Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-Life

Hii guys I realize that most of you are probably biased towards Firefly but for a first time vaper do you recommend the Pax by Ploom or Firefly?? Can someone tell me the differences between the two? Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask...

grokit

well-worn member
These guys seem to be doing it right. I was thinking that I wish I had ordered red, when I saw how cheap the replacement lids are. I would love to have a grey top and red sides, a 2-tone firefly!

Hii guys I realize that most of you are probably biased towards Firefly but for a first time vaper do you recommend the Pax by Ploom or Firefly?? Can someone tell me the differences between the two? Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask...

The pax is much more compact, has cool led lights, and can stretch out a bowl longer. But I prefer the firefly 100%. The taste of the ff is superior, the draw is much less restrictive, there's no moving parts, and maintenance seems much easier. And unlike the pax I actually enjoy using the ff, there's no contest for me.

Last edited:

Hi-Life

I am totally biased to the Firefly. I feel the vapor from the Firefly is much more clean than any conduction vape I have ever tried. I also prefer to apply power when needed instead of having a 'cooker style' conduction vaporizer bake the goodness out of my material. But I am seriously biased at this point I am only discovering more positive things about the Firefly. Seriously impressive.

The thing about the Pax is that is may be the best portable to hit the road with for many. It is small, light, and effective. Whereas the Firefly is heavier and larger, still portable, but not as portable as the Pax. I prefer the Firefly's vapor but on a long hike you may want to shed the weight of the Firefly.

I have a Volcano with me everyday. It is fantastic and always delivers satisfaction. That said the whole ritual of using the Volcano irritates me a bit. It is such a production getting the bag up and everything. By the time the thing is ready to go I am already getting tired of the crackling bag. The Firefly is so much more elegant and the vapor feels so much better than the dry heavy vapor from the Volcano bag.

I just like the Firefly as a daily driver better than the Volcano.

As a first timer using vapors in general do you think that the Firefly is right for me?? I have heard that it's kind of a hit or miss depending on if you get the hang of it. Also, I am going to be using it for weed, which unit would get me high more quickly using less weed?
Also, does this vaporizer work with oils?

Last edited:

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Hi-Life, the problem with the Firefly for a newbie is that it is all manual. It's rather easy to perfect the technique, but some take longer than others.

Plus, the FF being a portable with a small autonomy, it is likely that you will have some frustrating experiences getting the hang of it, or not!... some people get the hang of it quickly.

A conduction based vaporizer like the PAX will always be more wastefull because it keeps heating the load between hits.
The Firefly doesn't, and according to users here, after the hit you can even put a finger inside the bowl and it will be warm not hot.

Either than that, any unit can give a good experience, some just take longer and/or are more difficult to master.

natural farmer

The extra charger has disappeared from the site... Why??? :(

I am thinking of ordering a grey FF by the end of the week and was thinking of also getting the charger and extra battery if I can afford them...
Do you think just an extra bat would suffice. Since I only do one bowl at a time maybe I could use the FF to charge the extra bat as well... No?

Also, what payment methods does the site accept? I'm gonna have to put my European billing address, a Canadian shipping address of friends and my bro's Paypal info. Should I put my bro's billing info since it's his Paypal? What a mess not accepting international orders while they have all countries available in the site. I mailed them and I got the funny 110V excuse... How much shipping to Canada costs if there are any Canadian adopters here?

vorrange

Vapor.wise
NF, the 110V excuse is a joke. What they don't want to deal is having to warrant a product and have to pay shipping IMO.

I would get two extra batts, but first check if they don't sell on ebay or any other EU store at cheaper prices.

I don't think it would be more than 20USD unless its super express, but you can always check the post service website. I do it all the time with USPS,

natural farmer

NF, the 110V excuse is a joke. What they don't want to deal is having to warrant a product and have to pay shipping IMO.

I would get two extra batts, but first check if they don't sell on ebay or any other EU store at cheaper prices.

I don't think it would be more than 20USD unless its super express, but you can always check the post service website. I do it all the time with USPS,

Do you think I would find the same bats on eBay? Aren't they custom made for FF?
About the shipping, I don't know the weight and dimensions of the box plus bat... I am hoping for a Canadian owner to chime in on this. :)

EDIT: about the warranty I find it logical to initially want to avoid shipping costs but they are not really that different from shipping to Canada I believe... I can pay for return of course, we usually do for any vape nevertheless. And I wouldn't mind them doing some extensive QC to my unit to insure proper calibration... :p

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
As a first timer using vapors in general do you think that the Firefly is right for me?? I have heard that it's kind of a hit or miss depending on if you get the hang of it. Also, I am going to be using it for weed, which unit would get me high more quickly using less weed?
Also, does this vaporizer work with oils?

I love the FF, but personally, I wouldn't recommend it to a first time vaper. It's a bit tricky...some of us who've been vaping for years are still learning to use it after a couple weeks. There are too many weird variables to recommend it to a first-time vaper. Additionally, it's expensive. (And no, you cannot vape extracts in it.)

I tell new vapers, if they are looking for a portable, to start with the Solo. It's good value, it has almost no learning curve (I've handed it to first-time vapers who proceeded to pull large hits from it immediately), and it's an excellent, well-built unit. You can learn more about it in the Solo thread, but don't be intimidated by the talk of modifications....you don't need to do any modding to the Solo (and frankly my head spins from all the modding talk in that thread!).

However, despite vaping for nearly five years, I've only used 7 or 8 devices total in that time, so that's just my opinion. Folks here with a wider variety of vape experience may have different recs for you.

My only complaint after 10 days with the FireFly is the battery life.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they should be able to put it stronger batteries in the unit for the price we are paying.
The only thing I cannot imagine is how much electricity does the heating element consume. If there is an inefficiency there, that might be the only thing that prevents them to offer better battery life. However, if there exists better batteries they can use and they are not doing that, shame on them.
I also think the extra battery with the charger should definitely cost less. We already showed commitment by buying the product, don't be all greedy please. I just wanted to write all these for someone from FireFly to see and respond in action in the nearest possible future if possible at all.

tufftitty

I love the FF, but personally, I wouldn't recommend it to a first time vaper. It's a bit tricky...some of us who've been vaping for years are still learning to use it after a couple weeks. There are too many weird variables to recommend it to a first-time vaper. Additionally, it's expensive. (And no, you cannot vape extracts in it.)

I tell new vapers, if they are looking for a portable, to start with the Solo. It's good value, it has almost no learning curve (I've handed it to first-time vapers who proceeded to pull large hits from it immediately), and it's an excellent, well-built unit. You can learn more about it in the Solo thread, but don't be intimidated by the talk of modifications....you don't need to do any modding to the Solo (and frankly my head spins from all the modding talk in that thread!).

However, despite vaping for nearly five years, I've only used 7 or 8 devices total in that time, so that's just my opinion. Folks here with a wider variety of vape experience may have different recs for you.

So, I just wonder if I would fit the description of "new vapers" or first time vaper....I have a older vaporfection model (whip system) but I only use it once or twice a year.

At any rate, I'm ready for the learning curve (I think!), I know to use dry material, medium grind, and to pull the air over and thru the material,

Can you share some of the "weird variables"? And as far as it being tricky, am I right to assume all of that stuff has been discussed in this thread quite thoroughly?

Pardon me but I'm still waiting for mine to arrive and as a result I've become rather antsy, obsessively checking the tracking info and this thread lulz :p

I guess I just wonder if the learning curve is truly that steep

mitchgo61

Can you share some of the "weird variables"? And as far as it being tricky, am I right to assume all of that stuff has been discussed in this thread quite thoroughly?...I guess I just wonder if the learning curve is truly that steep

Yes, the variables I'm referring to have all been discussed here, at great (some might say tedious :ko:) detail. Just the usual...when to hit the button, when to release, how long to draw, grind and pack consistency. The learning curve is about average steep for a vape. Nothing you can't learn, nothing that should make you the least bit worried or anxious. You'll figure it out!

My point was, in answer to the question "would you recommend this as a first vape?", is that, no, IMO, it's not ideal for a first vape. Live with an easier vape like the Solo or whatever, get used to the whole process of extracting vapor, and then I think the FF is more appropriate.

mitchgo61

Just had a grinder shake-up at my house. My go to grinder has been a large Black Ti Spacecase 2.5". This is a great grinder and is usually finished grinding in a single back and forth twist. The only problem I had was it can grind too fine and it was for the Firefly (my opinion only). So I broke out my Mendo Mulcher 2.25" which does not grind as fine as the spacecase but produces a perfectly even medium grind which (my) Firefly seems to like better. It is nice that this old Mendo Mulcher works best for my new favorite tool.

This reminds me...the FF folks sent me TWO cheapo acrylic grinders (one with my replacement FF and one that mysteriously showed up a week later). They called me to tell me that they found cheaper plastic grinders were more appropriate for the FF because they resulted in a more coarse, medium grind.

I actually use my fingers to break down material in the FF. Using a grinder, even a cheap one, almost always results in more fine material than I wanna use in the early stages of a FF session.

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
This reminds me...the FF folks sent me TWO cheapo acrylic grinders (one with my replacement FF and one that mysteriously showed up a week later). They called me to tell me that they found cheaper plastic grinders were more appropriate for the FF because they resulted in a more coarse, medium grind.

I actually use my fingers to break down material in the FF. Using a grinder, even a cheap one, almost always results in more fine material than I wanna use in the early stages of a FF session.

The old fashioned scissors worked best for me. Sarah let me know that my new unit ships today. She also mentioned that they were talking to managers about the lose screws and a possible fix, I suggested lock tite rather than lock washers. And I didn't get a special grinder mitchgo61, lol.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I have been reading up on the Firefly, it sounds very interesting. The draw back for me is, it can't be used while plugged in. I use most of my portable vapes at home and on the go. Or if it had a separate plugin like the Solo has, so you can use it while plugged in even if the unit doesn't charge.

I like something that is easy to use. I don't want to have to clap three times and stand on my head to get my unit to perform, that being said, how it vapes my herb and how medicated I get is the most important thing as long as the learning curve isn't too steep. Far as the cost, it's only $30 more than the Pinnacle Pro or the Ascent.

For the time being I'm watching and waiting....

CarolKing,
Reactions: woodrow

natural farmer

I have been reading up on the Firefly, it sounds very interesting. The draw back for me is, it can't be used while plugged in. I use most of my portable vapes at home and on the go. Or if it had a separate plugin like the Solo has, so you can use it while plugged in even if the unit doesn't charge.

I like something that is easy to use. I don't want to have to clap three times and stand on my head to get my unit to perform, that being said, how it vapes my herb and how medicated I get is the most important thing as long as the learning curve isn't too steep. Far as the cost, it's only $30 more than the Pinnacle Pro or the Ascent.

For the time being I'm watching and waiting....

Why would you need a portable to be used while plugged in? I am hearing this for a long time now in various threads and I don't get it… This is why plug-ins are for, right? :\
Nevertheless, even if you use it at home it really doesn't matter much cause the recharging is very fast! How many bowls would you vape to get you where you need to be? You can do a couple of bowls with the Firefly's autonomy and then plug it in… It will be ready in half the time you will need another session normally... If your tolerance is high and you need more than .2-.3 grams for a session then this vape might not be for you… Why not get a powerful log like the nano or an SSV or an LSV? They are cheaper as well! :)
And Firefly isn't hard to use… If you can drive a car or ride a bicycle or even handle a TV then you can most definitely use most of the market's vaporizers with relative ease. It's not rocket science. A digital camera is harder to use by far! :p

EDIT: Hempy and healthy New Year everyone! :bigleaf:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Why would you need a portable to be used while plugged in? I am hearing this for a long time now in various threads and I don't get it… This is why plug-ins are for, right? :\
Nevertheless, even if you use it at home it really doesn't matter much cause the recharging is very fast! How many bowls would you vape to get you where you need to be? You can do a couple of bowls with the Firefly's autonomy and then plug it in… It will be ready in half the time you will need another session normally... If your tolerance is high and you need more than .2-.3 grams for a session then this vape might not be for you… Why not get a powerful log like the nano or an SSV or an LSV? They are cheaper as well! :)
And Firefly isn't hard to use… If you can drive a car or ride a bicycle or even handle a TV then you can most definitely use most of the market's vaporizers with relative ease. It's not rocket science. A digital camera is harder to use by far! :p

EDIT: Hempy and healthy New Year everyone! :bigleaf:
I do like the fact that this vape has batteries that can be charged up and replaced by the owner. I've heard some say that the battery was gone in between 5 and 10 draws, that seems like a short session if you're entertaining friends.

We all have our preferences and dislikes regarding a vaporizer, or a portable one at that. I can't make any judgements whether or not I would like it until I used one.

Thanks FC I appreciate everyone's opinion, that helps me in my decision whether or not it would appeal to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom