Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Well i think im done with this thing. Have had the replacement for a week or so. The gasket is slipping out, not a huge deal since a lot of people seem to be experiencing this. And thanks to fc i was able to get it back in place. I just dont want to have to constantly have to re seat it.

But anyway, this replacement seems to run much hotter than my first one i barely got to use(maybe thats why) but i barely hold the button down have been getting not so great taste and my abv after some use is dark almost black. Darker than any vape ive ever used. Definitely not reaching combustion but i would say its damn near close.

I know their customer service is top notch, but this will be my second replacement in 3 weeks....not cool

Mynameismud,
Reactions: mckeen

ElPic

Take my money
Wasn't someone talking about issues with the heat button and having to hit it a certain way to work? I've got that going on right now :(

The half of the button near the mouthpiece is dead, but the other half works. I want to send it in to get fixed, but my 2nd battery just came today :/
Same here, email FF crew a week ago for that problem and I'm still waiting for a response!!

darkrom

Great Scott!
Well i think im done with this thing. Have had the replacement for a week or so. The gasket is slipping out, not a huge deal since a lot of people seem to be experiencing this. And thanks to fc i was able to get it back in place. I just dont want to have to constantly have to re seat it.

But anyway, this replacement seems to run much hotter than my first one i barely got to use(maybe thats why) but i barely hold the button down have been getting not so great taste and my abv after some use is dark almost black. Darker than any vape ive ever used. Definitely not reaching combustion but i would say its damn near close.

I know their customer service is top notch, but this will be my second replacement in 3 weeks....not cool

Makes me want to just keep my funky button one for now then, because otherwise mine is the ideal portable for me.

darkrom,

marduk

daydreamer
If you look at the teardown pics you can see the switch on the circuit board is slightly crooked, which might be the case here. If you're handy with a screwdriver, it could be a quick fix with a dab of silicone on the back of the button to close the gap between button and switch. :2c:

darkrom

Great Scott!
I tore it down and saw the button and switch. So I know that much is easy, but not sure what you are suggesting I do with the silicone to fix the button.

darkrom,
My button is a little weird as well, it seems it needs to be pressed nearly straight on, sort of has some wiggle top to bottom.
While this may prevent accidentally activation, I'm not a fan.
@marduk I like your idea, but it would most likely void the warranty unfortunately.

fernand

@Mynameismud I dunno, sorry to hear that, but I'm kind of a tweak and I expect new things to have teething pains. It's part of the communal journey.

If your contraption gets very hot, it's possible you can remedy that by opening it up, and you don't have to wait for a replacement. Worth trying, if things go badly you can always send it back in a basket, tell 'em it just "failed", all the screws done came out one evening, and the dog ate some of the parts, you know. Kidding aside, you could open it up if you have the little Torx screwdrivers. All of 5 screws. It's a joy to deal with a piece of gear that isn't Chinese-riveted/glued together.

Nothing as I recall in the warranty verbiage said that if you attempted to service it, it voided any obligation they have. It said that if you break it by improperly servicing it, then they are off the hook. That's different. I can see having this device for a while, and being on intimate terms with it, the way a proctologist gets to know his patient. Are we gonna send our vape to Washington every time the slightest thing goes wrong? Are we not men? (or women), (or whatever)?

@darkrom you too! Getcha yer Torx and open it up! If your switch was OK but is misbehavin' now, take a look if you can reseat it. That's most likely the problem. If the switch or outside actuator is somehow broken or out of shape, they should send you a replacement unit. [oops just saw that you already looked. So what is happening, why does it do that?]

@Mynameismud seeing as it's computer-controlled you wouldn't expect a lot of variation in the temperature regulation, so the most likely cause of out of spec temperatures is something with the coil, like a loop shorted out, or part of it is touching something. Who knows, it could be a bad part, but it's worth a look, I'd say, you're not likely to cause any damage. You can pick up little Torx drivers very inexpensively, the body takes a T6 and the porthole a T5 or T4.

Look at the photos on page 81 of this thread as a roadmap, and check the coil. Is it somehow screwed up? Is it leaning on the ceramic so part of it is "thermally challenged"? Is there a foreign element in there, like a loose screw or a small rodent? Hey, if there's nothing you can see, you've done your best, close it back up and send it to Them. Sound reasonable? Some people will say it's a waste of time. The way I see it, getting familiar with our equipment makes us better equipped to fully take advantage of it.

[later] The way the coil sits against the ceramic with no supports, there are a lot of possible ways for the heater assembly to settle. IMHO it's not surprising that some FireFlys are a bit hotter, and some a bit cooler. Be very careful and avoid touching the coil unless you have a clear plan.

------------------------------------------------
Since back to back msgs are apparently frowned on, here is an approach to a different issue: "vaping concentrates on the FireFly". If the little FF could do that, I'd be veery happy. Sorry if this method has already been discussed. I was getting despondent, eying the costly propositions all around us. A Mau Deeb? Looks good. $169 list without the power adaptor that they now say is sort of mandatory. That's like a whole nother $250 chunk, another vaporizer. The not-so-converted e-cig setups are mostly unusable. They sure didn't work for herb, and they barely work for wax, they mostly burn it. All the half-assed approaches out there ... and the good ones cost mo'

So, can the FireFly do it well? The way the Plenty does it (and we know THOSE guys are German and serious) is with a "liquid pad". The MFLB folks sell a little piece of fine screen that effectively does the same thing, for $20 (for which they also include a little soap-tray for other types of aromatherapy concentrates). With convection we need a deeper "sponge". For the FireFly, if you have some steel wool, or bronze wool, or any similar meshy thing made of metal, you can make a little pad for free. Maybe a dime's or a nickel's thickness. Disposable. The best dimensions can be experimentally determined for your specific materials. Ah, the sacrifices we make in the name of science.

Operation: a dab of wax or budder or melt or shatter is applied near the center with the appropriate tool. It can be kissed with a torch lighter, like a creme brulee, if the dab is big & loose, and you're about to go skydiving. The FF can then be used much as usual until the pad no longer emits goodnesses. A bit like sucking 1953 Chateauneuf Du Pape out of a sponge. A fine gauge metal wool offers long flat strands, and the liquified wax spreads nicely. I'm amazed at how far a little pinhead dab will go, and I think the taste is great, WAY nicer than when dabbing onto a red hot nail. Or trying to burn it on the coil in one of these "pens". The last Pen attachment I tried was emitting plastic fumes by the time the wax was fully melted.

Should a big dab bubble faster than the pad can absorb it, and melt down into the holes, not to worry. It's easy to open (5 screws, as per above) and clean up, nothing down there but ceramic and coil, no harm done. Next time use a fatter pad, or a smaller dab.

IMG_5570xcL_zps0db9c4b6.jpg

p.s. good idea to "condition" steel or bronze or whatever wool before use with a flame to burn off any chemical residues. That's where the colors came from on the one above.

Last edited:

Mrmrmrmr

Does anyone have experience buying this device from someone and then sending it in under the warranty ? Or is that a no go ?

Mrmrmrmr,

marduk

daydreamer
I tore it down and saw the button and switch. So I know that much is easy, but not sure what you are suggesting I do with the silicone to fix the button.

From your description where only one side of the button activates the switch, it sounded like the switch might be a little crooked on the circuit board. If one side of the back of the button mechanism wasn't making contact with the switch, then a little dot of silicone would "expand" the button to correct the size of the gap between button and switch on the side where there was no contact being made. If you've checked and the switch is not crooked, then it's a different story.

Vapzilla

@Mynameismud I dunno, sorry to hear that, but I'm kind of a tweak and I expect new things to have teething pains. It's part of the communal journey.

If your contraption gets very hot, it's possible you can remedy that by opening it up, and you don't have to wait for a replacement. Worth trying, if things go badly you can always send it back in a basket, tell 'em it just "failed", all the screws done came out one evening, and the dog ate some of the parts, you know. Kidding aside, you could open it up if you have the little Torx screwdrivers. All of 5 screws. It's a joy to deal with a piece of gear that isn't Chinese-riveted/glued together.

Nothing as I recall in the warranty verbiage said that if you attempted to service it, it voided any obligation they have. It said that if you break it by improperly servicing it, then they are off the hook. That's different. I can see having this device for a while, and being on intimate terms with it, the way a proctologist gets to know his patient. Are we gonna send our vape to Washington every time the slightest thing goes wrong? Are we not men? (or women), (or whatever)?

Wish this was the case but it does state that attempting your own repairs would void the warranty.
Here's a link to their warranty:
http://www.thefirefly.com/skin/frontend/default/firefly/doc/firefly_warranty_web.pdf

I'm also tempted to open it up as my switch needs to be depressed at dead center to activate the heat.

Does anyone have experience buying this device from someone and then sending it in under the warranty ? Or is that a no go ?

Sorry to read this myself, the warranty states that it's "not transferable".

http://www.thefirefly.com/skin/frontend/default/firefly/doc/firefly_warranty_web.pdf

I was thinking about buying a 2nd used one for back up, guess I won't!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vapzilla,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
@fernand thanks for the insight. Luckily ive got plenty of backups to help me out so Im just gonna send it on back. Dont want to risk screwing something up and voiding the warranty. Hopefully i can get one that works as advertised and ill think about keeping it. But at this point im thinking of just getting rid of it.

Glad other peoples are working for then though. Keep on vapin!

Mynameismud,
Reactions: WildChild

2 Paces

I'm hoping my replacement runs a bit hotter for me...

Last week I sent mine back. Mine wasn't as cold as yours (I could get light vapor, pretty sure yours couldn't get even that), but I never felt I was getting the results that everyone else was raving about.

After three weeks of not knowing for sure if mine was cool or if I was just expecting too much, I sent it back to them.

@WildChild all I can say is I hope you have the same experience I did. My replacement is a totally different beast. Unlike my first one where I had to preheat for 15 seconds or more to get any vapor at all, this new one needs only a couple of seconds to preheat and throws much denser vapor. My last one I had to hit it for the entire 30-45 seconds until auto shutoff every time to get hits. This new one I worry about combusting if I hold the button down for more than 10-15 seconds or so. It's nice to feel like this thing has too much power, unlike my other one that felt like it had too little. I no longer feel like I have to do everything perfectly just to get light hits.

So now I'm re-learning the FF from scratch after owning one for a month :lol:

But it's a much quicker learning curve with adequate power. I'm no longer just trying to get vapor from it, now I'm trying to get the best vapor from it.

So glad I finally decided to swap mine up. The verdict is in: it was not producing as much heat as it should have been.

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
Last week I sent mine back. Mine wasn't as cold as yours (I could get light vapor, pretty sure yours couldn't get even that), but I never felt I was getting the results that everyone else was raving about.

After three weeks of not knowing for sure if mine was cool or if I was just expecting too much, I sent it back to them.

@WildChild all I can say is I hope you have the same experience I did. My replacement is a totally different beast. Unlike my first one where I had to preheat for 15 seconds or more to get any vapor at all, this new one needs only a couple of seconds to preheat and throws much denser vapor. My last one I had to hit it for the entire 30-45 seconds until auto shutoff every time to get hits. This new one I worry about combusting if I hold the button down for more than 10-15 seconds or so. It's nice to feel like this thing has too much power, unlike my other one that felt like it had too little. I no longer feel like I have to do everything perfectly just to get light hits.

But it's a much quicker learning curve with adequate power. I'm no longer just trying to get vapor from it, now I'm trying to get the best vapor from it.

So glad I finally decided to swap mine up. The verdict is in: it was not producing as much heat as it should have been.
Thank you, @2 Paces ... Very encouraging post! I certainly hope mine perferms as as well as yours.

My 1st one wasn't exceptionally cool, but just not quite there...frustrating.

Happy to hear you are now getting what you need. :)

Vapor X

You are making me think about my own FF experience, especially being new to vaping. I do notice the difference from starting out cold and having the FF already hot.

I just did two rips with two big clouds in less than a few minutes after taking my ff off charge. The length of the draws were less than 30 secs per draw, so I think my unit is performing ok.

Vapor X,

ktom1991

Hey guys just noticed the toothpick fits nicely in the vapor groove.:2c:

Last edited:
ktom1991,

fernand

FWIW I read the Warranty as very specifically saying that it is void if the device is malfunctioning as a result of, i.e. DUE TO, our attempted repairs. It does NOT say that if you disassemble it without damaging it, or if it's broken prior to your disassembly, the warranty is void. Read point C carefully.

I asked about the warranty in connection with the units sold on e-bay that are new but may not be offered by an authorized dealer, and was told that they do not honor any warranty if the unit isn't purchased from them or an authorized distributor. I said that seemed unethical, as a buyer has no way to know who is and who is not "authorized". I doubt it would even stand up to legal scrutiny, especially since they refused to direct me to a listing of authorized dealers. It finally took them around ten minutes to confirm that a specific store I asked about was an authorized dealer. Be that as it may, I purchased a unit from that store, mercifully at a significant discount, but sadly without quite the warm fuzzy many people feel towards the company.

But I'm very happy with how it performs with both dry herb and concentrates. With a screen "hat" even tiny amounts of herb can be vaped. A steel/bronze wool "pillow" for concentrates is dirt cheap and disposable, no need to even burn it clean. Good excellent vaporizer.

Last edited:
fernand,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I decided I'm going to warranty it. Its been acting a bit wonky lately since the button went half dead. I spent too much money to try to fix it myself and break it. I can wait. I just hope they email me back soon.

fernand

@darkrom please keep us informed, if the new one is different etc.

When I read about @Mynameismud's and 2 Paces' problem being too much heat, I have moments of weakness, I admit, in which I think of "sending it in". But what's the cause?

What happened next was I moved my coil ever so slightly so it was more floating, more free and clear of the ceramic, and now I've just had a session in which the ABV is darker and the vapor came easier. Hmm.

Seems the coil resting position is a bit of a crap shoot. Could the cause for variation be as simple as this? I mean, as an alternate explanation, can we imagine the boys in production not cutting the coil wires to the same length, and instead just winding 25 turns on a screwdriver and calling it close enough? Maybe if they cut them to length before they wind them, they sometimes end up wasting a coil, so maybe now they just count the turns, cut 'em, and crimp 'em in?

2 Paces

When I read about @Mynameismud's and 2 Paces' problem being too much heat

I don't have a problem with too much heat. My original problem was not enough heat. I received a replacement FF yesterday that has plenty of heat, but not too much.

Sorry if I made it sound like the new one has too much heat, I just meant that it took some getting used to after using a cooler one for three weeks. It's definitely not too hot.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Mine must be just right, I combusted once when it was new and haven't since. I haven't had any issues with the foam seals, or the silicon window seal either, but then again I use common sense when cleaning it.

I like the top screen because it keeps the window clean, no other reason. I don't see the point of an extra bottom screen because it doesn't gunk up, and a basket would just make the bowl even smaller so that's out as well. For myself I wouldn't mind if the bowl was a bit bigger, definitely no smaller.

Anyways I know everybody has different preferences and experiences, just sharing mine.
:tup::tup:

grokit,

fernand

We good here. I'm just wondering why they would vary.

It really does the job here and I've recommended it to friends. I use a basket on top of the load to hold down small portions.

fernand,

fogbank

I also wonder why they vary. Some of the variation in vapor production among units is clearly attributable to user perception, since we are all relying on anecdotal information, but some is clearly manufacturing defect. After initially thinking my unit was cool, I now consider it perfect, and wouldn't trade it in for anything :).

I can get great results every time. I can even vary my technique just for fun, and still end up satisfied. It still feels like a "quality" unit.

I do think it ranks pretty high on the maintenance scale though. I seem to need to clean it a lot, and it always involves ISO and swabs, tissue, etc... Not that I think it affects functionality, it just doesn't look very nice after it's been used a couple of times. The brush only does so much.

It's only "semi portable" for me, as I never take it out of the house. I will probably end up getting another battery plus charger, as it needs frequent recharging.

My biggest complaint about the Firefly: it has ruined me for all my other vapes. I hardly even pick up my wonderful Solo anymore. The Pax is sitting untouched. I don't want to use anything but the damn Firefly!

fernand

I can confirm that the improvement on my unit from (delicately) fiddling with the coil is not a placebo effect. I'm getting visible vapor now on the first drag, and I can easily drive the ABV to a brown dry tobacco like shrunken residue, with black spots if I push it.

The FF is always great in that it gives me access to the "top fractions" that smell so good, and are somehow "airier" in effects. I can then choose how much further to distill, or stop there. A lot of vapes rip past that fraction too fast, no control.

Now about "common sense when cleaning it". I don't think so. Isopropyl alcohol is the recommended (and supplied) solvent. It happens that the recommended solvent dissolves the adhesive on the top gasket! And not everyone is equipped to re-seat it. Not very "common sense", and it's a lot of wasted warranty repairs. I suppose it's no big deal for them; the warranty stipulates that the customer pays for all the shipping. I haven't tested the lower big flat gasket yet, but if isopropanol dissolves that adhesive as well, it's more than inexcusable. Has anyone's big gasket come off? has anyone heard of a fix, or any word from the company?

Last edited:
fernand,

grokit

well-worn member
What I meant was that it's common sense not to saturate the gasket's adhesive with iso, because for me at least it's pretty obvious that would dissolve the adhesive. Since the gasket doesn't get dirty why hit it with iso, all that needs cleaning are the metal and glass parts. I've kept my ff sparkling clean, and have never had to re-seat any gasket. I would hope that once you make the error of putting so much iso on the gasket that the adhesive dissolves, that you wouldn't repeat that same action expecting a different result.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Now about "common sense when cleaning it". I don't think so. Isopropyl alcohol is the recommended (and supplied) solvent. It happens that the recommended solvent dissolves the adhesive on the top gasket! And not everyone is equipped to re-seat it. Not very "common sense", and it's a lot of wasted warranty repairs. I suppose it's no big deal for them; the warranty stipulates that the customer pays for all the shipping. I haven't tested the lower big flat gasket yet, but if isopropanol dissolves that adhesive as well, it's more than inexcusable. Has anyone's big gasket come off? has anyone heard of a fix, or any word from the company?

If the "top gasket" you refer to is the round gasket on the outside port window assembly, it's not held in place with adhesive, at least mine isn't...it sits in a groove and is held in place by the pressure of the port assembly. Alcohol doesn't dissolve adhesive causing it to unseat...ff the Torx screws are a bit loose and you clean the window, with or without iso, by putting sideways pressure on either side of the glass, the window can move laterally, slightly, enough to unseat the gasket. You can minimize this risk by a. tightening the screws slightly, not too much, prior to cleaning and b. using a swab on the window and never rubbing it sideways to remove resin. (FF has also told us never use iso on the outside of the FF.)

As for the big grey silicon seal gasket on the lid, I wipe it gently with a damp paper towel with some iso, a very small amount. It's never had any issues. The few folks with seals that came away from the lid seemed to have insufficient adhesive as they peeled away even without iso being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom