Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty_honest

After cleaning with ISO...do you just let it all dry? How long is it taking most of you before you start using the FF again? The pads that come with the FF are 70% (or so) rather than 90+% if that makes any difference. Do any of you recommend a special wipe that I could use to speed up the process? To that end, have you all start seeing small scratches on the inside steel? Any recs to fix these or it is just going to happen from normal wear and tear? Thanks everyone!

Shiggity

I have a small (3inch) plastic spray bottle filled with 95% ethanol. I put a cue tip head up the the nozzle and pump to wet the tip. I use that to clean the insides of the FF and by the time I am done wiping the alcohol is basically gone. I wait maybe 30 seconds and proceed on to the next vape.

hoyo77

There 'problem place' on the Firefly where residue may build-up and it is rather hidden.

It is the gap between the glass bowl and the steel bottom. Debris will get in there and build-up and reduce your airflow 'over time' pretty damn quick. It turns to a resin/sticky goo if not removed.

Be on the lookout for this. I had a some hidden in the gap.
Yes i will be on the lookout for that..and thanks for the PM greatly appreciated.

tufftitty

After cleaning with ISO...do you just let it all dry? How long is it taking most of you before you start using the FF again? The pads that come with the FF are 70% (or so) rather than 90+% if that makes any difference. Do any of you recommend a special wipe that I could use to speed up the process? To that end, have you all start seeing small scratches on the inside steel? Any recs to fix these or it is just going to happen from normal wear and tear? Thanks everyone!

I use 91% on a qtip.

Yes scratches, not anything that you can really do. It's normal IMO

@steama how did you clean out that area

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
There 'problem place' on the Firefly where residue may build-up and it is rather hidden.

It is the gap between the glass bowl and the steel bottom. Debris will get in there and build-up and reduce your airflow 'over time' pretty damn quick. It turns to a resin/sticky goo if not removed.

Be on the lookout for this. I had a some hidden in the gap.

You mean the teeny groove around the bowl? How do you clean it? I use a combo of paper towel with iso and blowing on the groove. But any tips, I'm all ears.

It evaporates instantly. I use the FF within minutes of a cleaning.

Hey UPS is here with my Vatra case. Gotta boogie. :D

hoyo77

You mean the teeny groove around the bowl? How do you clean it? I use a combo of paper towel with iso and blowing on the groove. But any tips, I'm all ears.

It evaporates instantly. I use the FF within minutes of a cleaning.

Hey UPS is here with my Vatra case. Gotta boogie. :D
Which case did you get? i got the double decker and i am finding it a bit small

hoyo77,
Reactions: mckeen

mitchgo61

Which case did you get? i got the double decker and i am finding it a bit small

Same. It's a bit small, but will work for the FF.

No the gap at the bottom of the glass where the screen slides in. I was doing a thorough cleaning and removed the screen I noticed a significant build-up on one edge between the glass and the steel bottom with the heating orifices. I bent a pin a bit less than 90º and gently, very gently, removed the residue.

Then I decided to try something out. I place the Firefly backwards in my mouth (screen end) and pulled as hard as a could and got a fair amount of herb dust. Herb particles little, by little, will make their way into the inside of the Firefly. Not that it matters but it is good to know. I am pretty sure opening it up to clean this fugitive herb dust out would void the warranty but I'm not sure.

Interesting. A good blow into the bowl should dislodge debris as well. Thanks as always steama!

Last edited by a moderator:

hoyo77

I would just like to say, I LOVE THE FIREFLY! :love:It has changed the game for me. The speed , power , and grace of this thing are unmatched:tup:
Yes it has. i hate to say it i have put my other portables down to explore the nuiances of the FF. Every session is different and more pleasurable.

@steama gave this bad boy a thorough cleaning and did not find any goo at bottom of the bowl. used swabs until the swabs wiped clean. Getting ready to take it for a spin with some Black Cherry Kush...they say this strain is good for ADHD...so if it works that means i will be able to focus on hitting my FF all night....hmmmmm lets put that theory to test!!

mitchgo61

Yes it has. i hate to say it i have put my other portables down to explore the nuiances of the FF. Every session is different and more pleasurable.

@steama gave this bad boy a thorough cleaning and did not find any goo at bottom of the bowl. used swabs until the swabs wiped clean. Getting ready to take it for a spin with some Black Cherry Kush...they say this strain is good for ADHD...so if it works that means i will be able to focus on hitting my FF all night....hmmmmm lets put that theory to test!!

Yes, steama's tip got me off my "don't need to change the screen" train and I popped out the screen (not all that easy, frankly...hard to get enough of a grip on the mesh with the plastic toothpick to really push the screen to the side). I, also, didn't find any significant debris or build up at the bottom edge, to speak of. I did notice that the edges of the screen had material built up all around the circumference, and that was inhibiting airflow slightly as the screen was a tiny bit thicker where it fit under the edges of the glass bowl. So while the main portion of the screen was completely clean, it's still worth changing to keep the airflow unrestricted.

Sarah's tip on putting in the new screen worked like a charm.

Raskin666

Doom Walrus
A friend came over and we blasted through 2 tasty bowls, no charring anymore. Once the unit is warmed up it hits really well. It's easy to overdo the button because the vapor really is so smooth and cool. The friend picked it up really quickly.
I do notice material pieces at the edge of screen. May try to clean it out.

Also, can anyone take a picture of their average ABV color they are getting?

Raskin666,

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
Please note that the FF screen is 5/8", not 1/2" like I previously stated. I'm using 1/2" with success but the 5/8" is a more secure fit.

Having said that I can simply drop in a new 1\2" screen without having to fidgit. It protects the oven bottom, goes in and out very simply and the fine mesh instead of the stock ultrafine seems to allow better airflow and more even ABV, IMO. I'm getter darker quicker now. And the screen has not once lifted off the bottom with a draw.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

Please note that the FF screen is 5/8", not 1/2" like I previously stated. I'm using 1/2" with success but the 5/8" is a more secure fit.

Good to know...I used one of the FF supplied screens.
It's easy to overdo the button because the vapor really is so smooth and cool.

Yeah, it is! That's how you end up with some charred bits. Or I should say that's how *I* end up with charred bits...leaning on the button a little too enthusiastically.

mitchgo61,

Volteric

Couple of observations:

1. I'm needing to clean this at least every 2 chambers.
2. For whatever reason, I'm not finding cleaning this unit as easy as I wished because you not only have to clear the chamber but also the window and pathways to clear away debris.
3. I def need to go with a medium grind. My grind must be to fine because between 1 and 2 above I am getting some debris in my mouth even though I am drawing slowly and not to strong.
4. I am getting about 4-5 inhalations per chamber each of which are cool, smooth and flavorful. Can't seem to manage anything beyond 5 tokes.

I'm not sure why, but just when I think I have the right technique I end up with inconsistent results. I still seem confused by the glow thinking it is a visual cue but not finding this to produce repeatable results. Does anybody know what I am trying to say or have any advice on technique and consistency?

Volteric,

Shiggity

I think your grind may be the culprit. No grind and subsequent mixing, breaking up with toothpick, or a medium handgrind works well for me in making the unit not so hard to clean. I do still use an ethanol qtip once a session to clean the channels and plates.

I tend to go for 4-5 inhalations and then change out the bowl when vapor production goes down.

Last edited:

Un Prophete

Couple of observations:

1. I'm needing to clean this at least every 2 chambers.
2. For whatever reason, I'm not finding cleaning this unit as easy as I wished because you not only have to clear the chamber but also the window and pathways to clear away debris.
3. I def need to go with a medium grind. My grind must be to fine because between 1 and 2 above I am getting some debris in my mouth even though I am drawing slowly and not to strong.
4. I am getting about 4-5 inhalations per chamber each of which are cool, smooth and flavorful. Can't seem to manage anything beyond 5 tokes.

I'm not sure why, but just when I think I have the right technique I end up with inconsistent results. I still seem confused by the glow thinking it is a visual cue but not finding this to produce repeatable results. Does anybody know what I am trying to say or have any advice on technique and consistency?

Totally agree. This thing is like a girlfriend, it's so high maintenance.

Un Prophete,
Reactions: Volteric

Volteric

I think your grind may be the culprit. No grind and subsequent mixing, breaking up with q-tip, or a medium handgrind works well for me in making the unit not so hard to clean. I do still use an ethanol qtip once a session to clean the channels and plates.

I tend to go for 4-5 inhalations and then change out the bowl when vapor production goes down.

Yup, I just got off the phone with the friendly FF folks and it sounds like I have a coupe issues that I'm hoping might help others.

Convection is conceptually new to me since I've really only used conduction. I didn't understand that warmed up air needs to pass through the material versus just heating a steel plate and baking the material. This is why too fine a grind is not optimal, namely there isn't enough pathways for the air to flow through. Exactly why 2 things happen: 1) Herb in my mouth and 2) a little hole in the bowl of material forms because the material is to closely bound preventing proper airflow so the unit forces a pathway which in turn makes material fly around in the chamber and thus into the pathways and into me throat!

One last piece of advice for noobs to convection like me. Don't overly rely on the glow to be your visual cue. Let flavor be your guide. It was recommended that I try closing my eyes and focus on a slow, steady draw and focus on the flavor. I think this is really good advice and look forward to trying this next session!

[URL='http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-of-the-firefly-vaporizer-thread.16628/'] [/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom