Switching from Extreme Q, what to get?

bazzles

I've recently switched entirely to vaporizing using the whip on my Extreme Q through my water pipes. I was thinking of switching from my current vaporizer to a whip-only vaporizer since I don't use the bag at all. I have a friend that wants my Extreme Q and offered $120 I said that sounded fine with me and we agreed that if I found a vaporizer I wanted to switch to he would gladly take the Extreme off my hands since he wants a bag and whip vaporizer, and this way I could negate the cost of the new vaporizer slightly. So I'm quiet torn between a few things.

I mainly use the Extreme in the temp. range (200c-220c) and always through a water pipe.

I was looking at a few different vaporizers. The DBV was the first one I set my mind on. Then started wondering if the SSV was worth the extra bit of money involved. But then I looked at the HI and started thinking that would be equally nice as either of those since I don't use the whip on its own, ever. So, what do you all think? I guess I am mainly looking for an efficient vaporizer to use through a water pipe.

Also, thinking maybe the Thermovape because of its portability but I wouldn't be using it away from an outlet for the most part. I guess I can think of a few times where I would be in need of a vaporizer like camping and adventuring with friends, hah. But all-in-all unless I buy a decent supply of batteries I would need an outlet eventually with the Thermovape. What to do?:uhoh:

I was looking at the Cloud but the price is a bit much for me at this time or that would be my top choice.

bazzles,

Kaptan

Efficient, ease of use with a water pipe, great taste, and portable when needed - try the SOLO. I have an extreme q, it sits in a drawer unused. The solo stem with a small piece of silicone on the tip fits perfectly in a 14mm gong. The battery will last about 10 sessions between charges.

Kaptan,

scottio19

scotty
I think you should go with the HI, or one of the UD twigs which are about the same price. (solo like the person above me said if you want portability). I'm thinking about buying a UD myself because it won't get too hot on a car's 13.5v current, otherwise I would get the HI.

both have the efficiency only log vapes can have, both connect to a 14mm downstem for vaporbonging, and both are considered harder hitting than the "old generation" of log vapes

the supreme vaporizer is also another choice, butane-powered but considered one of the hardest hitting vapes out there for bonging. its cheaper than the cloud if you don't want to fork up $450. an electric model (of the supreme) is also coming out soon, so you could also wait for that

scottio19,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I am also thinking of buying a new vape for my bedroom. I use the Q in my office, and a borrowed herbalAire is used at night right now. I have been on the waiting list for the Cloud, but I am starting to get sick of waiting. I like the idea of the Solo, but I guess it has it's problems with smell or something. And I don't really understand how it plugs into a bong or bubbler. Does it have a stem that actually has a 14mm joint?

Tstat,
I just got a Q after having tried many other vapes. Using the elbow pack methods and smaller bowls at higher temps, I find a good vapor density can be achieved with water or whip. I also value the bag blowing utility, so I'm in a slightly different boat, but you still might want to pause before moving to a vape like the DBV which IMO is about the same performance wise with the Q + elbow pack method when used out of glass.

The Solo, if you get a good one, is a great and versatile portable. It's great for low temps, high temps, has a reasonable battery life, low learning curve, etc.. There are many on the board however who have complained of headaches, horrible smells, I personally have dealt with two flaking ceramic bowls, etc.. It is in a way one of the more controversial vaporizers, as well as one of the most widely popular as of late it seems. Also of note is that the company has proven that they'll stand behind their product and issue warranty replacements, both with their Extreme/V-tower line and also the Solo; they've also been skeptical of customer concerns and complaints and slow to change and only occasionally transparant on issues which have come up. Hope that helps some.

The Thermovape looks promising in absolutely every way to me except its battery life. The design is sleek and cool, reviews have been good, it gets low temp or high temp, and it even glows, man. :)

charliedontsurf,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I've had DBV and while it is a great vape, I sold mine when my Underdog out performed it in every single way.

I HIGHLY suggest you say hello in the Underdog thread. Sounds like a twig would be the perfect fit for you. If you use it mostly at home, and with or without glass it will be fantastic. You will use far less bud than in a DBV and in my experience get as high or higher at the same time.

If you are not in NEED of a portable, I'd caution against trying to make a portable your home vape as well. There are some options in the portable market, but none will outperform a home vape without some drawbacks.

Check out the Underdog thread and be prepared to be blown away. I've never hit a vape with such a kick, and the fact that it can deliver the strongest (that I've tried out of MANY vapes) punch, with a miniscule amount of herb....clear winner in my book.

Happy vaping.

darkrom,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
If your looking for a nice home vape I would agree that the Underdog is a good choice. No learning curve, conservative, big hits, and great taste. Truly hard to beat. I also have been on the cloud wait list for a while but ended up buying an Underdog to hold me over, I now own 5 of them. Really nice vape that definitely gets the job done with a very small amount.

Gonzo,

bazzles

Looks like now I'm rather caught between the UD and HI. Can anyone comment on the main differences between the two? I like the variable power supply that comes with the HI. I believe the bowl styles are slightly different right? (with one having a slightly larger lip?) The price difference isn't too substantial so it is really either one or the other for me right now. I imagine the UD Twigs are practically the same as the HI, right?

bazzles,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I have read good things about the HI as well but don't have one to compare with the UD. I do know that UD offers a variable power supply as well. I Emailed the owner(Dave) and got him to send me one. Works great, I have to admit though that I rarely take it above 12. I find 12 is a good number for flower and am have limited access to concentrates where I live.

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Tstat said:
I am also thinking of buying a new vape for my bedroom. I use the Q in my office, and a borrowed herbalAire is used at night right now. I have been on the waiting list for the Cloud, but I am starting to get sick of waiting. I like the idea of the Solo, but I guess it has it's problems with smell or something. And I don't really understand how it plugs into a bong or bubbler. Does it have a stem that actually has a 14mm joint?

Some members had those made, but you can't just buy Solo stems with a GonG connector. But the stems simply fit in a 14,4mm GonG connection. Some prefer to put a small piece of tubing over the end of the mouthpiece to make a better seal, but I don't find a need for that myself. The newer 4 hole stems for improved airflow that come with the latest model are a bit thinner than the old ones though. My new straight stem slides right through my GonG connection, but a bit underneath the connection the downstem of my Ehle gets a bit thinner so my seal is just made a little lower now. I can see this becoming a problem with some other downstems though, but it's still nothing you can't fix with a simple piece of tubing like described above.

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
bazzles said:
Looks like now I'm rather caught between the UD and HI. Can anyone comment on the main differences between the two? I like the variable power supply that comes with the HI. I believe the bowl styles are slightly different right? (with one having a slightly larger lip?) The price difference isn't too substantial so it is really either one or the other for me right now. I imagine the UD Twigs are practically the same as the HI, right?

I don't see a single negative review of the Underdog anywhere to be read, and Gonzo loves it enough to have FIVE of them haha. I myself am waiting on my second. I can't speak on the HI since I don't have one, but what you do get with the UD is the best customer support I've ever experienced and a personal vape. He can make you custom work, but even one off the site is still 100% unique. I am officially OFF THE MARKET for home vapes, and that says a lot since I've gone through quite my share. I literally have nothing more to ask from a home vaporizer since filling bags isn't something I'd ever have the urge to do. I hope to see you in the UD thread soon!

darkrom,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
First let me say that I do appreciate and totally love the log type vaporizers. I especially love it for the bedroom, as my wife thinks they are beautiful.

Ok, I had a PD for a while, and although it was awesome in so many ways, I need something that hits bigger for my bedtime regiment. So, I need BIG hits, nice looks, and it has to be cool with glass.

Tstat,

treecityrnd

LSV, especially with all that fine glass Tstat. You can match any joint and it has almost unlimited accessories. It's a glass lovers dream. An I have not found anything that hits bigger directly through glass. Charlie just sold his. Maybe he can play devil's advocate here...

treecityrnd,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
An LSV was my first home vape and I used it everyday up until I got my UD. After that, it sat in the case until the day I sold it. IMO, any one of my UD's hits just as hard as my LSV.

Gonzo,

scottio19

scotty
Gonzo said:
An LSV was my first home vape and I used it everyday up until I got my UD. After that, it sat in the case until the day I sold it. IMO, any one of my UD's hits just as hard as my LSV.

funny how log vapes can go from some of the the least hard hitting vaporizers to a "hard-hitting" log like the UD. I almost feel like this is a hoax.. but 60+ pages of positive reviews don't lie.

scottio19,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Hmmm... Ok, I just don't know and will have to jump on some research. So, I don't care at all about conserving my meds, for this application I'd like a heavy hitter (nighttime meds for pain and sleep). BUT it can't look like a giant cannon or some weird device. That's why I loved my PD, but it just didn't medicate me like the Q. But see, I could never have a Q in the bedroom. My wife would hate it! I need something that looks nice (or at least discreet) and that hits heavy for indica/sleep inducing.

Tstat,

treecityrnd

Gonzo said:
No doubt. I would put any of my CRZ right up there with any UD. However...a log vape will most likely never have the load size of a vape like the LSV. I can milk a log stem in a hit or two with large glassware. If I tried to finish a full LSV load in one hit you might have to call the ER.

The other nice part about the LSV in the bedroom (besides the shape...ok, bad joke) is the fact that you can just throw it in your night stand when done. That's what I do. It is never seen during the day...just my CRZs are out. After dark...its me any my LSV. Then I put her to bed. With only a 3 minute wake-up time, she can also be an early riser.

treecityrnd,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
treecityrnd said:
No doubt. I would put any of my CRZ right up there with any UD. However...a log vape will most likely never have the load size of a vape like the LSV. I can milk a log stem in a hit or two with large glassware. If I tried to finish a full LSV load in one hit you might have to call the ER.

I would agree with that as well. My LSV definitely held more material than the UD can even though you can extend the size of the UD bowl. When using my UD with glass I will usually get 3 nice hits and one weaker hit. When using the LSV with glass I would get about the same amount of hits using the same amount of material. I personally needed something I could leave in plain sight similar to Tstat and could not do this with the LSV or similar device.

Gonzo,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, it doesn't have to be totally stealth, it just can't look like a giant MJ devise. Just something that fits in... I mean it will have a nice piece of glass next to it. I guess I don't want a whip, but again, the main concern is quick medication. The one thing I didn't like about the PD was I has to stand there for a long time hitting it.

I need something for my bedroom (that the wife wont hate and that is not obterusive) that can deliver thick, medicinal hits. I thought the Cloud was going to be it, but I can't wait any longer. I may still buy a Cloud, but there must be something out there that fits my situation!

Tstat,

bazzles

So it looks like I might be getting a UD Twig, hopefully a Claro Walnut Burl, but I do have a question to UD twig users. What does the ABV of the twigs look like generally? Is it able to vape to a medium brown or something like the EQ at 220c? I noticed they have a 1/4" hear core right?

bazzles,

Kaptan

Tstat said:
Yea, it doesn't have to be totally stealth, it just can't look like a giant MJ devise. Just something that fits in... I mean it will have a nice piece of glass next to it. I guess I don't want a whip, but again, the main concern is quick medication. The one thing I didn't like about the PD was I has to stand there for a long time hitting it.

I need something for my bedroom (that the wife wont hate and that is not obterusive) that can deliver thick, medicinal hits. I thought the Cloud was going to be it, but I can't wait any longer. I may still buy a Cloud, but there must be something out there that fits my situation!
A few others may not agree, but I suggest you take a closer look at the Solo.

Kaptan,
Top Bottom