The Mushroom Thread

Radwin Bodnic

I moved to Oregon recently, which I know is a good place for mushroom hunting at the right time of year.
It seems that Oregon is the place for mushrooms all year long. NYTimes paper. That's cool to see this moving too ! Europe is getting older as a continent...

I'd like to find mushrooms that I enjoy eating, because I know that there is a world of them out there that people love.

May I suggest a few things to help you find them :
1. Spend time in the woods (a lot of time)
2. Look attentively at all mushrooms and their characteristics (details matter)
3. Learn the genuses before the species (with the previous advice you will automatically connect what you've seen in the forest with what
you read in the books)
4. Find a good book ! (I don't know any North America specific mushroom book but I will look into it).

Knewt

This was growing in my yard, no idea if it is edible though.

48383356691_5265f86442_c.jpg

Radwin Bodnic

This was growing in my yard, no idea if it is edible though.

48383356691_5265f86442_c.jpg
I really like this picture however it is really hard to determine a specie just with one picture, furthermore when the specimen is old (like this one).
Only things I can say is that it belongs to the Agaricales order and that it might be saprophyte.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Maybe I should rephrase that as I have never encountered a mushroom that I enjoyed the taste of.

Definitely. I was raised by a mother that hated the taste of mushrooms, so I wasn't raised eating them. I just never developed the taste for them.

I love mushrooms and other fungus from a biological perspective. They are fantastically interesting and amazing in how they function, all that their colonies play in their ecosystems, and how fantastically different they are than most other life on this planet. I just never enjoyed eating them, so the only reason I've been interested in eating them is if I enjoy some other benefit gained from ingesting them.

Nope. I don't have enough knowledge to confidently pick and eat any mushroom I've identified myself, lest I accidentally die.

Though, I moved to Oregon recently, which I know is a good place for mushroom hunting at the right time of year. So , maybe one day. But I need to meet the right people to learn from, and haven't come across that.

Also, don't get me wrong, I'd like to find mushrooms that I enjoy eating, because I know that there is a world of them out there that people love.
Mate I’ll pop down over the border one weekend and I’ll show you some edible varieties! Make a stew out of it 🍲

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
One of the classic writers talked about mycophobes and mycophiles- people who find mushrooms disgusting and people who find them fascinating.
I definitely know of a typical mushroom flavour which is easy to experience by chewing a small piece of raw mushroom- the white field mushrooms you see in every supermarket- forgot the name. You can detect that flavour in many other mushrooms.

I really don't like that taste even though I love seeing mushrooms in the wild and cooking the more gourmet stuff in small amounts with other foods.
Eating a heroic dose of Psilocybe semilanceata was never a pleasant affair and I had to powder them and mix them with honey and swallow fast!
Cubensis and cyanascens taste more nutty and are easier, for sure! Sclerotia can actually taste nice.

I have heard people talking about smoking the Fly Agaric skins before.... I tried it and all I got was a really aweful flavour.... Fungus doesn't really burn even when dry so I guess there was some vaporisation of something there but I got nothing.
I once met a hippy who was quite sure that the white spots on the Fly Agaric skin contain DMT :lol:

There is a free PDF e-book i found online about Amanita that came out some 10 years ago that i can dig out if people are interested> The author believes that Amanita Muscaria is indeed the Soma of Hindu mythology and makes some interesting claims about it. That is where I read about the water extract.
He reckons it is easy to propagate this mushroom without lab technology and that ancient people were onto it.

The amount of BS about this mushroom seems to be off the scale - OR - it is really magic so does totally different things to different people in defiance of science!!

Last edited:

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
While I am not a mycophile, I guess I am (sort of) a myco enthusiast.

Full disclosure - I have hated mushrooms most of my life. Only as an adult (later in life) have I gained a much greater appreciation for them.
That said, my first venture into understanding them further was of course with cubes (psilocybe cubensis) aka Magic Mushrooms.

Dipping my toe into the mycoverse piqued my fascination of the lifecycle and different stages of the different varieties of fungi. I started dabbling with the medicinal and gourmet vars as well and its a neat and fun hobby. Now I have jars full of oysters and a DE of Reishi. Up next are some logs that I plan to innoc with some Shitaki plugs. :D

I have to level though - when it comes to 'actives' cubensis/Panaeolus I much prefer sclerotia (aka stones)

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Although mushroom season is mainly in the fall over here in Western Canada, as a cannabis grower I constantly have to deal with a species called Leucocoprinus ianthinus which grows constantly all year round due to our peat based soil. They never used to be so common for us until a couple years ago. They are said to be toxic and they also smell horrible haha.

We call them the Tiddy Shroom, for obvious reasons haha.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Anyone know a good "FC" like social networking source that they recommend for mushrooms?
And furthermore, is there any source that anyone recommends for finding groups of people that do local foraging to learn from?

Ramahs,
Reactions: Shrike

Radwin Bodnic

I just came across this strange mushroom :

Fuligo Septica

And it's not a blob !
Anyone know a good "FC" like social networking source that they recommend for mushrooms?
I don't know of any except a few Facebook groups, but they're nowhere close to what FC is to vaping.
And furthermore, is there any source that anyone recommends for finding groups of people that do local foraging to learn from?
That can be super tricky depending on where you live. The easiest way to find serious people to learn from would be to ask a biology college. There are often some passionate PhD in biology that bring people into the woods to look after mushrooms on week-ends. At least they will be aware of potential association or club in your area.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

Fuligo Septica

And it's not a blob !

I don't know of any except a few Facebook groups, but they're nowhere close to what FC is to vaping.

That can be super tricky depending on where you live. The easiest way to find serious people to learn from would be to ask a biology college. There are often some passionate PhD in biology that bring people into the woods to look after mushrooms on week-ends. At least they will be aware of potential association or club in your area.

Yeah, I've had some psychonaut friends who had access to labs in university that provided me with lots of cool shit, but never any friends who really helped me learn how to find magic mushrooms in the wild. Too often the mushroom groups I find tend to find want to focus on less "taboo" breeds of mushrooms...which can be really annoying since I'm really only interested in the psychoactive varieties.

el sargantano

Fuligo Septica

And it's not a blob !

It quite resembles to fractal milk kefir grains:
blog_lotskefir_640x640.jpg

(this is a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast or SCOBY, not a fungus alone but an association of lactic acid bacteria & a saccaromices cerevisiae yeast), don't really know it it's related with the OG post on the Fuligo

Radwin Bodnic

Checkout this bodacious Chicken of the Woods Rocky and I found awhile back. The phone cam couldn't really pickup up how vivid the color was... simply electric, almost pulsating in the right light. Although I did not take it, it is considered to be "choice" and said to taste like chicken.

Wow, this one is huge !
I've picked one once but it was nowhere as big as this one. And indeed it is probably one of the most vividly colored mushroom I had ever encountered. The hymenium is definitely the flashiest part !

It does taste a bit like chicken breasts (a bit over cooked and dry chicken breasts) but only the youngest parts are really worth eating.
Although some people can be sensitive to this mushroom. Two of my friends have had flatulences during the night after eating it.

For the record Laetiporus Sulphureus is the international name.

Nice find ! :tup:

Radwin Bodnic

A few of the shrooms presenting in my yard currently

That's a nice yard ! :tup:

The first one look like Vascellum Pratense.
But it could be some Lycoperdon as well.

4 & 5 are probably Ionotus Dryadeus.

I am curious to see the under side of the yellow/orange ones on the 6th picture, because they look like a good edible. (From the Cantharellaceae family).

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Reddit's r/Mushrooms has 180k members and really good core of posters just itching to field questions... They say it's kinda taboo to talk about psychedelics there but they do it all the time... guess it's probably more about how you talk about 'em... ha :razz:Recommended:tup:

Edit: my pic of Rocky and the CotW has received 185 upvotes in a little over a month... heh:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mushrooms/comments/14dzodu It's like shooting fish in a barrel...!;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom