Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveryDayAmnesiac

Well, for the first time since I received my FF (late December), I took out the screen. And there was quite a bit of gunk down there. Most of it ISO's out, but a small stain remained that seems to be there for good. Doesn't seem to affect taste or performance, but... it is a stain. :disgust:

Get under those screens and clean, boys and girls! :myday:

imasinner

Just Some Loser
Headed back to my favorite spot...

09Mvr9g.jpg

bYklAHE.jpg

LgOc19h.jpg

fernand

If I HAD to trim down to a single vaporizer I doubt the FF would be it, because i dont always vape the same and there are more versatile units on thé market. For someone who's always vaping dry herb for max flavor, the FF is #1.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Well, for the first time since I received my FF (late December), I took out the screen. And there was quite a bit of gunk down there. Most of it ISO's out, but a small stain remained that seems to be there for good. Doesn't seem to affect taste or performance, but... it is a stain. :disgust:

Get under those screens and clean, boys and girls! :myday:

If you use the Iolite Wispr screens, you'll minimize debris hitting the stainless steel plate. As for cleaning, be super careful with iso on that plate...you don't want any dripping onto the heater core.

Lahey

Cruisin'
The Firefly is outstanding, I love it. It took me a couple days to adjust my technique, but now I think I have it dialed in. I found it fairly intuitive, and as always the collective dialogue here was very helpful.

I am now using a slightly courser grind than I do with my other vapes. Initially this was just to keep the airway clean. Normally I would assume that a courser grind would result in diminished cloud production, but in this case I'm not really sure. I haven't gone back to using my normal fine grind since mastering the heater, but as it is I am getting nice enough clouds with the courser grind. I haven't run the heater all the way up to its cutoff time yet, meaning I could push it a bit harder, but haven't felt the need to. The most I have held the heater on is probably about 20-25 seconds, which includes my 4-7 second pre-heat. Less time on the button with subsequent hits, as the unit starts to retain some of its heat. It is also sometimes nice to just sip on it for a few seconds and not chase clouds, although this is not usually my first impulse with vaping in general. I like clouds.

I like the bowl about 3/4 full and quite loose, so the material can be shaken/stirred around without opening the lid, either manually or by drawing. Packing down or overfilling the bowl results in uneven heat dispersion and makes it difficult and messy to stir the load. Even with stirring the load it comes out spotty. With a loose bowl and a couple shakes, the AVB is perfectly even. By the end of a session, I have no problem getting it as dark as I want it. It's all in how you operate the heater and how you draw.

I have a very small gap in one area where the glass bowl meets the bottom screen, as some others have mentioned. Small enough that not much will get in there, especially with the courser grind, but surely over time some tiny particles are going to collect inside the unit. Not sure yet if I will bother with the Wispr screens or just leave it to fate, or possibly try molding a screen myself. The 5 year warranty is reassuring, and if I really wanted to, it looks easy enough to get under the faceplate and spruce things up. Not too worried about this one minor issue.

I have also been experimenting with using a top screen which is flush with the outer diameter of the glass bowl element. Pressed down by the Firefly's lid, it is successful in keeping most debris out of the airway without noticeably affecting the airflow. Others have said they thought using a top screen may have been resulting in higher load temperatures due to increased thermal mass. While I'm sure this must be true to some extent, I'm not sure how significant the increase would be. I will try it again without the screen now that I have the heater figured out.

Last edited by a moderator:

rplenty

Get a firefly if you can afford one.
Yes get a firefly!. Here are some observations following a trip to Amsterdam! First I have had varying results with the Firefly and it seemed to depend on the herb used. I have had my FF a couple of months and I thought I would see how it performed using great herb from Amsterdam's Grey Area, a spot I often frequent. Not only do they have great herb but they also have a volcano, which I used for comparison. Observations #1 Using the best herb that is fresh and not dry brings super results. It was a whole new experience using the FF there verses the ok fare available elsewhere. So a lot of what your experience is from amount of time to heat, to amount of smoke sucked to amount of bowls you can vape all are dependent on what you load in the thing. Comparing it to the volcano using the same herb I was consistently getting results and leftover that was nearly identical if not identical to the FF.

MaxVapor

The Professor
WHOOT! Just ordered a Firefly (red), spare bat and charger. Should be Friday delivery just in time for the weekend if fedex does me right.

I have been looking at this vape for a while now and had some good news from Uncle Sam on my tax return... I started vaporizing in 2010 with a Wooden Vapor Genie (kept as a vape of last resort for when the zombie apocalypse happens). I found it too easy to combust which is what I was trying to avoid. Moved on to Iolite v1, then MFLB. Those were ok for me, but I found took too long to get to where I needed to be (given certain constraints I live with) and also too easy to combust (for my lame ass). Then I discovered D9V (Up Tech etc) and have been vaping mostly oil since 2012. I have a Bender from D9V that I use occasionally for flower and it's quite good but not very portable being all glass and perched on the battery. I have been lingering looking over the solo for a long time too, and it looks like a great product, but just didn't spark my excitement enough I guess.

So now I am diving into the Firefly (which I am predisposed to like being a fan of the TV show of the same name). It seems to offer most of what I liked about the MFLB with the better experience from a convection heating source. My only little concern (you know that voice in your head) is the wire being a secret custom alloy. But the medicine will make sure that concern doesn't keep me up at night.

There is so much good info in this thread, just want to give some props to the good men and women of FC :rockon:

And God bless the USA! :clap:

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
WHOOT! Just ordered a Firefly (red), spare bat and charger. Should be Friday delivery just in time for the weekend if fedex does me right.

I have been looking at this vape for a while now and had some good news from Uncle Sam on my tax return... I started vaporizing in 2010 with a Wooden Vapor Genie (kept as a vape of last resort for when the zombie apocalypse happens). I found it too easy to combust which is what I was trying to avoid. Moved on to Iolite v1, then MFLB. Those were ok for me, but I found took too long to get to where I needed to be (given certain constraints I live with) and also too easy to combust (for my lame ass). Then I discovered D9V (Up Tech etc) and have been vaping mostly oil since 2012. I have a Bender from D9V that I use occasionally for flower and it's quite good but not very portable being all glass and perched on the battery. I have been lingering looking over the solo for a long time too, and it looks like a great product, but just didn't spark my excitement enough I guess.

So now I am diving into the Firefly (which I am predisposed to like being a fan of the TV show of the same name). It seems to offer most of what I liked about the MFLB with the better experience from a convection heating source. My only little concern (you know that voice in your head) is the wire being a secret custom alloy. But the medicine will make sure that concern doesn't keep me up at night.

There is so much good info in this thread, just want to give some props to the good men and women of FC :rockon:

And God bless the USA! :clap:
I don't know much about MFLB or VG but I know for sure it's nearly impossible to combust in an iolite. Sure you can get dark dark brown abv but this is just from being constantly heated. Unless your abv was black and/or ashy you weren't getting combustion. And if your not careful you can get your abv pretty dark in the FF.

Not trying to scare you or anything. It's an amazing devise and once you get the hang of it you can control your abv to be however you want....

I do agree with the wire comment, but I can't imagine it being an worse than the Nichrome wires used on crappy ecigs

MaxVapor

The Professor
I don't know much about MFLB or VG but I know for sure it's nearly impossible to combust in an iolite. Sure you can get dark dark brown abv but this is just from being constantly heated. Unless your abv was black and/or ashy you weren't getting combustion. And if your not careful you can get your abv pretty dark in the FF.

Not trying to scare you or anything. It's an amazing devise and once you get the hang of it you can control your abv to be however you want....

I do agree with the wire comment, but I can't imagine it being an worse than the Nichrome wires used on crappy ecigs

You are probably right about the iolite, it may have been more a matter of not liking the long warm up time... In any case I didn't use it for very long because I didn't like it very much. Of course in the intervening time I have learned a lot about draw control (specially with the old D9V carts) so I am hoping that experience will pay off with this device.

So hard to know about the heating element. There are some nasty alloys out there that just might heat efficiently, but not what you want in a medical device. Still I mostly agree with you, and to some extent we rely on the "good intentions" of those who make these products. But I do prefer a manufacturer that is up front about everything in their devices.

Lahey

Cruisin'
@Lahey , have you been using a screen as a topper to keep the airways clear? Has it caused you any overheating or combustion?

Yeah I am sticking with the top screen, I prefer it. It has not caused any overheating or combustion, and I do not believe it has any significant effect on the thermal properties of the bowl area and its contents.

It does go a long way in keeping the airway clear. It Also keeps your material from sticking to the port window, which keeps it vaping evenly and consistently with less need for stirring and scraping it back into the bowl.

EveryDayAmnesiac

I happened to wander into the music store of my tiny little East Coast town and they now have a "smoke shop" in the back... with vaporizers! I saw the pens, the Volcano, the Solo, the Pax, the Ascent... and an empty case where the Firefly went!

That means I'm not the only one in this tiny (college) town with a 'fly. I must find who it is and destroy them.

There can be only ONE!

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Well Firefly is on it's way back...works perfectly... I inquired about the more snug fitting battery doors and they said they know about the issue and it's not always solved by getting a new battery door. So off it goes...

I'm interested in how long this will take. Stacy said they would get right on it and get it bCk to me. But then I got the return instructions with the 7-10 processing blah blah...
I know it's just a standard email they send out so hopefully it won't take that long...

ktom1991

So I was about to post this in the ecig section but I wanted to get the opinion of FF owners. I love my FF for flowers but I want get a conduction pen vape just for concentrates. Problem is there's like 1000 models out and most of them suck. I like nice things. My question to FF owners who expect a certain level of quality... what vape pen would you choose to go along with the FF. It must be built solid, made of inert materials no NiChrome heating element, be reliable, have a decent warranty, reasonably stelthy, and just in general be a superior product.

ktom1991,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
So I was about to post this in the ecig section but I wanted to get the opinion of FF owners. I love my FF for flowers but I want get a conduction pen vape just for concentrates. Problem is there's like 1000 models out and most of them suck. I like nice things. My question to FF owners who expect a certain level of quality... what vape pen would you choose to go along with the FF. It must be built solid, made of inert materials no NiChrome heating element, be reliable, have a decent warranty, reasonably stelthy, and just in general be a superior product.
While I can appreciate the fact that you would like the opinion of us refined FF users, you will get better information from the e-cig section.

Having said that, my short list would include the Vaporbrothers Dabbler and the Dr. Dabber as good quality options to consider.

:peace:

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

Thermovape revolution dart at vaporenvy. Well built, good materials reasonably priced, lasts a long time. I don't know if they are still being serviced because they moved on to cera and luna. Those are 2-3x the price and not as stealthy...but really nice also

I personally love the Persei and Hercules. Not as stealthy though. kiss cart is nice too and similar to the dabbler and dr dsbbler

MaxVapor

The Professor

I am awaiting delivery of my FF today!!

But to answer your question, I settled on products from Delta9Vapes (now UpTech). See the Persei and Omicron threads in the Portables section. For stealth on the go I recommend the Omicron with a 3.7v Titanium Kiss cart. The Kiss is a load as you go system (one dab at a time), but features a ceramic bowl and titanium coil. For more heavy duty use they have the Persei battery and Hercules cart. Materials, build quality, warranty and customer service from the company are all top notch. Plus the founder is an active participant in the product forums.

Back OT, did I mention my red FF is out for delivery????

IT IS!! :wave:

Package in hand...

Box open... Firefly, check. Spare battery, check. External charger, check. Free grinder I won't use after reading this thread, check.

Firefly packaging is very classy. Red is very nice, like a sports car as others have noted (not really metallic looking paint though). I may decide to pickup a dark grey top and battery cover just to mix things up. Love the heft of it in my hand, I am used to associating weight with quality. Mine in unblemished, and everything seems in it's place. Except I notice the screen in the bowl seems a little crooked, on one side it touches the bottom of the bowl, but on the other it is pressed down and I can see the black o-ring there.

Gonna get this thing in the charger and will report back!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lahey

Cruisin'

Edit: Second what those guys said above.

Back on topic: Still using the top screen. Conveniently, after a few sessions it sticks to the port area on the top lid.

Last edited:

masaki

I am awaiting delivery of my FF today!!

But to answer your question, I settled on products from Delta9Vapes (now UpTech). See the Persei and Omicron threads in the Portables section. For stealth on the go I recommend the Omicron with a 3.7v Titanium Kiss cart. The Kiss is a load as you go system (one dab at a time), but features a ceramic bowl and titanium coil. For more heavy duty use they have the Persei battery and Hercules cart. Materials, build quality, warranty and customer service from the company are all top notch. Plus the founder is an active participant in the product forums.

Back OT, did I mention my red FF is out for delivery????

IT IS!! :wave:

Package in hand...

Box open... Firefly, check. Spare battery, check. External charger, check. Free grinder I won't use after reading this thread, check.

Firefly packaging is very classy. Red is very nice, like a sports car as others have noted (not really metallic looking paint though). I may decide to pickup a dark grey top and battery cover just to mix things up. Love the heft of it in my hand, I am used to associating weight with quality. Mine in unblemished, and everything seems in it's place. Except I notice the screen in the bowl seems a little crooked, on one side it touches the bottom of the bowl, but on the other it is pressed down and I can see the black o-ring there.

Gonna get this thing in the charger and will report back!!
Must be better than expected? No report is better in some cases lol

euph0ric1

Floating on.
The top screen method is really something. I loaded my first finely ground, fully packed bowl with a Firefly screen on top.. and wow. The screen does a phenomenal job granting airflow and preventing any clutter on the top window or the airways.. but DAMN.. the hits were so huge and concentrated. Every draw made me cough up a lung and it was the most debilitating bowl I've ever vaped in the Firefly. I was supremely lifted. I couldn't finish the bowl. I stirred it and still had very light brown and even some green herb left.

This trick needs to be added to the Firefly's user manual.

Lahey

Cruisin'
The top screen method is really something. I loaded my first finely ground, fully packed bowl with a Firefly screen on top.. and wow. The screen does a phenomenal job granting airflow and preventing any clutter on the top window or the airways.. but DAMN.. the hits were so huge and concentrated. Every draw made me cough up a lung and it was the most debilitating bowl I've ever vaped in the Firefly. I was supremely lifted. I couldn't finish the bowl. I stirred it and still had very light brown and even some green herb left.

This trick needs to be added to the Firefly's user manual.

Lots of folks like it fine without the screen and don't want to fuss with it, but we are in agreement. I actually think it is less fuss in the long run, especially once the screen sticks on to the lid piece. I think the improvement in cloud production may come from the material being held more closely together, resulting in better radiation of heat throughout the load. This is assuming a bowl packed full enough to be held in place by the screen while drawing, but loose enough to still allow unrestricted airflow through the entire load.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom