Qbit

cannabanana
steiner666 said:
Qbit said:
Perhaps you're not drying your weed properly. Make sure you put your weed on top of your TV or hot water heater or some other warm appliance for a couple of hours before grinding. It'll make your bud brittle and crumbly instead of sticky. You should be doing this anyway for weed you want to vape.

Of course you'll still get some build-up in your grinder, but it shouldn't jam or clog it up. And it should be easy to scrape out with something pokey.
You know, i was just thinking the other day about using the aroma top/dish on my DBV for this purpose, after cleaning it out good of course lol. I haven't really deliberately dried weed out, like by using a mild-ish heat source, before. I've always figured that my DBV dries it out pretty thoroughly during the first hit and vapes it just fine afterwards. But with this I've realized that it is pretty important. This past week i've been grinding the stuff up in my 4 piece grinder (just regularly, not up-side-down) ahead of time and leaving it in there and then i put the grinder on top of my stereo which gets a bit warm. I take a bit out and grind it up finer in my 2 piece grinder if i'm going to use it in my LB. It does make things much easier and you go through batteries a lot less lol.
Don't dry your herb with too high heat, like above maybe 60C/140F. If you go much above that, the terpenes (aromatic essential oils) may begin to evaporate slowly. Mind you there are some people who like high temp drying (like medical users), as they may not wish to have the 'spiky' effects of the terpenes, giving them a less brain-bending and more sedative high. That means drying at anything up to 120C/240 F. It kills the flavour though.

And the grinder-on-the-stereo sounds good, although I wonder if it might be less effective at drying weed that has been compacted during the grinding process. But yeah give the whole-bud-drying trick a shot and see if it makes difference.

Qbit,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Don't you find it's enough to just set your herb out for a few hours/overnight to dry is enough?

Am I understanding this right....the herb needs to be ground finer for this vape than other vapes?

Ordered my LB on Sunday. Lot's of correspondence from Vape World and it shipped Monday. I'm looking to get it in the next couple days and can't wait to experiment with it.

momofthegoons,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Another quick question...

Has anyone used the energizer 15 min battery charger that comes with the car adaptor for the LB? The option of a car adaptor really appeals to me.

momofthegoons,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
momofthegoons said:
Another quick question...

Has anyone used the energizer 15 min battery charger that comes with the car adaptor for the LB? The option of a car adaptor really appeals to me.
Yes, that is what I am using now. The 15 minute charger works well (it came with 4 batteries). I stripped the covering on those batteries, charged them and used them the first time I tried the LB. Charging time is really quick.

Tom

tdavie,

Qbit

cannabanana
momofthegoons said:
Don't you find it's enough to just set your herb out for a few hours/overnight to dry is enough?
Not unless it's on something warm. It makes a noticeable difference.

Qbit,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
The "finer & dryer" does make a difference to me esp. for the LB. I have found though that the herb dries more during the first part of the session with the LB. I then crumble it up even more and it's like loading a fresh trench :)

I'm not sure about that 15min charger... I have one and was using it but I read it decreases the overall life of the battery so I've gone back to the stock charger for now. I'd love to hear a definitive on that.

Lo,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thanks for the input from all of you. As a newbie to vaping, it's great to have you "seasoned veterans" of the box to talk to. I will be happy to post my input (I guess that could be interpreted as always ready to give my opinion:p) on the batteries once I've had it for a while. I'm thinking of getting the 15 min charger so that in a pinch I can recharge quickly. Plus that car adaptor is a great feature. Gotta have all my bases covered, if you get my drift.

momofthegoons,

Lo

Hey mom... I'm OCD so I cover all bases and have backups for all bases LOL but... I felt pressed having only 4 batteries. Once I bought 4 more I feel like I can leave the house with 6 even if 2 are on charger. The 15min one did charge 4 at once though versus the 2 on the slow charger. Anyhow, more charged batteries on hand equals better comfort level for me ;)

Lo,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
The 15 minute charger might drop the overall lifespan of the batteries by 10-15% (I say might because I had a Rayovac IC3 15 minute charger 4 years ago and they said 7-800 charges as opposed to 900-1000). For me thats a good trade off that I don't think will ever be an issue.

I haven't used the LB with the stem and I don't know if I'm going to because the vapors just tasted so good using it in 'native' mode.

Tom

tdavie,

reece

I used to place my herbs in a box with an opening in the lid and let it sit.

I'm going to go against the grain here. I no longer dry my herbs for any of my vapes including the LB. As long as you get a good grind, it is a much better experience in my opinion. I keep the herb in the freezer and take out small portions to grind. I turn the grinder upside down while grinding to get a finer (not powder) consistency. Depending on the strain and because it isn't dry, I sometimes cannot get it as fine as I like. I also use a coin in my grinder (4 piece with screen) for faster kief collection (I know it isn't as pure that way). I find the coin helps to break the herbs down more so you have the increased surface area which is desirable for vaping, along with the retaining the flavor by not drying your herbs. I've been doing it for months now.

reece,
Reactions: ntaylor

Lo

I'd agree w/ Reece there as I like the flavor so I don't do special drying. I do leave my herb sit out a bit if it's real tacky but I don't use any heat at all to dry herb for any of my vapes. I figure after I get my tasty puffs it's drier and I can then crumble it, reload it, start over.

I have tried to vape some herb that wasn't really dry and it did not vape as well but once it dried out a bit....bingo :) To me those tasty puffs are wonderful so I forego major drying efforts in favor of the flavor.

Lo,

steiner666

Serial vapist
yeah i wouldnt be setting the temp very high at all if i used that aroma dish for drying it out, which i more than likely wont do because id have to clean it out every time i did so not worth it really. I think i'm just going to stick with setting it on something just slightly above room temperature to help speed it along. I dont want to lose anything, flavor or any of the active ingredients.

i have noticed that stuff thats dry enough to break up with 2 fingers and grinds to near powder w/o trouble DOES vape way more efficiently in the LB than anything else. Otherwise it takes a couple hits and shakes to get it going going, and thats just wasting battery life IMO, and you'll probably need to grind it up again to get the most out of it that you can, which is bothersome especially if you dont carry a grinder around with you. Plus, with a screen as fine as this one, why NOT dry it and grind it up as fine as possible. I could see if you wanted to get a larger quantity of thinner hits because your lungs are weak or something, but i think the objective for usage of a portable, stealthy sort of vape should be to "get it in ya" as fast and efficiently as possible.

steiner666,

reece

steiner666 said:
I dont want to lose anything, flavor or any of the active ingredients.
I used no heat source at all to dry mine out. There is a major loss in flavor. But I didn't know it until I stopped drying.
steiner666 said:
i have noticed that stuff thats dry enough to break up with 2 fingers and grinds to near powder w/o trouble DOES vape way more efficiently in the LB than anything else. Otherwise it takes a couple hits and shakes to get it going going, and thats just wasting battery life IMO, and you'll probably need to grind it up again to get the most out of it that you can, which is bothersome especially if you dont carry a grinder around with you. Plus, with a screen as fine as this one, why NOT dry it and grind it up as fine as possible. I could see if you wanted to get a larger quantity of thinner hits because your lungs are weak or something, but i think the objective for usage of a portable, stealthy sort of vape should be to "get it in ya" as fast and efficiently as possible.
I get the same amount of trenches (2+) per battery as I did when I dried the material.

My Box gets going just fine on the first hit, which is nice and flavorful. Plus, after getting those flavor filled hits, the material is dried about as much as it's going to get.

I have never needed to grind it up again. I did try crushing it in my fingers after finishing to get a bit more. Although I did get a little more out of it, it wasn't enough to be worth the extra effort. Plus, isn't there some loss when using your hands?

Why not dry it? Because the flavor is retained resulting in a more complete experience, for me at least.

Why does it have to be as fast as possible? There is no sound, little to no smell which dissipates quickly, and it is easily hidden. Take your time and enjoy yourself. I think the objective is to get your medication without alerting others. ;)

I think amount of surface area is more important than moisture content. The only reason I see for drying is that it is easier to break down to smaller pieces. So if you can get the increased surface area without drying, why not? I was resistant at first also. I tried it and didn't notice much of any difference. But the stuff I had was pretty dry to start with. So I tried again and it was a world of difference. It can't hurt to experiment a bit. You may like it. Or not. Different strokes and all, Willis.

reece,

steiner666

Serial vapist
reece said:
I did try crushing it in my fingers after finishing to get a bit more. Although I did get a little more out of it, it wasn't enough to be worth the extra effort. Plus, isn't there some loss when using your hands?
yeah, i imagine some trichomes would come off on your finger. I never actually break stuff up by finger, it's just a somewhat vague measurement of dryness that i use now and then.

reece said:
Why does it have to be as fast as possible? There is no sound, little to no smell which dissipates quickly, and it is easily hidden. Take your time and enjoy yourself. I think the objective is to get your medication without alerting others. ;)
In my case, vaping fast is pretty important to not alerting others. Especially when i vape at work or somewhere where I usually go to the restrooms to do so. If my stuffs dry and ground well, i can go grab a few hits and be where i need to be in the time it takes most ppl to go #1, but if I dont, it takes me a good while and ppl will think that it's odd i'm taking 5-10 min bathroom breaks regularly through the day. And if i'm vaping in public or anything, i want to have to raise the LB to my mouth and hold it there as few of times as possible to reduce the risk of being noticed. Grabbing 2 nice thick hits usually works out better for me than 5-6 thin puffs. maybe my LB doesnt get as hot as others, i dont know.

reece said:
I think amount of surface area is more important than moisture content. The only reason I see for drying is that it is easier to break down to smaller pieces. So if you can get the increased surface area without drying, why not?
yeah, i'm also pretty sure thats the biggest factor, exposed surface area. I think the difference between vaping almost powdery herb and almost powdery herb thats a bit drier would be pretty minimal, the first hit will probably be a bit thicker w/ drier stuff since it wont need dried out during the hit, but thats not too important, i agree. But, as you said, it's mainly just that the stuff i get needs to be dried to some degree in order to get it to the consistency that I like it to be. You'll never find me putting mine in the oven or anything like that, but i wont be zip-locking it to preserve moist freshness either.

steiner666,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
God I love this site. You guys give so much great info.

But I've got to tell you, all this talk about "tasty puffs" (good one lo!) and powdery herb is making me want to run for my vape!!!!!

Thanks again everyone. I am avidly watching the mailbox in giddy anticipation.:brow:

momofthegoons,

Kweli

I had 2 additional energizer 2400mhz batteries that I started using for the magic flight box (peeled the protective shell and everything)

They worked fine for about 2-3 weeks, but now I cant seem to get a decent light/heat out of them. The light is VERY dim when i put them in. Im not sure if its a size thing, or if the batteries are tapped... but they are fairly new so i dont know how this could be the case..

Are there instances when the battery actually gets smaller and no longer provides a proper connection?

I only have 1 decent battery, and the rest (3) dont give me anything near the first one

Thanks

Kweli,

B.

War Criminal
if you have a higher quality battery charger, you can do a refresh cycle, which has been known to breathe life back into batteries.

I just grabbed some random energizer batteries cuz mine keep disappearing. When I got them home I did a discharge/charge cycle in my charger, which drains the batteries and then charges them up, letting me know their capacity. The 4 ranged from 1200 mAh to 1900 mAh, but they were rated at 2300 mAh. I then did a charge refresh cycle, which I think drains and recharges many times, but who knows what magic it works. It took almost a day to complete, and when it was done the lowest rating I got was 2500 mAh and the high was 3000 mAh.

I use a lacrosse BC-9009. I found out later that these sometimes have meltdown issues, but mine's worked like champ in the 4 months I've owned it. If I melt down, I'll let ya know.

B.,

Maulie

I hope you don't mind if I interject a couple of cents into the thread! :2c:

I've never owned a vape before, and had only ever heard of the Volcano- and not because of what you would think! http://www.vapeworld.com/volcano-vaporizer-cooking

I just wanted to say the entire experience was awesome: the shipping was unbelievably fast, almost TOO fast- I wasn't expecting it and it got lost for a couple of days! The service was amazing; I had to email twice and call once because of prior speediness, and every time I had almost instant responses. The Box itself? Magic, is all I can say. After familiarizing myself with it for a few days, I decided to try it out near a friend of mine who is very dear to me, but very anti-smoke and claims to be extremely sensitive to it. I closed myself in the bathroom, pulled out my freshly loaded box and took about 4 hits. I then called him in to look at something, and admired the lack of reaction.

I've never had a problem with being without a battery, although tonight is the first time I've not been completely fastidious about keeping the batteries in the charger, and it's been all night!

At first I was concerned that I wasn't caching the herb completely, but thanks to the pics above, it looks like I'm right on track! I hear you can re-grind after the first pass, as long as it wasn't powder before, and still have another go outta it. We'll see!

This box is a beautiful thing. It will be a far more beautiful thing when people realize there's nothing to hide.

Maulie,

Lo

Hi Maulie and welcome to FC!!

Glad you're enjoying your LB.... It is a wonderful little thing :D and yes, the stealth factor is HUGE!!!

Lo,

xenith

Am I the only one who is getting lousy response time from the BlissVille team? Response to my first email took 2 days, and I sent another one yesterday that hasn't been replied to yet.

EDIT: By the way, thanks to everyone for the tips on here. Special shout-out to Darth Vapor for that legit AeroChamber idea :o

xenith,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Dry it naturally for a couple days. In the LB, you can crumble the load down further after one or two hits to increase surface area when needed.

With the new adapter coming out soon for LB in car and at home use i likely would stay away from the 15minute Energizer charger. Those type tend to really cut down the life expectancy of the batteries. I think even Magicflight themselves discourage the 15 minute charger. Also FYI, Energizer batteries never seem to be as high rated as their label indicates. 2400mhz usually are barely over 2000 when brand new in my experience. My :2c:

IAmKrazy2,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Kweli said:
I had 2 additional energizer 2400mhz batteries that I started using for the magic flight box (peeled the protective shell and everything)

They worked fine for about 2-3 weeks, but now I cant seem to get a decent light/heat out of them. The light is VERY dim when i put them in. Im not sure if its a size thing, or if the batteries are tapped... but they are fairly new so i dont know how this could be the case..

Are there instances when the battery actually gets smaller and no longer provides a proper connection?

I only have 1 decent battery, and the rest (3) dont give me anything near the first one

Thanks
Were they those grey ones with a bit of green on them that come with a silver 4-battery charger? I had some that i got at walmart, exact same amp rating or whatever, and had used in my digital camera for about a year or so (didnt see that much use really). When i got my LB i cut the labels off (they came off really easy, no adhesive, which was the only thing good about them) and tried them out, the 2400's and the 2000's both lit the LED very dimly, even though they seemed to be making solid contact. Tried charging them overnight in their charger and same deal next day. Tried charging them in the charger that came with my box and still dim.

Seems energizer is just a brand to avoid. I've always preferred duracell between the two, but i'm not sure how their rechargeables work in the box either. Thankfully, the 2 included batteries have been more than enough to get me through my days until i get home to my desktop vape, so i can take my time deciding on a decent set of spares.

can't wait for that power adapter!

steiner666,

Wolface

The two batteries that come with the magic flight are sanyo eneloops. They perform very well in this device indeed!:)

Wolface,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
xenith said:
Am I the only one who is getting lousy response time from the BlissVille team? Response to my first email took 2 days, and I sent another one yesterday that hasn't been replied to yet.
yeah I don't think your the only one. I emailed them last night about a broken launchbox and still haven't got a reply. Although I think I should give them a bit more time (at least until the day is over). They are a great company with amzing customer service. I hope the reason why it's taking them a bit longer is because they are busy working on the new power adapter. :D

HighSti,
Top Bottom