of being able to take a few sprays spread out over a small length of time, because I feel like absorption is lower with a dropper, and most of it just gets swallowed. At that point I’d rather take capsules if I’m not really getting sublingual effects. I definitely want to try a spray version, seems like it would be more enjoyable to dose.

I have some lemon peel in my tincture to grab the essential oils from it. But we can only get 151 proof here, so I think it’s taking some of the solubility away from my concentrate and now its falling out of solution. Using essential oils that have already been extracted probably doesn’t affect the solubility in the same way.

invertedisdead,

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
That sounds great, are you finding it strong enough when diluted like that? I like the idea of being able to take a few sprays spread out over a small length of time, because I feel like absorption is lower with a dropper, and most of it just gets swallowed. At that point I’d rather take capsules if I’m not really getting sublingual effects. I definitely want to try a spray version, seems like it would be more enjoyable to dose.

I have some lemon peel in my tincture to grab the essential oils from it. But we can only get 151 proof here, so I think it’s taking some of the solubility away from my concentrate and now its falling out of solution. Using essential oils that have already been extracted probably doesn’t affect the solubility in the same way.
The one I made, I could not feel much, honestly. But I was using droppers full of that tincture already, without feeling much besides needing to vape less and most likely some pain reduction.
But I let someone try and she said, she could feel 5 drops of the tincture and she could also feel a couple of sprays.
I think if your tincture works for you with a couple drops, the spray should be an option.
It is perfect for microdosers though and beginner patients. (edit: At leat with the probably weak tincture I made it with)
And the taste when made with nice rosin is good enough to make a dessert of.
The higher the proof the more soluble are the cannabinoids, but you knew that.
Not sure the lemon peel affects the solubility negatively, but it could. You could try with dried lemon peel maybe?
Added limonene should rather increase the solubility in my thinking, no?

Edit: I just have some stronger tincture in preparation I could try with too
I wish I could replicate the inhaled experience with the spray somehow.
Maybe I'd have to dive into substances that help the mucosa to uptake the cannabinoids.

Last edited:

west-elec

Got my flex yesterday, complete edibles noob.
It took longer than I expected, probably because I filled her up.
It wasn't finished when I went to bed, so I left it overnight. So it soaked a good 6 hours after the infusion cycle, using MCT coconut oil. Strained this morning and it is very dark.
Is this normal? Is it ok to leave steep overnight or have I made a mess of it?

west-elec,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

Love this recipe.
It's a powder but not terribly sweet. It mixes great in coffee, but in some cold liquids after a few minutes it starts to separate. So it's better in something thicker like a shake or gravy. My preferred way to use it is by the teaspoon. There isn't much taste initially but there is a little after taste from the weed. By itself it literally melts in your mouth.

It wasn't finished when I went to bed, so I left it overnight. So it soaked a good 6 hours after the infusion cycle, using MCT coconut oil. Strained this morning and it is very dark.

It shuts off automatically, so no problems. On the infuse cycle it does go an exceptionally long time, but you can stop it by pressing the on/off button for a few seconds. I'm not sure of an ideal time to infuse. I mostly use concentrates, so it's just warm and stir until it's mixed well.

The color will darken as it decarbs. Hash and herb both darken, No biggy though. Your oil should be fine. Let us know how it turned out.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Mechanically separating the THCA from rosin and decarbing that for tincture use might give faster uptake from the isolated compound, thats basically Sativex.
I am not sure I grasp your reasoning, do you think separated and decarbed THC tincture might give faster uptake than rosin tincture? So like some terps hindering the uptake?

edit:
I'll have to lookup sativex it contains also CBD...
They use CO2 extraction for the THC and the CBD part. PEG: Propyleneglycol, peppermint oil, it contains 42-44% ethanol, it says.

Btw 151 proof is around 75% or so, so not far from my 80% I used

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I am not sure I grasp your reasoning, do you think separated and decarbed THC tincture might give faster uptake than rosin tincture? So like some terps hindering the uptake?

edit:
I'll have to lookup sativex it contains also CBD...
They use CO2 extraction for the THC and the CBD part. PEG: Propyleneglycol, peppermint oil, it contains 42-44% ethanol, it says.

Btw 151 proof is around 75% or so, so not far from my 80% I used

Yeah, I'm assuming the larger sized lipophilic molecules could inhibit sublingual absorption - like the plant waxes - so fractioning out the active ingredients might aid in quicker uptake.

I'm reading contradictory statements regarding the extraction now, I thought it was extracted with co2 and further winterized and distilled to isolated compounds, but now I'm reading that it does contain minor cannabinoids and terpenes. You could still get those by distilling though. That's one of the oldest tricks in the book, calling distillate a co2 extract. So I'm really not sure how refined their extract truly is. Co2 is a unique solvent though, you can decarb in the extractor without sustained heat. There are some ways to minimize plant waxes with co2 as well, and you can extract terpenes before the cannabinoids to reduce degradation.

edit: I forgot that you can increase the solubility of alcohol by increasing the temperature. My tincture wasn't absorbing anymore and I saw some resin stuck on the bottom of the jar, so I tossed it on a hot plate and everything looks well dissolved again. Now to see if it stays dissolved or crashes out....

Last edited:

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Yeah, I'm assuming the larger sized lipophilic molecules could inhibit sublingual absorption - like the plant waxes - so fractioning out the active ingredients might aid in quicker uptake.
Sounds very plausible to me.

I'm reading contradictory statements regarding the extraction now, I thought it was extracted with co2 and further winterized and distilled to isolated compounds, but now I'm reading that it does contain minor cannabinoids and terpenes. You could still get those by distilling though. That's one of the oldest tricks in the book, calling distillate a co2 extract. So I'm really not sure how refined their extract truly is. Co2 is a unique solvent though, you can decarb in the extractor without sustained heat. There are some ways to minimize plant waxes with co2 as well, and you can extract terpenes before the cannabinoids to reduce degradation.
According to the package sold here it is CO2, but they could still have distilled it at some point or refined as you describe, I think. I also am not sure how precise the information on the package has to be. Or maybe GW Almirall doesn't want to tell everything on the package either.
edit: I forgot that you can increase the solubility of alcohol by increasing the temperature. My tincture wasn't absorbing anymore and I saw some resin stuck on the bottom of the jar, so I tossed it on a hot plate and everything looks well dissolved again. Now to see if it stays dissolved or crashes out....
Have you studied chemistry or at least highscool, if I dare ask? You are very knowledgable in chemistry, and (vaporizer)physics, etc.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
How did it turn out? I am not sure it should be that dark. Did you try it? Did it work?

Thick Vape,
Reactions: Cheebsy

west-elec

How did it turn out? I am not sure it should be that dark. Did you try it? Did it work?
Thanks for the interest. Yeah I wasn't so sure and haven't had the gumption to try any yet. I plan to do another batch this weekend without the long steep time to compare.
I'm sure it will be potent but I think it ain't gonna taste too good. I'll report back Monday if I have returned to earth by then...

west-elec

I ran a second batch last weekend, not letting it steep overnight like last time. It is slightly less dark than the first batch, but still fairly coloured.
My personal chef (aka my lovely wife), has made me a batch of brownies which I sampled this morning. Really nice, only faint flavour noticeable and not in any way bad, just slight undertone.
I've had a nice background buzz going for the last few hours so I am very happy.
The whole process was dead easy, the only cleanup was the silicone sleeve and very low odor emitted compared to an oven that will stink up the house completely.
I've got a variety that has gone bad, meaning plenty of material I wouldn't bother vaporizing, so the FX is going to get some use. Between this and bubble bags I have no waste and more options. Good times.

west-elec,
Reactions: shredder

strech

Well mine show up yesterday. Grabbed a scoop of wax and hit the a1 cycle. Took about 2 hours then ran the infuse cycle with some coconut oil. This all got finished late so went to bed. This morning I cracked open the ultimate stoner brownie kit and dumped it into the the cup and into the fx it went. Got the green light and let it cool off a bit. Gave half to the Mrs and off we went. Been roughly 45 minutes and I'm starting to float off. Glad I took the day off from work.

Overall very very simple to use. Odor is a big concern of my wife. She doesn't like me stinking the whole house up. This thing had no smell but then again I was using a small amount of wax 0.3.

west-elec

I both decarb and make thc/mct infused oils in my instant pot using the steps in this tread https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/instant-pot-decarb-extract.26157/ and I get great consistent results.

Right now Ardent is running a $100 off sale and I’m debating the purchase. Anyone compare their Ardent to the instant pot method? If so was there any difference in quality?
The quality difference might be small if the setting on the instant pot are close to the best decarbing temp. But the Nova should be spot on every time and even if other methods are close you should get higher % decarbing in the Nova. No need to grind and ease of operation would be main advantages.

strech

Ain't THIS some stuff :doh:
I like her product. her political and social views are hers to have. Personally I think companies and corporations should check most of that shit at the door. It has only made the us vs them mantras bigger and keeps the polarized nature of our 2 party system front and center.

strech,
Reactions: BestBuds
Top Bottom