The Mighty/Mighty+ by Storz & Bickel

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
^ This too :) (Apart from lifting it to clear the end of a draw.)
I kinda miss the shot/carb hole on my old bong, it would have been pretty useful with my vapes.
I'm happy Vapefiend did that but I was waiting for Ratchett to do it first. Decisions decisions....

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hello, all! First-time poster, and with all I may lay out here, I'm not exactly sure where this post belongs! I'll leave it to mod, and forgive my newness, please. Maybe here, maybe with Crafty thread? maybe Pax 2?

I own a Crafty, and my Pax was recently upgraded to a Pax 2. Love both, to be sure. After 2 years of Pax, I sent it in complaining that screens wouldn't stay put; they offered replacement unit (onyx only). Said my trouble could not be confirmed, but did I know the temp switch was stuck? Anyway, they also offered upgrade discount of $80 towards a Pax 2, and after a couple of hours skimming the Pax 2 thread (thank you!), I decided that the new pax looked like a significant improvement. This has been confirmed by my use. It works great!

But this is the MIGHTY thread! I saw, back a page or so, a warranty declined due to battery over-use. I was also declined, though on my Crafty. My first Crafty (serial #5xxx) lasted 2 months, about 80 hours and started overheating, shutting down, etc., so I sent it back. Very quickly came a replacement (#11xxx). That one lasted 4 months, between 130-140 hours, and started getting pretty hot, then charging became intermittent - while on charger, blue light shut off, sometimes back on, etc. I sent it in, and asked about upgrade program they might have. Seems a Mighty might suit my needs better - I especially thought this when I learned that a Mighty can be used as a pure plug-in.

I was extremely disappointed with the call I got from S&B America. I was told that, while very impressive, my use had exceeded the battery manufacturer's lifetime number of charge cycles. (I'm paraphrasing here).
The lifetime charge cycle allowance is 8xx, and I had used 9xx, and so, he could not offer me the $80 upgrade to the Mighty. (btw, I had paid the full original price, $399, for Crafty, and now that is the price for Mighty...). He did offer a $100 discount on upgrade to a Mighty, but I declined; was not prepared to lay out $299 cash. So, I was quoted a battery replacement, at $70 (even though I had seen published price on website was lower than that, I didn't argue the point, I was kinda seething about the 900+ charge cycles!). I agreed to the $70 battery swap, and he said I'd also get the new firmware (2.7 at the time) and the new beefed up shell/housing, of course, and because I'm a swell customer, a brand new cooling unit. Yipee!!

I sat back and soon came what I fully expected - a new, sealed-box Crafty (#23xxx, ver 2.7). All that talk about fixing the old one was out the window...including the quote, 'cause the invoice was for $50. Go figure.

The irony is not lost on me, that S&B sent me a brand new Crafty, yet would not offer a Mighty for $80, and not for the 80 plus 50 or 70 more; nope, $299 cash, and not get Crafty back, either. I believe the only change might have been re-setting the clock on the warranty. Instead, I reside on the Crafty merry-go-round.

Now, about 'abuse' of the battery. The cs rep started a brief song and dance about a charging cycle being defined as "something like" when the battery is charged more than 25% or so. He backed off being specific about this, but did say that he knew the Crafty was not a "smart" device, and so, it was not good for the battery to charge too often (i.e., should wait til battery is down, then fully charge - including remove from charger soon after, please! and don't let it sit there overnight! Holy crap.

When I opened the box on Pax 2, some of the first, sparse words I saw were, "Pax 2 is Smart". Almost no instructions at all (online manual). Pax encourages frequent charging. S & B imposes a penalty for frequent charging. The Pax 1 that I owned was 2 years old, no battery issues yet. The 'abused' Crafty was 4 months old. My apparent sin was religiously returning the unit to the charger. But my math still can't attribute all the 9xx charge cycles to my regular use. I speculate that, when the unit/battery turned faulty, it was racking up useless charge cycles just sitting there. S & B didn't seem to be too concerned that their metric for measuring this 'abuse' might be faulty.

Did I mention that I love both the Crafty and the Pax 2? :wave:

Onamic99

Ouch! This is pretty huge, since I believe you are the first to report tired batteries, especially in such short time. What are your typical usage patterns? Charging patterns? I'm curious, because i've had 2 Mighty's since 4/20 and have used both moderately throughout the summer, and i'm paranoid about premature battery wear so i'm always monitoring, checking, etc. and even after so many months of usage, my batteries don't seem any different than new? I can heat up from 20c to 180c in under 1m:15s unless there are other parameters that should be measured. I still get as many bowls and everything seems the same as new, although on one Mighty the vibration seems to have become slightly weaker.

If $120USD is somewhere in my future (like it seems), it looks like the Mighty may not be for me afterall.

HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED ANY DETERIORATION WITH THE MIGHTY BATTERY?

I received mine about the middle of June and was going to be my daily driver. I am a heavy user but I did not think I would have any issues. I would say 4 to 6 sessions a day @ 365 deg max! Funny thing is that for most of that time I was working at home and used the mighty plugged in to ac power. I am starting to suspect that the internal count on the battery usage still runs while the device is plugged in. Otherwise I would have to be vaping almost 7x24. It sounds like a call to S&B is in order to express my concerns.

Jherst

I received mine about the middle of June and was going to be my daily driver. I am a heavy user but I did not think I would have any issues. I would say 4 to 6 sessions a day @ 365 deg max! Funny thing is that for most of that time I was working at home and used the mighty plugged in to ac power. I am starting to suspect that the internal count on the battery usage still runs while the device is plugged in. Otherwise I would have to be vaping almost 7x24. It sounds like a call to S&B is in order to express my concerns.
Yep the batteries are still being charged/discharged when the unit is plugged in and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even turn on if you plugged it in without them.

Jherst,
Reactions: Michel

esoh

my dog's Storz & Bickel hand brush kill count has risen to 3, now i'm stuck on my original dirty dirty brush that came with the unit.

anyone know a good source for buying a similar type of brush in bulk? I know the S&B site isnt too overpriced, but i'd like to find them at a cheaper price online somewhere if that's possible. holla

esoh,
Reactions: Jherst

Jherst

Welp after way way way too much deliberation I have decided to go with a Zion instead of the Mighty. If S&B get their act together and start treating their customers that are shelling out hundreds and hundreds of dollars to them a bit better I may hop on board sometime down the road because I still think this device would fit my needs better than anything else on the market.

Jherst

I hope someone from SB will chime in here on the battery replacement scam...I mean issues but I am not holding my breath seeing how things are going.
The problem is I don't think they even see it as an "issue."

The very first line under their FAQ about batteries is "Don't expect too much!"

They had a set price for replacement listed in the FAQs from the get go so I kinda feel like this is how they planned it to work. Especially since batteries are specifically excluded in their warranty literature.

Onamic99

Ouch! This is pretty huge, since I believe you are the first to report tired batteries, especially in such short time. What are your typical usage patterns? Charging patterns? I'm curious, because i've had 2 Mighty's since 4/20 and have used both moderately throughout the summer, and i'm paranoid about premature battery wear so i'm always monitoring, checking, etc. and even after so many months of usage, my batteries don't seem any different than new? I can heat up from 20c to 180c in under 1m:15s unless there are other parameters that should be measured. I still get as many bowls and everything seems the same as new, although on one Mighty the vibration seems to have become slightly weaker.

If $120USD is somewhere in my future (like it seems), it looks like the Mighty may not be for me afterall.

HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED ANY DETERIORATION WITH THE MIGHTY BATTERY?

Welp after way way way too much deliberation I have decided to go with a Zion instead of the Mighty. If S&B get their act together and start treating their customers that are shelling out hundreds and hundreds of dollars to them a bit better I may hop on board sometime down the road because I still think this device would fit my needs better than anything else on the market.

The problem is I don't think they even see it as an "issue."

The very first line under their FAQ about batteries is "Don't expect too much!"

They had a set price for replacement listed in the FAQs from the get go so I kinda feel like this is how they planned it to work. Especially since batteries are specifically excluded in their warranty literature.

Yea I am not counting any any outcome other than me not recommending SB products to anyone until they fix their customer service. For an upper end device supplier at least on the cost end, I would expect upper end customer service. At least now I don't have to worry about a damn warranty and can add some real batteries to the thing.

Mainoffender

Yea I am not counting any any outcome other than me not recommending SB products to anyone until they fix their customer service. For an upper end device supplier at least on the cost end, I would expect upper end customer service. At least now I don't have to worry about a damn warranty and can add some real batteries to the thing.
Exactly. I know some of you have had great things to say about S and B but somethings changed. I found out the hard way when mine started acting up on day one and it took S and B 4 days to reply to my first email. First Germany agreed to an exchange and then Oakland got involved and said no. When I called and got into it with them they refused to even admit they'd upgraded the fins and firmware since it was first released. I have no idea why but I suspect the Crafty and Mighty have cost them big time with exchanges and repairs so they've decided to play hardball. I kept mine and just keep hitting the power button when it shuts down. Works okay this way but it'll be a backup when my Haze V3 arrives next week.

Mainoffender,

Stinky

I hope someone from SB will chime in here on the battery replacement scam...I mean issues but I am not holding my breath seeing how things are going.

B&S don't comment publically and don't associate themselves with anything to do with cannabis.

When I joined here I was told that you aren't allowed to say anything negative about B&S on this forum as they don't have right of reply. I complained on here about my first Mighty unit that didn't have pass through charging and wouldn't heat up when it was below 20% charge.

Things have dramatically changed with their customer service this year and even more so in the last few months. I am glad that we are seemingly allowed to talk about the problems now as people have a right to know.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
When I joined here I was told that you aren't allowed to say anything negative about B&S on this forum as they don't have right of reply.
This is not what you were told. You were told that you couldn't post emails between S&B and yourself regarding your issues without consent from S&B. The fact that S&B doesn't participate on this forum (or any other afaik) just means that you won't get a reply from them here.

You are free to complain about your experience, and you have done so more than once. However, continued posts with no "new" information is viewed as company bashing around here and could bring warning points, so keep that in mind as you post further in this thread.

:peace:

Stinky

This is not what you were told. You were told that you couldn't post emails between S&B and yourself regarding your issues without consent from S&B. The fact that S&B doesn't participate on this forum (or any other afaik) just means that you won't get a reply from them here.

You are free to complain about your experience, and you have done so more than once. However, continued posts with no "new" information is viewed as company bashing around here and could bring warning points, so keep that in mind as you post further in this thread.

:peace:

That is what I meant. Thanks for clarifying that.

Jherst

Took the counterfeit apart before I tossed it so I could maybe see what was causing the burning plastic smell. Really surprised they actually used two batteries I halfway expected one side to just be loaded with lead hahaha.

TQnrJ1n.jpg

JSgBcNN.jpg

Plastic at the bottom of the heater was burning as it heated up it looks like.
lgPS0SN.jpg

Edit: Took apart the heater too. If they would've just used high temp plastic this thing could've been awesome. I did puff on it without inhaling and it produced nice thick vapor. Looks like it uses a heated ceramic rod and also has wires going towards the bowl area that look like they heated the bowl or read it's temp or something. Reminds me of a mini LSV.

Bottom of heater, ceramic rod coming out of the center:
fItRHrQ.jpg

Bowl/center of heater:
09K35tu.jpg

x4ao0yZ.jpg

Last edited:

Jherst

could one feasibly order the burning plastic piece directly from S&B and replace it in the fake? if thats the only issue with it of course.
I highly doubt they'd sell a part like that to just anybody but who knows. I wouldn't use it anyway because the air path is all through the outside plastic housing and it smells awful and bends like paper when heated up. Would basically need to replace every plastic part there is. And I'd still be concerned about the sleeving on the wires and probably ten other things haha.

When I was super baked last night I thought it would be really cool to try and assemble the heater and core in some kind of glass housing or something, then I remembered I know absolutely nothing about soldering or electronics in general so I gave up on that idea pretty quick.

MinnBobber

could one feasibly order the burning plastic piece directly from S&B and replace it in the fake? if thats the only issue with it of course.
Nice idea BUT S & B won't let the consumer even change a battery so : take it apart and disassemble, reassemble ... not a chance. And on a fake... no way

Dipshit McGee

Now, about 'abuse' of the battery. The cs rep started a brief song and dance about a charging cycle being defined as "something like" when the battery is charged more than 25% or so. He backed off being specific about this, but did say that he knew the Crafty was not a "smart" device, and so, it was not good for the battery to charge too often (i.e., should wait til battery is down, then fully charge - including remove from charger soon after, please! and don't let it sit there overnight! Holy crap.

Thank you for this! I've been wondering about this a lot lately.

Dipshit McGee,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Thank you for this! I've been wondering about this a lot lately.

I continue to wonder about this, too. My prior post was of course just one person's experience and viewpoint. I guess I was lamenting the layers of instruction and information. I really don't know very much about batteries, nor do I know if the advice I was given is good or bad. It does seem though, that Pax 2 charging is less of a hassle, in terms instruction given about how to make it work well!

I'd like to hear any about other's experience with S&B about batteries - or more specifically, about exceeding the maximum number of charge cycles (battery wearing out) in Crafty and Mighty. Gotta be more than two of us by now?

vapviking,

BioSector

Had a bad experience tonight with my mighty. It's a 2015 model I got a couple months ago for a warranty replacement. Wasn't brand new though. Think they replaced housing and updated firmware only. Turned it on about 20 minutes after a session for another quick one and it read 40C but didn't go anywhere. Power cycled, no good. Went to get Crafty and before swapping load I decided to try again and it worked.

Not impressed at the moment. :(

esoh

does anybody else's mighty performance kinda suck after iso washing the CU?

i just roasted this bowl for 20+ minutes at 395 and the bud is still a very light yellow/brown, whereas before washing the CU, 20 minutes at that temperature would give a really nice dark avb.

what am i doing wrong here

Stinky

does anybody else's mighty performance kinda suck after iso washing the CU?

i just roasted this bowl for 20+ minutes at 395 and the bud is still a very light yellow/brown, whereas before washing the CU, 20 minutes at that temperature would give a really nice dark avb.

what am i doing wrong here
My unit always performs much better after a clean. Check that the cooling unit is sealed properly with the hologram locked into place. Some people have posted pics where their CU's weren't sealed and you could see the o-rings.

Top Bottom