The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggie Watts

Here's my feedback regarding the "buzzing" when using the unit, I don't hear anything. I haven't tried using it in total silence like at 3 in the morning silence, but if it is totally quiet at my home I don't hear anything. Haven't tried putting it up to my ear yet. If I don't hear it while using it, then for me I don't care if it makes a noise next to my ear in utter silence.

The buzzing never bothered me, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign of possible future malfunction. Apparently it's not, so I'm fine now. But clearly that is something that one would want to investigate upon discovering it.

Hey guys, so I just got my blue FF2 in the mail today and am having a few issues, despite an amazing first session.
1. The green light will not blink when heating and just turn solid, even if I tap the buttons before to wake it up.
2. The Green light turns off even if I am still holding the button after about 10 seconds and the heating element deactivates. This is frustrating since I would prefer slow, longer draws.

My apologies if these have been answered already, I tried searching and could find these specific issues. Thanks!

MikeMcSnipe,

jay87

@MikeMcSnipe I'd recommend resetting the heater whenever you think your draw is getting close to the auto shutoff.

I usually reset the heater every draw and if I take an exceptionally long draw I'll quickly release and then push the button again to reset the heater if I feel that it might shut off.

I don't really notice the auto shut off at all using this method.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Hey guys, so I just got my blue FF2 in the mail today and am having a few issues, despite an amazing first session.
1. The green light will not blink when heating and just turn solid, even if I tap the buttons before to wake it up.
2. The Green light turns off even if I am still holding the button after about 10 seconds and the heating element deactivates. This is frustrating since I would prefer slow, longer draws!

It's doing this every time, on every hit, after only 10 seconds? The auto shutoff should be around 30....10 is not right. (Jay is correct, you can re-press every 7 or 8 seconds and get extended draws this way, but you shouldn't have to do that as a workaround.)

Try the following....

1. Put in the other battery and charge it fully.
2. Change the heat setting in the app (put it on Hiigh if you haven't already).

See if either of those helps. Let us know!

mitchgo61,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

DarkSm0ke

I must admit all the buzz about the buzzing cracks me up a bit. I guess I'm an old-school stoner...when I'm firing my vapes, I have music playing, usually at a pretty decent volume, and I would never notice the hum. But I also cannot stand to be in a quiet room, even at night, so I guess I'm a prime candidate for someone who would never notice the sound.

So two things. One, it should be a SOLID red when it overheats (the FLASHING red is indeed a dead battery....though, in my current unit, I never get a flash....just a totally dead, no-light-at-all FF). Two, I know what you mean...you can get the solid red when the unit doesn't feel all that hot. I asked about this when I was testing the prototype (same behavior) and was told there's an internal sensor that is reading the temp, and the body of the unit may not feel all that hot, but the sensor is reading too warm, and shuts off the heater till it cools down).

I personally get the red light every day. I guess I push that fucker to the max when I'm in a serious session mode, and like once a day I push it too far and get the red. It doesn't really bother me...less than 60 seconds on a glass table and it's cool again. It's probably a good thing...it forces me to slow down. :p

Okay SOLID RED, but I am pretty sure mine just blinked red. That is odd because after it cooled down I manually checked the battery and it worked, had like 3 blinks. I think I usd it later in the same evening with that same battery.

I am going to have to ahem, "force" myself to take bowl after bowl and see if it will replicate. The things I do in the name of science! :rofl:

I will provide feed back. Probably this weekend and I will start with a fully charged battery.

greenextinguisher

Now that I've dialed-in the draw, I went back to experiment with packing techniques. I more or less 100% agree with @mitchgo61 findings from prototype testing.

fluffy / light packing does get the job done. It also provides a much more even extraction on par with the 'cano. The material tends to mix itself while pulling but, if not, a couple of taps does the job. With this technique there is no over-extraction and you really never need to remove the lid to mix. Its nice and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is the experience the designers were going for. I think this is where I'll ultimately end up for most sessions as its a really clean experience.

On the other hand, you will be reloading more often rather than stirring very frequently. Big clouds are more elusive and you can make the argument that its less satisfying than packing heavy and stirring regularly which gives very 'full' hits but runs the risk of over extracting some bits.

With this device you have options--each with their trade offs.

First road trip this weekend with the 'fly!

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Is the battery runtime of the FF2 better than the Grasshopper?

I haven't run a controlled experiement but I do think the FF battery lasts longer, neither are hard to change though, I can change the Grasshoppper battery while walking

slcbdco,
Reactions: Kermitt

booga

Hey guys, I'm new here. I have a red Firefly 2 and I love it so far. I would like to say that how you hit this device and how you load it are the 2 most important factors in getting it to perform the way it was intended. I think I read somewhere on here that someone was using the concentrate pad on top of small amounts of herb to get a nice vapor. Tried it last night and it worked really well! I only covered the bottom metal with herb a very small amount and was able to get a lot of hits. Any one else want to throw in what they have learned and how they load? I'm still trying to get the perfect load / draw but I think I'm there for the most part. Thanks guys.

Morimoto

It's been 1 month with my blue FireFly2 and it smells glorious when I take the lid off, like the sweetest thc concentrate honey ever, much better than other vapes insides or reclaim!

I'm truly happy with my purchase, I recommended it to a few people already and did some demos to a few dealers & friends who were impressed. Anyhoo I made a FireFly2 4K vaporbong video today and wanted to share with ya'll :)

Just a standard pinch of the good ole' captain's cupboard and a fresh vaporbong

Pears

It's been 1 month with my blue FireFly2 and it smells glorious when I take the lid off, like the sweetest thc concentrate honey ever, much better than other vapes insides or reclaim!

I'm truly happy with my purchase, I recommended it to a few people already and did some demos to a few dealers & friends who were impressed. Anyhoo I made a FireFly2 4K vaporbong video today and wanted to share with ya'll :)

Just a standard pinch of the good ole' captain's cupboard and a fresh vaporbong

:drool:

Pears,

DarkSm0ke

Hey guys, I'm new here. I have a red Firefly 2 and I love it so far. I would like to say that how you hit this device and how you load it are the 2 most important factors in getting it to perform the way it was intended. I think I read somewhere on here that someone was using the concentrate pad on top of small amounts of herb to get a nice vapor. Tried it last night and it worked really well! I only covered the bottom metal with herb a very small amount and was able to get a lot of hits. Any one else want to throw in what they have learned and how they load? I'm still trying to get the perfect load / draw but I think I'm there for the most part. Thanks guys.

Welcome to FC @booga!

For me, I like to hand tear my herb and pack the bowl almost to the top and keep it a bit loose. I then take a long slow draw and stir it after the third draw. This seems to work best for me.

I usually use the default medium high setting or high setting, but last night I decided to session with some new bud "Grease Monkey" and try it on low setting. I was totally blown away buy the taste of the terpenes at that temperature setting. It was markedly different than what I taste at medium high, and at that setting the bud tastes great too but not as intense. I vaped that bud on low and finished it off after stirring at medium low. When I was through the ABV was a light brown, which surprised me because at the default setting It is only a bit darker than that. I also got some good visable vapor at the low setting. :clap:

If you haven't already, I urge you to vape a bowl at the low setting to find out how awesome your bud can taste!

On another note, has anyone here vaped any bud that is almost too intense in flavor when using the FF 2? I have some "Golden Pineapple" that is loaded with red hairs. This bud when used in the FF 2 has flavor that is so strong that it tastes spicy. It's great weed but in the FF 2 the flavor almost overwhelms my taste buds. I have vaped it on two different occasions, with the FF 2 clean and my mouth devoid of any previous taste. I am curious if anyone has had a similar experience?

Damn @Morimoto that's sick! Awesome video! :clap:

May I ask what is the model # of that bong? I am in the market to get one and I would love to get one that I could adapt to my FF 2 and my e-nano I just got this week!

Last edited:

Pharoh

Hey now!! I received my Black FF2 this morning... Looking forward to this evening to try this new toy out... i already have Pax2 and Crafty...They work beautiful with zero problems..I was just in the mood for a new toy last week and tuned into FC and saw there was a new FF model...I'd had a couple of whiskeys and had some buying power and pushed the buy button... So far the charging of my batteries and pairing was quite simple...I called FF and they informed me I can't register until they come out with the next app update. The update will have registration on it. He said he believes the new app update should come out next week (6-6-16)..... anyway . I will post my findings and experience later.....

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Welcome to FC @booga!

For me, I like to hand tear my herb and pack the bowl almost to the top and keep it a bit loose. I then take a long slow draw and stir it after the third draw. This seems to work best for me.

I usually use the default medium high setting or high setting, but last night I decided to session with some new bud "Grease Monkey" and try it on low setting. I was totally blown away buy the taste of the terpenes at that temperature setting. It was markedly different than what I taste at medium high, and at that setting the bud tastes great too but not as intense. I vaped that bud on low and finished it off after stirring at medium low. When I was through the ABV was a light brown, which surprised me because at the default setting It is only a bit darker than that. I also got some good visable vapor at the low setting. :clap:

If you haven't already, I urge you to vape a bowl at the low setting to find out how awesome your bud can taste!

On another note, has anyone here vaped any bud that is almost too intense in flavor when using the FF 2? I have some "Golden Pineapple" that is loaded with red hairs. This bud when used in the FF 2 has flavor that is so strong that it tastes spicy. It's great weed but in the FF 2 the flavor almost overwhelms my taste buds. I have vaped it on two different occasions, with the FF 2 clean and my mouth devoid of any previous taste. I am curious if anyone has had a similar experience?

May I ask what is the model # of that bong? I am in the market to get one and I would love to get one that I could adapt to my FF 2 and my e-nano I just got this week!

Glad I just took your advice on the low temp setting! Delicious! and yes I also get some thin clouds, I can actually get clouds on every temp with this vape, I think it's a matter of the right draw and not too tightly packed

purplenurple24

Hey @DarkSm0ke, I have vaped a couple different strains that produced really strong-flavored vapor. Some of them are delicious. Some are "different." I can't really describe it, but there are definitely some flavors that aren't my favorite. It's pretty interesting.

DarkSm0ke

Hey @DarkSm0ke, I have vaped a couple different strains that produced really strong-flavored vapor. Some of them are delicious. Some are "different." I can't really describe it, but there are definitely some flavors that aren't my favorite. It's pretty interesting.

Hey @purplenurple24 I totally agree. Some strains that taste okay in my Pax 2, are a little overwhelming in taste in my FF 2. This is actually awesome because it really opens up another dimension in bud appreciation!

I have heard that some strains have a "fuel" smell like sour diesel. If that is the case then I am pretty sure that would not be my first choice. Now when I get my meds I try and choose buds that aren't too strong or pungent if I am going to vape in the FF 2. For the Pax 2 and the nano, it is not so critical. If I am not sure I just buy a gram and try it out.

The FF2 is like a magnifying glass for your taste buds! So Awesome! :rockon:

Glad I just took your advice on the low temp setting! Delicious! and yes I also get some thin clouds, I can actually get clouds on every temp with this vape, I think it's a matter of the right draw and not too tightly packed

I totally agree @slcbdco, loose pack and long slow draw works for me at any temp! I am going to go back and try some of my other strains that I have vaped at medium high, but this time on low. Pretty sure the flavor profile will be greatly pronounced and tasty! :lol:

DarkSm0ke,
Reactions: slcbdco

C4PO

What is causing the smell is the foam in the Firefly box. The foam smells very strong and it is transferring to the FF2 device. The odor is not caused by the device itself but from the white foam packing material.:2c:

Confirmed. I noticed the same when I got something out of the box earlier.

purplenurple24

Hey @purplenurple24 I totally agree. Some strains that taste okay in my Pax 2, are a little overwhelming in taste in my FF 2. This is actually awesome because it really opens up another dimension in bud appreciation!

I have heard that some strains have a "fuel" smell like sour diesel. If that is the case then I am pretty sure that would not be my first choice. Now when I get my meds I try and choose buds that aren't too strong or pungent if I am going to vape in the FF 2. For the Pax 2 and the nano, it is not so critical. If I am not sure I just buy a gram and try it out.

The FF2 is like a magnifying glass for your taste buds! So Awesome! :rockon:

I totally agree @slcbdco, loose pack and long slow draw works for me at any temp! I am going to go back and try some of my other strains that I have vaped at medium high, but this time on low. Pretty sure the flavor profile will be greatly pronounced and tasty! :lol:
Yeah, I know that the diesel strains are pretty popular, but they are not my favorite (flavor-wise) I have put a couple different diesel strains through my FF2 and I'm not sure how I feel about them. Definitely not my favorite flavor, but I tend to like indica dom and 'fruity' sativas more. All about preference I guess!

purplenurple24,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

Verax

What is causing the smell is the foam in the Firefly box. The foam smells very strong and it is transferring to the FF2 device. The odor is not caused by the device itself but from the white foam packing material.

:2c:

If that were the case, I would expect the outside to smell (which it does not), the smell originates from the inside of the lid, and pretty clearly points to the gasket I think.

That being said, I've used mine for 4 bowls, and the smell is completely gone for me. No trace.

I LOVE it! It's exactly what I was hoping for, and will probably be my primary portable vape this summer.

My 2 pieces of feedback:

1 - I wish I could change the heat setting from the unit itself. Like a double tap of both buttons or something.

2 - I wish the glow showed up more for the user, while toking. It looks great for everyone else, but I wish I could experience the glow more from the top of the device while I'm pulling. I think the FF1 was a little bit better about that. It's a complete nitpick, but it would make my experience a bit better. :)

3 - Custom heat settings - Right now, I wish I had a setting in between Med and Med High. It would be cool to be able to choose the actual temp for each profile. (like the crafty)

**EDIT**

I should note some of the positives as well, to be fair :)

1 – the size / weight is fantastic. Much improved from the FF1.

2 – The lid design is much better. It seems like there is less draw resistance from the lid (as chucks would always get stuck in the grooves), and it is so much easier to clean! No more cleaning the grooves and channel, just wipe it down.

3 – heat settings! Pretty standard for most other vapes nowadays, but it’s a nice addition to the FF line

4 – Swappable batteries, that are the same as the FF1. I love units with swappable batteries. As I already had 2 for my FF1, it’s awesome for trips that I won’t have power for a while, and peace of mind that I could bring 4 batteries with me. :)

5 - Same FF experience - It's still the same root experience as the FF1 - great fit / finish, excellent vapor quality, swappable batteries, easy to maintain, all wrapped in a very nice user experience.

Bravo! :)

Last edited:

Morimoto

@DarkSm0ke It's just a piece from a local bong shop, I love getting high and going in there to browse from time to time, picked this up last year, the only markings are "nice glass" and I googled around last year and http://www.niceglass.net it is a Canadian distributor that does bulk Chinese orders with custom markings (screened for quality on multiple levels!! lol it's not just random glass, they are custom orders for a larger client), then they distribute to vendors all over Canada, I looked on DHgate and couldn't find one exactally the same, I also love getting lost in DHgate :)

@steama AH! the davinci had the same issue eh?! I totally assumed this was the issue when I got mine, I smelled the box, then smelled the lid, then came to the same conclusion about silicone. AND my box foam still smells like a new car after a month, but my FF@ smells like a glorious honey hole :D

Last edited:

booga

Just vaped like 5 hits off the FF at 340 degrees (low). Feeling great! This thing really is amazing. Clean high... There's absolutely no way I'm going back to combustion. Not to mention the taste of the nugs is like crushed up smarties;)

Welcome to FC @booga!

Thanks for the reply @Morimoto , what a warm welcome! Long slow draws do seem to do the trick. I have noticed that a medium long slow draw (MLSD...?) lol can also produce some nice vapor.

Last edited by a moderator:

toked23

A couple of days with the gr8tr grinder and my ff2 has mostly convinced me that my hand tearing wasn't sufficient. After one good load of material I have gotten 10 solid mini clouds over the last 3 days. Just a coarse grind and the medium setting actually. Curious at just how many solids pulls I can get out of one load... Hmmmm. Anyone else grinding rather than hand tear? Anyone have any data to suggest one is better or yada yada yada. 6-8 pulls max with hand tearing abilities....

And a side note, battery died on me and a buddy, decided to combust, taste was awful, smoke after vaping for a while now was horrible to taste, much more than I remember I think anyway. It was just extremely noticeable for sure...

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
A couple of days with the gr8tr grinder and my ff2 has mostly convinced me that my hand tearing wasn't sufficient. After one good load of material I have gotten 10 solid mini clouds over the last 3 days. Just a coarse grind and the medium setting actually. Curious at just how many solids pulls I can get out of one load... Hmmmm. Anyone else grinding rather than hand tear? Anyone have any data to suggest one is better or yada yada yada. 6-8 pulls max with hand tearing abilities....

Raise the heat in addition to a finer grind. You'll get a lot more hits in both med-high and high. Try grinding a little finer, packing a little denser, and raising the heat. Don't bother with medium....just start on Med-High.

Any idea how much you're actually using, weight-wise?

toked23

.12-.13 I think. Not much more than that. I measured it out but can't remember exactly

Medium tastes amazing though!!!??? Don't want to miss out on that

Raise the heat in addition to a finer grind. You'll get a lot more hits in both med-high and high. Try grinding a little finer, packing a little denser, and raising the heat. Don't bother with medium....just start on Med-High.

Any idea how much you're actually using, weight-wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom