THC % in days of yore

darbarikanada

the advent of legal weed has brought something like 'full disclosure' about potency - you pretty much know what you're getting. I'm curious if anyone on this forum has experience with measurements of cannabis potency back in the 60's-70's. obviously Thai stick was stronger than 'dirt weed', but what was the actual range? everyone says the potency has increased a lot; no argument there - I could smoke a joint back then and be way less high than I get on .05g of present-day flower. I'm interested if there are any forumites who actually were privy to lab measurements back then. anyone?

Baron23

the advent of legal weed has brought something like 'full disclosure' about potency - you pretty much know what you're getting. I'm curious if anyone on this forum has experience with measurements of cannabis potency back in the 60's-70's. obviously Thai stick was stronger than 'dirt weed', but what was the actual range? everyone says the potency has increased a lot; no argument there - I could smoke a joint back then and be way less high than I get on .05g of present-day flower. I'm interested if there are any forumites who actually were privy to lab measurements back then. anyone?
Check out the graphs and data here:

http://www.briancbennett.com/charts/fed-data/thc-content/thc-content-thai-stick.htm

darbarikanada

excellent! thanks. I had no idea the hash was so lame too - you'd think the Lebanese et al would've known better.

darbarikanada,

TboneToker

What is the "average THC in seized marijuana" I don't understand. How can it be 6%

TboneToker,

darbarikanada

apparently there's still lots of mediocre weed out there. maybe the fact that the 'war on drugs' has been disproportionately about busting people of color translates as lots of confiscations of Mexican and Colombian weed - not the carefully trimmed buds more affluent people buy. just a thought.

darbarikanada,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
apparently there's still lots of mediocre weed out there. maybe the fact that the 'war on drugs' has been disproportionately about busting people of color translates as lots of confiscations of Mexican and Colombian weed - not the carefully trimmed buds more affluent people buy. just a thought.
I don't know your location?
Back in the 70's we had no seeds or stems?
We pulled the male and only let the females live!

There was no $?

Are you saying the COLAS were not trimmed right?

HAWAII and CALIFORNIA including MEXICO were not brick weed?

Plus the THAI that was dusted in COCAINE?
STICKS were very normal?

Our COLAS were 4 foot long?

Nug's and TRIM were for ones feet! (when harvesting)

PURE COLAS = CIVILIZED

herbivore21

excellent! thanks. I had no idea the hash was so lame too - you'd think the Lebanese et al would've known better.
lol man the traditional hashmaking cultures did know better and very melty high quality hashes have been made by these guys for a long time - however the best hash that gets made typically is the hashmaker's headstash. The shit that gets exported is exactly that. You think that the shit that gets sent overseas is gonna be the best? Think again! 'Export quality' has always meant lesser hash from these regions - also there are obviously problems of storage in transport and smuggling is not an ideal circumstance to keep hash at it's best!

The studies cited on that website (thanks for sharing that one @Baron23!) are about illicit seizures and appear to be all US based studies. There are hardly enough samples used throughout these study of hashish to be considered statistically robust/representative of all the material available and the page does highlight this. Moreover, we can see that the THC levels rose in hashes sampled more recently after the late 90's, this is where the advent of bubble hash would have likely had an influence and Americans would have started making more local hash. In more recent times again, obviously with the advent of dabbing we now see more striving for very melty, higher quality hash to suit this new method of application.

This raises another factor - remember that in the past (especially before dabbing), many would have just smoked hash in a joint or in a bowl with a flame. Super ultra melty hash can actually be counterproductive in this scenario, where the melt could drip off your doob or melt through your rig.

In earlier times, we can see that hash is much weaker, but considering that this is no doubt the abovementioned low quality export hash from traditional hash-producing countries being consumed predominately using a flame rather than vaporization, we should not be surprised to see it being weaker than the newer methods that came about more recently made from more potent American flowers with newer techniques that were intended to be consumed differently.

However if you check out some old school documentaries of Pakistani and Afghan hashmakers they make melty high quality hash. The first hash that is beaten through the screen is always the meltiest. This material likely stays with the hashmaker in most cases as there is much less of this than the later, lesser grades of hash.

By the way, you equivocate THC% with potency, which is problematic. In my extensive experience with higher terpene containing concentrates (full melt bubble hash), 50-60% THC with 15-20% total terpenes is markedly more potent than a concentrate with 85% THC and 5-8% terpenes from the same flowers (your typical 'high THC' concentrates). Also having dabbed pure THC, it is a relatively 'directionless' high that is not especially enjoyable alone without other terps. It's all about the overall terp profile (including cannabinoids, which after all are a kind of terpenoid!). :2c:

HighSeasSailor

A more benign explanation would be that in states where prohibition enforcement is still strongest, you find on average much more low-quality imported product than high grade domestic.

But I actually expect the truth is that low grade product is imported and confiscated in much larger quantities due to the nature of the shipping. Domestic distribution is going to be a swarm of small amounts radiating through internal highways carried by small time distributors and end-user purchasers taking goodies home from the west, whereas foreign imports are going to be massive hauls that pass through (or try to avoid) checkpoints and Border Patrol, run by mules acting under the orders of terrifying drug lords who treat a percentage loss to seizures as a business expense and carry on as usual. Ergo the imports are a much more voluminous bust and contribute disproportionately to the stats shown here.

Just idle speculation.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
lots of stuff from back then had a lot more leaf, look at these pics from High Times in 1977. This is some of the 'best' stuff they had and it would get laughed at in any dispensary today. that lowers the test results noticeably.

http://iloveweed.net/2010/09/high-times-top-40-buds-of-1977/

Update:

I'll pile on about the export hash too, that's garbage compared to the good stuff that doesn't leave the country. A number of those countries will produce many grades of hash. The one I partly remember is that the best hash could also be known as 100-meter hash, being that it never travels more than 100 meters from where it is sifted before being smoked :)

Last edited:

Baron23

The studies cited on that website (thanks for sharing that one @Baron23!) are about illicit seizures and appear to be all US based studies. There are hardly enough samples used throughout these study of hashish to be considered statistically robust/representative of all the material available and the page does highlight this.

I agree...with the numbers from 70's, for example, one wonders both about the sample size (not just pounds, but number of individual seizures from different sources, yeah?) and the quality of lab testing.

I do know that in the early 70's we were getting some seriously kick ass soft hash out of the Pakistan/Afghanistan region.

Baron23

Sorry for double post but I can't edit the above anymore. Mods, please combine if needed.

@herbivore21 - just a small further thought. I just finished reading Howard Mark's book, Mr. Nice. A bit self-serving but interesting nonetheless. A lot of the hashish smuggling he did...the big shipments...was in the early 80's IIRC.

However, in the very early 70's, while living in Baltimore, we had a LOT of great soft hashish in that city and via NY. Port cities and all. I sometimes wonder if some of it wasn't from Mr. Nice and his shipments via NY's Kennedy airport! :o I was getting a LOT of great hash from NY in those days...5 lbs a week on average.

It was great stuff and I wish I had some today to compare to products we currently consume.

Cheers

herbivore21

I agree...with the numbers from 70's, for example, one wonders both about the sample size (not just pounds, but number of individual seizures from different sources, yeah?) and the quality of lab testing.

I do know that in the early 70's we were getting some seriously kick ass soft hash out of the Pakistan/Afghanistan region.

I believe it brother! I remember of the traditional import hashes that I used to get (nowhere near as long ago and also I cannot confirm where most of the hashes were exported from), the soft mid-brown stuff had some real melt to it and tasted wonderful, even burned in a joint as we did back then! The harder, darker stuff was nowhere near as good, barely stronger if at all than the admittedly incredibly high quality flower we were getting at that time (although easier to crumble up into a joint lol).

I never saw anything that more than halfway melted until I saw bubble hash (which confused the hell out of me the first time I saw it!!!! lol). With that being said, I wouldn't have wanted something that melty to put into a joint, because it makes a mess!

Sorry for double post but I can't edit the above anymore. Mods, please combine if needed.

@herbivore21 - just a small further thought. I just finished reading Howard Mark's book, Mr. Nice. A bit self-serving but interesting nonetheless. A lot of the hashish smuggling he did...the big shipments...was in the early 80's IIRC.

However, in the very early 70's, while living in Baltimore, we had a LOT of great soft hashish in that city and via NY. Port cities and all. I sometimes wonder if some of it wasn't from Mr. Nice and his shipments via NY's Kennedy airport! :o I was getting a LOT of great hash from NY in those days...5 lbs a week on average.

It was great stuff and I wish I had some today to compare to products we currently consume.

Cheers

You and me both wish that this kind of material was still around my friend! I really hope that we can see a resurgence in traditional hashes from these regions as international legalization happens!

Baron23

You and me both wish that this kind of material was still around my friend! I really hope that we can see a resurgence in traditional hashes from these regions as international legalization happens!

Yes, my friend.....but first they have to stop killing each other over there. Really tragic on every level.

herbivore21

Yes, my friend.....but first they have to stop killing each other over there. Really tragic on every level.
Sadly, we cannot separate the conflicts in these parts of the world from European colonial history nor US military history for that matter (but that is yet another discussion for yet another thread lol). The fact is that we all need to stop fighting and interfering with each other and start understanding and supporting one another more :peace:

It is entirely tragic as you say.

Top Bottom