the evolution of language and its role on gender identity

crawdad

floatin
i found the video below quite interesting for someone who has not considered gender associations beyond male and female much, the consideration of a non binary gender simply never hit my radar. someone with whom i communicate with professionally had requested to be referred to as they or them stating they identify as non binary so from that i began to educate myself on the issue since it was the first i had heard of it beyond some meme that i barely understood.

(if vid does not match audio, switch to 480)

my take on it is this: be courteous.

Baron23

They and them are plurals. What do they want to use for the singular? Ze?

Modern civilization has managed to survive for thousands of years using gender specific pronouns in our language without becoming the tower of Babel.

Frankly, I find too many people today to be overly sensitive, self-absorbed and clearly have too much time on their hands if this is a significant issue for them. All "in my opinion, only" of course. LOL

Last edited:

duff

Well worn
As a guy that does websites and databases for both for profit and non-profit companies, this is a never-ending conversation with no "correct" answer.

I do work for one agency that serves the LBGT community specifically and we struggle with how many choices we need for one silly piece of demographic data.

However, when you interact with them regularly the importance of pronouns is quickly apparent.

If inclusion is important to me than it takes very little effort to respect their wish even if it's hard for me to understand.

Just one dopey data guy's opinion.

crawdad

floatin

Ohmie

Govrnmnt fund adult circumcision & frenuloplasty!
i found the video below quite interesting for someone who has not considered gender associations beyond male and female much, the consideration of a non binary gender simply never hit my radar. someone with whom i communicate with professionally had requested to be referred to as they or them stating they identify as non binary so from that i began to educate myself on the issue since it was the first i had heard of it beyond some meme that i barely understood.

(if vid does not match audio, switch to 480)

my take on it is this: be courteous.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
This is more like the exact opposite of evolution of language. Sad that 30,000 children a day starve to death and we avoid those conversations with pseudo-issues like this.

I think from now on I will identify with myself as the sea monster, fuck all of you who can't see me for who I really am.

Ohmie

Govrnmnt fund adult circumcision & frenuloplasty!
change.jpg

Last edited:
Ohmie,
Reactions: Squiby

ichibaneye

Vapriot, Traveler & Vaporizer/ing lover!
The chromosomes don't lie. We are ONLY men or women or some are just fucking 5150. Government programming at its finest working on the simple minded. De-evolution is what it is! That is all, class dismissed.

ichibaneye,
Reactions: Ohmie
Top Bottom