'The Misty Log' - DIY wooden Log Vaporizer

brainiac

log wrangler
Lathe-turned bodies for writing pens is a thing, apparenty. Exotic wood suppliers meet the demand with 'pen blanks' which are an ideal size for making direct draw stems for log vapes. This makes it affordable to sample different types of wood to see which ones work well and have visual appeal - so I have :).

I've done quite a few so I'll post them in batches. Here's the first two lots.

Canarywood-set.jpg

1. Canarywood. 2. Chakte Viga. 3. Mango. 4. Chakte Kok. 5. Muhuhu. 6. Purpleheart. 7. Spalted Tamarind. 8. Whitethorn (native).​

The limitations of the photography become evident when trying to convey how lovely some of this wood is. Subtleties get lost and the paler woods gets bleached.

Leopardwood-set.jpg

1. Leopardwood. 2. Nargusta. 3. Tambootie. 4. Olive. 5. (another) Canarywood. 6. Indian Rosewood. 7. Beeswing Nara. 8. Sapele.​

As mentioned, I haven't really done them credit here, but my personal favorites are the two Chaktes, Nargusta, Beeswing Nara and that incredible Leopardwood.

I might seek out blanks large enough for logs in the most attractive wood types and I'm interested in what people think of the wood and the styles in which the stems are rendered. All feedback welcome :nod:. I'll post some more tomorrow.
:peace:

brainiac

log wrangler
Here's the concluding batch.

Padauk-set.jpg

1. Padauk. 2. Spalted Tamarind. 3. Ziricote. 4. Limba. 5. Black Palm. 6. Zebrano. 7. Wenge. 8. Olive.
Species with distinct figuring seem to work particularly well for stems, and those with showy colours. Some lovely spalting on the Tamarind but it's slightly bleached on this picture.

Osage-set.jpg

L to R: Osage and African Rosewood stems. WPAs: African Rosewood, Mango, Spalted Tamarind, Black Palm, Black Limba and three Cherry. The mushroom design is both attractive (imo) and functional, allowing easy removal from the glass without risk of fingers coming into contact with hot metal. Below them are two pick/tamp tools: a Yew and a poppy-head Holly.

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁πŸͺ΅πŸ’ͺπŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨
Species with distinct figuring seem to work particularly well for stems, and those with showy colours. Some lovely spalting on the Tamarind but it's slightly bleached on this picture.
They're all absolutely awesome, mate πŸ₯°πŸ‘
Here's the Spalted Tamarind dd stem you sent me, after setting in an 8mm ss tip 😊

29-EEA8-BC-6-DBC-49-B6-BFCC-6-C34-BA6-BFF1-C.jpg

erka

Hi
Thanks for this thread, it's a treasure Island
I'm going to try to make a Misty Halo.
But i can't find the ceramic socket with the good wires, the white socket have the black and white wires and the black socket who are in plastic have the blue and brown.
Did someone have a link for the good one.
I'm in France
Thanks in advance

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
Hi
Thanks for this thread, it's a treasure Island
I'm going to try to make a Misty Halo.
But i can't find the ceramic socket with the good wires, the white socket have the black and white wires and the black socket who are in plastic have the blue and brown.
Did someone have a link for the good one.
I'm in France
Thanks in advance
https://sinolec.co.uk/en/low-voltag...s/1211347-g4-ceramic-ceramic-lamp-holder.html I believe these are halogen bulb connectors @brainiac and @blokenoname use for their halo logs. Or at least the website. These are RoHS compliant. https://sinolec.co.uk/en/671-low-voltage-g4-gx53-gy635-gu4-and-gu53-lamp-holders

Last edited:

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
This has been one my favorite lurking threads for many years and always an avid fan of vaping diy. I just recently had some cores made for my logs and just getting supplies to put them into use this week and I was wondering if any one in here would have interest in some injector cores for theirs. I can’t/won’t list them and don’t have a lot extra just thought some one here could really put the design to use as well. They are around $40 all ss316l. Inner diameter of bottom half catches and holds g4 sockets.

GoldenBud

It looks different than the OG HI Resistor for sure ;) I like the fact that you can change the Resistor..... the part where you soldered the + and the - isn't too close to each other? or it doesn't matter, as long as the cables are not too close?
I've had a problem in the past that the + wire was touching the - wire and it didn't work, easy to fix

brainiac

log wrangler
Hi @darkstar72
Sounds like you're making good progress :tup:
Any chance of some pictures and/or build descriptions on the first two units? It's always fascinating to hear how people deal with the various processes involved with making a log. And the third log - what heater will you be using?

Hope it all goes well.

darkstar72

The three on left I built. The fourth is a Heat Island (figured walnut). It's the only log I've seen in person prior to building the three to the left. All have 24v30w printer cartridges.

From left to right is order built. First is 2" diameter wood from Home Depot. Next two are 1 3/4" diameter cherry wood. They're about 4" tall and have a 3" deep well/hole that is 1 1/8" diameter. No bees wax with mineral oil applied yet. All but the third have a 3/8" stainless steel heater covers and pair well with my cork/glass/silicone/paper adapter that sits in the dhgate j-hook. The paper tip goes inside the heater cover. It's a great setup for small loads.

The third one from left has a larger heater cover which is 10mm od x 9.6mm id.

Second picture shows the bottoms. Duck tape on the first two and then followed Alan's method for the third one.

1000003553.jpg

1000003554.jpg

darkstar72

@brainiac - Thanks for the compliment. Your work is top notch in comparison. I'd like to think I'm just getting started with a new hobby making the "medical roaster."

They work really well with my narrow paper tube herb chamber. I plug in and hit it a minute or two after and take a few hits as it heats up further. Up and running after like a half hour later with vvps on full it won't combust but tiny amounts get extracted almost too quick. Variables are amount of herb, herb type, pack density, draw speed and heat accumulated in the roaster.

The third from left with the larger heater cover has a more open air path pull/feel. Will be working on that larger size setup and shaping larger basket screens and non paper roasting tubes.

Yes that recessed jack is tricky to make look good. On the third from left I used a fostner bit barely large enough first for the outer recess, then drilled a hole and tapped the threads. Worked out well. Thanks for the pm on the size for the thread tapping tool.

Stompopolos

Have been lurking and learning here for a while and I've come up with a 10w baller GTR core that I'm really happy with the performance of. Shopping for a lathe at the moment to turn some bodies, and a soldering iron to wire them up with.

I'm wondering what gauge the stiff wire you all use is? I'm still using the suspiciously-coated wires that came with my cartridge heaters.

Stompopolos

Hi and welcome @Stompopolos
We'd be happy to hear any more details on the GTR core if you're willing to share.
Good luck with your project and please keep us updated.
Kia ora brainiac, love your work. I will try and get some pictures up soon. It is an 18F glass core, with a roll of steel mesh at the top and bottom of a cartridge, sandwiching a mass of ruby beads. I got some glass joints where the tube bulges out from the joint a little, meaning the bottom mesh can really seat in there and the whole thing feels quite secure. Running at 12v the thing is a beast, though I think it might need dimming to leave it on for hours without combustion. Further testing required ;)

newSSE

Hi all, I am looking for a log vape that fits with Arizer stems while I pray that Arizer will develop one 🀞 (I actually emailed them asking their R&D team to consider this haha). I saw somewhere there are some stainless steel heaters for DIY log vapes that would be comptaible with Arizer stems.

I think my best bet a this point is just to build it myself, unless I totally missed that someone makes one already? I admit I am a bit intimitated by this 51 page thread, does anyone have any idea where to start? Should I just read from start to finish? Are there specific pages/posts I should be focusing on? Lots of pictures, videos, links discussed in the first few pages are missing so it's a bit harder for me to understand everything that is going on. I found some posts like this one very helpful, but it still a bit vague to me what the options are with that resistor and where I should look for ceramic or ss cartridges. I think the heater is the thing I am most confused about. For the heater covers, it's just stainless steel tubes or glass tubes?

I also couldn't really find other resources on this outside of FC, has anyone made a guide or anything?

Thanks in advance.

ps. I know this is a big project. I have a bit of experience with DIY and electronics. I have someone to help me with wood stuff who is also an electrical engineer so I'll have someone to advise. I can't imagine getting a lathe for this but I think my local tool library may have one. Is there a consensus on the square shapes though?

Last edited:
newSSE,

brainiac

log wrangler
I don't have an Arizer stem to hand. Could you tell me what the internal diameter of the stem is?

brainiac,

newSSE

I don't have an Arizer stem to hand. Could you tell me what the internal diameter of the stem is?

Thanks for the reply! Looks like the total diameter is around 1/2'' or 1.27cm according to the internet. Here's my measurement, it's not the most precise but internal diameter seems around 1.2cm.

I just figure if I have the same stem system for my portable and an at home log then I can really invest and try different stems and be able to use them with both devices. Lots of cool 3rd party stems for Arizer as well.

newSSE,

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Hi all, I am looking for a log vape that fits with Arizer stems while I pray that Arizer will develop one 🀞 (I actually emailed them asking their R&D team to consider this haha). I saw somewhere there are some stainless steel heaters for DIY log vapes that would be comptaible with Arizer stems.

I think my best bet a this point is just to build it myself, unless I totally missed that someone makes one already? I admit I am a bit intimitated by this 51 page thread, does anyone have any idea where to start? Should I just read from start to finish? Are there specific pages/posts I should be focusing on? Lots of pictures, videos, links discussed in the first few pages are missing so it's a bit harder for me to understand everything that is going on. I found some posts like this one very helpful, but it still a bit vague to me what the options are with that resistor and where I should look for ceramic or ss cartridges. I think the heater is the thing I am most confused about. For the heater covers, it's just stainless steel tubes or glass tubes?

I also couldn't really find other resources on this outside of FC, has anyone made a guide or anything?

Thanks in advance.

ps. I know this is a big project. I have a bit of experience with DIY and electronics. I have someone to help me with wood stuff who is also an electrical engineer so I'll have someone to advise. I can't imagine getting a lathe for this but I think my local tool library may have one. Is there a consensus on the square shapes though?
Why the Arizer stem specifically? I ask because I have Arizer stems, and several logs that use glass stems that are excellent. So curious as to why Arizer.

CanikUser19,

newSSE

Why the Arizer stem specifically? I ask because I have Arizer stems, and several logs that use glass stems that are excellent. So curious as to why Arizer.

I woud just love having a system where on the go and at home I can use the same stems. Given that the Arizer stems are quite similar to many of the log stems, I think it could be possible. Would make the purchase of additional stems, third party accessories and fancy stems more worth it. It does add up at the end of the day trying out different stems, but if I could use it with a desktop and a portable seems I could get more out of the stems.

I was looking at logs, and just ordering the different types of stem to figure out preferences really brings up the cost - especially being in Canada with the change rate and international shipping. So if I could just have a log and use with the stems I already have that would be ideal for me.

Maybe there's something I'm missing though why this wouldn't be a good approach?

Last edited:
newSSE,
Top Bottom