The aesthetics of lighting up...

basement farmer

My face is melting...
Does anyone else value/ appreciate the non-tangible experience of using fire as their vaping heat source?

I personally like the fact that, by using a lighter, there is more variation between bowls and hits with some being better than others, but having those occasional palate cleansers between perfect hits. Like the vaping piece, lighters have their own personalities and add yet another variable to the outcome. To many, this would probably be a minus but to me it's a huge plus.

When I cook, I don't usually follow recipes, and if I do, I rarely follow them exactly. Why would/ should vaping be any different?

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
When a person is baking, if they don't follow the recipe, they could really screw up the final dish. So, sometimes it is important to be precise. ;)

To answer your question, I only have one vaporizer that uses flame, my Ubie's. However, I haven't used them in years because it was too difficult for me to keep the flame exactly 2cm from the glass.

Vicki,

Jahannum

(。´∀`)ノ
I do not have any experience with using flame for vaping purposes, however I have found I love the fact I do not have to use flame to medicate(I was a long time smoker of both tobacco and herb). I use a lower temperature setting when I vape and I use my draw speed to control how hot I want the flowers to get(Feels like it gives me the most control over how the herb is vaped).

This however is puresly subjective as I have no experience using flame with vaping. :cheers:

basement farmer

My face is melting...
You should look into the Lotus Vaporizer, may be what you're looking for

I'd second the Lotus for any pyrophobes who want to try fire..

It's almost impossible to ruin a bowl with this unit.

When a person is baking, if they don't follow the recipe, they could really screw up the final dish. So, sometimes it is important to be precise. ;)

To answer your question, I only have one vaporizer that uses flame, my Ubie's. However, I haven't used them in years because it was too difficult for me to keep the flame exactly 2cm from the glass.

I haven't had a ton of experience with electricity so maybe someday I'll be less of a luddite:)

The recipe analogy probably isn't the best choice either...but keeping it in line w. cooking. It's like using gas vs. electricity. Some people value the instant heat and infinite setting of a gas range while others prefer the consistency of an electric. I have to say too, that it's generally easier to burn with gas.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Does anyone else value/ appreciate the non-tangible experience of using fire as their vaping heat source?

I personally like the fact that, by using a lighter, there is more variation between bowls and hits with some being better than others, but having those occasional palate cleansers between perfect hits. Like the vaping piece, lighters have their own personalities and add yet another variable to the outcome. To many, this would probably be a minus but to me it's a huge plus.

When I cook, I don't usually follow recipes, and if I do, I rarely follow them exactly. Why would/ should vaping be any different?

For sure there's a lot of control with a flame to give different effects. Without fire, a lot of that control goes over to inhale speed and strength. One could get lost in all the variables that go into vaping. I kind of like just setting my Solo heat level and doing the rest with breath.

syrupy,

basement farmer

My face is melting...
Yeah. I can dig what you're saying syrupy. I'm afraid that I am one of those occasional users who are less than impressed with the MFLB as a first time vape, and this is said with so many that love the product. It leads me to believe that I am probably missing out on something and would like to eventually invest in a good desk-top.

Looking at the SSV, DBV, LSV or maybe the old-school VBV. Hope I got my abbreviations correct.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Fur sure....I have yet to run across a negative review. I think my expectations from the MFLB was too much and I need to give electric another chance sometime.

I hear you. My dbv gets way more workout than my mflb. LB has the stealth thing going, but it's kind of a novelty.

syrupy,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutation Basement Farmer,

...lighters have their own personalities...

There were pipes in my environment throughout all of my childood, hence pipes are a tradition which is nothing alien to me at all. Now that i use a vaporizing pipe it can only feel familiar and natural; the yellow flame is my prefered because it's silent and sort of relaxing. The use of a blue torch (as with the Lotus) would be a different story: that's one i foresee would look a bit "addicted", eventually!

Mechanics is another important aspect, not to mention i want my lighters to light on the side. My Xikar (soft flame) has been doing fine so far, i don't use blue torches much so it wouldn't seem appropriate to compare...

:peace:

Egzoset,
Reactions: Seren

Nunavut Tripper

I started vaping years ago with a Vapor Genie which is a well built entry level unit but I was concerned about inhaling fumes from the lighter butane plus it was almost impossible to use outdoors as the breeze would flicker the flame all over the place.
So the VG is long gone and much better technology is available now.

Nunavut Tripper,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Nunavut Tripper,

...I was concerned about inhaling fumes from the lighter butane...

While heating a VaporGenie it's always a bad idea to let the flame touch anything, which is the reason why i modified mine in order to gain eye-contact, where it matters most...

...it was almost impossible to use outdoors as the breeze would flicker the flame all over the place.

This was corrected in my modded version as it tolerates blue "jet" flame heating now, with the added benefit it looks stealthier at night.

...much better technology is available now.

Sorry but i must differ of opinion on this as the power of fire happens to be unmatched to this day! Why not consider the Lotus? This pipe has a separate (hence dry but "clean") cannabic path while it works fine with jet lighters as well...

right on basement farmer!

already loved using my gnomes because it felt so natural - but now the lotus is a whole new level, to control temperature directly and instantly with the flame is an amazing experience (with the slider gnome you can get that too, but less direct and more complicated)

the lotus showed me that vaporization is an art form more than any other vape before :)

SoulCaptivesAreFree,
Reactions: Seren

Nunavut Tripper

Salutations Nunavut Tripper,

While heating a VaporGenie it's always a bad idea to let the flame touch anything, which is the reason why i modified mine in order to gain eye-contact, where it matters most...

Great idea Egzoset....I always thought the lighter was too close to my eye.

This was corrected in my modded version as it tolerates blue "jet" flame heating now, with the added benefit it looks stealthier at night.

Sorry but i must differ of opinion on this as the power of fire happens to be unmatched to this day! Why not consider the Lotus? This pipe has a separate (hence dry but "clean") cannabic path while it works fine with jet lighters as well...

I have several other vapes now that fulfill the purpose much better for me. I thought the VG was a good design in the lower price field but I spend a lot of time in the outdoors so a windproof and convenient vape is a necessity.
My daughter still owns it and I wish it was the model in the exotic wood which I thought was attractive but I couldn't buy one at the time.

Nunavut Tripper,

Seren

Away with the fairies
I've got to admit to loving the power of the flame too! I have a Vapman which I bought purely with festivals and wild camping in mind - but more and more often I find I'm using it at home. I enjoy experimenting with flame size & perfecting my technique. :)

Egzoset

Banned
Hi again Nunavut Tripper,
Salutations Seren,

Great idea Egzoset... I always thought the lighter was too close to my eye.

This is a case where one gets double convenience, since the distance provides eye contact combined with vapor cooling - as in the Bronze Sherlock VG Vaporizer model i figure, at least ideally! Using a VaporGenie it's important to be able to garanty that nothing touches the flame, a Lotus vaporizer would resolve this restriction at the cost of producing dry cannabic vapor. To me butane isn't a relevant concern if i must sacrifice moisture from my cannabic vapor, but the Lotus seems to fit water accessories so nicely it would make sense to consider such a trade-off...

:nod:

I thought the VG was a good design in the lower price field...

As i recall i needed six months to gain decent control of a VG Classic pipe (3 pipes actually!), only after i moddified it ~20 times to suit my own needs. Put shortly, lets just say i couldn't use the pipe as sold...

So, i hope it's clear now how "low priced" this particular "opportunity" really felt to me! Euh...

The Bronze pipe might be another story.

I spend a lot of time in the outdoors so a windproof and convenient vape is a necessity.

Since outdoor operation calls for a jet lighter, or possibly even 2 modes (to include a yellow flame feature for pipes), why not something which looks like these:

...I couldn't buy one at the time.

Quality lighters are difficult to find locally these days.

I've got to admit to loving the power of the flame too! I have a Vapman which I bought purely with festivals and wild camping in mind - but more and more often I find I'm using it at home.

This reminds me of a former member who appeared to appreciate his VapMan a great deal: that one sounded pretty much like some fusion between the Lotus and the VaporGenie, actually...

Caligula

Maximus
In other news the Hammer vape has a cyber monday sale. Thing is only $60! There's info in the Hammer thread. I haven't used either but it seems easier than the VG.

Caligula,

Seren

Away with the fairies
Salutations to you too @Egzoset :wave: I must admit, I utterly love my Vapman! The craftsmanship that goes into making them is unreal. It took me a little while and some feedback from FC members to choose between the Lotus and Vapman. I'm more than happy with my choice. The Lotus looks great too, it's most definitely on my 'to-buy-in-the-near-future' list! :)

Seren,

King

Accessory Maker
Salutations to you too @Egzoset :wave: I must admit, I utterly love my Vapman! The craftsmanship that goes into making them is unreal. It took me a little while and some feedback from FC members to choose between the Lotus and Vapman. I'm more than happy with my choice. The Lotus looks great too, it's most definitely on my 'to-buy-in-the-near-future' list! :)

I just purchased a Mica Vaman at the Cannabis Cup (I got it for €75, harass a salesman long enough and they'll throw money at you to leave) and have a Lotus at home. When I have time, which may not be in the near future, I plan on doing a full review of the Vapman and a Vapman/Lotus comparison.

FYI: The MFLB WPA fits perfectly in place of a Vapman mouthpiece.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Caligula,
Hi again Seren,

...the Hammer... ...only $60! ...it seems easier than the VG.

Yes, i'd expect an easier ritual/learning-curve but certainly at the cost of a dryer cannabic vapor (since there's no water vapor collected from the butane burning reaction)... Also i don't find it appealing to depend on a custom lighter which i'd rather drop in exchange for a shape more like, euh... That of a VapMap, actually!...

Still, that's probably a good deal at 60 $ (while it lasts!) in any case... I'd give it a try myself, given the opportunity.

3.gif

...I utterly love my Vapman! ... I'm more than happy with my choice.

Are you into modding? I was wandering around and noticed this picture of a VapMan inserted into what seems to be some glass ("J Hook") pipe, i would think:

:D

Relatively to my path, the Arizer glass Stem became a favourite building-block when not using fire:

If lucky the HerbalAire crucible fits well and then this tandem forms a nice pair:

Since glass can prove to be convenient (where it's most needed), i'm tempted to see the Hammer as an hybridisation attempt meant to combine some of the above features, including the power of fire. E.G. a "clean" path in a sturdy format, but i consider that its handle-mounted lighter hurts the looks a great deal somehow...

Last edited:

Seren

Away with the fairies
I just purchased a Mica Vaman at the Cannabis Cup (I got it for €75, harass a salesman long enough and they'll throw money at you to leave) and have a Lotus at home. When I have time, which may not be in the near future, I plan on doing a full review of the Vapman and a Vapman/Lotus comparison.

FYI: The MFLB WPA fits perfectly in place of a Vapman mouthpiece.

Haha.... congratulations - sounds like you bagged yourself a bargain! :D A direct comparison between the two would be great - that's something I couldn't find when I was weighing up the pro's & cons between them.

Are you into modding? I was wandering around and noticed this picture of a VapMan inserted into what seems to be some glass ("J Hook") pipe, i would think:

That looks great, bet it tastes great too - I think I may just have to get me a J hook when I buy the Lotus to use with them both! ;)

Seren,
Top Bottom