'The Misty Log' - DIY wooden Log Vaporizer

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
@Abysmal Vapor

Yes. That weird thing is indeed a carbon filter :p But more on that below ;)
Well, the angled glass cover concept of the 'Blowtorch Misty' has become more or less obsolete now, as the use of a 20W bulb with G4 pins allows me now to build a real Halo Misty along the lines of a typical resistor or cartridge driven log. Means, all and everything there can be done a whole order of magnitude smaller in size, than was possible with the 35W or 50W bulbs :cool:

And with that reduction in size (the air path is reduced to an inner diameter of 10mm now, which means, a much smaller air volume flowing through, needs to be heated ), comes a reduction in power necessary, to produce vapour and make this baby sing :D
The v3 of the Halo Misty now needs a mere 7 - 8W to produce sufficient vapor, running at 6,7V/1,2A right now. With that vastly reduced power output... 'the glow' is no longer an issue anyway. Here's what the Halo Misty (right) looks like at full vaping temps in me dimly lit cave, in comparison to 2 LED ambient light candles (left) :D

2nk8axx.jpg

You can safely put the :cool: back into the drawer ;)
And there's merely a sliver of fine mesh around the bulb and a pipe screen on top, which are more for protection of the bulb and serving to hold it in place, than dimming anything down.

@all

Ok... refined and streamlined that a bit :D :science:

DD stem is now 10mm/7mm OD/ID (was 9mm/6mm before) and so has better airflow, comparable to the standard 8mm (~5/16") steel tips, which also feature a 7mm inner diameter. Had to machine the front end down a bit though, to fit into the 14/23 male joint :p

That off the shelf 14mm GonG in the pic above (actually a carbon filter) was also a bit on the clunky side. The removable bowl insert with the screen is a nice hack, to fasten a proper screen in there, but makes it a rattling affair and is also prone to breaking, as it's cut from very thin glass tubing with only 1,0mm wall thickness.

New GonG is just one of my standard 14mm GonGs, with a 10mm ID bowl and adjustable basket screen. Just gave it a fitting wider glass collar, that allows it to slip over the 14/23 joint of the Halo Misty's heater cover.
As the collar touches the heater cover's joint only at its widest point, it also reduces conduction/heat loss from the heater cover to the GonG itself, presenting a lot less surface/contact area, than the 14/23 female joint of the off the shelf adapter above, which encloses the whole cone from all sides.

fkqves.jpg

For the upcoming v4 iteration of the Halo Misty, I'll also discard the 14/23 male joint for the glass heater cover, as it is more of a nuisance, than really practical.

As with the fatter 19/26 joint stems, the inner diameter of the joint itself varies widely, even with tubing coming from the same batch. Only two of the seven 14/23 stems allowed for a 9mm OD tube to enter. The rest was too narrow (8mm) or in one case, even wider :(
To make that work, I would constantly have to grind down stems or joints, to make them fit.

So I think it's better to just go with a straight end 13mm/10mm OD/ID glass tube for the heater cover instead, the 10mm ID of which have been strict so far in my experience.
This also allows for a much more convenient stem and GonG/WonG line up then. The straight 10mm ID glass heater cover will accept for slide in:

a) Vapcap 10mm steel and titanium tips
b) My own custom made 10mm steel tips
c) 10mm glass roasting tubes and glass tips

... and for sliding over the core and bigger loads, it'll also accept the GonG with the glass collar, I rigged up above.

2ypeowp.jpg

ETA:

There are also various ways to go about the arrangement of the heater/bulb now:

a) You can crimp two longer pieces of appropriate stiff, blank wiring to the two G4 pins of the bulb with uninsulated butt splices and simply lead them down through the glass heater cover into the base section and directly solder them to the contacts of the DC jack there. That’s the purist ‘nothing but wood, glass, stainless steel and a bit of cork’ approach, I guess ;)

b) You can extend the leads as above, but then set them into a fitting ceramic G4 socket, that can sit in a second cork base, situated right above the DC jack (the first cork base sitting further up in the body, holds the heater cover). 0,8mm uninsulated wiring fit perfectly into the G4 socket.
The ceramic socket itself already comes with insulated wiring, which then gets soldered to the DC jack.
This also allows for a relatively easy change of the bulb, as you just need to pull out the heater cover and then pull the bulb with its extended leads out of the G4 socket and set a new one in. Pop the glass cover back in... voila :clap:
That’s the elegant solution.

c) And then there’s the lazy man’s approach… just set the bulb directly into the ceramic G4 socket and simply stuff the whole affair, ceramic socket, insulated wiring and all, up that heater cover and be done with it. As long, as you make sure that the insulation of the wiring can cope with the heat, this works fine too. And yes… there’s also folks out there, who’d rather prefer having insulated wiring, to minimise risk of shorts and such.

So.. to each his own ;)

Last edited:

brainiac

log wrangler
Excellent :tup: Truly groundbreaking stuff :clap:

My 20w bulbs should be here in a few days.
Got some 13/10mm OD/ID glass tube. Also, the 9.5mm OD ss tubing that you sent me in January does a comfey, unmodified, slide-in fit :).
And the 2A PSU is OK?

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
@all
@Alan

Morning! :)

Figured out a way to mod the ceramic G4 socket for use with a user serviceable halogen heater, also getting rid of the provided PTFE insulated wiring, the socket comes with :cool:

Should also be easily to modify for use with a DC jack at the side of the unit.

a) Gently pull the provided teflon insulated wiring and connectors from the socket.
b) Take 3 uninsulated 0,5mm cable shoes.
c) One goes into the plus pin of the jack. Fits perfectly.
d) Slide the pins of the jack into the wider bottom holes of the socket with a bit of pressure. Should sit snug.
e) Now slide the other two cable shoes into the small holes at the top of the socket. Needs a bit of gentle pressure, but fits fine. Left one that connects to the flat minus pin goes in a bit deeper, which is fine.
d) Set in the bulb, that will still sit loose within the 0,5mm cable shoes at first and then gently squeeze the extending parts of the cable shoes a bit with needle nose pliers, to provide a snug enough friction fit for the bulb.

294jmg8.jpg

Voila :clap:

Slides into my 11mm/10mm/0,3mm ss tube well enough, that I use for wider heater covers.

vsexav.jpg

That modded socket should also easily do to set in a resistor or cartridge heater instead.

ETA:

The really nice thing about the ceramic socket is though, that it's very versatile in how it can be used in a log. For instance, you could use it to also set the resistor or cartridge heater in. One way would be to make a 8mm center hole into the wooden step, between the heater well and bottom cavity section. Into that, you stuff the socket.
Then you connect it to the jack located at the unit's side, either by the provided teflon insulated wiring... or you just rip that out and connect blank wiring via uninsulated cable shoes or butt splices for the purist.

Then you take your heater, and simply push its leads into the sockets! Screw on heater cover... done! :clap:
That way, you only ever need to unscrew the heater cover, should you want or need to access or replace the heater ;)
There are a lot of variations on that theme.

Last edited:

brainiac

log wrangler
Great work :tup: This is original research.
Once you've given the ss core Halo Misty a thorough testing :science::) it will be interesting to hear your
views on the relative merits of the halo option vs the resistor/cartridge.
Any preliminary thoughts?

Meanwhile, here at Chateau Braniac the quest continues for a log worthy of Bilbo Baggins' vape station.
This one's made of European walnut - quite rare in Middle Earth, as I understand.

walnut-in-hand-2.jpg

Walnut-in-hand-1.jpg

Dense grain detail and complex shapes. It's a log that will take some time to get to know.

Walnut-on-wall-1.jpg

Walnut-on-wall-with-wpa-upright.jpg

And from a smaller part of the same branch I got the WPA :).

Base well wiring...

walnut-base-solde-arrowr.jpg

I've gone for tin plated copper wire with three tubular glass beads. Each one held in place with a tiny blob of solder. Three's enough to ensure zero chance of a short. The lowest one is just visible - arrowed.
The other wire is wound around that screw to dissipate heat.
The jack connector is certainly warm but well within acceptable limits - and I'm a bit fussy on that.
In a future build will try the wound wire without the screw :nod:

Good logging ppl.
:peace:

ubardog

Great work :tup: This is original research.
Once you've given the ss core Halo Misty a thorough testing :science::) it will be interesting to hear your
views on the relative merits of the halo option vs the resistor/cartridge.
Any preliminary thoughts?

Meanwhile, here at Chateau Braniac the quest continues for a log worthy of Bilbo Baggins' vape station.
This one's made of European walnut - quite rare in Middle Earth, as I understand.

walnut-in-hand-2.jpg

Walnut-in-hand-1.jpg

Dense grain detail and complex shapes. It's a log that will take some time to get to know.

Walnut-on-wall-1.jpg

Walnut-on-wall-with-wpa-upright.jpg

And from a smaller part of the same branch I got the WPA :).

Base well wiring...

walnut-base-solde-arrowr.jpg

I've gone for tin plated copper wire with three tubular glass beads. Each one held in place with a tiny blob of solder. Three's enough to ensure zero chance of a short. The lowest one is just visible - arrowed.
The other wire is wound around that screw to dissipate heat.
The jack connector is certainly warm but well within acceptable limits - and I'm a bit fussy on that.
In a future build will try the wound wire without the screw :nod:

Good logging ppl.
:peace:
wow man that one is fooking brill!!!!! I really love the 100% natural look and thats some Perfect Jack placement too :D I prefer the uninsulated wire with glass spacer set up. Again, aesthetically very pleasing
:D This floats ubars boat

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
@brainiac

This one's really a stunner, mate! :nod::clap::love:
... and really fitting for a Hobbit vape station! Guess even Gandalf would drop in, to have a nice comfy toke from it :nod::sherlock:

And the jack's placement is just awesome :D

More on the most recent halo stuff later tonight! 10W bulbs just arrived and so far, it looks like we have a winner there. Gives me a Max of 12V and 9,8w on the VVPS and draws about a single amp:tup:
Looks, like we could even run this little bugger straight off the wall w/o need of a dimmer/buck :rockon:

Last edited:

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Ok. Guess, the 10W bulb is it, then! :clap:

My comfy vape point here is at 11V, giving me about 8,5W and that produces nice fat clouds and coffee brown AVB :rockon:

For running it directly from the wall wart at a full 12V, it's just a titbit too hot, but the ideal vaping temp is close enough to 12V now, to make handling even with a simple dimmer with a dial easy enough, as you've to go just a notch or two down from full blast :tup:

sb37vd.jpg

Also added maybe a square centimeter of folded up ss fine mesh, to sit right under the debris screen within the heater cover, to alleviate the pim point light effect, the bulb sitting within a reflective steel tubes produces a bit and it works pretty well.
What you see below in the pic, is how bright it actually gets at 11V/8,5W in real life. That's all :)

The faint orange glow, illuminating the inside of the heater well is the light escaping from the air intake slits at the base of the heater cover. Looks kinda cool :cool:

mwqr7a.jpg

2e6fo05.jpg

The most convenient fact with the 11mm ss heater cover is however, that it fits off the shelf options for fitting dd stems/roasting tubes and GonGs.
All your Ti/ss Vapcap tips will work as slide in tips, and so will the original glass Vapcap.
And all your Arizer Solo/Air glass stems and GonGs will fit for sliding over the core.

ohi77o.jpg

The beautiful 18mm WonG in the background of the first pic is one of the awesome wooden adapters BTW, @brainiac did for me from a plum twig :nod: :love:
It's 8mm countersink also perfectly fits the backend of a Vapcap tip to set in :)

Last edited:

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Ok. Guess, the 10W bulb is it, then! :clap:

My comfy vape point here is at 11V, giving me about 8,5W and that produces nice fat clouds and coffee brown AVB :rockon:

For running it directly from the wall wart at a full 12V, it's just a titbit too hot, but the ideal vaping temp is close enough to 12V now, to make handling even with a simple dimmer with a dial easy enough, as you've to go just a notch or two down from full blast :tup:

sb37vd.jpg

Also added maybe a square centimeter of folded up ss fine mesh, to sit right under the debris screen within the heater cover, to alleviate the pim point light effect, the bulb sitting within a reflective steel tubes produces a bit and it works pretty well.
What you see below in the pic, is how bright it actually gets at 11V/8,5W in real life. That's all :)

The faint orange glow, illuminating the inside of the heater well is the light escaping from the air intake slits at the base of the heater cover. Looks kinda cool :cool:

mwqr7a.jpg

2e6fo05.jpg

The most convenient fact with the 11mm ss heater cover is however, that it fits off the shelf options for fitting dd stems/roasting tubes and GonGs.
All your Ti/ss Vapcap tips will work as slide in tips, and so will the original glass Vapcap.
And all your Arizer Solo/Air glass stems and GonGs will fit for sliding over the core.

ohi77o.jpg

The beautiful 18mm WonG in the background of the first pic is one of the awesome wooden adapters BTW, @brainiac did for me from a plum twig :nod: :love:
It's 8mm countersink also perfectly fits the backend of a Vapcap tip to set in :)

Well done @blokenoname
It is brilliant in so many different ways.
I imagine the heat up time is a bit faster than a resistor/cartridge.
So nice that the light lets you know that it is on and working.
Probably a good night light at lower voltages. Sort of like candle / mood light?

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Well done @blokenoname
It is brilliant in so many different ways.
I imagine the heat up time is a bit faster than a resistor/cartridge.
So nice that the light lets you know that it is on and working.
Probably a good night light at lower voltages. Sort of like candle / mood light?

Thank you, for your kind words @Alan :)

I just ran a test with a stopwatch, and after just 5 minutes from stone cold you get good clouds already and evenly browned AVB. Used the wooden stem with the Vapcap Ti tip for the test.

Yeah! It's a comfy candle/mood light quality, even at full vaping temps around 10,5 -11v :cool:
Any direct light from the bulb within the ss heater cover is dimmed by the bit of folded ss fine mesh within the formed debris screen. And the indirect light shining from the air intake slits just give the inside of the heater well that low reddish and comfy glow :sherlock::smug:

Hehe... every time I'm reaching for a non-halo powered unit now, I wonder in the first moment, why the friggin' lights are not on :hmm: :rofl:

Edit:
Side by side comparison with a standard steel core Misty:
Shorter unit with the side plug is the halo unit.

2mfekvc.jpg

Last edited:

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
There! Going with just two tiny splices and a drop of solder is simply more convenient for the replaceable heater, that gets threaded in from the bottom of the base cavity, as it allows me to properly center the bulb on top of the DC jack more easily, than having the ceramic socket there. The splices itself act as little sockets here.

24vpanm.jpg

For the version with the plug located at the side of the base and the insulated wiring (outside the direct air path), the ceramic socket is ideal and I'll keep it there. This also allows for easy exchange of the heater/bulb by the user, though the ss heater cover has to be unscrewed and taken out for that. Then the bulb can just be pulled from its socket and a new one inserted.

xnbw5f.jpg

Last edited:

Megaton

I'm a sucker for a pretty light! Is there any way of drilling a hole out of the side of one of the halo units and putting a little coloured glass bead in for a nice external 'on' light?

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Well... if I can come up with an idea, how to keep that little coloured glass bead in place, then we can easily drill a small hole into the side of the heater well for that :rofl: :tup:

brainiac

log wrangler
I really love the 100% natural look and thats some Perfect Jack placement too :D
Mother Nature does the real work here. :nod:
I just try to turn them into functional log vapes without messing them up.

Yes, the jack placement. On other Rustic units I've had to think quite hard about placement. With the walnut though, both the 'grasp' - the natural way to hold it - and the physical contours of the log, pointed to the same place.

I hadn't realised walnut came in light variations too!
Thought I might have mis-labeled it as I was expecting something much darker too but it's European walnut.
Highly variable in colour and patterning.

a judicious tap with a hammer? :goon:
The words judicious and hammer don't fit in the same sentence :D
However, glass is one of the limited range of things we can use in logs and so is light.

@bloke - More mpressive refinements :clap:
Looking forward to trying out a halogen unit based on your latest build :tup::rockon:

Last edited:

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Just a short forewarning: TinyPic is closing shop on Sept. 16th. As most of the pics in this thread were hosted by TP, we'll probably see a lot of placeholders within the next days. Sad :( But can't be helped! :shrug:
Switching to imgBB here.

That's what TinyPic said:

"August 20, 2019 - no new images may be uploaded on TinyPic.

August 29, 2019 - hosted images will no longer be viewable on 3rd party websites. Because we are an anonymous hosting site and therefore cannot provide notice by e-mail to our users, we have opted to replace all hosted images with a temporary message directing them to this notice.

September 16, 2019 - last day for TinyPic account holders to access their accounts and download their images."

ETA:
Well... we'll just have to live with that then. So lean back and...

E2904410-AC50-47-FA-A45-E-3-A4-C86-EA289-C.jpg

Last edited:

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Nice! :clap:

The 12mm/9mm OD/ID glass tubing from the lab glass shop just arrived :nod:
Now we can make perfectly fitting glass direct draw and sliding stems, to slip over the standard 9mm OD steel heater cover :D
No more play, rattling or drawing of too much ambient air there, due to a too slack fit! :tup:

43-BE966-C-70-C8-498-B-A208-381917-D92853.jpg

Though have to use another method now, to widen the cover's heater port from the rounded off edges, the tube cutter leaves. Used to do that by just twisting needle nose pliers within the heater port, till the 8mm tip would slip in again. This can leave the heater port slightly oval though, which interferes then with the snug fit of the new glass :p
But dicovered now, that it's easy enough to simply file the steel tube's edge down a mm or so, then the rounded off edge is gone, tips fit in and the glass slips over :)

Edit:
@brainiac ... the new 11mm ss tubing for the halo units will arrive tomorrow!

Last edited:

brainiac

log wrangler
@brainiac ... the new 11mm ss tubing for the halo units will arrive tomorrow!

Excellent. Many thanks :tup::) It will be put to good use :nod:
Checked a batch of 8 apple blanks today. Cut to size and wrapped in newspaper in mid June.
I reckon they're ready for use now so the first Rustic ss core halo will probably be apple :)

Great tip on filing down the top of the heater cover to remove that constriction :tup:.
Could even be done post-build using a dremel.

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Great tip on filing down the top of the heater cover to remove that constriction :tup:.
Could even be done post-build using a dremel.

Got me a whole set of different shaped small diamond files, including one big one for rough work. Was about EUR 16. Very helpful :nod:

And also very helpful in the glass cutting. Take the triangular file and a drop of water and go about it, filing a deep groove around the glass tube. The files cut it like butter! Then simply break it apart :)
Less dusty than with the dremel.

Love to see an apple halo Rustic :)

Top Bottom