The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

turk

turk
....also waiting for mouthpieces to be available ..although mine is functioning properly ...a additional one is always prudent..

turk,

xlr8

Also, I'm digging the "finger stir" demonstrated in the Mark Robinson FF instructional video they posted. It's nice to not always have to worry about having a stirrer.

Do you have any link to this video? or explanation?
I'm curious.

xlr8,
Concerning the dust build-up in the mouthpiece, an iso bath+irritation did in fact restore my mouthpiece to pristine conditions. I found that the easiest way to do this was to simply use an empty water bottle. Place your mouthpiece (or/and concentrate pads) into the water bottle and fill with iso where it covers the accessories. Now leave for 15-30 min and remember to give it a couple shakes/twirls every once in a while. Carefully wash everything with water when finished ;)

Edit: After taking the first hit from my newly cleaned mouthpiece I noticed a white film cover the entire inside of the mouthpiece. I simply took a toothpick and scraped it all out, but I think the iso bath+irritation method for cleaning ff2 mouthpieces is no longer a viable option. (The method still works for cleaning the concentrate pads though.) Anyone else have any ideas on how to clean these plastic mouthpieces?

Last edited:
lazypotato,

Vapenado

..you can put your weed in it
https://www.google.com/search?q=firefly+2+with+cover+off&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=785&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwikqeLy-uTNAhUE8mMKHY1VCBgQ_AUIBygC#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=firefly+2+with+cover+off+inside+of+vape+electronics&imgrc=1f9xi34Opml9EM:
images

Modnote: Edited to display image
Stupid question...what is the brown circular piece...positioned under the bowl?

Vapenado,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Concerning the dust build-up in the mouthpiece, an iso bath+irritation did in fact restore my mouthpiece to pristine conditions. I found that the easiest way to do this was to simply use an empty water bottle. Place your mouthpiece (or/and concentrate pads) into the water bottle and fill with iso where it covers the accessories. Now leave for 15-30 min and remember to give it a couple shakes/twirls every once in a while. Carefully wash everything with water when finished ;)

Edit: After taking the first hit from my newly cleaned mouthpiece I noticed a white film cover the entire inside of the mouthpiece. I simply took a toothpick and scraped it all out, but I think the iso bath+irritation method for cleaning ff2 mouthpieces is no longer a viable option. (The method still works for cleaning the concentrate pads though.) Anyone else have any ideas on how to clean these plastic mouthpieces?

Cotton swab dipped in ISO. Cleans mine quickly, and avoids leaving it soaking in ISO.

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
@MinnBobber
I tried both the MV baskets and Arizer baskets. They don't fit. If you were to smash them down a little it would fit.
The cap for a Cloud EVO ELB doesn't fit either. It also needs to be smashed a little to fit. Hope that helps!

Slow Draw McGraw,
Reactions: MinnBobber

jay87

If you're worried about the price of wipes here's the ultimate cheap FF2 cleaning tip.

Take 1 rectangle of paper towel, fold and tear into 4 pieces, ball up the pieces and wet with rubbing alcohol.

You now have 4 alcohol wipes made as cheaply as possible and you can clean your FF2 using only a single sheet of paper towel. :2c:

irie4i

Hey FC, I've been hemming and hawing over getting an FF2 specifically because I love great taste and on demand as a feature. I have a Ti woody S and a haze v3 that are my main devices right now and I'm specifically worried about 1 thing with the FF2.

How clean do the holes in the oven stay? Over time, are they clogging with bits of kief? Are the seams where the oven connects to the body of the device collecting anything gunky either?

My #1 complaint of my haze is its dirty taste. My wife also hates it when I leave it on 3 and forget, she really hates the smell of combustion. I'm hoping I can solve both of those problems with a FF2 but I'm also considering an e-nano.

Anyway, that was my main concern, its a real PITA to break my haze down to clean the air inlets below the oven.

Also is there a way to charge a backup battery so you can swap or...? Sorry, it wasn't obvious to me.

irie4i,

collegeKid101

Hey FC, I've been hemming and hawing over getting an FF2 specifically because I love great taste and on demand as a feature. I have a Ti woody S and a haze v3 that are my main devices right now and I'm specifically worried about 1 thing with the FF2.

How clean do the holes in the oven stay? Over time, are they clogging with bits of kief? Are the seams where the oven connects to the body of the device collecting anything gunky either?

My #1 complaint of my haze is its dirty taste. My wife also hates it when I leave it on 3 and forget, she really hates the smell of combustion. I'm hoping I can solve both of those problems with a FF2 but I'm also considering an e-nano.

Anyway, that was my main concern, its a real PITA to break my haze down to clean the air inlets below the oven.

Also is there a way to charge a backup battery so you can swap or...? Sorry, it wasn't obvious to me.
I don't own the unit but based on previous comments and other video reviews, the seams collecting gunk is something I've seen mentioned before. Maybe it's too early tell but I am pretty sure its a non issue.

Cleaning is super easy just wipe it with a iso wipe or napkin, etc. as far as cleaning the holes, they recommend a coarser grind for this device partly because it works better but probably to avoid clogged holes too. They are easily cleaned by using compressed are on the unit to get the dust/kief/particles out.

On smell of the FF 2: It's virtually odorless provided that you don't open the device up to stir during a session. If you do, you'll be punched in the face by some very danky danker. But letting the unit cool off for about 5 minutes before stirring has also been said to help with this issue. If you mean while not in use (it doesn't cook if you aren't touching the buttons) then this unit isn't tok odorous.

Finally, you can buy a third party charger off amazon or something to charge the batteries, or charge them in your FF 1 if you have one.

collegeKid101,

malsanti

The reason I had it delivered to my sister and not parents in America is because parents were visting me here in London. But it took so long, that now my sister left yesterday for two weeks holiday and my parents are back in America.

Well after almost exactly a month my FF2 shipped on Monday, but will reach my sister apartment where no one will be. Will have to wait another 3 weeks. Which is why I called FF originally to confirm how long it would take.

Money is tight to buy another portable vape, cuz i wanted one for parks and concerts and the summer is rapidly progressing. Buying the evo and FF2 required me saving a bit of money, but FF2 was the important one as I am usually outside, and was really looking forward to getting it.

But FF2 delaying it so much really just doesn't make it a useful device for me any longer. I wonder if Firefly will accept a return if unopened?

malsanti,

b0

Cloudy...
So 72 hours after sendin my email and still no answer. They take longer to answer than Grasshopper labs and that's "no bueno". To be honest I'm disappointed, usually the rest of customer services I have had to deal with answered back in no more than 48 hours.

In the meantime I have decided to start documenting how bad my Firefly 2 works so I have proper numbers when they answer back. HEre is an example:

I finished charging my FF2 at 00:30 on 12/7 and used it on high all the time without conecting it to the app. Took 5 hits from it and went to bed, next morning took 2 more and went to work. I came back home at 23:30 (less than 24 hours after full charge) and when tried to use it I got the blinking red light. WTF? So I decided to try what another member here suggested and took the battery out for a few seconds and put it back, that give me another 3 hits before blinkig red again. Took it out again and was able to take 1 more hit. 1:35 am of 13/7.

So a full charge gave me 11 hits at high on a spam life of 25 hours, the worst battery life of any vaporizer I have had.

At this point I'm really disappointed at the performance of this device and hope they take care of me as soon as posible because I don't think this is how it should work and it's really obvious that there is a problem with my unit...

b0,

Sh4dy15

If you're worried about the price of wipes here's the ultimate cheap FF2 cleaning tip.

Take 1 rectangle of paper towel, fold and tear into 4 pieces, ball up the pieces and wet with rubbing alcohol.

You now have 4 alcohol wipes made as cheaply as possible and you can clean your FF2 using only a single sheet of paper towel. :2c:

lol not that i'm "worried" about it and what you described is what I do at home but I like the pre-packaged wipes I can put in the case with it so if I am out with it or at my parents house or something I can just as easily clean it.

Sh4dy15,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
In the meantime I have decided to start documenting how bad my Firefly 2 works so I have proper numbers when they answer back. HEre is an example:

Have you tried this with both batteries, just to rule out the possibility you have a bad battery? (Also a good way to work around this problem...keep the second battery charged in case of the first one going dead. You won't have a usage issue, and you'll be able to document whether or not it's the battery or the unit.)

The other thing worth documenting: take the battery out of the FF before leaving it idle, and then replace it right before you use it. When I've done this, there is no issue at all...curious to see if this works the same for you. (My takeaway: whatever "drainage" occurs, it only happens with the battery in the FF, not when it's removed.)

As I've mentioned before, I've had similar situations to the metrics you described. But, the same battery and FF, a day later, will last like five days before going dead. So it's not consistent, and for me anyway, given I always have a second battery charged, not really an issue at all. But it is puzzling and I'm sure FF would like to get to the bottom of it.

jezmund

Nice, I'll give that a try - thanks!
Ok, I just wanted to report that I now love this vaporizer using the screen method to keep the herb down next to the screen. I actually had considered using a screen instead of the concentrate pad before, but after @FLMan420 suggested it and reported success, I gave it a try. Now I have the portable e-Nano I was looking for for microdosing. I like to vape very small amounts of .020g. But in order for this to work, I need to be getting nearly 100% extraction.

Here's my guide to Microdosing with the FF2.

1. I used a 11/16" diameter screen. I pushed it in the bowl, but crimped the sides which creates an easy to grab handle to pull it out. Much easier to deal with than the concentrate pad and better airflow.

66KGkmM.jpg

sYMk2CJ.jpg

2. With this tiny amount of material, I need to use a fine grind, like the one I showed in a previous photo from my SpaceCase Scout Small. I tried is using the coarse grind from my cheap acrylic grinder and it did not work. Like, not at all. Way too much airflow, no vapor production. I'm finding that the proper grind for success with the FF2 varies with the size of the bowl you're packing. Coarse grind for full bowl. Finer grind for tiny bowl.

3. Ensure the herb is evenly distributed across the whole FF2 screen. This is another reason you need a finer grind with this small amount. Place the pipe screen on top. The herb is sandwiched between the two. When you put the FF2 lid on, the herb is gently held against the FF2 screen by the pipe screen.

4. Draw briskly (without any whistling type sounds) for as long as I can. I found too slow of a draw does not work here. I'm using it on heat setting High.

5. Take two hits, then stir (with a stick of some sort. The finger method does not work that well here, there's just too little material and you really need to ensure mixing well with even distribution to get maximum extraction).

6. Take two more hits.

Now, after this, I took the ABV and put it in my well heated e-Nano (@6.5) I got vapor for one hit, but it was barely worth it. It was a very empty hit. Like I was just toasting the herb to a dark brown without much benefit. Similar to the results @mitchgo61 reported. So, by my estimation, the FF2 was 90%-95% as efficient as the e-Nano, which in my book, is darn close enough!

Last edited:

kcmochris

Ok, I just wanted to report that I now love this vaporizer using the screen method to keep the herb down next to the screen.

Much appreciated, @jezmund. I will be implementing a screen in place of the pads. Thanks for detail.

3. Ensure the herb is evenly distributed across the whole screen.

Just to clarify, your herb was placed on top of the screen? Or was the herb packed, then the screen placed on top? Figured I'd ask since most of the people using the pad technique put it on top of their flowers. And from what you've articulated suggests the screen is on the bottom.

kcmochris,

jezmund

Just to clarify, your herb was placed on top of the screen? Or was the herb packed, then the screen placed on top?

Great question. Herb under the screen!

When I was talking about distribution I meant on the FF2 built in screen, but I see how that was ambiguous :)

The Natty Leprechaun

So 72 hours after sendin my email and still no answer. They take longer to answer than Grasshopper labs and that's "no bueno". To be honest I'm disappointed, usually the rest of customer services I have had to deal with answered back in no more than 48 hours.

I finished charging my FF2 at 00:30 on 12/7 and used it on high all the time without conecting it to the app. Took 5 hits from it and went to bed, next morning took 2 more and went to work. I came back home at 23:30 (less than 24 hours after full charge) and when tried to use it I got the blinking red light. WTF? So I decided to try what another member here suggested and took the battery out for a few seconds and put it back, that give me another 3 hits before blinkig red again. Took it out again and was able to take 1 more hit. 1:35 am of 13/7.

So a full charge gave me 11 hits at high on a spam life of 25 hours, the worst battery life of any vaporizer I have had.

At this point I'm really disappointed at the performance of this device and hope they take care of me as soon as posible because I don't think this is how it should work and it's really obvious that there is a problem with my unit...

I was having similar poor battery life too I sent mine in to be tested after only using it for a week and a half and they tested it and found both batteries to be bad and I had poor battery life from day 1 .
so who knows maybe there is a bad batch of batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom