The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Ok, I dont even have mine yet but was just trying help this dude out.

Sorry, trying to help troubleshoot without actually having it might be doing more harm than good haha 2 more days!!!

Not at all, your advice was correct, that's the way to re-establish a connection. (I was picking nits over the exact state....don't mind me. It's that or drive the wife crazy. :p)
I am quoting myself. Cause my ff2 doesn't seem to work. It turns on but does not get very hot. Even with very little material I can't get rid of the greenies. I try 10 very long draws 25 seconds and still it does not seem spent. I think it is not functioning right. Also after leaving it alone for a few minutes light is solid green immediately and the orange ring gloweth not. Air then warm is also not. Baaaa

1. Make sure the lid is on correctly. (Does the draw feel restricted?)
2. Did you try another battery?
3. Also, take out the battery and re-insert it. Does this help?
4. Do you see an orange glow, ever, especially early in the cycle?
5. Finally, instead of a small amount of material, pack that bowl as densely as you can. Swap in the other battery. See if that helps.

Let us know what happens!

You really don't know what everyone is comparing it to when they say its not producing clouds. If some people are first time vape owners or first time users of the product they most likely have to adjust their cloud expectations and technique. I asked earlier in comparison to Solo how the clouds were and I have heard its comparable. So to me, it does produce clouds but not everyone will feel that way I would think.

It's natural for folks to look for comparisons, and IME in the portable vape world this ends up just confusing the issue. The FF will produce clouds. Like the Mighty? Well...no. Different approach, different draw, different vapor quality. I do not think these are comparable vapes, at all, save that both excel at what they do. The FF is designed to deliver great, cool flavor, and not necessarily to pump out huge clouds. The FF is more of a manual vape, requiring a certain amount of intuition and technique (though not a ton, or near as much as the FF1). The Mighty is an automatic, "set it and forget it" machine. They really couldn't be more different, though I consider each to be the best at what they do.

shaolinmilk

I cancelled my pre-order... I'll revisit this thread in a few months to see how everyone's doing then. :(

shaolinmilk,

pushpaw

This isn't "sleep" or "standby"....its just a basic state where the app disconnects from the FF. It doesn't need to be awakened, and you only need to touch both buttons to reconnect to the app. If you just wanna heat it and hit it, it's still ready to go.

I don't think you are entirely correct here. I was the one who a few pages back recommended lightly touching the buttons (or button if you changed it to be one or the other instead of both) to wake it up as I have also seen the behavior where after it has been sitting for some time (long enough to be totally cold, like hours even) if I just grab it and go to use it it goes straight to solid green and doesn't heat up. If I let go and then touch the buttons again it then heats up normally. I made the (possibly erroneous but I think correct) leap that it has entered its 'sleep' state (which is part of why they went with the bluetooth controller thing, right?) and gets confused at wake up sometimes. I should note that this does not happen every time, but has happened enough times in the few days that I have had it that I now just touch it to wake it up before I actually use it.

Edit for clarity: I keep using the word 'sleep' but perhaps low power standby is more accurate. We know for certain that after a short period of inactivity it enters a very low power mode. If it didn't I wouldn't be getting the pretty impressive battery life I have had so far, and you also would not need to touch and wake it before being able to connect via the app. My sense is that it is supposed to both wake and begin the heating process when activating touch happens, but that sometimes it get confused and only wakes, but does not start the heating process unless you let go and then again touch the buttons.

2nd edit, to add: All that said I think @MonsterWithoutBorders may have a problem unit since even though I can fairly easily replicate the 'wake but fail to start heating' thing I am talking about, it is barely an issue as once the heater is going this thing is awesome. I am getting consistently good results easier than with the FF1, and the battery life is bordering on unbelievable compared to my FF1. (New batteries, though. We shall see if they hold up better over time.) I usually only stir once after 3 or 4 hits, as I did with the FF1, and then take a few more until it tastes done. I may have a bit of uneven toasting of the load, but overall it ends up pretty well toasted. (I am not one to go for total extraction, as I don't like the flavor after a certain point and fresh supplies are super easy to come by up here in the NW, even more so since we went legal. I also keep most my abv for use in cooking or other things later.)

Last edited:

jay87

I ordered a black ff2 as well so make sure to post back here if you hear anything!
I'm also curious to see how the shipments vary. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the units going out now. Obviously, I could be wrong, but I think that some people have too high of expectations. We will see though. We were also told that there shouldn't be too much of a learning curve which seems like it might have been a little bit incorrect. I'm still excited to master mine.

Yeah this has got to be one of the most controversial vapes I've heard of in awhile. There's been people who have had no problems, getting clouds and great flavor and loving it like the guy who actually went camping with it and it worked out great. Then there's people who have claimed they are getting no vapor, and it sucks. :shrug:

I've even seen some people say "Yeah at first I got no vapor and I thought it sucked, then I got better at it and now it's amazing" which is very inspiring to hear.

I think you're right about the expectations part, this thing is still a portable vaporizer and just like every other portable vaporizer ever created it will have issues to deal with.

For me personally I know this is going to be the perfect vape for me because I plan to use it as a concentrate vape that has the versatility to also do dry herb, I feel like most other people are doing the opposite.

Literally 100% of the feedback I've seen and heard about this vape in regards to concentrate use has been absolutely stellar so I'm not worried in the slightest. :love:

Mr Mellish

Yeah this has got to be one of the most controversial vapes I've heard of in awhile. There's been people who have had no problems, getting clouds and great flavor and loving it like the guy who actually went camping with it and it worked out great. Then there's people who have claimed they are getting no vapor, and it sucks. :shrug:

I've even seen some people say "Yeah at first I got no vapor and I thought it sucked, then I got better at it and now it's amazing" which is very inspiring to hear.

I think you're right about the expectations part, this thing is still a portable vaporizer and just like every other portable vaporizer ever created it will have issues to deal with.

For me personally I know this is going to be the perfect vape for me because I plan to use it as a concentrate vape that has the versatility to also do dry herb, I feel like most other people are doing the opposite.

Literally 100% of the feedback I've seen and heard about this vape in regards to concentrate use has been absolutely stellar so I'm not worried in the slightest. :love:

And we also see people reporting that they got little or no clouds, but impressive effects. Is this focus on "cloud" relevant to the defined purpose of the device? I'm not picking a fight here but this is a topic that has interested me for the several years I've been reading FC. Is the cloud a fair indicator of purposeful functionality or is it more of a fetish? Personally, I'd rather have effect with no clouds than clouds with no effect!

Or, maybe I'm just completely missing the point of the clouds. I'll crawl back behind the protective barrier...

mitchgo61

I should note that this does not happen every time, but has happened enough times in the few days that I have had it that I now just touch it to wake it up before I actually use it.

This, as the kids say. I haven't noticed any consistent behavior of this sort myself, which I think I would have if this were an intended design feature of the FF. But you've got me curious now....I will attempt to find out if indeed this is a feature, and not some by-product of BT connection-dropping. (And if so, why isn't it consistent?:hmm:)

And we also see people reporting that they got little or no clouds, but impressive effects. Is this focus on "cloud" relevant to the defined purpose of the device? I'm not picking a fight here but this is a topic that has interested me for the several years I've been reading FC. Is the cloud a fair indicator of purposeful functionality or is it more of a fetish? Personally, I'd rather have effect with no clouds than clouds with no effect!

Or, maybe I'm just completely missing the point of the clouds. I'll crawl back behind the protective barrier...

This is what I meant in my last post....the FF isn't designed to be a "cloud machine" like the Mighty, so judging it on that criterion is confusing and potentially misleading.

studmuffin

Greetings, Firefly2 Nation,

Concentrate pad report #1: I have been having wonderful results with my gold Firefly (it's so-o-o purdy !) using primo flower bud. Today I had my first "pad" of concentrate: Blackberry Kush, a naughty little Indica @ 64.7%. I selected the concentrate heat profile, inserted the mesh pad into the bowl, and mushed a blob of wax about the size of a currant onto the pad to maximize the interface (that word again). Forthwith, the chronicle of hits, by number:

#1: I initiated the heat cycle, and since this heat setting puts the maximum draw on the battery, it took 6 blinks before I got a solid green light. I begin my LSD (long slow draw) , continuing until the heat cycle times out. Wispy vapor, great flavor !

#2: The heat cycle is ready instantly, and I begin my LSD. After the cycle times out, I continue to draw unheated air for another 10-15 seconds. Whoosh !, bigger cloud, but not huge.

#3: I employ the heat cycle while doing a LSD for 10 seconds, and continue to draw for another 15 seconds or so. Whoa ! As I exhale again out through my nose, the berry flavor hits me almost as hard as the tetrahydrocannabinol. I am on the road to PFT, fer sure.

#4: 10 second heat/LSD cycle, about 10 seconds of continued draw with heat off:

"Shit the bed, Ted."

#5: Repeat of #4, more puffy clouds, and I am pretty sure that I am not now capable of operating
anything more complicated than a bottle of beer.

So, I am very impressed. I have a nice dab rig, but even with low-temp dabbing , the flavor and
overall experience is much superior with the Firefly. I could still taste blackberry flavor 15 minutes after I finished my session. Mmmm, blackberry ! I was initially curious about the battery draw rate using the concentrate setting. I started with a fully charged battery, and post-concentrate mindmelt,
the battery indicator on my gold unit still showed 4 blue flashes. And the battery indicator on the app said "full", although the monitoring of the battery strength seems to be somewhat unreliable at this point in time. I am sure that I can maximize the "toke" (love that word, also) count since after Hit #2, I spend more time on LSD sans power than with it. The stainless pad, though dinky, does retain heat really well, especially since you never have to remove the lid during a session, thereby letting accumulated heat escape. Finally, as I discovered with my original silver Firefly, you need to remove the pad while it is still warm, otherwise it will be quite glued in place.

In future reports, I will chart battery usage/duration while using concentrates.

:myday:

jay87

I think for some people the cloud is necessary, some people like to SEE the effect of their vape, but like you, I myself care much more about how much I FEEL the effect than how big the cloud looks, but we don't have the same opinion as everyone.

Cloud visibility vs potency of effects is definitely a good topic of debate.

In my mind if you get very intense effects even with a less visible cloud, that sounds like some incredibly clean and cool vapor to me.

The grasshopper is the constant comparison for the FF2, it seems to me the grasshopper is extremely hot with huge billowing clouds while the FF2 is much cooler with more flavorful clouds and both reportedly have great potency of the effect. Just completely different designs but both of them seem to lead to incredible results which to me means they accomplish the same goal just in different ways.

Sh4dy15

@pushpaw sorry didn't quote ya before man...new to forum and couldn't figure out how to add quote on edit. Your post was what I was referencing tho.

@mitchgo61 yeah I wasn't sure what to call it...but that makes sense. Also in regard to the clouds I completely agree, I think their goal here was very cool vapor and highest effect possible which from what I am hearing it accomplishes after figuring out so good technique, which I look forward to experimenting with.

Sh4dy15,

purplenurple24

I kind of feel like a lot of us crave clouds because it takes us all back to smoking. I think a lot of it is probably mental too. If I see vapor, then I feel like I'm still getting something beneficial out of my bowl. If I can't see the vapor (or see very little vapor) then I automatically start to wonder if my stuff is working correctly or I just assume that my bowl is cashed.

I think there are a lot of variables, but the fact remains that a lot of people want big clouds. I, personally, am fine with the firefly2 not producing "huge" clouds as long as I'm still getting where I want to go. I've still got my Crafty for sessions/cloud production so I'll be fine.

purplenurple24,
1. Make sure the lid is on correctly. (Does the draw feel restricted?)
2. Did you try another battery?
3. Also, take out the battery and re-insert it. Does this help?
4. Do you see an orange glow, ever, especially early in the cycle?
5. Finally, instead of a small amount of material, pack that bowl as densely as you can. Swap in the other battery. See if that helps.

Let us know what happens

I tried a new battery. I packed bowl dense and not dense still after 8 20 seconds draw some is brown but a lot of green and I don't feel the effect I should.
Can't use app until I figure out a device that works or someone puts the Android app some place I can download it and try PC Android emulation.

Ratklaw

Yes. I agree. I'm new to vaporizing and the FF2 is my first vaporizer besides occasionally using other people's Volcanos and Pax 2s.

I was initially disappointed at my first attempt with FF2 when I got no visible vapor. I packed it with very high quality bud but the mouthpiece wasn't completely snapped in and I did not pack it densely. However, after 4 or 5 "unsuccessful" draws, I was way too stoned to refine my methods during that session.

Since then I'm getting decent enough vapor with refined techniques from following the instructions closely and reading advice here. I also find that "sipping" works well.

After some reflection, I could care less about billowing clouds of vapor (although that's pretty cool and FF2 seems to deliver somewhat more with concentrates) than the utility of having an effective on-demand vape. I'm not one that typically finishes a whole bowl by myself so having something where I can take a hit or two is perfect for me.

Last edited:
Ratklaw,
Reactions: jay87

Sh4dy15

However, after 4 or 5 "unsuccessful" draws, I was way too stoned to refine my methods during that session.

This is definitely the key statement in your reply to me....it's absolutely doing the job haha

I went from not smoking weed at all straight to vaping so I've never been chasing clouds. It is fun every once in a while tho so that's when I smoke if I want but that's very rare.

Gandalf

Just got my FF2 today and used it for the first time. I like getting clouds because I like the visual as a feedback mechanism for the size of the hit I just took, in addition to it satisfying the urge to "smoke" something.

I immediately set my Firefly to HIGH temperature through the app and packed a bowl. All I had remaining was a container of already ground, fine, dry bud. I packed the chamber to maybe 3/4 full and didn't do any packing. Took a very long, reasonably slow draw...

Imagine my surprise when I blew out a huge cloud on the very first try! And I continued to get clouds throughout the rest of the bowl, though they declined in size with each hit.

The vapor tasting amazing. Easily the best tasting, most flavorful vapor I've ever had.

Also, the bowl was very evenly vaped and medium to dark brown. I did shake it around a bit like the MFLB in between each hit but I didn't bother taking off the cover. Packing it only 3/4 full gave me enough room to mix it up like this.

For those of you who are dissatisfied with wispy favor, try setting the Firefly to HIGH and taking long, slow draws. This thing is definitely capable of producing clouds and I don't believe it has to be so finicky, or at least no more so than most other vapes. It may just be a temperature issue.

Here's what I do NOT like, so far:

- I also have a creaky side like one of the posters above. It's only in one spot, but it feels cheap considering this is a $330 vaporizer.

- I think this is going to get dirty very fast, particularly the cover piece. After just one bowl, there was a bunch of ABV sticking to the cover and the rubbery areas around the window.

- Air flow restriction. It's definitely less restrictive than the Solo, but considerably more restrictive than the GH.

I don't want to say much more because I've only had one bowl so far, but these are my initial impressions.

Maple Beaver

Vape convert and herb snob in the making
Apparently in some of the Emails they said "late May" instead of just May, so hopefully ours will be here sooner! I know somebody who ordered theirs on April 1st already got their's last week, so hopefully it can be anyday now!!!

Just when I had just about managed my impatience and tempered my expectations of an early delivery, you just HAD to come in and ruin weeks of mental preparation!!

I ordered april 5th, but the blue will probably works against me.

Anywhom, back to refreshing my email every half hour and checking the mail twice a day...

mitchgo61

I tried a new battery. I packed bowl dense and not dense still after 8 20 seconds draw some is brown but a lot of green and I don't feel the effect I should.
Can't use app until I figure out a device that works or someone puts the Android app some place I can download it and try PC Android emulation.

Weird. You're getting some cooking, so it's heating, somewhat. Unless you aren't getting a proper seal (which is why I asked if the draw felt restricted) then obviously something is wrong. Call FF, I'm sure they'll make it right.

Just got my FF2 today and used it for the first time. I like getting clouds because I like the visual as a feedback mechanism for the size of the hit I just took, in addition to it satisfying the urge to "smoke" something.

I immediately set my Firefly to HIGH temperature through the app and packed a bowl. All I had remaining was a container of already ground, fine, dry bud. I packed the chamber to maybe 3/4 full and didn't do any packing. Took a very long, reasonably slow draw...

Imagine my surprise when I blew out a huge cloud on the very first try! And I continued to get clouds throughout the rest of the bowl, though they declined in size with each hit.

The vapor tasting amazing. Easily the best tasting, most flavorful vapor I've ever had.

Also, the bowl was very evenly vaped and medium to dark brown. I did shake it around a bit like the MFLB in between each hit but I didn't bother taking off the cover. Packing it only 3/4 full gave me enough room to mix it up like this.

For those of you who are dissatisfied with wispy favor, try setting the Firefly to HIGH and taking long, slow draws. This thing is definitely capable of producing clouds and I don't believe it has to be so finicky, or at least no more so than most other vapes. It may just be a temperature issue.

You will definitely get huge hits if you start on High! :nod::lol: Nice to hear you didn't have to pack it much. (I've actual dared to move up to Concentrates with flower, but only at the very end of a bowl....probably a bad idea to start there!)

- I think this is going to get dirty very fast, particularly the cover piece. After just one bowl, there was a bunch of ABV sticking to the cover and the rubbery areas around the window.

- Air flow restriction. It's definitely less restrictive than the Solo, but considerably more restrictive than the GH.

I don't want to say much more because I've only had one bowl so far, but these are my initial impressions.

It does get dirty....since the lid and base form the vapor path, it gets dirty fast. It's really easy to clean though.

As for restriction, I've found it's helpful to remove and clean the mouthpiece every other bowl or so (and the little open it snaps into). Lots of debris gets trapped in there.

Sh4dy15

Since I haven't received mine yet and haven't used original FF, one thing that "concerned" me is the magnet will weaken? Has this happened to anyone with the original (Assuming it was same type of setup)? Or am I making up concerns for no reason?

Sh4dy15,

studmuffin

Hi Gandalf,

You and Reggie Watts both mention this "creaking" sound when you initiate a heat cycle. This mysterious creaking sound is actually not creaking from the body, but it is the audible sound made when thirty watts of power is instantaneously applied to the heating mechanism. Mine "creaks" too, more so when I use it on the Concentrate heat profile. Seriously.

studmuffin,

pushpaw

It does get dirty....since the lid and base form the vapor path, it gets dirty fast. It's really easy to clean though.

As for restriction, I've found it's helpful to remove and clean the mouthpiece every other bowl or so (and the little open it snaps into). Lots of debris gets trapped in there.

Somebody else mentioned this but I don't remember if it was in this thread or not, but super useful tip: when you have the lid off, either to stir or reload, blow through the mouthpiece and any loose material that got sucked in there will just blow back out. I have yet to take the mouthpiece off of mine.

You are spot on with the really easy to clean part. I have thoroughly cleaned mine once since getting it last week, and it was a snap. Way easier and faster than the FF1. Literally took me 30 seconds with a paper towel wetted a bit (not dripping, just damp) on one end with iso. Wipe the sticky areas with iso part of towel, then again with dry part. Done.

Since I haven't received mine yet and haven't used original FF, one thing that "concerned" me is the magnet will weaken? Has this happened to anyone with the original (Assuming it was same type of setup)? Or am I making up concerns for no reason?

Magnet has never been an issue with my FF1, and I don't expect it to be with FF2.

jay87

Can anyone tell me about the auto shutoff?

If you were to engage the heat and hold it for say 10 seconds without taking a draw, then let go of the heat for a second or two, then engage the heat again would the timer reset so that you could take a longer draw at higher heat?

Similar to how you can "pulse" pen vapes to avoid their auto shutoff?

jay87,

Stoney Baloney

Cannabis Connoisseur
Just when I had just about managed my impatience and tempered my expectations of an early delivery, you just HAD to come in and ruin weeks of mental preparation!!

I ordered april 5th, but the blue will probably works against me.

Anywhom, back to refreshing my email every half hour and checking the mail twice a day...
Hahah sorry braheem, but if I don't get to rest easy then no one does!! A day hasn't gone by without me watching one of the review videos on youtube and daydreaming about mine! I ordered a black one on April 4th so you and I should be in the same boat, hopefully color shortage thing is not a problem anymore!

Stoney Baloney,

studmuffin

Concentrate pad report #2: I must start by making a correction regarding report #1. Actually, the battery I started using had already been used on a bowl of flower. Anyhoo,
I decided to "bust another pad" (my phrase, but you may soitanly use it, nyukkk nyukkk nyukk) this time using one of my heavy hitters: "Alien Blue Dot shatter, tipping the scales at 76.5%.

I placed a modest amount on the pad, and began the vape cycle. Immediately I was red-lighted, which is odd because prior to lift-off the device battery meter flashed three blue lights (good), but upon use when right to the STOP sign. No worries mate. I swapped my other battery in, and, begun.
Same basic modus operandi as before, only this time after hit #3, I spent way more time doing a LSD with no heat on than with heat. When used as a session vape with concentrates, the rapid fire draws keep the heat near the optimal level, resulting in "clouds" for all you cloud-chaser types, and rapid entry into a blissful state of PFT. Mmmmm, I like it there.

Stoney Baloney

Cannabis Connoisseur

Concentrate pad report #2: I must start by making a correction regarding report #1. Actually, the battery I started using had already been used on a bowl of flower. Anyhoo,
I decided to "bust another pad" (my phrase, but you may soitanly use it, nyukkk nyukkk nyukk) this time using one of my heavy hitters: "Alien Blue Dot shatter, tipping the scales at 76.5%.

I placed a modest amount on the pad, and began the vape cycle. Immediately I was red-lighted, which is odd because prior to lift-off the device battery meter flashed three blue lights (good), but upon use when right to the STOP sign. No worries mate. I swapped my other battery in, and, begun.
Same basic modus operandi as before, only this time after hit #3, I spent way more time doing a LSD with no heat on than with heat. When used as a session vape with concentrates, the rapid fire draws keep the heat near the optimal level, resulting in "clouds" for all you cloud-chaser types, and rapid entry into a blissful state of PFT. Mmmmm, I like it there.

So would you say one full battery equals to 1.5 concentrate sessions?

Stoney Baloney,

mitchgo61

Can anyone tell me about the auto shutoff?

If you were to engage the heat and hold it for say 10 seconds without taking a draw, then let go of the heat for a second or two, then engage the heat again would the timer reset so that you could take a longer draw at higher heat?

Similar to how you can "pulse" pen vapes to avoid their auto shutoff?

Yes, that's correct. The heat cycle restarts each time you release and re-press. Same as with the FF1. You can definitely generate more heat this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom