The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

studmuffin

Hi jay87 & Mr Mellish,

Before I retired 5 years ago, I used to teach people how to use complicated machinery. Final success always boiled down to adherence to the two most important tenets of a manipulative task:
Distillation of process & Efficacy of result. I have diligently applied my expertise ( I am out standing in my field, fer crissakes) to mastering the wily Firefly, both version 1 and 2. Hopefully some people may find my suggestions helpful. If not, I will try to stifle my disappointment. Vape on ! ! , Firefly Nation.

:myday:

studmuffin,
Reactions: jim-bob

Morimoto

@Ratklaw Glad to hear you had fun camping with your FF2! Did you just use the 2 batteries fully charged and they lasted you? or did you charge while your were camping? Did it feel awesome to sit by a campfire with a next generation 2016 vaporizer? did anyone ask about it?

@studmuffin everything you said in the post directly above this is perfect. I feel the same about the lotus, once you tame the wily beast, it's an eternal love story after that. I hope I have the same experience in 36 hours when my FF2 gets here! I love taming wild beasts!

Morimoto,

Ratklaw

@Ratklaw Glad to hear you had fun camping with your FF2! Did you just use the 2 batteries fully charged and they lasted you? or did you charge while your were camping? Did it feel awesome to sit by a campfire with a next generation 2016 vaporizer? did anyone ask about it?

Yes, it was great! My buddy who owns a Pax 2 loved it as well. I charged up the extra battery before I left but I forgot it! However, I did bring a partially charged usb battery pack so I got 1 and a half extra charges off of that. It ran out of charge sat night so we went back to the trusty lighter and pipe. Next time I'll have the extra battery with me and a fully charged battery pack so I think that will last the whole weekend easily. I want to look into a good solar charger now just to be safe. ;-)

BuzzDanklin

Yes, it was great! My buddy who owns a Pax 2 loved it as well. I charged up the extra battery before I left but I forgot it! However, I did bring a partially charged usb battery pack so I got 1 and a half extra charges off of that. It ran out of charge sat night so we went back to the trusty lighter and pipe. Next time I'll have the extra battery with me and a fully charged battery pack so I think that will last the whole weekend easily. I want to look into a good solar charger now just to be safe. ;-)

I have a few solar chargers like this:
9xlAQee.jpg

and a smaller one, and to be honest they really aren't worth it imo, they charge quite slow even in direct sun (which rarely happens) but they do work.

You are probably better off getting a decent capacity battery pack like one off these you can charge the Firefly 2 like 10-20 times

voln

*EDIT*

I originally posted about battery/charging issues with my FF2 batteries but I just found a FF1 old original battery in the mix somehow. Testing with my two verified FF2 batteries, will report back if I continue to have the charge issue. The mostly dead FF1 battery is probably the issue.

*EDIT*

Hello guys,

I know a bunch of us have received our FF2's recently; Have any of you run into issues with charging the batteries? I have had some weird issues with mine.

Long story is below, but the short of it is that my FF2 batteries do not appear to be holding a charge properly, some of the time.

Both batteries have shown the same problem; I will put the battery in the FF2, put it on the cradle to charge. Blue light flashes as its charged then goes solid when its done. I take it off the charger when done...and it won't turn on at all. Take the battery out, put it back in, still won't turn on. Put it back on the charger and it starts charging all over again.

When that happened, I took out the battery and put in the second one, which I had charged the day before fully. Unit won't turn on. Put it back on the cradle and its charging again.

When it finishes charging "The second time", it works fine. I get my normal usage out of it. Then I put it back on the charger when the battery is low, charge it back up...take it off, and it won't work again. Rinse/repeat the above process.

About to reach out to them for RMA/Tech Support but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
*EDIT*

I originally posted about battery/charging issues with my FF2 batteries but I just found a FF1 old original battery in the mix somehow. Testing with my two verified FF2 batteries, will report back if I continue to have the charge issue. The mostly dead FF1 battery is probably the issue.

*EDIT*

Hello guys,

I know a bunch of us have received our FF2's recently; Have any of you run into issues with charging the batteries? I have had some weird issues with mine.

Long story is below, but the short of it is that my FF2 batteries do not appear to be holding a charge properly, some of the time.

Both batteries have shown the same problem; I will put the battery in the FF2, put it on the cradle to charge. Blue light flashes as its charged then goes solid when its done. I take it off the charger when done...and it won't turn on at all. Take the battery out, put it back in, still won't turn on. Put it back on the charger and it starts charging all over again.

When that happened, I took out the battery and put in the second one, which I had charged the day before fully. Unit won't turn on. Put it back on the cradle and its charging again.

When it finishes charging "The second time", it works fine. I get my normal usage out of it. Then I put it back on the charger when the battery is low, charge it back up...take it off, and it won't work again. Rinse/repeat the above process.

About to reach out to them for RMA/Tech Support but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.

Let us know if the FF1 battery removal fixed this. I'm testing some FF2 batts myself right now and I'm occasionally seeing a similar issue, but still trying to nail it down. I'm intensely interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

mitchgo61,

Ratklaw

You are probably better off getting a decent capacity battery pack like one off these you can charge the Firefly 2 like 10-20 times

Thanks, these are great! I have the 10400 version so I just need to charge it up next time and it should provide plenty of power.

Ratklaw,

Stoney Baloney

Cannabis Connoisseur
I was a late pre-order so it was more wishful thinking than anything. I ordered on April 23 or 24 so it likely won't be here for a couple weeks. The email said May though, so I'm feeling good!
Apparently in some of the Emails they said "late May" instead of just May, so hopefully ours will be here sooner! I know somebody who ordered theirs on April 1st already got their's last week, so hopefully it can be anyday now!!!

CL52613

Hi jay87,

Yes, my gold Firefly and I have formed a strong bond, even though we have only been together for 46 hours. I provided a multi-installment review of concentrate pad use in the original Firefly. I am looking forward to utilizing the concentrate pads with the new Concentrate heat profile in my new Firefly. I have some stellar shatters and waxes to try. How stellar, you may ask ?

"Son, this will knock yer dick in the dirt".

Foshizzzzle !

:myday:
Your posts are entertaining and thoughtful though a bit of Firefly snobbery comes through occasionally. I am an "old dude", disabled, retired, full-time caregiver for wife suffering early onset Alzheimer's. My disability affects my extremities; hands and fingers, and below knees with no ability to move foot, ankle, or toes. Sorry to digress...Could you possibly post a reader's digest kind of condensed info-post summarizing the nuances and practices needed to get good hits. And a question regarding the FF2 top cover. Does it have a gasket of some sort that could be damaged or unglued? I ask since I am kind of compulsive when it comes to clean. And this vape does not seem bullet proof. Imagine trying to remove the top cover every two hits with hands that had no thumbs, and needing to carefully stir bowl contents.
Does the FF2 require this much attention to be a really great vape? Looks great, seems like a no-brainer, so much effort.

CL52613,

purplenurple24

Apparently in some of the Emails they said "late May" instead of just May, so hopefully ours will be here sooner! I know somebody who ordered theirs on April 1st already got their's last week, so hopefully it can be anyday now!!!
Yeah, I know the website says late May, but I think my email just said May. I could be wrong though. I really hope that there will be a constant stream of them coming out , but we might have to wait for another shipment. Who knows. I wish we had a thread where everybody could post their shipping updates and whatnot. I would think that would give us a better idea of where we sit, but it is what it is. I'm just impatient.

jay87

Yeah, I know the website says late May, but I think my email just said May. I could be wrong though. I really hope that there will be a constant stream of them coming out , but we might have to wait for another shipment. Who knows. I wish we had a thread where everybody could post their shipping updates and whatnot. I would think that would give us a better idea of where we sit, but it is what it is. I'm just impatient.

I'm in the same boat as you, ordered a black FF2 on the same day.

I'm assuming that they'll be getting shipments from China and then sending them off as they come.

I'm kind of ok with getting mine just a little bit later as I figure it's more likely that the minor kinks in manufacturing will be worked out as they produce more and more batches.

On the other hand I'm extremely impatient and I really want "Shipping in May" to mean "Shipping May 1st" :lol:

My email says "Your pre-order is being processed and will ship in May 2016." So that's awesome and gives me hope! :clap:

Blue just received no email shipment alert.

I first started with a micro load. Best taste ever. Worked good.

Normal load. Worked very good. Very easy to use. Noticed very sticky inside.

Love the looks and those barely touch buttons.

I am quoting myself. Cause my ff2 doesn't seem to work. It turns on but does not get very hot. Even with very little material I can't get rid of the greenies. I try 10 very long draws 25 seconds and still it does not seem spent. I think it is not functioning right. Also after leaving it alone for a few minutes light is solid green immediately and the orange ring gloweth not. Air then warm is also not. Baaaa

MonsterWithoutBorders,

Reggie Watts

For those who used an FF1 - do the techniques that worked for the FF1, such as temp surfing, carry over well to the FF2? I assume they are fundamentally similar devices, but never tried the OG.

Reggie Watts,
Reactions: mitchgo61

Sh4dy15

I am quoting myself. Cause my ff2 doesn't seem to work. It turns on but does not get very hot. Even with very little material I can't get rid of the greenies. I try 10 very long draws 25 seconds and still it does not seem spent. I think it is not functioning right. Also after leaving it alone for a few minutes light is solid green immediately and the orange ring gloweth not. Air then warm is also not. Baaaa

Someone mentioned something about a standby or sleep mode that it automatically goes into that you might have to wake it up from. I forget where the post is but if I find it I will post the steps they posted as well.

I found the post, it said to try tapping the sides (the two buttons) quick to "wake it up" as it may be a firmware issue. Not sure if that will work or not but worth a try.

Last edited:
Sh4dy15,

Mr. Me2

Your posts are entertaining and thoughtful though a bit of Firefly snobbery comes through occasionally. I am an "old dude", disabled, retired, full-time caregiver for wife suffering early onset Alzheimer's. My disability affects my extremities; hands and fingers, and below knees with no ability to move foot, ankle, or toes. Sorry to digress...Could you possibly post a reader's digest kind of condensed info-post summarizing the nuances and practices needed to get good hits. And a question regarding the FF2 top cover. Does it have a gasket of some sort that could be damaged or unglued? I ask since I am kind of compulsive when it comes to clean. And this vape does not seem bullet proof. Imagine trying to remove the top cover every two hits with hands that had no thumbs, and needing to carefully stir bowl contents.
Does the FF2 require this much attention to be a really great vape? Looks great, seems like a no-brainer, so much effort.
Since you need an easy to use and maintain Vape, you may want to think about getting a grasshopper. If You can use a pen (clicking it on and off), you can use a gh. And to help loading, you may want a funnel from @Ratchett. I'm still waiting for mine, but hear that maintenance is easy with this one. And no stirring needed during use.

Just a thought... Others may chime in with other Vape suggestions that are high quality, and easy to use and maintain.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Could you possibly post a reader's digest kind of condensed info-post summarizing the nuances and practices needed to get good hits.

This has been reiterated a number of times in this thread (YMMV and all that).

Thick hits....pack densely. Lighter hits...looser pack. Slow steady draws in every instance.

Does it have a gasket of some sort that could be damaged or unglued? I ask since I am kind of compulsive when it comes to clean. And this vape does not seem bullet proof. Imagine trying to remove the top cover every two hits with hands that had no thumbs, and needing to carefully stir bowl contents.

There's a medical grade silicon gasket. Can it be damaged or unglued? If you are rough with it, or attempt to dislodge it, possibly. In normal use, no. Wipe it and the entire lid gently and you'll be fine.

This is another YMMV... learning a teeny bit of technique isn't really a lot of effort. But there are somewhat simpler vapes, at varying price points and flavor profiles. What's most important in a vape to you? Until you know the answer to that, it's difficult to stack rank these devices for all users. Again....mileage varying. As has been mentioned there might be better vapes for your purposes if ease of use is most important.

Someone mentioned something about a standby or sleep mode that it automatically goes into that you might have to wake it up from. I forget where the post is but if I find it I will post the steps they posted as well.

I found the post, it said to try tapping the sides (the two buttons) quick to "wake it up" as it may be a firmware issue. Not sure if that will work or not but worth a try.

This isn't "sleep" or "standby"....its just a basic state where the app disconnects from the FF. It doesn't need to be awakened, and you only need to touch both buttons to reconnect to the app. If you just wanna heat it and hit it, it's still ready to go.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: VapeKat

Sh4dy15

This isn't "sleep" or "standby"....its just a basic state where the app disconnects from the FF. It doesn't need to be awakened, and you only need to touch both buttons to reconnect to the app. If you just wanna heat it and hit it, it's still ready to go.

Ok, I dont even have mine yet but was just trying help this dude out.

Sorry, trying to help troubleshoot without actually having it might be doing more harm than good haha 2 more days!!!

CL52613

I own a Mighty, produces good flavorful vapor. Not impressed with build quality, battery life, or exterior case which has curved base causing the unit to tip over easily. I was very interested in the FF2 but the posts here have dampen my enthusiasm. Is producing clouds similar to the ones made with a Mighty really that difficult? Seems like so much effort; how to grind, how to load bowl, need to constantly stir bowl contents, how to draw, etc. Is there a portable vaporizer that is as simple to use as a pipe and fire or blunt? Cleaning requirements aside, is there a vape you can use for a pinch or full pack without having to go through so much trouble? We sent a man to the moon over half century ago and still can't design a truly fool-proof vaporizer?

Stoney Baloney

Cannabis Connoisseur
I read on vaporwizard that he took off the lid, put the vape on concentrate setting and put his finger in the bowl piece in an effort to see if the vape was convection only or had a bit of conduction as well. Apparently it took about 10 seconds for his finger to start burning. Maybe that would be a good reference point for you, do the same and if your finger doesn't start burning after 10 seconds something could be wrong!

Stoney Baloney,

Sh4dy15

Is producing clouds similar to the ones made with a Mighty really that difficult? Seems like so much effort; how to grind, how to load bowl, need to constantly stir bowl contents, how to draw, etc.

You really don't know what everyone is comparing it to when they say its not producing clouds. If some people are first time vape owners or first time users of the product they most likely have to adjust their cloud expectations and technique. I asked earlier in comparison to Solo how the clouds were and I have heard its comparable. So to me, it does produce clouds but not everyone will feel that way I would think.

purplenurple24

I'm in the same boat as you, ordered a black FF2 on the same day.

I'm assuming that they'll be getting shipments from China and then sending them off as they come.

I'm kind of ok with getting mine just a little bit later as I figure it's more likely that the minor kinks in manufacturing will be worked out as they produce more and more batches.

On the other hand I'm extremely impatient and I really want "Shipping in May" to mean "Shipping May 1st" :lol:

My email says "Your pre-order is being processed and will ship in May 2016." So that's awesome and gives me hope! :clap:
I ordered a black ff2 as well so make sure to post back here if you hear anything!
I'm also curious to see how the shipments vary. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the units going out now. Obviously, I could be wrong, but I think that some people have too high of expectations. We will see though. We were also told that there shouldn't be too much of a learning curve which seems like it might have been a little bit incorrect. I'm still excited to master mine.

purplenurple24,
Reactions: jay87
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom