The Bud Toaster - (currently: Model 14, version 3)

skippymcware

Yeah, it is pretty large, but, then again, I have no intention of using it in the actual vape. It will be great for prototyping, though. Especially since I would probably spend days trying to solder just one of those tiny pins on the max6675. You should have seen my face when I first saw one of those things. Holy crap, that's small.

skippymcware,

owin

Wow this thing is looking more bad ass every day. Keep up the amazing work. Love reading up on your progress.

owin,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
thanks, owin.

Here it is!!! The next prototype (4c). First vapors at 10:05 AM 9/5/2009
picture.php

Hippie Dickie,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Just a quick post to document the latest progress. This is the "giftable" version, i'm pretty sure. i still have to put it in an enclosure, but that should go okay.

Anyway, yesterday morning, i plugged the batteries into the previous prototype too hard, i heard a "click" (which i thought was just a good mating), and started to vape ... and things went terribly wrong ... there was this glow in the bottom of the vape, BELOW the oven tube ... and i'm thinking "this can't be good".

So, i'm faced with the typical dilemma ... fix that bad boy or push ahead with the next prototype. i was never going to pursue the design choices of the broken one, so i was FORCED to accelerate development (fuck the boss). Alas, a day without vapor.

However, that is the past, this is the now. First vapors!!!

Hippie Dickie,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Look what i found sitting on my desk this morning!

picture.php

The latest member of the Bud Toaster family of never ending prototypes ...

picture.php

Lookin' into the left side

picture.php

Lookin' into the front

picture.php

Lookin' at the right side

picture.php

Continuin' around to the back end

picture.php

Fits comfortably in the hand, and is remarkably light weight, too (after using the battery attached prototype for so long)

picture.php

And, with all LEDs blasting ...

picture.php

Hippie Dickie,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
And, finally, here is the Bud Toaster with the leather-wrapped stainless-steel body cover installed ...

picture.php

Hippie Dickie,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
That's a logical next step.

i'm still plowing ahead with trying to make 5 identical units. i keep nudging components around on the circuit boards to get better manufacturability.

This current unit has the buttons a smidgeon too close to the edge. The cherry wood top and bottom need to be rounded and smoothed, and with the buttons so close to the edge, there could be cracking/splitting which would look crappy, and that would make me sad.

Hippie Dickie,

THC(g)

about how much do these components cost so i can have one before it's patented :brow: disregarding the bud of course

THC(g),

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i don't think i'm going to waste the time to try to patent it. Or, i may patent it and put it in the public domain. Most of the details have been posted by now, so it's all "prior art", i think ...

about $25 for the electronic parts for the digital temperature controller.

about $5 for the wood and leather and screws.

$10 for the digital thermometer

the batteries are $15 each, takes 2 to run and you should have a spare pair.

charger is $50 <--- needs 12vdc up to 10 amps

the ac adapter (provides 12vdc at 6 amps) for the charger is $25.

borosilicate glass tubes:
16mm x 150mm test tube is $1.50
13mm x 100mm test tube is $1.00
12mm x 35mm vial is $0.50

Parts total about $175 complete and ready to run.

Assembly extra.

Hippie Dickie,
Reactions: outletboy

vap999

Hippie Dickie said:
i don't think i'm going to waste the time to try to patent it. Or, i may patent it and put it in the public domain. Most of the details have been posted by now, so it's all "prior art", i think ...
With your full disclosures (publication) on FC ( prior art disclosure), you no longer can receive patents in most every country in the world, except the U.S., where you have 1 year from first public disclosure to file for a patent.

Do you have a real (patentable) breakthrough in small heater temperature control? If so and you plan on getting into the vaporizer business, patents may be something to think about. The primary value of patents is to restrict others from using your invention while you get exclusive use of it. If you plan on founding a mass market vaporizer company based on your designs, you might find it worthwhile to get patents (with any patents good only for marketing hype). But I doubt that you actually have something truly patentable; and I presume other engineers could easily design around any patents.

I also doubt there is a market for licensing of vaporizer technologies to other companies. What company, established or new, is going to want to use someone else's technology? Established companies appear pretty much set in their ways, dedicated to their same old and few technologies, designs, materials, etc. The most recent truly advanced and novel vaporizer to come on the market that I can think of is the Magic Flight Launch Tube/Box from a newcomer, and that was early this year. If each established vaporizer company introduced 1 innovative product annually or even every other year, we'd have a lot more choices.

vap999,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
That pretty much summarizes the situation as i see it too. i think there are a few "innovations" that make this a very unique design, and could be claimed in a patent. But i also think the places that can make such a device in volume don't much care about intellectual property rights.

i first published the fundamental design (the claimable part) on OverGrow about 7 years ago.

i'm going to take a branding approach to marketing. Here is the (open source) hardware design. If anyone wants to make it, and sell it, the med mj community would benefit greatly. i'm all for that. But if the market wants the vapes that Hippie Dickie makes, they will pay my price or go make their own.

i think a fair price for my vape - complete and ready to run with guarantee and warranty - will be the price of one oz of bud -- around here that is $500.

if i can finally stop fiddling with the design, and actually make 5 that are the same, i'll take step-by-step construction and assembly photos and post a thread.

Hippie Dickie,

Bubar

Could you post a hex file for download?? I don't have an assembly compiler installed. I have a few 12f683's laying around from another project. I'd love to run your algorithm against mine.

Bubar,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
how do i post a hex file? you have an open access FTP site?

i have 6 .asm files, total of 57.9KB, for 1065 words of code, 983 words free (for now, lol).

here is the link for the MPLAB IDE (Integrated Developer Environment):
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/i..._PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en019469#P140_5618

and at the bottom of that page is this link to get the IDE itself (free download):
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_IDE_8_36.zip

Actually, now that i think about it, you would have to have the same button setup as i have to be able to get the vape software to run the code ... it hangs waiting for 2 second button press on BTN3. That means the same resistor ladder network and 3.3v dc supply.

Hippie Dickie,

Bubar

I was thinking you could post a .zip file to rapidshare or something. Or, I'll just write an email to you and you can reply back with an attachment.

Bubar,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i looked into RapidShare -- too much controversy for my taste ... send me an email to hippie_dickie@hotmail.com and i will return the .asm files by attachment.

Hippie Dickie,

Bubar

Could you try sending the hex file? I tried to compile your code files but I'm getting a ton of symbol not previously defined and must be declared in an appropriate section errors.

Bubar,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i never see those errors.

What are you using to compile the code? Did you install MPLAB IDE? Maybe you didn't build the project correctly?

Maybe we should set a time when you're online and we can "talk" -- shouldn't take long to work out the . my time is GMT-5

i don't think it will help, but i just sent you the .HEX and .LST files.

Hippie Dickie,

Bubar

Thanks for the hex. I successfully programmed the pic and will build and test your model tomorrow. I'm on -8GMT, but I think I got the situation under control.

Bubar,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Cool! i look forward to seeing your results.

i should have mentioned that i built the project as absolute code, not relative. i think that's where those section errors came from. The sequence of includes (in Main.asm) should have prevented the symbol not previously defined errors.

Just out of curiousity, how was the hex useful?

Hippie Dickie,

Bubar

I got too busy to test, but I will try and do it by wednesday or thursday. The hex is useful, because I just took that and flashed it to the pic. The hex is what the pic uses, so unless you're interested in how the code works that's all you need. I think I can figure out everything else from your diagrams.

Side note: my model is working well now(~2C swing). When I get a chance I'll take some action shots. i've got knob control instead of buttons and an lcd readout.

Bubar,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
well, the code is just not going to run unless you jump around the wait loop for the 2 second Button 3 press.

Are you driving the LCD readout from the PIC or is it an independent module?

Edited to specify BUTTON 3 (as described in post #140 above)

Hippie Dickie,

Bubar

My vape is powered by an 18f pic so lcd is easy. A 16f can do it also, but you need the beefy ones, as sprintl the method for turning numbers + letters into chars for the lcd is quite memory intensive.

Jump around the wait loop? huh? Can I just press button 2 for 2 seconds when the vape powers up?

Bubar,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
yes. i thought you said you didn't use buttons??? BTN3 input is 1.10 volts -- the code tests for a value >1.0 v but less than 1.5 v -- Hex values are $0136 (= 310.) to $01D1 (= 465.)

Edited to specify BUTTON 3 (as described in post #140 above)

Hippie Dickie,
Top Bottom