Thank you to all veterans who have served in armed conflict.

chucku

Charles Urbane
We owe so much to those who risked everything to protect the freedoms we enjoy. Don't forget to express your appreciation whenever you can. The following video is derived from home movies shot on VJ day in Honolulu. If you know or are related to any WWII vets show this to them. It belongs in the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian.

http://vimeo.com/5645171

chucku,

lwien

Well, that brought a tear to my eye. Both my parents are gone now, but I remember my Mom telling me that her song with my dad was "I'll Be Seeing You", which was the song in that vid.
He was stationed in England during WWII intercepting German communications. I was born while he was still overseas.

Thanks chucku. Well done.............

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
My dad was the luckiest man in the army. Arrived on Oahu a month after Pearl was attacked, still smoking and stayed on Oahu for 3 1/2 years. His brother saw some of the bloodiest action in the Pacific. My uncle is still with us.

chucku,

Beezleb

A close relative was a 2nd battalion ranger that survived point du hoc on D-day and throughout Europe. Then joined the navy and fought Japan. Went on to train rangers for Korea and Vietnam. Highly decorated from Army and Navy combat.

We lost him a few years ago from cancer. He is greatly missed.

Hope everyone who celebrates the 4th had a safe and good holiday. For everyone else. Hope you had a great and safe day too!

Beezleb,

reece

Yes, thank you and thanks to anyone who has/is serving but never saw conflict. One thing we can do is pester our elected representatives so that we, as a country, do what's right by taking care of our Vets when they return. I grew up without a father due to Vietnam. My mom says he was a totally different person when he came home. That is the only way I knew him, and I am so very happy my mom was strong enough to take us two kids and leave him.

We need to recognize and treat those who come back with mental injuries as well as physical. My brother and I are very fortunate...many are not.

These people put so much on the line for us...the least we can do is go far beyond the least we can do.

reece,

lwien

reece said:
Yes, thank you and thanks to anyone who has/is serving but never saw conflict.
You're welcome. ;) Never saw conflict, thank God. Joined Air Force in 1968. 1 and half years in crypto school in San Angeleo, Texas, 1 and half years in Peshawar, Pakistan and the last year at Ft. Meade, Maryland working at NSA. Great experience though and wouldn't have traded those 4 years for anything.

But for those that did see conflict........... /salute. (a little snappier salute to those that did then didn't.) There's a new documentary out called Restrepo, a very raw and unfiltered look at what it's like to REALLY serve when "conflict" is in your job description.

lwien,
Top Bottom