THC Vape Juice - From Dry Herb to THC Vape Juice

JokerJR

Howdy all,

Long time reader first time poster. Ok, let’s get straight to it. I’m attempting to make some THC vape juice from some dry herb on a budget, in the most efficient and safest way, in that order.
From considerable reading, I’ve come up with a step by step process, but would appreciate criticism from any and all comers. I’m hoping to refine this process with the right guidance, and identify any potential hazards or lack of efficiency or foresight I’ve had in the end product.
I will be sacrificing 7g of dry herb and my measurements of ethanol for extraction are approx. Ok, from my understanding this is how I will best attempt this feat;

1. Decarb dry herb
  • Preheat oven to 118C (245F)
  • Lightly split herb by hand and place herb in a lightly sealed mason jar.
  • Place a lightly wet kitchen towel on a baking tray, and place mason jar on the kitchen towel.
  • Place in the over for 60 minutes.
  • Shake mason jar every 15 mins.
  • After 60 minutes remove from oven and allow to cool out of direct sunlight.
2. Winterisation
  • Freeze 95% food grade ethanol at -20C (-4F) (in a standard freezer) for 48 hours.
  • Freeze decarbed herb in tact in a ziplock bag at -20C (-4F) (in a standard freezer) 48 hours.
  • Quickly, remove chilled ethanol and herb in ziplock bag from freezer and submerge the herb in ethanol.
  • Ethanol / Herb Ratio I’ve seen are: 4-20ml of ethanol per g of herb (7g) = 28ml - 140ml, but up to 100-150ml per g = 700ml - 1050ml.
  • Swoosh around the ethanol in the ziplock bag, ensuring penetration but careful not to destroy herb for around 30 seconds.
  • Return both ethanol and ziplock back to the freezer.
  • Leave ziplock bag for 3 minutes in the freezer slightly agitating every minute.
  • Filter the contents of ziplock bag into a glass jar lined with .22um filter paper.
  • When contents have drained, replace the ethanol saturated herb back in the ziplock bag, saturate again with measurement of chilled ethanol and return both to the freezer.
  • Keep jar of filtered ethanol extract aside for next step.
  • Perform a second wash, repeating step 5,6,7,8 to create a second ethanol extract.
3. Purging of Ethanol

Ethanol boiling point is 78 °C (173 °F)
THC’s boiling point is 157 °C (315F)
  • Pour extract into a Pyrex tray
  • Heat a hot water bath to 70-80C (158-176F) and place bottle caps inside to elevate the Pyrex tray and ensure even distribution of heat.
  • Heat Pyrex tray until no more big bubbles of solvent are created.
  • Draw extract through a syringe and express through a .22um syringe filter, for continued heat.
  • Place back in water bath, until formation of small bubbles on edge drastically reduces.
  • Allow to cool and cover with drying screen to prevent contamination and allowing ethanol to evaporate.
End result : HOPEFULLY some pretty nice THC oil.

4. Final touches

• Upon cooling at around 38-60C (100-140F) add wax vapourizer /terps to extract @ a ratio of;
- 1ml per .5g extract
- .5ml per g extract
- 10ml per g extract
- 5-15% to g extract
  • Gently stir until reaching the desired consistency.
  • Draw the contents up into a blunt tip 1/2ml dispensing syringe while still warm.
  • Attach .22um syringe filter and inject extract into your refillable Ccell 510 full glass vape cartridge.
Any blatant fails? Stupid ideas? Inefficient methods used? Please do feel free to shoot holes in my plan! Hopefully together we can make it better!

Top Bottom