The Chinese SJK Induction Heater and The VapCap

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Ha! I got it yesterday a day early! I ordered Dave's stuff for it though so I'm waiting on it to get here b4 I try it.

Why wait, hold it in by hand.
FWI: I ordered the same mod from Ddave on Monday, no shipping notice. It does say on the site shipping is delayed, so I can’t complain.

But, start using the IH, or you could be waiting a long time....

RustyOldNail

Not vaping at the moment but I used this 15mm to 10mm adapter that came with a bong (7mm approx slither of cork is also at back of silicone hat). Quite thick glass though

https://ibb.co/KLMnFsN

https://ibb.co/616ftLT

2-C630-D3-E-C58-E-44-C3-BFFA-83-A33223-CF26.jpg

My current theory is while glass may not effect the current in the IH, using thick glass can potentially act as a heat sink if the VC tip is resting or pressed against the glass. This could effect how long it takes to clicks. In your linked photos, that glass does look thick, though hard to tell how much it is in contact with the glass. I found a little glass jar that fits in the IH silicone sleeve insert. The rubber band on the very edge keeps it in place and allows me to secure it at various inner depths. See photo above. I ordered the DDave insert mod to see if it’s any better then the quick one I’m using.

I’m currently using a K-Type bead wire thermocoupler running all the way up to and secured to SS stock VC screen. No load. VapCap 20m. Trying to find best depth to set my cup mod to, and if keeping the tip centered makes any difference in heating evenly and efficiently. Photo below.

29-FDCF02-45-C2-46-A6-A796-0855-C943808-B.jpg

JJ785

My current theory is while glass may not effect the current in the IH, using thick glass can potentially act as a heat sink if the VC tip is resting or pressed against the glass. This could effect how long it takes to clicks. In your linked photos, that glass does look thick, though hard to tell how much it is in contact with the glass. I found a little glass jar that fits in the IH silicone sleeve insert. The rubber band on the very edge keeps it in place and allows me to secure it at various inner depths. See photo above. I ordered the DDave insert mod to see if it’s any better then the quick one I’m using.

I’m currently using a K-Type bead wire thermocoupler running all the way up to and secured to SS stock VC screen. No load. VapCap 20m. Trying to find best depth to set my cup mod to, and if keeping the tip centered makes any difference in heating evenly and efficiently. Photo below.

Hi..informative post..You may have a point regarding the thick glass adapter acting as heatsink, as (IIRC) it did take a little longer compared to having nothing inside the hat. Even with an empty hat, heating up the 2019 M takes a bit too long for my liking (the third/ fourth heat ups of a single load require pulling out and in again). I'm thinking of trying out a ti tip for hopefully quicker performance. Also a glass stem to insert the DV further without concerns for over heating the o rings.

Your glass jar looks great. Could you link to it? I'm in the UK though, so may not be available here.:myday:

Last edited:
JJ785,

RustyOldNail

I don't understand why people feel they need a glass insert. What does it do?

If I remember, you asked this before, and if I recall you don’t mind holding the VC manually in the unit.
I do, seeing as it turns the heater on, after insertion, why not make it even easier, as I often get the click after the 4th and last cycle, approximately 10 seconds. Personally, I like tossing it in a “holder”, doesn’t have to be glass, but that’s what I have laying around. A bonus if the glass is cup shaped, is not burning the bottom of the silicone insert if you go all the way in, didn’t one of your original photos show just that?
The glass jar I’m using holds both a standard 20M, as well as supporting the longer BB9, HANDS FREE!
There are also times, after the first click n the cap, end of 1st IH cycle, I don’t toke, put DV on magnet, cool click, then right back into the IH, tip is now warmer, using the first cycles for PREHEAT essentially. So that’s 20 seconds I don’t have to manually hold it. Having some device, like the glass jar/cup done logically, allows me some precision on how far into the IH the tip is inserted, and also offers better repeatability if you find the “perfect spot”. Glass might not be the best option, but so far it’s working nicely the way I pictured it in my photos posted above. That’s my perspective so far.

BTW: Thanks for starting this thread, and all the groundwork you did!

RustyOldNail

037381-B1-D659-47-FF-A3-BF-74-F0-B761-BE60.jpg

Just received the @DDave Chinese IH insert MOD. Originally, looking at the online photos of this little mod, I didn’t expect much. Thanks to this forum, at least I discovered it. I used what I had at home, you can see my temporary glass jar setup in photo a few posts up from this one. While it worked okay while I was waiting for the DDave mod, it was wonky. And Dave’s mod is so cheap, I figured let me see what solution he came up with, having proper materials and knowledge of the IH.

Before going further, the other reason to buy it, in my mind, is how many folks do you know take their time to develop a product that is not a money maker, and more likely just a pain to deal with business wise?
ANSWER: FEW

As well as being so specialized for a single cheap Chinese IH model. I wanted to buy it no matter how well my creation worked in comparison. (Dave’s is better). Anyways, cheers to Dave for making such an obscure and cheap add on.

Now, back to mini review. This mod will work on the SKJ Chinese IH heater, regardless of which removable insert the unit comes with. Evidently, there are some models, not sure if they are older units, but some came with a hard plastic insert, on these you place the mod into the insert following the instructions on Dave’s site. Other units, like mine come with a removable silicone insert. On these, you remove that insert and push the mod into the IH hole, with the mods silicone cut out tab folded out. It’s a tight fit, I used a touch of water for lube. I was able to get it flush to the rear of the units hole. The photo above shows how it looks all the way in. Like a stock piece!

I’ve done some temperature tests (see my post further up this page to see thermocoupler photo), with the mod all the way in. The results seem good, so I may not bother pulling it out further for more tests. I’m hoping the sweet spot for heating efficiency is all the way in, but if I get bored I’ll do more tests, with the mod not as deep in the unit. I think Dave nailed it though!

The mod holds both my 20M, and 19m mounted on a BB9 stem, HANDS FREE.

TESTS:

DV 20M at 68f room temp. All tests start with DV at room temp.

First insertion, IH cycles four times, temperature rises, IH times out, immediate reinsertion, after 2nd cycle, CAP CLICK.

TWO TEST RESULTS:

1) Temperature after the first 4 cycles = 266f
2) Temperature after the first 4 cycles = 274f

AFTER IMMEDIATE REINSERTION:

1) Two IH cycles to CLICK = 330f
2) Two IH cycles to CLICK = 351f

SKIP TOKE TEST:

Go to click in IH
Remove till cool down click, NO toke
Right back in to IH till click
FINAL TEMPERATURE = 385f (this is how I roll)

These temperatures above are representative of the inner tip measured on the SS screen, with no load. A fully loaded tip, until the herb is heat soaked is most likely less, not sure the by how much.

NOTE: No probe used on the glass BB9 wand, thermocoupler will NOT fit through the inner glass cooling nipples.

Every test with and without a herb load, got CAP CLICK right after final 4th cycle on IH before auto shutoff, so on a glass wand, the tip heats a bit faster. I’m hoping a Titanium tip will be even faster.

Now you know why the first hit after first heatup, is light vapor. And the second one, more vapor as metal has been preheated. I go to click, but no draw, cool down on magnet, then go back into Heater till click for my preferred vapor level. If you decide to go beyond the click, be careful, the IH heater will keep going, and you could combust. I haven’t yet, I’ll go a few seconds after the click, but no longer. Your mileage may vary, as well as differences between these cheap $50 heaters, using a glass stem, Stainless Steel tip versus Titanium tip (my first Ti tip is on the way). So there are lots of variables, but I can certainly say:

DDaves IH mod is a great and well thought out add on product that is never going to make him rich, so support the dude! If anyone can make a better one, bring it on......

JJ785

@RustyOldNail thanks to the pic in your last post, I removed the silicone hat and used the 10-15mm glass adapter (similar looking glass to DDaves, less the mod) straight in without it. Well, it heats up more effectively, so now get a little cloud out of the first heat up and a bit quicker overall. Strangely, I notice less vapour leakage out the cap because before there was a lot (I thought the cap had fitting issues) and now hardly I notice.

The best thing about the SJK for me is that I no longer have to turn down my music to hear the click, as it's easy to go by the flickering lights instead, and I just let the first 2/3 heat-ups run to the end of the first lot of cycles anyhow.

I'm still interested in trying a TI tip one day if it's a couple of seconds quicker though.

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@RustyOldNail - that full heating cycle - how long did it take? I am curious to know if the DDave modification starts to collect significant vape honey. I find that long heatup times also looses a lot of vape. I see it in my IH and it isn't slow to cook in the least.

TommyDee,
Reactions: LesPlenty

RustyOldNail

@RustyOldNail thanks to the pic in your last post, I removed the silicone hat and used the 10-15mm glass adapter (similar looking glass to DDaves, less the mod) straight in without it. Well, it heats up more effectively, so now get a little cloud out of the first heat up and a bit quicker overall. Strangely, I notice less vapour leakage out the cap because before there was a lot (I thought the cap had fitting issues) and now hardly I notice.

The best thing about the SJK for me is that I no longer have to turn down my music to hear the click, as it's easy to go by the flickering lights instead, and I just let the first 2/3 heat-ups run to the end of the first lot of cycles anyhow.

I'm still interested in trying a TI tip one day if it's a couple of seconds quicker though.

The Titanium Tip, heats up about the same time in the SKJ, as the 2019m, both are faster to heat to click then the thicker 2020m SS tip.

RustyOldNail

@RustyOldNail - that full heating cycle - how long did it take? I am curious to know if the DDave modification starts to collect significant vape honey. I find that long heatup times also looses a lot of vape. I see it in my IH and it isn't slow to cook in the least.

It’s about 15 seconds for the full 4 heating cycles before shutoff on SKJ IH. As soon as I go back in, I get the click on the Titanium tip, on the Ti Simrell stem. I don’t believe the metal stem is robbing much heat, since the same Ti tip on the glass BB9, heats to click maybe 1 second earlier. However, the top part of the stem where the tip is inserted, does get pretty hot after the 2nd heatup, and some quick dip ins to finish a packed bowl. I’m glad I bought the LONG Simrell stem, the heat is far enough away not to be an issue. The orings seem fine, after all they are high heat silicone.

I have never seen any deposits in the DDave mod, or my own glass cup insert. ISO QTIP wipe inside, shows nothing. Do you see “honey” on the vertical IH’s? As you know the stem lays horizontal on an SKJ IH.

RustyOldNail,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
That's a fairly hot IH then. I was thinking you were parking there 30-40 seconds just waiting to get a draw :suspicious:

TommyDee,

RustyOldNail

That's a fairly hot IH then. I was thinking you were parking there 30-40 seconds just waiting to get a draw :suspicious:

Yeah, I looked at the video for the JoJo portable, looked like 10-11 seconds to click, no mention of what tip. Seems the Apollo’s are under 10 seconds from various user reports, and timing online videos. I may end up getting the JoJo one as it’s the only 3 - 18650 battery version besides the more expensive Flexer, that I know of. And now that he is adding another product to build, and is only up to July of last year on the “list”, waiting a year for a portable..............

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: TommyDee

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I only use my SJK for rosin tool heating to get the last of it off my collection tools and into the pucks, I prefer my 2x18650 $10 homemade (solderless) unit as the bit slower heat time seems like better flavor for me.:2c:

RustyOldNail

Interesting, will give the 2020 a miss. I think @Hackerman found TI a bit quicker though:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/t...ater-and-the-vapcap.29630/page-3#post-1281359

Read the post you linked to again:
“I thought I would test the stainless steel tip that came with my M18 and see how well it works with this heater.”

I don’t have a M18 tip. My tests were using 19M & 20M, and yes, they are different “mass”. Results on a different IH would of course not apply.

RustyOldNail,

JJ785

Read the post you linked to again:
“I thought I would test the stainless steel tip that came with my M18 and see how well it works with this heater.”

I don’t have a M18 tip. My tests were using 19M & 20M, and yes, they are different “mass”. Results on a different IH would of course not apply.

cool.

Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with the performance of mine with the glass adapter (see pic below). The DDave would be too costly to import here to be worthwhile.

https://ibb.co/Lt8jjpQ

Gottawin

For those of you that have disconnected your internal fans. I was just wondering if you guys have run into any issues?

Gottawin,
Reactions: LesPlenty
Top Bottom