The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

AWistfulNihilist

There are a few tutorials on YT that explain how to assemble it and what everything is. Panic and I have both made one. A few other users are in the process of putting some material together as well. It actually takes longer to watch the vid that it does to assemble.

At some point I do plan on putting together a document that shows each step - haven't gotten that far yet :)

I apologize in advance for my poor video skills, hahaha. To see the wire detail that isn't visible in the video because of my crap webcam, scroll up on this page to post 159.

If you follow my guide please check out the timestamps in the description. They include some notes on building the unit in addition to regular time stampiness.

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer

elykpeace

exVASted
FUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

@RedEyeFlightControl i just was wiping the bulb and i guess twisted the prongs too much and snaped one off glass

dang it! i really wanted to get this thing hooked up where can i get a replacement bulb. going away today for the 4th so i guess ill come back to it. sucks sooooooooooooooo much gosh!

Satco S3121 50 Watt 900 Lumens T4 Halogen GY6.35 Base 12 Volt Clear Light Bulb, Dimmable​

on amazon those ok?

Last edited:

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
FUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

@RedEyeFlightControl i just was wiping the bulb and i guess twisted the prongs too much and snaped one off glass

dang it! i really wanted to get this thing hooked up where can i get a replacement bulb. going away today for the 4th so i guess ill come back to it. sucks sooooooooooooooo much gosh!

Satco S3121 50 Watt 900 Lumens T4 Halogen GY6.35 Base 12 Volt Clear Light Bulb, Dimmable​

on amazon those ok?

Here's the part spec from the BOM:

The bulbs can't be over 10-11mm in Dia, .5" is 12.7mm and may be a clearance issue.

Edit - they appear to be OOS on these, I'm ordering a set of these to validate:

Bulb dia on these is 10cm so they should work.

Last edited:

elykpeace

exVASted
ok i think i found some. 10mm in diameter 12 v and 50 watts i cleaned the fw7 to sell and was planning on bringing this. oh well at least i have something to look forward to when i get home a 10 pack will keep my clumsy self in the game

Last edited:

MUSA Vaporizer

Love, Peace and Harmony
Manufacturer
Dear people,

you must be extremely careful WHICH halogen lamp you use.
Some are not safe for inhaling due to toxic outgasing. (I experimented with some different brands while constructing the MUSA)
I can highly discourage from experiments in this direction.

Stay healthy my friends!

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Dear people,

Some are not safe for inhaling due to toxic outgasing. (I experimented with some different brands while constructing the MUSA)

Stay healthy my friends!
Can you elaborate on your testing methods? How did you discover this, and what can others do to stay safe? I'm not aware of any quartz that can offgas, so I'm guessing this is ROHS/ pin related?

elykpeace

exVASted
yeah the ones i got say mercury free. im interested in what bulbs in the herbalizer i just fired up. not portable but halogen heating is something special

edit: going to use my blue vvps i used for my UD and WS

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Keep an eye on the inside of the bulb to see if it turns milky by time.
A very short life may also indicate this sircumstance.

The milky white you're speaking of - is this tungsten trioxide on the inside of the quartz package from the filament burning up? Or something else? The bulbs are sealed, so I would not expect that to escape unless there was a catastrophic failure. The risk of which is greatly reduced by running the bulb in the sputter zone under 50% load.

What toxins were identified outside of the bulbs in testing and how were they identified? I'm interested in obtaining the testing equipment and understanding this process to add to The Lab.

AWistfulNihilist

Dear people,

Stay healthy my friends!
Do you keep data? I would love to see this!

For those who want to learn more about his a tungsten halogen light works:

This is a decent write up. A halogen light is a vacuum-sealed, quartz-bodied, the tungsten itself wouldn't offgas at the temps were running it, and the vacuum is required for the operation of the light.

Where is the offgassing coming from? Very interesting, looking forward to your reply!

Darkfighter101

Just got mine put together and heated up. Power supply finally showed up. Completely fucked up the bending of the lab clamp. Definitely going to order an 18mm male stand for it.

The vapor density on the first few hits is putting me on my ass. Only vape close in my collection is the elev8r. Easily outdoes my EQ or Mighty on the same rig. Pairs very well with the goo roo 3 piece bubbler.

I have a feeling restocks are going to keep selling out for a while.

Red what you said about the light from it being bad to tell if your bud is still green is spot on. Kept thinking I haven't gotten my full extraction just to put it under a different light and have it be significantly darker abv.

Thoroughly enjoying the device.

Last edited:

3migo

Is this a...what day is this?
Been using my HLT now for a few weeks pretty regularly. So far, fit on everything has stayed tight, and I've been consistently impressed by the performance. I've found that I prefer to run mine at about 6.9-7 volts, with at least a 10 minute heat soak. At that, I'm able to get a consistent 2 hit extraction off a basket pack.

What's interesting is that the vapor signature of the HLT is quite different from anything else I've tried. The Halogen heat source certainly provides something unique that I haven't found with other convection desktops.

Looking forward to seeing the designs for heat shields that different makers come up with!

Spike11552

Crapppppp! I slept on it and now it’s sold out 😩. I haven’t checked fc in a few weeks and thought to myself...hmm I wonder how that highlighter is coming along. Ahhh it’s probably not for sale for the public yet. I was wrong dammit! I gotta get my hands on one of these bad boys...please let us know when you get them back in stock! I think that’s super cool to build your own unit. I’m happy to see the hype is getting out and people love it.

Darkfighter101

Crapppppp! I slept on it and now it’s sold out 😩. I haven’t checked fc in a few weeks and thought to myself...hmm I wonder how that highlighter is coming along. Ahhh it’s probably not for sale for the public yet. I was wrong dammit! I gotta get my hands on one of these bad boys...please let us know when you get them back in stock! I think that’s super cool to build your own unit. I’m happy to see the hype is getting out and people love it.
Join the newsletter. Its how I found out and snagged mine.

oldfool

I had to push the screen back about 1/4" to fill some space. Couldn't get the bulb up any further.
Finally, I got it right. Reassembled for the fifth time.
8 grams of ruby balls, bulb centered perfectly and everything packed nicely all the way at the end of the tube.
I only thought it was working good before. 6.15V is giving me full extraction and toasty brown AVB.
Won't have to take this apart again until the bulb burns out.

oldfool

@oldfool is this with your isolated inlets?
Yes
Did you change those horizontal slits for vertical ones in the end?
Using the horizontal slits. You can see the ceramic bulb holder through the slit.
I liked the longways slits but I dropped it and it broke.
Did it affect performance?
Never tried it stock. :uhoh:
Another reason I did this is so I can put it in a sealed bottom heat shield.

IMG-2508.jpg

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
@oldfool led me to this, I think it might hold the HighLighter better since it has wider slots?
And, I would have it so it sat opposite the way the utensils sit in the image below, so that the "open end" is sticking over and in juts air while most of the body rests on the silicon. What do y'all think?

oBdqHFD.jpg

tcije4F.jpg

cGmrVpC.jpg

I picked up one of the smaller silicone rests, and am liking it so far for naked cores. It seems to work well and is a very accommodating size. Here's a test run with 4 hot cores for a video I shot earlier - I feel swanky, this thing is pretty rad.

1625290378031.png

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Broke my heater core before I could get it in the holder. =(
Hope they get some replacements in stock.

IMG-2510.jpg
I put a few extra in stock for ya. I'm only listing parts as needed since part sales take away from kit sales, and I'm trying to get as many kits out as I can while I have supplies in stock for round 1.

Top Bottom