The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morimoto

@stinkytofus I use a 4 piece grinder, any 4 piece grinder works, nothing special about mine, it's an "American Grinder" brand, I put a 420science sticker over the yankee stuff because I'm a Canuck and well, whatever! LOL

You can see I use a piece of a larger blade that I snapped off in the appropriate sized X-Acto/exacto style holder, these are my refills that I grabbed for the pic for reference, I just like that I can size the blade for my needs, but any scoop will do, they give a plastic one with this & most grinders, but the plastic "wears out" = plastic in my fucking kief! lol fuckkkk that!

Also, I don't force the herb to do anything, I just let it build up and after the herb is used from the herb compartment, I just give it a little brush with either my weed brush/kief brush or the FF2 brush or any brush to knock all the kief off the bottom of the screen, I will try to get a good pic of that, and what it means.

Z41Qxyw.jpg

Edit: This is the Kief coming through naturally on the bottom side of the screen, this is a very clean grinder and the "Stalactite" formations are not formed because I clean it so much for the kief with a brush, I love seeing people's grinders who don't use their kief, they have masssssive stalactite & stalagmite formations LOL

LuY4cny.jpg

Last edited:
Morimoto,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
@stinkytofus I use a 4 piece grinder, any 4 piece grinder works, nothing special about mine, it's an "American Grinder" brand, I put a 420science sticker over the yankee stuff because I'm a Canuck and well, whatever! LOL

You can see I use a piece of a larger blade that I snapped off in the appropriate sized X-Acto/exacto style holder, these are my refills that I grabbed for the pic for reference, I just like that I can size the blade for my needs, but any scoop will do, they give a plastic one with this & most grinders, but the plastic "wears out" = plastic in my fucking kief! lol fuckkkk that!

Also, I don't force the herb to do anything, I just let it build up and after the herb is used from the herb compartment, I just give it a little brush with either my weed brush/kief brush or the FF2 brush or any brush to knock all the kief off the bottom of the screen, I will try to get a good pic of that, and what it means.

Z41Qxyw.jpg

Edit: This is the Kief coming through naturally on the bottom side of the screen, this is a very clean grinder and the "Stalactite" formations are not formed because I clean it so much for the kief with a brush, I love seeing people's grinders who don't use their kief, they have masssssive stalactite & stalagmite formations LOL

LuY4cny.jpg
Not to get too off topic, but I would be using a guitar pic or a peice of plastic of some sort to collect that pollen. Going metal on metal is never a good idea. It looks like a broken off section peice of blade. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

:2c::peace:

Slow Draw McGraw,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

stinkytofus

Z41Qxyw.jpg

LuY4cny.jpg

Z41Qxyw.jpg

LuY4cny.jpg
Lemme borrow that firefly lulz

stinkytofus,

FreshAir

Update: So it seems like my unit is faulty. I did manage to start getting better clouds but only on high however the battery issue is still there with both batteries. But something new I just noticed is the firefly now makes a buzzing sound when I turn it on. I have not noticed it until this morning. It is a buzzing/humming sound coming from the electronics

Last edited:
FreshAir,
My FF2 works such that it threatens my portable vape hierarchy. Maybe the king(queen) has arrived for now. (however will the grasshopper devour the fly). I found what seems to be a glich. If you put it down for awhile (let us say 20 minutes to an hour) when you pick it up the light immediately goes solid and it does not seem to heat. However just turn it off and on and it starts flashing the oven glows and you are again off to the clouds.

MonsterWithoutBorders,
Reactions: toked23

Reggie Watts

Update: So it seems like my unit is faulty. I did manage to start getting better clouds but only on high however the battery issue is still there with both batteries. But something new I just noticed is the firefly now makes a buzzing sound when I turn it on. I have not noticed it until this morning. It is a buzzing/humming sound coming from the electronics
I thought that buzzing sound was normal? Mine does it too.

Reggie Watts,

FreshAir

I thought that buzzing sound was normal? Mine does it too.
I only started noticing it today. Either way the batteries are dying way too quickly and charging is taking way too long. And I've tried with 1 amp/2 amp and 2.4 amp chargers

How long does it take you to fully charge a battery. My FF is the latest batch black lid

FreshAir,

purplenurple24

I haven't experienced the "buzzing" sound, but my unit (occasionally) does have kind of a "rattle" (that's the best way I can describe it) when I'm drawing. It's very rare so I haven't thought much of it.

I don't often let my batteries die completely, but I haven't noticed any charge that's taken over an hour to complete.

purplenurple24,

dak1024

I appreciate all the hints about using the Firefly I've gotten from posts on this forum, and so I want to give back my early thoughts. One tip I especially liked was the suggestion that you clean the unit each time with tissue paper or paper towel, without iso. I found that really worked, and like any fine tool, you need to clean it after use. I now have come to believe that every user must find the method that works for him or her. What I found is detailed below.

My Firefly took exactly three week from when it was ordered to when it showed up in my mail box, shipped from Nevada by the company (gold). Here are more first impressions.

It connected to my iOS device almost immediately, much easier than connecting Bluetooth keyboards. But somehow when I recharged it the connection was lost and I had to reconnect. I suspect this was "operator error."

My test stash was the gleanings from a medical grow from a couple of years ago, that had been left out in the winter rain and cold. I slowly dried it by a space heater in my bedroom, and then carefully trimmed it myself. It is one half to one third as strong as the material I buy at the store half a mile away - I live in an enlightened West Coast state. Because of the low quality of this material I thought it would be a good test. I find that four sessions were necessary to achieved the desired effect the first time I tried the Firefly.

I loaded the bowl and tried inhaling. Not much seemed to happen, and I found if my fingers moved off of one of the buttons, easy to do, the light would go out or seem to flicker. I got no visible vapor. So I took the lid off to stir. I did so and had a moment of panic, since I could not find the lid. I very carefully set it down. I started looking all over for it. Finally I found it underneath my chair where it had fallen in the dark. Perhaps the substance was in fact working. Along with no visible vapor, what I had inhaled was so cool I did not think I was inhaling anything. But the tracks on the glass chamber once I removed the lid showed that I was in fact inhaling something.

After I removed the lid a second time and replaced it, I noticed that the lid was not seating perfectly, even though I thought it was. I found that by examining the front of the device, you can notice that the gap that runs around is the same distance in the front as it is in other places. Mine wasn't, and I found it was easy to make that mistake if you did not look closely at the front of the device. This may explain some or the problems reported.

I also noticed that the lid should be replaced with the porthole on the opposite end from the mouthpiece. I once put it on wrong and was faced with a real puzzle for a moment until I figured out what I had done. Perhaps the substance was working! Another problem I had was that if my hand covered the air vents in front, when I tried to better see the glow, the draw would be quite restricted. Duh!

Many pages back someone asked if the vapor or the medication is the most important. My little experiment showed to me that one can get truly medicated without vapor.

Eventually, I did get some vapor, but not impressive. I still needed to find out the proper technique for this. I find that without vapor I don't know when the chamber is no longer worth drawing from, so perhaps I gave up on each session before it was necessary.

After a few more bowls of various material, I found a method that works for me. I ground the material, I found that hand tearing did not work well for me. After loading the bowl I tamped it down lightly. I held both buttons and when the light was steady I drew. I had tried slow draws as suggested on this forum but those didn't work for me. I also found it hard to estimate time. What I would do is count as I inhaled, doing it for 20 to 30, and then releasing the buttons and inhaling for 5 more. That is 7-12 seconds. It is hard to describe the speed of a draw, but I drew fast enough so there was a sound, perhaps the whistling talked about in other posts. Perhaps this is the speed of drinking a milkshake through a straw. Users need to experiment with this speed.

I found I got visible vapor on each draw, including the first. Using the inferior material I described above, I would get seven draws, and then open the unit and noticing there was still some green, stirring and bumping the heat to high and then continue for another six draws. With better material, I got up to 23 draws. At that point the vapor was so thin I just gave up.

Once I had finished I checked the battery and there was just one blink, so I put it on the charger. I tried putting a rubber band around the unit and charger and them setting it on its side so I could see when it was charged, but it never was. When I put the unit and charger back to the horizontal position, the blue light went steady almost immediately. So charging seems position sensitive.

In conclusion, I am very happy with the Firefly. I had a friend over who had tried to original Firefly, and we both had enough to still be conversant with just one bowl total.

dak1024,

Reggie Watts

I only started noticing it today. Either way the batteries are dying way too quickly and charging is taking way too long. And I've tried with 1 amp/2 amp and 2.4 amp chargers

How long does it take you to fully charge a battery. My FF is the latest batch black lid

I'm not exactly sure how long it takes to charge from empty to full, because I typically place it on the charger after a session. And the times I do charge from empty to full, I leave it on the charger for a while and come back to find it full, not knowing when exactly it finished. If I had to guess, I would say it takes about 45-60 minutes. Also, I'm using a Samsung "fast adaptive charger" that came with my Galaxy S6 phone, which is 9V output.

Anyway, back to the buzzing noise. Is this seriously a symptom of a problem? Come to think of it, I just started noticing it after using oil for the first time - but I wasn't sure because it's not terribly loud. I only notice it when the room is silent or I place my ear next to the device. I think it's still functioning normally, but then again, I've never been terribly impressed with the vapor production, and I still use the "lid pinch" sometimes to enhance it.

Reggie Watts,

snamuh

ghost
@Reggie Watts mine has buzzed since the first use.

I haven't really looked into it but o assumed it was the sound of the heating power. I believe It was posted here that each temp has a different algorithm(or whatever) for heating... I think that is why the buzzing sound varies

So if concentrate has a constant heat algorithm than the buzzing happens fairly constant. On other temps the heat could be on for the beginning (of holding the button) and then pulse on and off towards the end according to the algorithm...

Just an assumption.

stinkytofus

I'm not exactly sure how long it takes to charge from empty to full, because I typically place it on the charger after a session. And the times I do charge from empty to full, I leave it on the charger for a while and come back to find it full, not knowing when exactly it finished. If I had to guess, I would say it takes about 45-60 minutes. Also, I'm using a Samsung "fast adaptive charger" that came with my Galaxy S6 phone, which is 9V output.

Anyway, back to the buzzing noise. Is this seriously a symptom of a problem? Come to think of it, I just started noticing it after using oil for the first time - but I wasn't sure because it's not terribly loud. I only notice it when the room is silent or I place my ear next to the device. I think it's still functioning normally, but then again, I've never been terribly impressed with the vapor production, and I still use the "lid pinch" sometimes to enhance it.
I think after u finish using it dont charge it immediately, let it cool, and use 1amp chargers, less heat

stinkytofus,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
My FF2 works such that it threatens my portable vape hierarchy. Maybe the king(queen) has arrived for now. (however will the grasshopper devour the fly). I found what seems to be a glich. If you put it down for awhile (let us say 20 minutes to an hour) when you pick it up the light immediately goes solid and it does not seem to heat. However just turn it off and on and it starts flashing the oven glows and you are again off to the clouds.

Not a glitch. It's in Stand-by or Sleep mode. I didn't get a clear answer on how long it takes to enter stand-by mode, but obviously 20 minutes is enough. Just touch the buttons once and release and it wakes and starts heating on the next touch.

Supposedly a 9w or higher USB block/transformer will charge in under an hour. I've had varying results with different blocks of the same size. So....not sure. :hmm:

The external charger will charge those babies up fully in under 30 minutes.

@Reggie Watts mine has buzzed since the first use.

I haven't really looked into it but o assumed it was the sound of the heating power. I believe It was posted here that each temp has a different algorithm(or whatever) for heating... I think that is why the buzzing sound varies

I cannot hear any buzzing noise in my unit whatsoever. If I hold it any closer to my ear I'll get burned. :lol:

Last edited:
Not a glitch. It's in Stand-by or Sleep mode. I didn't get a clear answer on how long it takes to enter stand-by mode, but obviously 20 minutes is enough. Just touch the buttons once and release and it wakes and starts heating on the next touch.
I don't get this. Does it maintain some heating in this standby time. It seems if it heats up from cold in about 4 seconds why does it need any more states then off or on.

MonsterWithoutBorders,

Stoney Baloney

Cannabis Connoisseur
Wait, so is it normal to hear buzzing when it's on concentrate mode or not? cuz I definitely hear a buzzing noise when it's activated and I hold it next to my ear!

Stoney Baloney,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I don't get this. Does it maintain some heating in this standby time. It seems if it heats up from cold in about 4 seconds why does it need any more states then off or on.

I don't know the purpose of the feature.....just that it's a feature and not a bug. ;)

It can heat back up quickly if it's still warm obviously....and the ambient temp has a lot to do with it. If you're in a warm room it'll attain the target temp faster.

mitchgo61,

jwcsal

Hey guys! Is there any post that has some good info and tips about the Firefly 2 maybe talking about the best ways to hit it? Thanks!

jwcsal,

hi_there

Does the mouthpiece have a 'right-side-up'? It seems the top open part needs to face up?

hi_there,

murf2010

Mine too. Having same
Issue.

murf2010,

toked23

Does the mouthpiece have a 'right-side-up'? It seems the top open part needs to face up?
I assume up on mine as well, at least from looking at the piece while pulled from the unit

On a seperate note, how many hits are you all getting out of one load of material?

Last edited:
toked23,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom