The CORRECT way to store your bud?

pop22

I hate those humidity packs and toss them in the trash as soon as I find them in my bud. I feel like they do more harm than good like stealing terps away. It seems like when I was using them, my jars never smelled as good. I've seen people on reddit mentioning about cutting those things up and the inside smelling like weed. So it seems right with my experiences using them. If my bud is too dry, I'd rather use a 'hydro stone' or something similar to rehydrate it some.
I've been using Boveda packs for 10 years now, they have NO affect on terpenes. People using them in humidors for VERY expensive cigars for a reason, they work well!

pop22

I still use Mason jars and Boveda 62% humidity control packs. I've done this for ten years now. When I open a jar after a thirty day cure, you can smell the terps from 20 ft away!

I'm experimenting with Grove bags right now and so far they seem effective. No need for boveda packs. They are pretty high tech yet simple.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Having access to a few different strains made me look into some small containers for ground herb (bulk storage is qurt mason jars) for easy access/daily use and I found the CVault Small Twist (7-14g capacity).
They also make an Extra-Small (XSmall) but no stock where I go mine.
1697707926563-jpg.49621

1697707562702-jpg.49622

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Having access to a few different strains made me look into some small containers for ground herb (bulk storage is qurt mason jars) for easy access/daily use and I found the CVault Small Twist (7-14g capacity).
They also make an Extra-Small (XSmall) but no stock where I go mine.
1697707926563-jpg.49621

1697707562702-jpg.49622

I have these, a little better then the gen. #1 pop on lids, but beware… I don’t find them to seal well. Okay for herb you will go through in a few days, but not for much longer before the pack starts to lose moisture…

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I don’t find them to seal well.
Thanks for the heads up @RustyOldNail, I believe the 8g Boveda pack may be the culprit, the corners cover the silicone gasket if not folded just right, I swapped for 4g Boveda packs so, hopefully, this will not happen (although I can see a pressure mark on the one pictured above so may need 2x in each to stop them moving). I should be OK as these little containers get emptied every other day or so.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
I've been using Boveda packs for 10 years now, they have NO affect on terpenes. People using them in humidors for VERY expensive cigars for a reason, they work well!

And I've managed for 30 years to avoid them.

Tried them few times.

If you have dried and cured CORRECTLY I think they are a waste of time and money. And possibly rob something from the herb.

But I understand that some bought herb can be too dry. Maybe effective for that use case.

I don't SMOKE cigars so can't comment on their effectiveness there....

Just commenting as a counter balance as you seem so sure.....

pop22

And I've managed for 30 years to avoid them.

Tried them few times.

If you have dried and cured CORRECTLY I think they are a waste of time and money. And possibly rob something from the herb.

But I understand that some bought herb can be too dry. Maybe effective for that use case.

I don't SMOKE cigars so can't comment on their effectiveness there....

Just commenting as a counter balance as you seem so sure.....
I've cured by every method you can name, and humidity controlled environment always produces superior cured bud. This is based on science not anecdotal conjecture. But hey, whatever produces the results you want is fine also.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
I've cured by every method you can name, and humidity controlled environment always produces superior cured bud. This is based on science not anecdotal conjecture. But hey, whatever produces the results you want is fine also.
I don’t think the point was about humidity controlled environment, it was about boveda packs specifically. My local cigar store has a humidifier in their room sized humidor and I imagine thats how most bud is initially dried and cured by burping jars or bins to reduce humidity.

Also, most home humidors are cedar or other wood boxes that are wet down and humidity maintained by wet stones or other devices. Mostly I find boveda packs in the cigar world as a temporary solution when sold and bagged. Tho I’ve also gotten a few bags with a chip of wet cedar in it.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I'm totally with @Chicken No Name .

I've never needed to use moisture packs, and I take umbrage that you might think my method is incorrect! 😉

This thread title gets me annoyed lol. I live in a location where the humidity varies mostly between 40% and 65%. There are a few days where this isn't the case. I absolutely do not need to subject my quality flowers to those moisture packs, and will always choose a leaf of some sort if I need to add moisture in case of a fuck up. I maintain the humidity with monitors, my preference is for monitors that connect to home assistant so that I can keep an eye on them wherever I feel like it, I don't even need to be at home!

IMO, the correct way to store your bud depends on where you live.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Hehe, it's only the thread title that annoys me, because it reads like it's absolute, but it depends on circumstances.

Not only is the title wrong, they're shouting at me too lol!

Last edited:

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Couldn't agree more. The dry and cure is the most critical aspect of the grow, and imo the hardest to get correct.
My point is, having achieved a good dry, over a period of time at decent temps and humidity, then once jarred, bovida packs are not required. If you can provide scientific evidence to back up your claim that bovida packs have NO effect on terps then please provide the links. Otherwise it appears to be based on 'anecdotal conjecture '.

I just come to read “new” comments now and then. I’ve made my choices, have posted the tools I use, and my bud is stored nicely at approximately 62%. Working perfectly for me, so I don’t get ANNOYED on how anyone else decides to store their meds….. :)

I think @Cheebsy was alluding to was the word 'correct' as if all other methods are incorrect. It's just the assertion that there is only one way to do it, and that's simply not the case, as this discussion has demonstrated....

I keep meaning to convert a wine cooler to a drying box as this seems to almost guarantee a proper dry.
Lots of information here:

Chicken No Name,
Reactions: Cheebsy

LesPlenty

Company Rep
My buds can be kept for 2 or more years before using. I dry and burp/cure to 62% (in a 21ltr CVault) then I vac seal the bud with Boveda for long-term storage in quart mason jars. I do this for insurance in case the mason jar loses its seal...cheap insurance for each 3 oz per quart jar. I have only had 1x boveda pack dry out and that was in my daily opening container. I used to only have the one strain for years at a time and I can not tell the difference between old batches compared to new just finished cured bud. I have a small pint Mason jar with an oz and a Boost that has been in storage for 18 months that I will open in another 6 months to see how it affects the buds (if at all).

Last edited:

CANtalk

This thread title gets me annoyed lol. I live in a location where the humidity varies mostly between 40% and 65%. There are a few days where this isn't the case. I absolutely do not need to subject my quality flowers to those moisture packs, and will always choose a leaf of some sort if I need to add moisture in case of a fuck up. I maintain the humidity with monitors, my preference is for monitors that connect to home assistant so that I can keep an eye on them wherever I feel like it, I don't even need to be at home!

IMO, the correct way to store your bud depends on where you live.
It's about time someone mentions that location matters :clap:. I live in a cold Canadian climate where humidity gets 20% low for extended periods of time, it dries the fuck out of cannabis :rolleyes:.

And there's the rub as well (& in consideration of all the other related comments)... there's an optimal way to store cannabis over time (once it's cured) & it's in the 50-60% humidity range.

For best outcomes (in keeping freshness / quality, trap the cannabis in a container that seals it from the air (in that moisture range). And you want to maintain that moisture change, which will change over a few days+.

@Cheebsy has ambient moisture which works well for him and anyone who opens that cannabis every day or so). For longer periods between opening the container, like once a week or less), a Boveda-style moisture packet / the right size hydrostone, etc. can be superior in over burping w/ ambient air. A sealed container brings a more long term stable environment over introducing fresh air regularly (which speeds oxygen & other air-related degradation).

And no, there's no conspiracy theory of moisture packets stealing terps. I'd love to hear the basic chemical plausibility of this :lol:. The terp loss come from the basic fact that quality freshly cured cannabis will lose many of it's most volatile terps / compounds in the first 2-3 weeks after curing. And regardless of storage technique, it will go fast for a bit longer once cracked open / unsealed.

After opening / cured & 2-3 weeks in, in a dry environment here Boveda mason jar stored cannabis has incredible efficiency in my use (only opened once a week or less). And if not incredible, a moisture packet mason jar storage still helps in low moisture locales (<50% humidity) & in low volume users.

As @LesPlenty & others have described, my storage has gone into the 2-4 year range & over a number of years. And that was after years of regular zip bag storage :uhh:. My only advice is to consume as quickly as possible & in my experience up to 1 year of storage w/ mason jars &moisture packets gives limited degradation & similar entourage f/x / highs :tup:

It's nice to break down how & what works, plus why. It's related to location, humidity, use, curing, etc.

Try different things, see what works for you & where you're at :nod: overall

HAF TGIF :razz:, so sorry for any spelling / grammar awkwardness!

Enjoy ur weekend

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
My buds can be kept for 2 or more years before using. I dry and burp/cure to 62% (in a 21ltr CVault) then I vac seal the bud with Boveda for long-term storage in quart mason jars. I do this for insurance in case the mason jar loses its seal...cheap insurance for each 3 oz per quart jar. I have only had 1x boveda pack dry out and that was in my daily opening container. I used to only have the one strain for years at a time and I can not tell the difference between old batches compared to new just finished cured bud. I have a small pint Mason jar with an oz and a Boost that has been in storage for 18 months that I will open in another 6 months to see how it affects the buds.

EXACTLY…..

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
My buds can be kept for 2 or more years before using. I dry and burp/cure to 62% (in a 21ltr CVault) then I vac seal the bud with Boveda for long-term storage in quart mason jars. I do this for insurance in case the mason jar loses its seal...cheap insurance for each 3 oz per quart jar. I have only had 1x boveda pack dry out and that was in my daily opening container. I used to only have the one strain for years at a time and I can not tell the difference between old batches compared to new just finished cured bud. I have a small pint Mason jar with an oz and a Boost that has been in storage for 18 months that I will open in another 6 months to see how it affects the buds (if at all).
Yes this is how I store mine, I'm currently using flower from 2018 harvest so that's over 5 years in storage and will make it to at least 6 years at this rate. It's lost its green colour, looking more brown now but hi once it's ground up it smells great and even after 5 years it's at about 60-70% potency from it's peak. I might keep one jar for 10 years as an experiment, assuming I'm still around to sample it 😅

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
If storing long term, I will vacuum seal the container with cured flower at the proper humidity and no Bovida/Integra pack. There isn't a need.

If a storage container is used for shorter term storage (e.g., opened every few days to grab some flower), I often used humidity packs to prevent over drying.

I believe there is some potential for "terp" absorption with packs or other things stored inside a container, but it is so minimal that it isn't a real issue. You lose more when terps volatilize and escape when opening the container.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Harvest is done, so storage comes up again.
Regular mouth quart mason jars work well for me. Easy to fill, easy to seal.
Had the flats of jars delivered. One jar broke in shipping, but I didn't have to haul them around, so it's fine.
Trying Wiseorb 2 way humidity packs 62% this season.
Got a second vacuum jar sealer to help with sealing. It helped to have both running. No need for rings after vacuum sealing, so they're put aside.
Using some hygrometer, but more like every sixth jar. Don't want plastic and batteries in every jar.
Got crop cut, trimmed, washed, hung, dried, manicured, jarred, vacuum sealed, and in storage. Didn't burp jars this year. Opened each jar once to check humidity and insert humidity pack, then vacuum sealed.

Making sure everything was dry dry before jarring, and not mostly dry then drying by burping has already made a difference. The chlorophyll taste is gone, and I'm already using some of the 2023 crop.

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Making sure everything was dry dry before jarring, and not mostly dry then drying by burping has already made a difference. The chlorophyll taste is gone, and I'm already using some of the 2023 crop.
Thanks for the detail! How long did you hang/dry/cure?

feralcomprehension,

Adobewan

Harvest is done, so storage comes up again.
Regular mouth quart mason jars work well for me. Easy to fill, easy to seal.
Had the flats of jars delivered. One jar broke in shipping, but I didn't have to haul them around, so it's fine.
Trying Wiseorb 2 way humidity packs 62% this season.
Got a second vacuum jar sealer to help with sealing. It helped to have both running. No need for rings after vacuum sealing, so they're put aside.
Using some hygrometer, but more like every sixth jar. Don't want plastic and batteries in every jar.
Got crop cut, trimmed, washed, hung, dried, manicured, jarred, vacuum sealed, and in storage. Didn't burp jars this year. Opened each jar once to check humidity and insert humidity pack, then vacuum sealed.

I'm a newbie and wasn't aware of the "washing" stage. Is that exclusive to outdoor grows and is that a water rinse sort of thing?
Best of luck with your crop!

Adobewan,

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
I'm a newbie and wasn't aware of the "washing" stage. Is that exclusive to outdoor grows and is that a water rinse sort of thing?
Best of luck with your crop!
Washing is probably more typical for outdoor grows, but might be used for indoor in certain cases. For example, if you needed to remove residue of some kind.

Photonic,
Reactions: Adobewan

LesPlenty

Company Rep
but beware… I don’t find them to seal well. Okay for herb you will go through in a few days, but not for much longer before the pack starts to lose moisture…
I noticed the lids could 'pop' off if not twisted on far enough as described by @RustyOldNail, I have added grippers to the containers and now I am able to twist the lids on tighter (I can actually twist past the cam locks and open) and have had no more Boveda packs(or the herbs) dry out and am now very happy with the containers.
1705807292931-jpg.51410

Top Bottom