THCa solventless sauce from rosin

I pressed a bunch of kief recently which I had extracted from some trim, shake and small buds using dry ice technique through a 220m filter bag. The pressed rosin came out a little on the darker side, but return was great. I think I may have went a little hotter than I should have on the plate temps (210, I know now to be around 180-190 with a longer press time), but over all when I roll out the rosin flat on parchment it has a nice gold relatively clear appearance. It is super stinky and potent so overall very happy. My problem is that I have too much rosin now that I don't know what to do with!! I recently found some info (articles and videos) online where people are re-pressing actual rosin, the oil that drips out is supposed to basically be just terp sauce (very runny, will not solidify) and what you have left in the screen bag after several sequential presses, each press increasing in temp (starting at 150F first press up to about 200F on final press), is a hard white chalky substance which has been tested and confirmed to be THCa concentrate. Then, according to the tutorials, you place the broken up white stuff (THCa) on to a hot plate with parchment paper at about 180F to then melt down the THCa until its a pool of creamy liquid. Let the liquid dry, and it becomes a milky/opaque rock hard crystalized substance. Finally, you then break it all up again into smaller crushed up pieces/chunks and mix it back in with the terp sauce which was collected from all the sequential presses mentioned above. Sounds great, right?

Well, all it did for me is repress the heated rosin right through the filter bag giving me essentially the same rosin i started with and there was nothing left in the filter bag, no white substance at all. So I went home very excited to make and try a new type of concentrate, but it was a flop. Not sure why it didn't work. I started with a 6.2g chunk of rosin, and in the end I had an identical 5.5g chuck of rosin after collection. So I lost .7g in the process somehow, prob was just caught and left in the screen bag itself. My ideas are either:

A) my starting material was not good enough originally....considering I used trim, shake and small buds to get the kief which I then pressed to get this rosin. But, the rosin seems very high quality, strong, smells and tastes great so I was thinking it should be fine for this process.

B) The consistency of my rosin was not what it should be for this process to work. In one article it takes about preparing your rosin into a wax/butter consistency. This is conflicting, as I view wax and butter as having very different characteristics. My rosin was definitely in more of a wax form, not so much in a creamy buttery form.

C) The rosin was not packed tightly enough in the filter screen bag. After the major flop, i read the article again and it mentions "tightly" wrapping the rosin in a filter bag. I did us 25m filter bags, but there was some space/looseness there so maybe it wasn't able to retain the product correctly and it all just melted through.

Here is a link to the best article I found on the process, and if you check the tube there are a couple videos by reputable press companies showing the process as well. Any ideas anyone may have would be appreciated as I really want to make this work if I can!!

https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/make-thca-crystals-solventless-sauce/

Mikz7

watched a lot of youtube, they all let it budder up, don't really know anything real. but interested tho.

Mikz7,
Top Bottom