Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Well I just talked to Sarah C over the phone. I wanted to ask if I could come in person and pick up a unit. I figured I might have a shot since their office is located in Seattle. Turns out they are not set up for will-call at this time. I think the products actually ships from a different location not close to me. Anyway, I ordered a firefly. I should get it tomorrow... Overnight Saturday Delivery is cRaZy expensive. I am very curious to see how this device will work for my needs.

I have a coupe questions about certain aspect I have been reading about.

1.) Battery Life. They say 50 pulls... I see people saying 2 bowls or so. Is this still true after you get the technique down? How many pulls or sessions can you get from one battery?
2.) Pressing The Heat Button. What actually happens when you press the heat button... I have heard several different things. Do you have to press and hold to maintain heat? When you press does it go through a cycle? If you let go of the button does the heat stop or does it finish the cycle first?

The grinder I have makes everything just on the verge of powder, gonna go grab a new grinder in a few minutes. Thanks

Santa Cruz Shredder... best grinder ever by a long shot.

Last edited:

natural farmer

Well I just talked to Sarah C over the phone. I wanted to ask if I could come in person and pick up a unit. I figured I might have a shot since their office is located in Seattle. Turns out they are not set up for will-call at this time. I think the products actually ships from a different location not close to me. Anyway, I ordered a firefly. I should get it tomorrow. I am very curious to see how this device will work for my needs.

Santa Cruz is the shit, yes!!!

I am just making the order through phone and live chat!!! :whip: :party: :brow: YEEEES!!! Finally!

Complimentary shipping to Canada

Yes baby!!!

:bigleaf:

toros23

1.) Battery Life. They say 50 pulls... I see people saying 2 bowls or so. Is this still true after you get the technique down? How many pulls or sessions can you get from one battery?
2.) Pressing The Heat Button. What actually happens when you press the heat button... I have heard several different things. Do you have to press and hold to maintain heat? When you press does it go through a cycle? If you let go of the button does the heat stop or does it finish the cycle first?

1) When I first got my FF I was running out of battery at the end of my second bowl/session. I was preheating before each hit until the unit heated up, so not most efficient technique. My sessions consisted of about .10 of material with a SCS grind (I agree, is the best, especially for convection devices), about 5 or 6 good pulls to finish off the session. I have not had much time to test further since I got my Herbalizer last week. I bet some of these other guys in here can give a better answer and probably are getting a lot more out of their sessions with improved technique..

2)The button activates the heater instantly and the heater shuts off as soon as you release the button. The heater glows brighter the first few seconds the button is pressed and then glows dimmer. The heater shuts off after holding for a while, not sure how long though. Maybe 20 or 30 seconds?

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
2)The button activates the heater instantly and the heater shuts off as soon as you release the button. The heater glows brighter the first few seconds the button is pressed and then glows dimmer. The heater shuts off after holding for a while, not sure how long though. Maybe 20 or 30 seconds?

It continues heating as long as you hold it down. It does level off after a few seconds, and drawing makes it dim as you pull heat and hot air away from the bowl. But the heat continues as long as the button is depressed...only a dead battery or the overheating light will stop the heat if you hold the button down indefinitely.

EDIT: I stand corrected. After reading mckeen's post, i tried to get my FF to shut off by itself. I hadn't seen it do it before, and it isn't documented anywhere, but he's right...hold down the button long enough and it shuts off. Mine seems to shut off around the 45 second mark. (and yes, it dims even when you don't draw, but drawing seems to make it dim as well.)

Last edited:

dirty_honest

Love this thread. Great community!

Question regarding the removable wire mesh screen that's inside the bowl. When cleaning my Firefly, I got curious and wanted to see how easy it was to replace. It's somewhat easy to remove with the toothpick provided... but putting it back in was difficult / near impossible (especially if you aren't wanting to scratch the glass bowl). In fact, based on the instructions provided on the Firefly website, I tried using the aforementioned black stick but it ended up bending the circular mesh. Eventually I got it in, but it's not as nice as it could have been. I also fear that some small bits of wire mesh may have separated from it. Any thoughts on this? Any alternatives to using this mesh? Should I be opening up the main unit using a Torx T6? Anyone else having this issue? Would love to hear some expert opinions :)

Other than this, the Firefly is amazing! As many people have said, it's about finding the right balance, but once you do, the vape smoke is large and glorious. Remember, you ain't smoking a regular bowl. It's like sipping tea!

dirty_honest

PS: Has anyone posted the phone number for the Firefly customer rep? Sarah C? I can only seem to find an e-mail on their website. I figured that I would call them in case no one knew the answer... THANKS!

dirty_honest,
Reactions: woodrow

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Well I just talked to Sarah C over the phone. I wanted to ask if I could come in person and pick up a unit. I figured I might have a shot since their office is located in Seattle. Turns out they are not set up for will-call at this time. I think the products actually ships from a different location not close to me. Anyway, I ordered a firefly. I should get it tomorrow... Overnight Saturday Delivery is cRaZy expensive. I am very curious to see how this device will work for my needs.

I have a coupe questions about certain aspect I have been reading about.

Battery life; After getting my technique down it last over 5 bowls. For me that does the trick seems to be plenty of juice and only takes mine about 30 minutes to recharge. When you hold down the heat button she glows/heats strong for over the count of 10, then slowly tappers down a bit, stays on for about 20+ seconds and turns off. When you release the heat button in the middle of a cycle, it goes cold very fast. I never have had to restart the heat button in any session. Very nice and the price is right. Got mine for 269.00 free frt. an early bird 10% discount got me a free battery and charger.

Firefly (Sarah C.) 206-651-3900

Last edited:

mitchgo61

. When you hold down the heat button she glows/heats strong for over the count of 10, then slowly tappers down a bit, stays on for about 20+ seconds and turns off.

File under "learn something new everyday" but you are correct, it does indeed have an auto-shutoff feature. I hadn't realized it, or seen it work, before reading your post. But I tried it, and mine shuts off after 45 seconds, pretty consistently.

Thanks for the tip! The learning curve continues...

Last edited:

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
File under "learn something new everyday" but you are correct, it does indeed have an auto-shutoff feature. I hadn't realized it, or seen it work, before reading your post. But I tried it, and mine shuts off after 45 seconds, pretty consistently.

Thanks for the tip! The learning curve continues...

With a fresh battery charge, new unit, I get about 30 seconds per cycle. It' is enough for my lung volume. 45 seconds is much longer than my first unit, it was lucky to get 25 seconds.

mckeen,

mitchgo61

With a fresh battery charge, new unit, I get about 30 seconds per cycle. It' is enough for my lung volume. 45 seconds is much longer than my first unit, it was lucky to get 25 seconds.

Trust me, under normal usage, I'd *never* get to 45 seconds! Which is why I didn't notice the shut-off until I purposely held it till it shut off.

Again, nice feature. They should document it, somewhere. It's kind of a selling point.

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Trust me, under normal usage, I'd *never* get to 45 seconds! Which is why I didn't notice the shut-off until I purposely held it till it shut off.

Again, nice feature. They should document it, somewhere. It's kind of a selling point.

Yes, one would think that's part of their computer controlled never over 400° heat suppy. Should be in the literature.

mckeen,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
:mad:
WTF?????

FedEx tracking had my little red beauty at the local distribution hub (15 miles from my home)scheduled for delivery today when I checked last night.

This morning it says "on truck for delivery", but under that it says "Next Business Day" and the delivery date has been changed to Monday.
Spoke to a rep @FedEx and she told me that as it was sent "Home Delivery" and they don't offer Sat. delivery for that service.

Hmm...which days are people likely to be home? Workdays or weekends?
FedEx strikes again. :cuss:

llamaman001

Exactly why I only send out and recieve in USPS, if they dont offer it, I dont get it. I cant stand FED EX and UPS. I cant even count how many phone battles Ive had with both of those companies.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
WTF?????

FedEx tracking had my little red beauty at the local distribution hub (15 miles from my home)scheduled for delivery today when I checked last night.

This morning it says "on truck for delivery", but under that it says "Next Business Day" and the delivery date has been changed to Monday.
Spoke to a rep @FedEx and she told me that as it was sent "Home Delivery" and they don't offer Sat. delivery for that service.

Yea I had to pay $80 for home delivery on a Saturday...

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
WTF?????

That doesn't sound right. My Firefly showed up on Saturday before 11:30 a.m.

mckeen,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
That doesn't sound right. My Firefly showed up on Saturday before 11:30 a.m.

I think that regular ground or home shipments will be delivered on Saturday no charge. Express shipping does not provide delivery on Saturdays at no charge.

http://www.fedex.com/us/fedex/shippingservices/saturday.html

Anyway, FedEx guy just dropped the package at my door step... no signature required. He might have considered my written letter I leave when I expect packages as a signature.

Have it on the charger now.

I got the red one. Very solid looking device...

Last edited:

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
I think that regular ground or home shipments will be delivered on Saturday no charge. Express shipping does not provide delivery on Saturdays at no charge.

http://www.fedex.com/us/fedex/shippingservices/saturday.html

Anyway, FedEx guy just dropped the package at my door step... no signature required. He might have considered my written letter I leave when I expect packages as a signature.

Have it on the charger now.

I got the red one. Very solid looking device...

I just love the Red color. You will be more than Slightly Medicated after your first use. Unless you really have Iron lungs, then you'll just get toasted. :tup:

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Okay I got 5 almost 6 back to back sessions out of a single battery charge. Way more then I anticipated.. Here are my thoughts so far:

The bowl is fairly small, but that is okay considering I was looking for something to do quick sessions on the go.

I would consider 3 bowls/sessions out of the firefly to be the equivalent of one regular session for me out of a desktop vaporizer.

Heat time time is quite fast. I am still working on draw speed. I think I mostly have it figured out. Draw speed should be faster then I thought, but not so fast that it makes any noise. The first session ended with some charring of the flowers... not combustion, but close. I had it packed a little to tight and was drawing really slow. I need to keep experimenting with different draw speeds.

One session I thought it was not preforming well, but I did not have the lid seated properly on the body and some air was leaking in.

Taste and smoothness is really good... really really good. I did not find it to be harsh. Dry vapor is notoriously harsh for me.

The ABV was pretty even, although I bet if I was more diligent about shaking it between hits it would be more even.

If you have previous vaporizer experience I think this unit would be easy to use. I get good results with various draw speeds, and I can see with practice how you would be able to fine-tune the results for your needs.

Clean up is nice... after my sessions I wipe the lid and body down while it is still warm. It polished right up.

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
"Taste and smoothness is really good... really really good. I did not find it to be harsh. Dry vapor is notoriously harsh for me."

Especially for me the vaporizer's "taste and smoothness" are the most important conclusion.

What are you using for your "warm" cleanup? I know after releasing the heat button the thing cools down incredibly fast. I think warm cleanup would be much easier than waiting for it to cool as their instructions ask.

mckeen,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I carry around a handkerchief and just wipe it down right after I am done using it.

First, I clean the body part and wipe away the little vapor steaks that form. Then, I wipe the inside of the lid along the channels and that flat part in the middle. After that, I clean the lid window and around the grooves. Lastly, I clean out the bowl area. I blow out loose debris, and then I take one of the corners of my handkerchief and ball it up inside the bowl and gently twist it around.

That does a very good job of getting stuff clean and ready to go for your next session. I think the clear lid and the inside of the bowl will be the areas that will need a more deep cleaning on a regular basis. The clear lid tends to get resinous.

Once they get the external charger back in stock, I am going to pick up a couple extra batteries. That should allow me to use the firefly and charge spare batteries at the same time. I figure three batteries should last me most of a day out and about.

mitchgo61

That does a very good job of getting stuff clean and ready to go for your next session. I think the clear lid and the inside of the bowl will be the areas that will need a more deep cleaning on a regular basis. The clear lid tends to get resinous.

Right, I find the porthole assembly area needs iso...I just use a teeny amount on a paper towel. Issues with the gasket notwithstanding, pretty much both surfaces respond well to iso if you are judicious with it.

But I like the dry cloth idea...that is a great way to clean it between more thorough maintenance sessions. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I needed to RMA my firefly (#0014). The view-port gasket was protruding (pic) out of the box and quickly came dislodged.

http://i.imgur.com/vxiuzRN.jpg

Same thing happened to me... just like in the picture. Luckily, I have the proper tools to fix it. I was able to reassemble it and place the gasket back in place. It looks better then when I got it, I don't expect it should dislodged as easily now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom