The HI

PB88123

Vaporist

Yes, mine is loose. When stirring I just hold it down. Maybe Alan could make an all glass turbo tube with a built in glass nipple.

This was in post #1645

8vamX.jpg

PB88123,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
O boy u bwade wunner,,,,you went and did it......'A.r Su...y' was actually banned from the HI thread back on page uh...... I know it was banned on page, hmmm. I forgot, but someone said 'there was to be no more mention of them'. I swear. :nod:

Jeppy,

panasonic

so I know this is super unlikely, but if one were to leave one of these on and it happened to fall into a pile of paper or clothing, would those items catch fire? Can anyone test this by stuffing some TP into their HI?

panasonic,

u bwade wunner

Are you serious jeppy?.I was thinking Jeez what the f.. am i liistening too .My ears hurt..It definitely needs removing.any objections in the next 10 or its gone:uhoh: .Even Rod stewart is better than that.:)

Seeing as we are talking Glass I put these two beasts together and created

Gnome-Nipple or Narsil, reminds me of it so i stuck it on my game and shot it
20120626175734.jpg

u bwade wunner

Panasonic:
so I know this is super unlikely, but if one were to leave one of these on and it happened to fall into a pile of paper or clothing, would those items catch fire?
Its not likely.the heat port is recessed in wood and the wood does nt get hot enough under normal working conditions..
keep it 0 - 14V max and it should be fine.
Heat is always a danger.keep it safe and away from little hands.the usual things associated with a heat tool.

Sit it on something fire retardant like a nice piece of marble if you are worried about Fire.

The bottom 1/3 of thr Hi remains cool always so I just pop it on a coaster so theres no chance of it marking furniture.

u bwade wunner,
Reactions: Tracy Mike

HoneyAir

As the book Fahrenheit 451 indicates, that is the temperature at which books burn (232 Celsius). Log vapes tend to be at about 385 degrees F, so it is not hot enough to set anything on fire. I have yet to hear of a single incident of fire resulting from a log vape.

HoneyAir,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
u bwade wunner,,,,you have gained much favor throughout the 'HI' Galaxy my Redhearted HI Saber wielding friend. :tup:

Jeppy,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks for posting the tube photos PB88123. The glass nipples are a nice way to roast. So you must be using the spare silicone sleeve as the seal to the 14mm gong. So many different ways to configure the tubes. It might be tough to get the glass nipple built into the all glass tube and still make the screen replaceable. I could try to make one with the screen and nipple fused into the glass bowl.

staticsunn - Sorry to hear about the VVPS. They were a relatively new product to the market. I'm having trouble finding any more of them, so it is possible there were too many failures and they have stopped making them. I am going to have to find another option anyhow. That is the risk of trying something new sometimes. The tattoo machine will do a fine job of powering the HI. Rick is using a standard plug end on his cords, so it will fit. The only reservations I have about the tattoo machines are that they have the capacity / ability to provide more voltage than the HI needs. An accidental bump of the knob (maybe while dusting) could provide too much voltage which could damage the heating element. Accidents do happen sometimes though. If you do happen to damage the heating element, the repair can be performed by you with a new screw in heating element using the provided heating element removal tool. No need to send in the entire unit for the repair. It takes about 5 minutes or less.

Vapinghole - Looking forward to hear how your new VVPS works with the HI. Glad you are having fun with all the different roasting tube combinations.

Jeppy - Thanks for posting the awesome video.

u bwade wunner - Hope you get some nice roasting from your all glass tube. The bowl is similar to the original glass tip or your wooden tube. Very good airflow. Love the glass nipple gnome. Very sexy.

panasonic - I recall a video of Tom demonstrating the safety of a PD with a piece of TP. The heating element in the HI is identical to the one in the PD. The capacity for heat generation is identical for all log vapes using this same heating element. The heat output is dependent upon the voltage being applied. The nice thing about log style vaporizers is that they operate at 12 volts rather than 110 / 120 volts. I have had a piece of TP in my bamboo HI since I started typing this replay. The TP is turning light brown (like a nicely roasted marshmallow), but no combustion. The TP is covering the entire core and is poked into the center tube so it is getting the full heat. Placing the HI in a very well insulated container might cause some problems if the heat is allowed to build up too much.
The failure mode for the heating element is a broken resistance wire. Once the wire breaks, there is no more heat energy flowing and no more heat being generated. A safer condition as a result of the failure.

tuscan tins

Hmm.. I've got my HI hooked up to a "12V Regulated Power supply." It says 12V on the front, rated at 13.8V on the back, and my multimeter reads 14.1V. My HI core is glowing, is that ok? :shrug:

tuscan tins,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
wow thats way too high. my max of 12.4 is good enough for hash. so i think you should not use that psu.

ilovebOObs,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Hmm.. I've got my HI hooked up to a "12V Regulated Power supply." It says 12V on the front, rated at 13.8V on the back, and my multimeter reads 14.1V. My HI core is glowing, is that ok? :shrug:

A glowing core is not a good thing. I find that the 12.4 volts is about the most I ever need. 14 volts for a short (initial heat up) should not hurt, but not good for long term life of the heating element.
The output of PSU's can be very different from what it reads. Always important to know the volts being applied. Shoot me an email so we can discuss a solution.

Thanks for another great video bOObs. Such nice toys you have.

Alan,

tuscan tins

I unplugged it! Guess I'll have to wait until I can get this tattoo psu! /me combusts :puke:

Edit: The HI on 14V is hotttttt :o

tuscan tins,

HoneyAir

My old Jameco powersupply with the PD did get up into the 14v range and made it run hot (probably around 400f) and then it finally failed [either that or I shorted it out as my PD rattled around].

You must have been joking about it glowing, right? ;)

Yeah, more heat would probably shorten the life of the heating element. Mine lasted with the PD a few years until it broke in half, and another PD owner reported the same. That is why making it so easy to replace is wonderful :) These resistors are very cheap, you can buy a few of them to stock up to be set for the next decade or two.

HoneyAir,
Reactions: cluffy

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
OK, this is getting bad. I'm really jones'ing for my HI, now that I'm on "The List".

You know though... being former military, I'm used to and like travel (Navy). Plus, I like meeting new friends (on certain conditions)... its been a while :(

That gives me a great idea! Spending time with like-minded people (those of us jones'ing on the waiting list). How about each of you, on the waiting list, give me your addresses and we can get to know each other on a personal face-to-face level. A typical days itinerary supplied, would be helpful to. Wouldn't want to pop in, while you're at Pilates. LOL!

However, us being such a friendly and tight-knit community... if you have spare keys hidden, I can let myself in. Please just make sure the kids aren't at home (creepy) and let your neighbors know, not to worry about your impending guest. To not even pay a second notice. Oh, I'm kind of shy to... so I would like our face-to-face to be, well... private. In fact, if you would like to meet at some remote location, national park, hiking trails... stuff like that... hey, I'm open.

Can't wait to meet you all and share our experiences on the HI waiting list. Cheers! :cool:

P.S. If you all want to plan a get-together, I have some relatives/friends with old large warehouses, not being used. We could plan around that. Heck, that would give me a chance to let you all get together in one place and for me to break free from my shell, making a grand entrance, after you all arrive. Though, to save costs... I would have to ask that you come alone. Might want to keep it private to, wouldn't want any witnes... uhm, party crashers, now would we? Goodness no!

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
BDV, you're effing awesome and fit in very well here. (:mental:) I'm glad you're jonesin' for your HI--you should be. Very much so--and I encourage you to jones more so you go more insane than you already appear to be. Because it's OH SO worth it. I love being a HI-Rollin', HIsaber-wielding, JedHI, and I too went a wee bit insane waiting for my HI. Got a nasty case of HIDS too (HI Deficiency Syndrome).

Folks, as advertised, I received my Hildbrandt VVPS and am reporting back. Rick does a tasty job rigging the cable, and the end fits perfectly into the HI. Take a look at this bad boy in the video below. In the short time I've had it, it's proving to be a very wise purchase, especially for an idiot like me that isn't technically savvy. Now, the fun part will be finding my preferences for low temp and high temp. The 'stock' VVPS Alan so graciously provides worked just fine, but I like the clear voltage indication and precise control. It's also a sturdy bastard, and the brushed metal is slick-looking, don't you think?

Alan, I love you. :love: There. I said it. Your invention brings great joy to my vaping life. Think I'll head up for a session now, in fact. :freak:

Edit: in the midst of said sesh, and golly gee wilikers the Hildbrandt is a welcome addition to my HI. Two thumbs up thus far. 11.4 volts = tasty. :) Care is needed as Alan indicates.

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Soo JedHI's, my Bocote has been shipped today and I am so stoked to go back to HIschool and learn the tricks of the JedHI masters. I spent the last day reading over this entire thread to get a feel for voltages and what to expect. I will definitely post pictures if i'm not in hyperspace defending the galaxy with lukeHIwalker :dog:

& May the HItides carry you all swiftly through oceans of endless vapor pounding magnitude :)

Top Bottom