Temp controlled battery for CCell carts

ChooChooCharlie

Kodo-Pro-and-Koningsdam.jpg

sometimes I use KindPen Mist, sometimes KodoPro, sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't

Mr. Me2

I just cannot get away from the kind mist.

I have not used anything since i got mine.

I hear great things about the kodo pro…but i just cannot do it.

I have even ordered a couple more mists.

It is such a great little battery.
You just made me look at the Kind website…. Have you tried the Breezy?

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: Bologna

Madtater

You just made me look at the Kind website…. Have you tried the Breezy?
Nope. Just the mist.

I mean i have looked at other batteries, but i always ask myself why i am trying to fix something that isnt broken.

Edit: Just looked at it. Has mag collars or cart size collars. That is a deal breaker for me.

Madtater,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I just cannot get away from the kind mist.

I have not used anything since i got mine.

I hear great things about the kodo pro…but i just cannot do it.
The Kudo Pro has more adjustability of temps, with a readout, starting at 1.8 volts. I don't see any of the Kind batteries with incremental settings.
I vape live rosin carts between 1.8 and 2.2 volts (as their packaging recommends), and that's lower than the Mist will go.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

I’m a fan of the Vessel Compass. And they’re having a sale up to 50% off. Best sale of the year! The Compass stand is a must (for me)!

Mr. Me2,

Madtater

The Kudo Pro has more adjustability of temps, with a readout, starting at 1.8 volts. I don't see any of the Kind batteries with incremental settings.
I vape live rosin carts between 1.8 and 2.2 volts (as their packagingvrecommends), lower than the Mist will go.
I have seen the KP. If i were to get another battery that would be the one i would get. Incremental voltage is something i don’t really care about personally.

But again, i always come back to why fix something that isnt broken. I have so many batteries, the mist is the one i settled on and i couldnt be more happy with it.

Madtater,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I'm tellin ya, imo, the best/cheapest for portablilty is this (tho mine is the branded Wulf version):
and the best/cheapest/overall durability is this, even with the 2.0 lowest voltage setting (tho I think the preheat function is 1.8?) and the magnetic collars:
I don't put much stock in the actual readout and base my opinion on my experiences with the carts I'm running, obviously.

Sure you can spend more... as is with most things :tup:

Now go find them on a better sale.... mush!

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Picked up 4 Kodo Pros from Discount Vape Pen for $55 shipped. Cute little things. Can't wait to try it. Specifically picked them up for Live Rosin carts and Live Resin carts to see how the lower volts work.

FYI...the Kodo Pro "User Manual" is at the bottom of the page/link supplied by @Bologna. Here it is again:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Picked up 4 Kodo Pros from Discount Vape Pen for $55 shipped. Cute little things. Can't wait to try it. Specifically picked them up for Live Rosin carts and Live Resin carts to see how the lower volts work.
You will find a range, both in the actual voltage display, obviously, and how they run/hit along the life of the charge... the uni pro plus seems to have much better overall power/voltage management throughout the life of the charge... those extra .2 lower on the voltage doesn't mean didly, ime.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm tellin ya, imo, the best/cheapest for portablilty is this (tho mine is the branded Wulf version):
and the best/cheapest/overall durability is this, even with the 2.0 lowest voltage setting (tho I think the preheat function is 1.8?) and the magnetic collars:
I don't put much stock in the actual readout and base my opinion on my experiences with the carts I'm running, obviously.

Sure you can spend more... as is with most things :tup:

Now go find them on a better sale.... mush!
Yes, we have one of each of these. While I like the form of the Uni Pro Box, the mag adapters have been finicky and frustrating, so I like the simplicity of the Kudo Pro screw-on. Just have to get another 'cause my wife doesn't want to give hers up!
Btw, on both (despite some of the literature) the low setting is 1.8 volts. I assume they both run the same firmware. I wouldn't care if the temps were presets, if they at least had low options. I haven't let the batteries run far enough down to notice performance drop, though I feel that a given setting on one does correspond to same on the other, in this low range where I tend to hang out.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Yes, we have one of each of these. While I like the form of the Uni Pro Box, the mag adapters have been finicky and frustrating, so I like the simplicity of the Kudo Pro screw-on. Just have to get another 'cause my wife doesn't want to give hers up!
Btw, on both (despite some of the literature) the low setting is 1.8 volts. I assume they both run the same firmware. I wouldn't care if the temps were presets, if they at least had low options. I haven't let the batteries run far enough down to notice performance drop, though I feel that a given setting on one does correspond to same on the other, in this low range where I tend to hang out.
Awesome!

Uni Pro, or Uni Pro Plus....?

I've only used my daughter's Uni Pro Plus a few times since I got it for her last 4/20, so I don't have all that much experience with it but I did notice that the lowest setting hit nicer on it and she says she prefers the magnetic rings... I think they may be dif than the ones the older "tank" (much heavier/beefier) Uni Pro uses...?

Last edited:
Bologna,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Having a cart battery that shows the “ohms”, is very helpful for determining if you have a good connection between cart & battery. This is especially important if your device requires a 510 screw-on adapter. I often use ISO to wipe all connection points as well. When out of the home, I don’t mind using the 3 presets on the Kind Mist, as it doesn’t use any magnetic adapters, and it’s the smallest device I’ve seen. When using my other devices, like the YOCAN Uni, with its magnetic adapter, the ohms can be dramatically different, how loose or tight I screw on the adapter, can also effect the ohms readings, and since these devices use the ohm readings to set delivered power, your HIT can vary wildly. The Koda Pro is the 2nd smallest device compared to the Mist, but does not use a cart adapter, and gives you the ohms information, so it’s the most complete in features I use, in a tiny size.

Using a cart battery with adapters and NO ohm readout, is “flying blind”….

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Uni Pro, or Uni Pro Plus....?
The only Uni I've had is the Uni Pro Plus, so I don't know about variation in the adapter rings from older models. I know I paid too much, about $40 direct from Yucan last April! I like how it encloses the cart; I could do without the height adjustability. And those mag adapters....pita.
I remember getting this mod because the carts I had purchased were wide, didn't fit in the batteries I had at the time.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
The only Uni I've had is the Uni Pro Plus, so I don't know about variation in the adapter rings from older models. I know I paid too much, about $40 direct from Yucan last April! I like how it encloses the cart; I could do without the height adjustability. And those mag adapters....pita.
I remember getting this mod because the carts I had purchased were wide, didn't fit in the batteries I had at the time.
Cool.

I guess to me, I'd rather take an Uni Pro Plus on a big hike or all-day or weekend trip, or whatever, for many obvious reasons, but have a Kodo Pro, too, for in the car and pocket "around the town"... I'm not much for lanyards and the Uni isn't small...:tup:

Edit:

$13.99 here:

And $26.24 here:

Plus whatever discount codes you can find out there.... ✌️

Last edited:

His_Highness

The Yocan Kodo Pro displays resistance/Ohms. Does anyone know how to use resistance to calculate what the volt value should be set to? I searched for "Ohms" and "Resistance" and came up empty in FC....is there a thread for this question already?

It seems that as a cart is used the resistance can change and adjusting the volt setting based on the resistance can improve things. So I'm guessing that being able to set the volts based on the resistance of a new cart and continuing to adjust the volts as the resistance changes might make using carts a better experience.

I went through enough Google to know I don't know shit.

His_Highness,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
The Yocan Kodo Pro displays resistance/Ohms. Does anyone know how to use resistance to calculate what the volt value should be set to? I searched for "Ohms" and "Resistance" and came up empty in FC....is there a thread for this question already?

It seems that as a cart is used the resistance can change and adjusting the volt setting based on the resistance can improve things. So I'm guessing that being able to set the volts based on the resistance of a new cart and continuing to adjust the volts as the resistance changes might make using carts a better experience.

Calling Dr @RustyOldNail...!

RustyOldNail

Well there are a lot of online “ohm calculators”. One example:

But, not sure how that would help. The ohm readings you see are the baseline that sets up the formula on the device. If you have a good connection between the battery and device, the ohms shouldn’t deviate much. When I see a large difference, it’s usually a wanky connection caused by the devices that use the magnetic adapters.

Since you can’t manually change the OHMS on these inexpensive battery devices, it wouldn’t matter if you use volts or watts, the output is still tied to the baseline reading of the detected ohms. As I keep an eye on the ohm readout, I just adjust up/down based on the “hit” quality. Even when my ohms are consistent, I notice a vapor drop off as the cart gets close to empty, so I boost the voltage to compensate. Basically it’s all feel, no formula.

Thunderbelch

This is why we need cart batts with wattage mode. That's exactly what wattage mode does, it adjusts the voltage to compensate for resistance variances and you end up with consistent power, which is the thing that determines how much heat is put into a cart.

That's still not as good as actual temperature control (which you can't get in a cart), but it's waaaay better than voltage based settings.

His_Highness

Well there are a lot of online “ohm calculators”. One example:

But, not sure how that would help. The ohm readings you see are the baseline that sets up the formula on the device. If you have a good connection between the battery and device, the ohms shouldn’t deviate much. When I see a large difference, it’s usually a wanky connection caused by the devices that use the magnetic adapters.

Since you can’t manually change the OHMS on these inexpensive battery devices, it wouldn’t matter if you use volts or watts, the output is still tied to the baseline reading of the detected ohms. As I keep an eye on the ohm readout, I just adjust up/down based on the “hit” quality. Even when my ohms are consistent, I notice a vapor drop off as the cart gets close to empty, so I boost the voltage to compensate. Basically it’s all feel, no formula.
If I'm not mistaken (And I probably am) you need 2 values to calculate and set the volts based on the Ohm Calculator..... resistance/ohms and power/watts. Am I mistaken that the Kodo Pro only supplies resistance/ohms and not power/watts so there's no way to complete the calculation?

His_Highness,

His_Highness

It is a $20 510 cart battery not a science project.

Why would having a wattage setting matter?
I've gone down the rabbit hole after learning that there are batteries that self correct after detecting the resistance of the connected coil and adjusting the available power settings accordingly. Unfortunately variable volt devices like the Kodo Pro cannot self correct and have to be manually set if you're trying to optimize the use of a cart. If I'm not mistaken a battery that works using watts instead of volts can be self correcting.

What I've read suggests that regardless of whether its self correcting or manually corrected by setting volts the result can be carts that last longer, taste better, aren't as harsh, leak less and don't burn out as often.

Its all new to me and has peaked my curiosity ..... mainly because I have a bunch of dead batteries, tired of harsh tasting draws and leaky, dead carts. At this stage of my exposure to a new complex topic I usually over-simplify the concepts so I've reached out here to see if anyone else fell down that rabbit hole and could save me the trial, error and frustration. For all I know I may find out its not worth all the effort and others who already looked into it already found that out.

His_Highness,

delacr0ix

for what it's worth i run cartridges on a Wismec Predator P228 box mod. Loaded the Arctic Fox firmware and set the upper wattage limit to 8w so I can't pop an atomizer like popcorn. Can adjust the wattage up or down by 0.1 increments and like others have said on here the box mod will measure the coil resistance automagically and is measured every time the cart is swapped out. The box mod will maintain the set wattage and will regulate power required to maintain it as you draw, etc.

Box mod is by far the best option for carts, in my opinion. You get voltage and wattage control. Coil resistance measured and adjusted per cart you attach. The hits are smoother and more consistent. Less likely to burn or overheat the oil if you're controlling things appropriately. No such thing as a blinker because the box mod will just draw at the correct power output the entire time and never overheat.

RustyOldNail

What I've read suggests that regardless of whether its self correcting or manually corrected by setting volts the result can be carts that last longer, taste better, aren't as harsh, leak less and don't burn out as often.

I have many ECig mods, most have wattage or voltage, and some others have crude TC (temp control), and then my larger ones that use Evolv DNA boards for accurate temp control.

I have NOT experienced any of those issues you mentioned using the Koda, and other TINY 510 battery devices.
Nor, have I found any improvement using wattage devices for these simple carts. For carts I just keep it simple, and prefer the smaller devices.

Top Bottom